Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

Dec 262018

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

My fuel pump control module PN20759945 shorted. Recall bulletin 14515 covers my model year and part number. However, GM claims my VIN is not covered by this. This is the same part and same failure listed in the recall bulletin, and imo it should be covered by GM. Fcpm's are poorly designed and poorly placed and fail on many many GM models over a number of years. This is an item that should be expanded to include all vehicles with that part number, especially if they are mounted externally and exposed to the environment such as on all Chevy sliverados and related trucks. The fault in my case was a check engine light, and not a crank no start. I took the truck to GM for diagnosis. They said the fcpm needs replaced as it shows and internal fault. This is an expensive part and service, which should be covered by GM under the bulletin imo.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Feb 142019

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I was driving about to get on the highway as I came to on ramp I heard a noise as continued seemed to get louder so I pulled over and had it towed approx 70-80K miles, replaced wheel bearings sides. Continuous multiple misfire, driving vehicle starts to shake loss of power... callaps/ frozen lifter(s) with only 110K, tail gate latch have to bungee to keep closed, transmission replaced before recommended factory tansmission/ transfer case change... problems ranged from approx 2013 to present. Now dealing with lifter(s)...

- Verona, PA, USA

Jan 212018

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While at a red light, the vehicle idled roughly and the check engine and stability control warning indicators illuminated. The contact called rick hendrick Chevrolet charleston (1500 savannah hwy, charleston, SC 29407, (843) 300-1232) and was informed to purchase a new vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Oct 312018

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 50 mph, the check engine indicator illuminated and the engine shut down a few minutes later. The vehicle was towed to dave white Chevrolet (419-885-4444, located at 5880 monroe St, sylvania, oh 43560) where the technician diagnosed and replaced the fuel pump control module. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there was no recall. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 65,199. Consumer stated all info is correct. Updated 12/19/18

- Toledo, OH, USA

Mar 102009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle shook and made an abnormal ticking noise. In addition, the stabilitrak and traction control warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to bredemann Chevrolet (1401 w dempster St, park ridge, il 60068, (847) 698-1234) where it was diagnosed that a code was found on cylinder 7. the spark plug wire was replaced, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle warranty was expired. The approximate failure mileage was 59,500.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 292018

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The lifters in the 5.3 engines are completely trash. Everyone who has a silver with the 5.3 has to change lifters often. My lifters has went out 2 times in the last 5 months. This is a big flaw in the Silverado. I was driving down the highway at about 70 an all of the sudden my engine light starts flashing and my truck starts ticking and missing really bad.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Mar 212018

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

On March 21, 2018, at or close to 1:45 pm, while driving my 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 the instrument cluster began illuminating and producing auditable alarms. The message center indicated to ┐check oil pressure.┐ during this failure, I lost all motive power and had to maneuver the vehicle off of the highway's traffic as other vehicles were following me, one of which came very close to rear-ending me. I had the vehicle towed to a repair facility in which they had indicated that this was something they had replaced, on separate occasions with this type of vehicle on at least four previous occasions. The repair facility has indicated that it was due to an ┐oil pump failure┐ that is located inside the engine. The mileage is 112,651; I sure would not expect such a catastrophic failure that endangered other motorists and myself. There was not any warning of this failure; the check engine light had not been illuminated before this failure.

- Colon, MI, USA

Feb 022018

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

My Silverado is not covered under any recall, I was driving my two children back home from school, all of a sudden I lost power in the pedal, the check engine came on, and flashed reduced engine power came on, at this time I had a log truck behind me, I had no place to pull off the road, since the snow banks here in Maine are huge, this was extremely unsafe, the truck almost rear ended me, there should me a recall on my type of pickup, with my bob number. I ask a GM dealer and they said that similar models are covered but not mine. I had the dealer check the code and it came back as a P2135 code, tsp sensor

- St Francis, ME, USA

Aug 152015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

It is a 5.3 eng. It use 2 at of oil a week if you idle the eng. It has done that ever sense I got the truck it had 40,000 when I got

- Pittston, PA, USA

Apr 272017

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

On thursdsy, April 27, 2017, I parked my 2009 Chevy Silverado at home in my driveway after work and shut it off for the night. It was stationary at that point. I did not restart it or move it for the remainder of the day/evening. The next morning, the engine would not start. It sounded like it was going to start, but to no avail after several tries. I determined it was not getting fuel. I called a local auto repair tech who diagnosed it on site, to be a faulty chassis electronic control module, which sends fuel to the fuel pump. Upon researching the problem, I found a recall bulletin / product safety recall #14515B issued January 2015. It clearly states that the 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado (along with many other makes/models/years) may have a chassis electronic module could have internal contamination (water, build-up causing wire and bolt corrosion). I believe this to be the case for my vehicle. According to the bulletin, the unsafe factor is that the "vehicle could stall while in motion and increase the risk of a vehicle crash." www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ucm472842/rcrit-14V614-0055.pdf I am the third owner so I did not receive a recall notice directly. I purchased this vehicle May 24, 2016.

- South Royalton, VT, USA

Mar 212017

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. When the contact attempted to start the vehicle, all the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact's uncle checked the vehicle and determined that the engine failed to receive fuel. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,000.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Mar 052017

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The engine is making a ticking noise and in sounds like its coming out of the lower right part of the engine sound lime the camshaft

- Wasco, CA, USA

Jan 092017

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Engine oil consumption without warning driving down the road my truck starts dinging for my engine oil pressure is low and to shut off engine immediately. I pull over and check oil and it is not even on the dipstick. I am 1600 miles into my oil change so as recommended by Chevy I shouldn't have to change my oil but every 5000 miles, but I have always changed it every 3000. So I should have another 1400 miles to go before changing but instead in about 3 quarts low. This is not the first time but I watch it very carefully since the last time. Now I am worried it will total my engine after seeing how much oil is being burned. Never a drop on the ground just going somewhere in the engine.

- El Campo, TX, USA

Jun 132016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The afm (lifters) and camshaft all needed to be replaced due to oil consumption issues. The truck started to make a knocking sound so I stopped and checked the oil and didn't have any showing on dip stick. Changed oil that day and two weeks later the vehicle went into reduce power mode. I took to dealership for repair and they told be it was lifters and camshaft. After doing research on internet it seems that from 2007-2013 5.3 engines are having oil consumption issues due to afm active fuel management system on truck

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Apr 112016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Truck had been sitting overnight. Woke up to 3rd brake light on. Opened cab door, smelled like smoke and check engine light on, would not turn over. Pop hood and the fuse box and wiring harness had been on fire, were completely melted. Insurance company won't cover because there was not substantial proof of fire, and could not find source. Filed a formal complaint with GM after the dealership told us the wiring harness had been discontinued (on a 7 year old truck). GM won't do anything because they cannot find the source, and they have yet to acknowledge that they discontinued a part. We have no way of fixing this truck.

- Eden, NY, USA

May 212016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Oil relieve valve stuck shut not letting pressure crank valve to operate and fouling number one cylinder in motion on a city street causing stability trac and the trac control lights came on cel is flashing and vehicle is running rough. Happened all at once. Only 61181 miles on vehicle.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

May 022016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle hesitated to drive properly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be rebuilt and reprogrammed. The transmission was shipped to a third party where it was rebuilt. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred more violently causing the vehicle to roll back when the vehicle was shifted into drive. The contact stated that the check engine warning indicator illuminated intermittently. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 155,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Laquey, MO, USA

Apr 162016

High oil consumption.

- Cabot, AR, USA

Mar 122013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Using excessive engine oil: 3 qts. Between oil changes, dealership says its the energy management system

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jan 222016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I have complainted of excessive oil consumption numerous times to my dealership since day 1. 50K miles they replace the oil pump and rebuilt the lower part of the motor. 97K miles I have P0300 code which is a rapid misfire. The truck immediately lost power and began vibrating. The #4 cylinder has no compression. No warranty, not sure what's next. Not sure what the problem is.

- Bradenton, FL, USA