Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

Dec 052005

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer lt. On December 5, 2005, my wife backed the vehicle out of our basement. She noticed smoke coming from the dashboard. Immediately, she saw flames. The vehicle burned completely, also burning the end of my home. I contacted G.M. about this problem and was told I was way down the list of problems. My concern is that this could be a serious problem that could result in death the next time this happens. I sincerely hope this is not the case. I would hope that G.M. would look into this matter before this happens again. Considering this vehicle was purchased new and had only 27,000 miles on the vehicle.

- Pinson, AL, USA

Dec 122005

Trailblazer

I bought this vehicle brand new and since purchase it is in and out of the show with numerous electrical and gas problems. Everytime you put gas in the vehicle it spills out from the underside. The dealership has replace parts pertaining to the fuel system and it has not solved the problem. My radio has been replaced and still does not work properly. My headlights dim up and down, the air blows low and high the interior lights flash off and on the engine runs rough and all these symptoms happen sporadically. It has been in the dealership numerous times and everytime I take it they state they cannot duplicate the problem. This vehicle I feel is a safety issue and I do not feel comfortable putting my family in it. I am currently filing a lemon law complaint with the better business bureau.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Oct 192005

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I want GM to be looking into a problem they have about there Trailblazers. I have had many problems with electrical and stalling. I have had 3 computer brains put in, and the electrical done once. Yet the dealership can find no problems with this vehicle!! in the electrical the gauges would freak out, and even took out the fuel sensor. Then I had a shock when you touch the gear shift, I was told to quit dragging my feet on that one. Then it went to the car stalling or not even starting at all. The dealership yet to figure the problem out. Know the warranty is expired I am having a hard time with the getting repairs, or it looked out. I no longer trust this car, and do not allow my children to ride in for long distances at all. I have had more problems since my warranty went out, and it proceeds to only get worse. And I can do nothing about it, since the problems started after the time line for the lemon law was up (bought as a previously owned vehicle.) or dealer trade back!

- Casa Grande, AZ, USA

Sep 282005

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

While driving headlights dim very low to the point that you can not see. Doesn't happen every time. Dashboard lights also go very low. Vehicle taken in to dealership in April. Tech says can not duplicate problem. Car taken in again this time cd player will stop playing if volume is turned all the way down for more that 2 mins. In order to make it play again you have to eject cd and reinsert. Radio was suppose to be ordered never received it. Car taken in again this time different dealership found problem with radio and it was replaced asked for them to check headlights because problem still happens. They also cannot duplicate problem. After leaving dealership cd players stops play again. Sept 28, 2005 while at bank drive through car stalls out, able to restart car. Took vehicle to dealership told them about the stalling out, headlights, and cd player. After having my car there a week and 3 days there conclusion was that the stalling out was because the was carbon build up in throttle body this was cleaned out. My car has 19,000 miles and is a year old I don;T believe this is the problem. While there a new cd player was put in, I was told that the one that was replaced before was a refurbished one and it didn't surprise them that it didn't work. The headlights we were told that we were crazy at first and then after speaking with the service manager was told that my vehicle has California emissions which means we have a 2nd air intake on it that causes the alternator to drain causing the lights to dim. GM has told us this is normal!!!!!! I am sorry I am not willing to put my family lives on the line because I happen to buy a new car in Virginia that was made in California. I leave in a rural area not the city so if I lose my headlights then that means I can't see. This doesn't mean anything to them. We do have a meeting in Nov with the northern area manager. This is not a normal operation of a car nor should it be designed to do this.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Mar 132005

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

(1) driving on a straight road, very frew street lights, few bumps but not many. 2) while driving, noticed the lights dimming and becoming bright again while on low beam. It appeared as if I was flipping between low beam and lower beam (if there was one). During this time, I noticed the dash lights would become dim, but still very visible. Watching the voltage meter, that did not move at all and remained slightly above 14 volts. No other equipment (radio, etc) made any type of noise or indication that any voltage has dropped. I've had the vehicle for approx. 5 mos and this has happened very sporadically, but just recently it continued happening for approx. 10 minutes striaght until I stopped and shut the vehicle off. (3) nothing was done at this time. It was brought to the dealership and they were unable to reproduce, hence they would not do anything to fix this safety issue.

- Egg Harbor Twp, NJ, USA

Feb 122005

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The home security (automatic garage door opener) system has been failing in my Trailblazer. A few days ago were leaving the house for dinner, I opened the garage door with the manual button just inside the garage. Approximately 1 minute later I began pulling out of the garage when I suddenly backed into my garage door. Confused about the situation I pulled the Trailblazer back in and got out to investigate. The garage door had closed approximately half way and hit the tailgate just below the wiper blade causing several deep scratches. I managed to pop the garage door back into the rails and bend the aluminum pieces back in place so that the door is now serviceable. Now late for an appointment I got back inside the truck and the door began to close again. This has now been happening quite frequently. It is my belief that there is some kind of a short or something in the electronics that cause the automatic garage door opener to send a signal when someone closes the door. I now have an estimate for over $500 in paint and repairs which I am eager to have fixed, but not if this keeps happening. I've contacted my dealer and he has told me how to deprogram my opener but I am holding off until I can have an insurance agent or someone from the dealership look at the problem.

- Lagrange, IN, USA

Jan 012005

Trailblazer 4WD 4-cyl

I was backing out of a driveway when my radio starting sounding funny, then smoke started filling up in the car it smelled like wires were burning. I could not see the gear, the door or window would not open and I was trapped in my seat belt. All of my passengers got out safe. I was screaming that I could not get out that's when my son came and pulled me out the truck. I got a few scratches on my leg and my knee. The truck would not start back up for awhile. It shut it self down, it started back up about 15 minutes later. I was about 3 blocks from my home, I was dropping off a neighbor. I did manage to drive home this happened on January 1, 2005 at about 2:30 am. I did start the truck up about 2:00 pm you could still smell burnt wires. I am afraid to drive it. The doors will not lock and all of the dash board warning lights are lit up, like the check engine, battery, brake light and etc. I will be getting it towed on Monday, January 3, 2005 to bill wink dealership.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 012004

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Occasionally, there was a burning smell inside the vehicle. The electrical system had caused the radio, fuses and navigation system to fail and shut down the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer six times, but the cause was still undetermined.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Nov 302004

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While driving home from work late at night on six different nights, doing approximately 65 mph the vehical just shut down, check engine light and reduced engine speed lights came on(actualy the engine was still running with no exceleration) pulled to side of road, turned vehical off and restarted, check engine soon light remained on till next day when it shut off, GMC dealer said no way to check if intermittent problem, if light came on during the day to bring it in right away!

- Royersford, PA, USA

Nov 292004

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I was at a stop sign turning right. The trail Blazer was in A4wd. I took off rather quickly and the "service 4WD" light came on. The light stayed on until I got home (a 20 min drive). Once the Trailblazer was turned off, the light did not come back on. I took the Trailblazer to the Chevy dealership. The service department stated they did not find a code.the service department stated that the light must not have been on long enough for it to register anything wrong or it's possible that it might register later. The receipt states: Transmission work - job #1 - service 4X4 lite on. Check for codes. Check over updates. Reprogram PCM with latest updates. Courtesy inspection - job#2 - 27 point courtesy inspection. Trailblazer was bought 10/31/04 and has 3,700 miles.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Sep 072004

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Major electrical problems inside the vehicle. I have owned it less than a year.the vehicle has been in the shop twice in the past two weeks. Exiting the freeway the I had a complete power failure. The vehicle completely stopped and locked up and there was a semi truck behind me! my vehicle was moving and in "drive" when this happened. I had two of my toddlers in the car with me! the vehicle was taken into a local dealer and unfortunately they could not find anything wrong with it. Apparently, when the vehicle is restarted it erases the codes in the engine as to what caused the problem. Well, it happened to me again this evening. Same problem. This will be my 5th time of bringing this vehicle in for electrical problems in less than a year. I only have 9400 miles on the vehicle and bought it brand new. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle with my 5 children as passengers. Is there a way GM can get me a better running vehicle? I paid a lot for this vehicle and am very unsatisfied with it's performace. There always seems to be something wrong with it. The connell Chevrolet service here in killeen has been very helpful. I feel sorry for them because they did not sell me this vehicle but they are the ones nice enough to try and fix the multiple problems.

- Killeen, TX, USA