Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

Feb 012009

Trailblazer

The speedometer is malfunctioning. It will sometimes read 110 when I am only going 20. I have talked to a mechanic and they said it is the instrument cluster and it will cost about $500 to fix it. He said he has had several complaints for this same issue on his model. I have seen several complaints on it on the internet and I think a recall should be issued. Sometimes the speedometer stops working at all and this is very big problem. I don't think I should have to pay to get this fixed when it is a manufacturer issue and I think a recall should be issued. Please help....

- Newton, GA, USA

Feb 012009

Trailblazer

Speedometer provides false and incorrect speeds. Happens at normal road speed or while in park. Sometimes reads high or low.

- Dover, DE, USA

Jun 012008

Trailblazer

RPM gauge failed, then the oil gauge and now the battery gauge. Why won't they have a formal recall and Chevrolet pay for it" they did have a bulletin but the Trailblazer was not included. I would like them to pay for it"

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 192008

Trailblazer

2004 Chevy Trailblazer dashboard gauges and speedometer work intermittently. Electrical problem requires a new instrumentation cluster, which runs $600. While searching online, I've noticed that there are many others who experiencing the very same problems with their Trailblazers. Faulty gauges are a nuisance, but a speedometer malfunction is an entirely different matter. I'm am checking with Chevy tomorrow concerning an existing recall, but was not offered a recall repair when the dealer originally troubleshoot the problem. If no recall exists, it should. A trend exists that needs to be examined and corrected by GM.

- Vandenberg Afb, CA, USA

Jan 012008

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving 40 mph, the contact made a stop and noticed that the speedometer read 100 mph. In addition, the fuel gauge dial failed. She does not know if the gas tank is full or empty. She will take the vehicle to the dealer to be diagnosed. The failure mileage was 60,000 and current mileage was 61,100.

- Coleman, AL, USA

Jan 032006

Trailblazer

About 10,000 before the factory warranty ran out, the speedometer got stuck at about 60mp so it read that much higher than actual speed. After a few times of starting the vehicle the speedometer reset itself, so when we took it in to the Chevrolet dealership they couldn't duplicate the problem and they wouldn't cover the problem. It eventually kept getting higher and higher until it was stuck and didn't read the speed at all. Now the dealer says it is a faulty instrument cluster and want to charge me $500+ to fix. I believe this is a serious safety issue and Chevy should issue a recall on the 2004 Trailblazers.

- Layton, UT, USA

Jan 102009

Trailblazer

The dashboard gauges began displaying incorrect information followed a day later by complete failure. I know others with the same problems. There is no recall for this error. There is no way to determine the speed of the car. This is a very expense and common error for the Trailblazer.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Jul 112007

Trailblazer

Tachometer and speedometer not working correctly. Tach works for a short time then drops to zero. Speedometer shows 30mph =/- while stopped. While moving it shows 30mph+/- over actual speed according to my computer scanner. Contacted GM and they said there was not record of this type of complaint and it is not covered under warranty.

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

May 012008

Trailblazer

I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer, the RPM gauge stopped working and it has slowly progressed to the oil gauge and now the speedometer reads way off the charts. I see through some internet searching that this is a recurring problem with these vehicles. I have not had this problem repaired as of yet, as I feel with this being such a safety issue and such a repeated problem with the Chevy. Trailblazer that Chevrolet should issue a recall.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Dec 282008

Trailblazer

I own a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer, both the tach and speedo operate erratically. The speedo is of particular concern, the erratic reading indicates the wrong vehicle speed, mant times is reads 20 - 40mph to low which can lead driving hazard. This is significant safety issue. Research on the internet shows this a very significant problem on these vehicles, with the incident rate a magnitude higher than normal / acceptable failure rates.

- Chisago City, MN, USA

May 192006

Trailblazer

2004 Chevy Trailblazer - intermittent flickering of exterior lights. Headlights sporadically flicker during normal night time driving. Flickering may occur multiple times during trip and then not occur again for several weeks. Problem began at approximately 50,000 miles. It is very frightening and is probably very distracting to other drivers.

- Fredonia, KY, USA

Sep 272008

Trailblazer

I have a 2004 trail Blazer and my speedometer stopped working. It does haywire. I was told that it cost $600 to be fixed. I only has 52000 miles on the vehicle. Chat rooms said that GM had problems with different vehicles that uses the same speedometer, and did a recall on these models. I was told that so may people had to complain before GM issue a recall. I can read my gas or my speed or my tachometer, or my temp. Please help me.

- Byhalia, MS, USA

Dec 132008

Trailblazer

A week ago I started my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer and noticed my speedometer was reading 70 mph in park and RPM gauge at 6000. It has not been right since - fluctuating anywhere between 0- 120mph while at a stop or driving. From my understanding, there has not been a recall issued. This is a safety issue that should not be ignored!

- Rolling Meadows, IL, USA

Nov 122008

Trailblazer

The interior vents stopped working and would only go to 3 max on the dial. That was 1000 dollars to repair. The RPM gauge went out next, now the speedometer stopped working and the battery doesn't hold a charge. I have had this car for two years and it is beginning to cost a lot for repairs. I had to buy a battery and am repairing the gauges at $600. These are all new parts. I feel at this point someone needs to look into this complaint. Most people aren't repairing the speedometer because it is so costly, but I think this is a hazard. Check out this website for more complaints: www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Trailblazer/2004/electrical/gauges_fluctuate.shtml we are all having the same problems and no one is doing anything about it.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Sep 082008

Trailblazer

The speedometer does not work accurately. It is sometimes about 30 miles off but it has wound all the way around. I can only tell my speed by the flow of traffic. The battery gage also does not work, it always shows no charge.

- Lake City, FL, USA

Nov 172008

Trailblazer

Instrument cluster goes out, speedometer and all gauges just quit working and you have no way of knowing what speed you are traveling.

- Nederland, TX, USA

Nov 012008

Trailblazer

I own a 2004 Trailblazer with 53,915 miles. In November 08, my speedometer, tachometer & oil gauges started working only about 5% of the time. I could disconnect the battery to get them to start working again but after 2 weeks of doing that both the speedometer and the tachometer quite working and point straight down to the floor board. The oil gauge works when it wants. I have done a lot of research on the internet and was shocked to see all the same complaints and GM not doing a thing to help out their customers. I hope GM will man up to their problems and place a recall on these vehicles.

- Los Alamos, NM, USA

Nov 202008

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving 45 mph, the speedometer failed and the dial moved to zero. No repairs have yet been made to the vehicle. The current and failure mileages were less than 56,000.

- New York, NY, USA

Oct 162008

Trailblazer

In August 2008 my speedometer started to malfunction. It would not work for a few days and then go back to normal. By October it quit working at all. My service engine light also stays on. I have also experienced some power surges that seem to affect the lighting system. I also had to problem commented on by several people with the low beam lights going out. I checked all the fuses and they were in working order. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they said the bulbs were blown and replaced them. I questioned that statement somewhat because I had replace one of the bulbs not a month earlier. The lights have worked fine since except for power surges.

- Five Points, AL, USA

Jul 212006

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that when the vehicle stops, it shuts off and all of the electrical components stop working. In addition, it takes 4 to 5 attempts to restart the vehicle. The dealer stated that they would not repair the vehicle. The contact took the manufacturer to court for not making the repairs. The failure and current mileages were 60,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA