Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe:

Jun 012013

Tahoe

Engine started with a ticking noise when cold. Would go away after engine warmed up. Upon inspection found 2 exhaust manifold bolts sheared on #7 cylinder, 1 broken on #8. ticking coming from exhaust leak on #7. upon research found that this is a common issue with these engines. Why is there no recall or safety notice as it presents a real hazard for fire and exhaust fumes entering passenger compartment.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Aug 142012

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that the cylinder heads fractured on the vehicle and the engine overheated. The contact had the vehicle inspected by a mechanic and it was found that coolant leaked into the engine. The contact was told that if this continues the engine will eventually fail. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 115,000 and the current mileage was 117,000.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jul 072012

Tahoe 8-cyl

I started having problems with my 2004 Chevy Tahoe is September 2009 when the vehicle only had 71,000 miles. The vehicle was using a lot of oil and I took it to the dealership and they notified me that their was no oil leaks and performed a compression test. Since that date I have needed to add additional oil in between oil changes. In the last couple of months it started to use a lot of coolant. I have added about 4 gallons of coolant in the past two months. I took the vehicle to the dealer and was notified that the left cylinder head was leaking coolant in the engine. After further research I found that the castech heads in this model were porous which caused them to crack. The dealer is recommending that the engine be replaced at a cost of $6400. I feel Chevy should be responsible for this repair since they are aware that the problem has to do with the castech heads.

- Fallbrook, CA, USA