Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

May 152009

Trailblazer

Repeated instances of speedometer failing to read correct speed. Often reads up to 120 mph while stopped. Random behavior. Has been occurring for last 8 months. Can be temporarily corrected by repeatedly turning ignition on and off without starting engine. Occurs when driving at normal highway speeds. Speedometer continues to climb until it hits its limit at well over 120 mph regardless of actual speed or when stopped. Very unsafe condition, particularly for people who are limited in their ability to judge speeds.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Jan 132010

Trailblazer

Jan 13, 2010 I started my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer and the entire instrument panel was not working. There has been no accident, fire, flood or any other thing that would have caused this to happen. I do not feel I can safely drive my vehicle and am not aware of any recalls even though I have found hundreds of other similar complaints of the same problem.

- Barryton, MI, USA

Jan 112010

Trailblazer

Gauges in vehicle (2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer ) have gone "haywire". they drop to zero suddenly or even worse show unrealistic displays, such as speeding past 100 miles an hour when I have stopped.

- Bishopville, SC, USA

Jan 092010

Trailblazer

I own a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer and the speedometer is erratic and frequently reads speeds not consistent with actual speed (as compared with the speed provided by a gps device). I have found a significant number of other vehicle owners with similar Chevrolet vehicles experiencing the same issues. Being unaware of your actual speed is a danger to self and other drivers.

- Mustang, OK, USA

Trailblazer

2004 Trailblazer, speedometer failed. Needle sits at 60 mph when stopped, moves past 120mph as you drive. I consider it a safety issue if you are unable to monitor your speed.GM is repairing out of warranty 03/04 Cadillac escalade, Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Yukon for this same problem. I don't understand why Trailblazer is not included..

- Massapequa Park, NY, USA

Trailblazer

I own a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer and the speedometer as well as all of the other gauges stopped working. I was driving down the road looked down and saw that the speedometer said I was traveling 100mph, which I knew I wasn't because I was in rush hour traffic. When I stopped at a traffic light the speedometer dropped down but got stuck on 55mph and now it will not move at all. I searched the internet for this problem and discovered that several other owners of the 2004 Trailblazer had the same problems but Chevrolet has failed to recognize this as a safety recall. I am requesting that this issue be brought up as a safety complaint due to this vehicle being our main transportation for myself and my family !! I am now in the process of getting price quotes from area automotive shops but I have read that the repair costs are from $400 to $800. I don't think I should have to pay this amount if Chevrolet would recognize this as a safety hazard and just recall this certain problem. I also own a 2001 Silverado and not too long ago I received a notice in the mail that there was a recall on the wire supports for the trucks tailgate(due to the current supports might break under the right circumstances). Now I am wondering if a tailgate that I rarely use is a safety hazard then how is an instrument that is used to make sure you are operating your vehicle at a safe speed or making sure you do not run out of gas in the middle of the interstate not being recalled... thanks for all your help and concern in resolving this matter.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Sep 182009

Trailblazer

In September 2009, my 2004 Trailblazer started going haywire! it lost all power (while going down the interstate), the power/cigarette outlets stopped working, the doors started locking themselves (sometimes with the keys in the ignition), the radio would go loud or stop working, my speedometer went nuts (like saying that I was doing 65mph, when I was at a complete stop or 120mph down the hwy), the service engine soon light would go on and off, and my heater will not blow out the vents in the dash. We have taken it to a mechanic. He tried everything from replacing the battery, fuel filter, and spark plugs. He even hooked it up to his scanner (which showed that there was nothing wrong with the car) all this and $700 later I still have the same problems. Now I'm told that the electrical panel will need to be replaced at a cost around $500-$900!! if you look at carcomplaints.com you see that there are many more people like me with the same car and the same problems. This is a huge safety issue.how long will it be before someone pushes Chevy into doing a recall" does someone have to be killed or kill someone else for this to happen" I was so glad to google car complaints and find that it wasn't just me that was having so many problems with this Trailblazer.

- Twin Bridges, MT, USA

Dec 312009

Trailblazer

With driving home my speedometer starting screwing up. Now it doesn't work. Come to find out the cluster is bad. My dad has a 05 Silverado and that cluster was recalled. Why not the Trailblazers with the same problem.

- Ottawa, OH, USA

Trailblazer

We own a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. On the way home from christmas we noticed our speedometer was not moving. The speedometer was either to fast or not fast enough. We hope to bring it to carmax, since the vehicle is hopefully still under warranty. This problem could cause an accident or a ticket for the person driving the car.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Dec 012008

Trailblazer

This trail Blazer has been a lemon every since I bought it.first two batteries kept swelling up and smoking and then it wouldn't start. I replaced the alternator. Then the motor threw a rod. I put another motor in it. Then the check engine light came on. I took it and had it put on a machine to check it out. It cannot be checked because the machine reads that the computer is dead. It stalls every now and then and gets horrible gas mileage. I replaced the gas cap but it didn't help. Now the transmission has went out of it. Previously it automatically locked the doors when it was running locking me out. There should be a recall on all these electric problems. I do not have any money to fix these problems yet I have 16 more months to pay on this truck. I've always bought Chevrolet's but I will never buy another one and so will a lot of other people. If they can't stand behind there vehicle's their no good for anything. All these different problems started at different dates. I also had to put a new exhaust system on it. I don't know how it is still running with the computer dead.

- Vidor, TX, USA

Oct 102009

Trailblazer

Oct 10,2009 58500 mile on Trailblazer. Driving from work pass a police running 110 mph. I was only going about 50 mph. Then the tach started messing up too. Still ongoing problem. Can GM have a recall to fix all these complaints. They have fix other model doing the same thing.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Dec 292009

Trailblazer

The tachometer needle points straight down and does not respond to engine speed. According to information online, the problem will progress to the other gauges inside the instrument panel of my vehicle. It will be a safety issue when the speedometer stops working. GM has made repairs for some models but not the Trailblazer.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Apr 112008

Trailblazer

I own a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer that recently has began to give me problems with the instrument panel not reading correctly. My speedometer sits at 0 even when I'm doing 65 mph. My tach reads the same. Upon checking this out, I found that this is a ongoing problem with this particular vehicle that GM has no recall as of to date. Other have issues with their gas, voltmeters and oip pressure gauges. I find these issues not only annoying but unsafe while going down the freeway not knowing if your speed is correct. The average cost of repairs for this is about $500 to $700. There are many of these cases going on with this particular vehicle. A safety recall would be nice.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 252009

Trailblazer

2004 Chevy trail Blazer, speedometer, tachometer and gas gauge all failed while on the road. A speedometer is a must. I saw on the net where this is not an uncommon problem and the site said that GM has already won a law suit but has not issued a recall.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Oct 202009

Trailblazer

Instrument panel (speedometers, gas gauge and water temp gauge) on my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer lt-a is defective but Chevy will not recall and fix this problem even though they have recalled and repaired others models with this problem.

- Wadsworth, IL, USA

Dec 192009

Trailblazer

Headlights continually burn out. Replace every month! just replaced on 2 days ago and already out again! speedometer does not work.

- Rush City, MN, USA

Dec 172009

Trailblazer

While driving along my tachometer and speedometer on my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer dip below zero. I took it to my mechanic who said the electrical is shot in the dashboard area. My vehicle has to be running for 30 min or more for it to act up. If I leave cruise control on the needle stays, once cruise is turned off I'm doing (hopefully) 70 while my speedometer says I'm doing 20. Searching on the internet I'm not the first to complain about this. Has Chevy recalled the dashboard unit in the 2004 Trailblazer yet?

- Lansing, MI, USA

Dec 152009

Trailblazer

Speedometer on my 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer no longer functions properly. Shows the vehicle is moving at 15 - 20 mph sitting in the garage. Have no idea how fast the vehicle is traveling when driving on the road. GM has recalled the full size vehicles (I.e. Tahoe/escalade) that have exhibited the same failure mode in the instrument cluster. The Trailblazer/Envoy chassis use the same cluster as the full size vehicles, no idea why they are not included in the recall.

- Portage, MI, USA

Dec 032009

Trailblazer

-dashboard lights, speed-gas-RPM gauges stopped working. -I can't track my speed or see my gauges at night.

- Foley, AL, USA

Dec 122009

Trailblazer

My instrument cluster on my 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer has stopped working.

- Frederic, WI, USA