Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Suburban:

Feb 022018

Brake lines rusted and brakes failed twice while driving vehicle. There were no accidents. First incident was the rear brake line burst. I replaced the rusted brake line. Front brake line burst 6 months after rear brake line was replaced. All front brake lines were so rusted, I removed and replaced all of them as a precaution. The brake lines rusted in areas where they were clamped, so that salt and dirt could not be cleaned out. Brake lines were unpainted bare steel.

- Lakeland, MN, USA

Aug 042017

Brakes failed while driving 60mph on highway I-476 (philadelphia pa) with the family in the vehicle. Upon braking to stop for traffic, the brake pedal went directly to the floor and pumping the pedal several times did not result in any braking of the vehicle. After managing to get the vehicle to a stop on the side of the road, and then pumping the brake pedal several more times, brake fluid could be seen coming from underneath the vehicle at both the area around the rear axle and the area under the drivers side seat. Later, inspection of the brake lines found them all to be severely rusted. After reading that this is an existing problem with GM vehicles, it is greatly disappointing, to say the least, that no notification or recall was given. Such a severe and scary safety problem should require at least notification of customers and better quality design/control of braking components.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Feb 042017

Corroded and leaking brake lines. ABS activating during low speed braking.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Mar 232016

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban. While driving approximately 5 mph, the brake pedal pulsated without warning. The contact depressed the brake pedal to the floor to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there was no recall. The failure did not recur. The failure mileage was approximately 220,000.

- Wausaukee, WI, USA

Jan 132017

When I apply the brakes at low speed I feel a chattering like the anti-lock brakes are activated and the car won't stop until I let up and re-apply pressure to the pedal. I've come close to an accident more than once.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 242016

Had my truck looked at by all american Chevrolet in 2014 after I read your article a couple of years ago, and while they said the lines looked rusty underneath the truck, things looked ok. The GM exec adam adler was estimating a $500 repair cost, and figured it was no big deal when I eventually got to that point. I also read that GM said if a problem occured I'd not lose braking because it was a double system, and that I would also get an indictation on the dash of a problem. Sadly over the christmas holiday 2016, I experienced a total brake line failure, and luckily no one was hurt. The repair was not the $500 estimated by GM it was over $2,000. "..G.M. does not comment on other automakers┐ recalls, alan adler, a spokesman for G.M., wrote in an email. Adam adler GM added that General Motors had developed a parts kit last year for the brake lines..." ┐these are available through dealers and the aftermarket, ┐ he said. ┐based on time studies, the repair including labor should cost about $500. We can only suggest how much labor time the repair should take.┐ I also received no warning on the dash of the truck when the lines failed, and the fluid was pouring onto the road, I could see a trail of it behind the car. Luckily I had kept the emergency brake well maintained and I downshifted the truck to stop and had it towed by aaa to the shop. Can we talk about this or who at GM should I speak with? when the brakes failed I needed to get the truck repaired right away and the cost was over $2200. 732-310-2520 stephen w smith

- Middletown, NJ, USA

Jul 022016

While driving home, on a highway, I approached a traffic light that changed and I had to hit the brakes to stop. The brake pedal went to the floor. After getting it home I checked the brakes and they looked as thought they should work (note it was inspected in Dec 2015 and passed). After more checking I found that the brake lines on the drivers side frame rail were rusted and had failed as that area was covered in brake fluid. I purchased my 2002 Z71 Suburban new that year and it has less than 66,000 miles on it now.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

May 102016

All brake warning lights light up intermittently, I can make them go off sometimes by shutting down and restarting engine, but not always. Recall # 05V379000 covers same model year vehicles in the "salt belt" states, corrosion issue! my local dealer says there is no recall on this vehicle for brake sensor problems. Brakes still function normally even with all warning lights "on". I want this problem repaired under a safety recall! I can't allow anyone else in the family to drive this vehicle under these conditions. I am a mechanic, no one else in the family would know what to do if the brakes actually do fail while driving.

- Abbeville, LA, USA

May 082016

Wife was driving the truck with her mother, went to stop and the brake pedal went to the floor - limped the truck home - checked master cylinder, added fluid and when we pushed the pedal, fluid came pouring out the corroded rear brake line - while no one was hurt this time, it is easy to imagine how it could otherwise been a disaster.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Apr 212016

The rear brake line failed for the second time and caused me to have accident. The issue is that the front brakes did not stop the vehicle and the brake pedal went to the floor. When this happened the first time 2009 the dealer changed the master cylinder and other brake components stating that is why the front brakes didn't work however this failure was exactly the same as the first incident absolutely no brakes.

- Middle Village, NY, USA

Jan 152002

The parking brake on this vehicle has never worked properly since new and now I get a rejection sticker in the state where I live due to this and then have to spend money to repair it and it still does not work. It will not hold even on the slightest incline. Very dangerous.

- Fries, VA, USA

Nov 172015

Brake line has corroded and rubbed a hole in the brake line and leaded fluided. Has been replaced and is rubbing in same place on frame again.

- Colonial Beach, VA, USA

Sep 282015

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the anti lock brake activated without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Commack, NY, USA

Sep 042012

Brake line rotted out resulting in near collision. Second failure in Aug. Of 2015 both events were a near collision. This vehicle has been kept in near perfect condition as a hauler for my trailer, now fear to use as all lines look bad, should have been made of a non corossive material. Vehicle spent most of it's life in Vermont

- Toccoa, GA, USA

Sep 132015

Driving in close traffic (bumper to bumper) uphill on two lane bridge, brake pedal just went to the floor, and no brakes! frantically, I worked the emergency brake to the top of the bridge. Going down the bridge I coasted (no area to pull off), once off the bridge and safe to pull over I did so. Nothing appeared wrong, so I tried the brakes a number of times, and decided I could make the.5 mile rest of way home. Once there, I found fluid level down over half way. After searching found hard bake line had holds in it. After searching my brake lines, they appear to all be rusted badly. In all the vehicles I've owned, I've never had brake lines fail like this. In searching the web sites I find that Chevy may have used inferior metals for their brake lines during this time frame. If this is true, why have they not taken care of correcting this issue? thanks, concerned.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Aug 032015

My antilock brakes are going off at slow speeds, almost causing accident, going about 4-5 mph, need to know if my VIN is covered in recall

- Moundsville, WV, USA

Jul 312015

Driving down L street in omaha, Nebraska approaching 96th street. Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and vehicle would not stop. I was able to pull to the side of the road just before light at 96th St on a slight hill which assisted vehicle stopping. The brake master cylinder was low. The car was towed to yeck's auto in bellevue, ne. Had I been following other vehicles closely or approached a quick changing yellow light the vehicle would not have stopped. Yeck's auto has since determined the brake lines failed. After internet investigation yields that GM has known about this defect. No warning lights, no indication of a problem. This vehicle needs to be recalled. The vehicle has been serviced at beardmore Chevrolet in bellevue, ne at prescribed intervals since day 1. GM saying this is normal is frankly unacceptable. How many people have not been as lucky as I was on this day.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Jul 272015

Started vehicle put in reverse to back up and when applied brakes they pedal was soft and then went to floor and vehicle hit a tree. Brake lines are rusted severely.

- Highland Heights, KY, USA

Jun 172008

Suburban 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban 2500. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and the brakes would pulsate and increase stopping distance. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 07V521000 (engine and engine cooling) and 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who replaced the crank shaft sensor. The vehicle was not repaired for the brake failure. The failure mileage was 113,204. Updated 6/8/15 updated 10/2/2017

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Sep 232014

Went to press on the brake pedal to put the vehicle into drive and the brake pedal went to the floor. I put the vehicle in park got out and brake fluid was coming out from under the car near the front of the drivers door.

- Tipp City, OH, USA