Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

May 152019

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While the contact's brother was driving 35 mph, all the warning indicators illuminated. The driver informed the contact that there was a burning wire odor under the hood, which entered the vehicle throught the vents. The vehicle stalled on an incline, but the driver was able to place the gear shifter into neutral. The vehicle rolled backwards and the driver was able to coast the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle failed to restart. The following day, the vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the high pressure fuel pump failed due to fuel in the oil. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that there were no open recalls. No further assistance was offered. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Warrensville, NC, USA

Apr 052019

Traverse

My 2009 Chevrolet Traverse won't go into reverse and also won't switch gears on time while driving with the steering so stiff

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 202018

Traverse

When driving truck seems to accelerate normal; then it start to get a little sluggish and start to kick from the back like its trying to catch up with the front. And also when I put it in park it jerks forward or rolls back.. all this happened while driving in the city

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 102018

Traverse

I have a Chevy traverser 2009 105K miles on it, it have all king of problems, 3 years and don't pass emission test, I have spend around $2500 on it since I bought this vehichcle, unfortunate on 3 times I have bring the veicle to the dealer and ignition coils changed on first visit, they told me to change the catalitic converters on 2nd visit I did, and now on my last intent the dealer service department say I have to fix all this first the wiring from the motor to transmition, every time I bring the vehicle to the dealer they came out with some thing new and I end paying around $200 for only diagnostic service, please if some one now a good lawyer or a sue case let me know thanks

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 142017

Traverse

When you stop up a upgrade to the light, the car rolls back.I would have to give it gas then release the brakes.I never had this to happen in any other car we had.it kind of scare me, because I almost roll back in another car. The other situation is the parking brake doesn't release like it suppose to.I saw a recall on some Traverse, but my vehicle doesn't have one.I need this to work properly, because these SUVS' then be hard to put in gear on slight inclines

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Dec 222017

Traverse

While my car was in motion on city street I had sudden loss of gears and car would not shift into higher gears nor move more than 25 mph. Had diagnosis that I needed new transmission at Chevy dealership. Dealer repeatedly denied that issue was related to special coverage bulletin #14404, transmission clutch wave plate, well documented defect with 2009 Traverse and then wanted to charge me ridiculous fee to diagnosis after I replaced transmission. Had transmission replacement at local shop and old transmission disassembled to reveal broken wave plate in 3 pieces. Chevy cust. Service now refuses to reimburse for any costs since repair was not made at dealer despite the fact my car met requirements for special coverage

- Sherborn, MA, USA

Nov 212017

Traverse

Traverse stopped at a city intersection and failed to move or start after that. Timing chain broke at 158,000 causing damage to catalytic converters. Failure of power steering was an ongoing problem for months that caused wheels to lock up during turns and then suddenly release causing much over correction because of having to pull so hard on the steering wheel when it would go out.

- Drasco, AR, USA

Oct 082017

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the vehicle independently downshifted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The mechanic was able to retrieve fault code P0776 (transmission solenoid, torque converter) failure. Haley Buick GMC located at: 9831 midlothian turnpike, richmond, va 23236, (804) 320-9054, was contacted by phone. The contact was informed that if the fault code was 35R (clutch wave plate) failure the vehicle would have been covered under GM's special coverage for the power train. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted or notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 108,000.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Mar 012016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the vehicle had no specific failures other than failing an inspection. The contact called a dealer (lannan Chevrolet, 40 winn St, woburn, MA 01801, (781) 897-0508) to inspect and diagnose the failure. The manufacturer did not send a notification of any extended warranty campaigns; however, the vehicle was included in a water pump seal leak, power steering, transmission, and additional service campaigns. After the dealer's repairs, the vehicle was rode roughly and the engine indicator illuminated two days later. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer who indicated that further diagnostic testing was required. The vehicle had been at the dealer for longer than two weeks with no resolution. The manufacturer was notified and refused to provide a remedy for the several extended warranty campaigns, of which some were not completed, but the dealer specified on the invoice that the vehicle was serviced. The vehicle was not repaired and was unable to be driven. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Aug 102017

Traverse

While spouse was driving vehicle with kids on expressway, the vehicle shut off by itself. Spouse pulled over and waited about 10 minutes before vehicle started again. Couple of days later, vehicle would not start at all. Took to dealer a couple of weeks later as vehicle still would not start. Dealer found the electronic chassis module(ECM) was shorted. There is a known recall for this same vehicle and symptoms. Dealer and GM state this vehicle is not part of recall however same model and year across country has same issue.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 012016

Traverse

As soon as my vehicle reached just over 102,000 miles, my engine completely shut down while we were driving our kids to practice. I have taken it to the Chevy dealership that has been repairing my vehicle since we purchased it (1.5 years prior to the engine shutting down) and they have informed us we need a completely new engine because the crankshaft is completely blown. When they finally got it started up, it sounded like a bag of hammers being violently shaken. In the 1.5 years that we have had the vehicle, the timing belt has gone out, an electrical issue that caused the car to shut down completely as well, and another repair that my husband handled shortly after we got the car. Chevy has told us we are out of luck and that we have to pay for a new engine. When the dealership checked the value of the vehicle because we were going to try to trade it in, they told us the car, in perfect working condition would only be worth $6,000, even though 1.5 years prior, it was worth $20,000. The engine replacement is going to cost us more than the vehicle is worth! from what we have seen, a lot of these cars (same year make and model) are having the same problems and should be recalled completely!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 232016

Traverse

2009 Chevrolet Traverse. Consumer writes in regards to transmission malfunction after recall inspection and extended warranty expires. The consumer stated the vehicle was taken for an inspection of the transmission, per the recall request, no failure was found. 5 days later the transmission went out. The consumer was 1,000 miles over the warranty. The manufacturer did not offer any assistance. Also, the all 3 catalytic converters needed to be replaced.

- Brady, TX, USA

Dec 272016

Traverse 6-cyl

The vehicle began sputtering when traveling from 20-25 miles per hour & when driving up an incline. Engine light came on. Onstar said there were 7 fault codes. The primary code was P0300, indicating an emissions issue. Issue started days after transmission was replaced.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Aug 062016

Traverse

While driving our 2009 Chevrolet Traverse, lt, back from vacation, we experienced a sudden high RPM rate while noticing a decrease in acceleration. Took vehicle to a transmission repair center and was told it is a common issue with the GM models similar to the Traverse. The manufacturer recognizes the issue, as it relates to their service bulletin sb-07-30-012A. Had to have the transmission wave plate replaced, as well as some other internal parts. Total cost of $3500. Vehicle has 117,000 miles. Will be contacting gmac to discuss their knowledge of this issue while not offering a solution from a manufacturer's standpoint. I feel this could be classified as a safety issue and as such should be covered by the manufacturer, regardless of year of vehicle.

- Mogadore, OH, USA

Oct 012015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, while driving, the vehicle would not shift into third gear which resulted in a lack of acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wave clutch plate was defective and the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the traction control warning indicator illuminated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Vienna, WV, USA

Feb 292016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle hesitated to switch gears. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic for a second opinion where it was diagnosed that the third gear, fifth gear, and reverse function were slipping while the vehicle was in use. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000.

- Highland, MI, USA

Jan 132016

Traverse

Failed tcm module, causing transmission to race and slip constant transmission leaks.

- Platte City, KS, USA

Jan 022016

Traverse 6-cyl

This is the 13th issue we have had with this vehicle. Some covered under warranty, some as recall, some at our cost. Driving on the highway, alarms went off, messages appeared that stabilitrak was off. Told us to service braking system. As per manual we turned the car off to let system reset. Ok for about 1/2 hour driving time, did it again. Turned off, reset. Did it again but this time the stabilitrak will not come back on. Going to dealership on Thursday to address this issue. We also have a bulletin about transmission failure where we can lose 3rd, 5th & reverse. This is a serious safety issue which GM will not address until there is a problem. After 30 loyal years we are finished with GM. We are trading in this vehicle after repair & buying another brand. We feel that no one cares about the consumer until deaths happened. At this point our $35000 vehicle is unreliable & unsafe! thank you.

- Cape May, NJ, USA

May 302015

Traverse

This incident occurred on a Saturday evening as my husband and I were trying to return home after being out. I was driving at the time of the failure. I was trying to speed up to gain access to the highway and was already committed to the lane and I had others vehicles behind me as well. The transmission was not gaining speed as I was pressing down on the accelerator nothing was happening except the RPM's were raising but no response from the vehicle. We had a car swerve out of our way to let us gain access to the roadway.I had no more of the merging lane ahead I had to try and merge with traffic.... thank god my son was not in the vehicle that night!!!! after dealing with frustrated drivers around us, we had finally got onto the highway and the vehicle made a bang as it tried to change gears.we stayed in the right lane and traveled ten miles approximately to make it home. When we finally got to the driveway I backed it in and it wouldn't let back all the way into the driveway. Reverse was failing as well. Called GM on Monday 6/1/15 and they have a special bulletin about this problem, but yet they haven't issued a recall!!!! what if we had gotten into an accident. We bought this vehicle because of the 5 * safety rating!!! I just hope that no one else finds themselves in this situation. GM is fixing the "wave plate". special bulletin 14404 : which covers 3,5 and reverse gears... wished we would have had been notified of this defect earlier!!! obviously GM is aware of this situation but still hasn't issued a recall. Business as usual for GM.

- Blue Point, NY, USA

Apr 012015

Traverse 6-cyl

Vehicle began shifting rough. Would not shift higher than 4th gear on open road. Vehicle has bad hesitation in reverse. Received copy of GM's service bulletin about the wave plate failure in these vehicles on April 9, 2015. Contacted GM about this issue and was told because my vehicle has 122,000 miles on it, they will not cover repairs. Was told the max allowed mileage was 120,000. The issue is my vehicle may very well have been below the threshold when the bulletin was released. It took over a month to receive notice of the defect. If GM knows they have put defective parts in vehicles, why would they not fix the issue?

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA