Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

Jun 172019

Traverse

I bought this car 6/21/2016. Never received any recall notice for the timing chain. The dealership is refusing to fix it. I have 106K miles on it. The dealership should honor the recall as it's a safety concern. I have 4 children in the car with me at all times.

- Ottsville, PA, USA

Mar 122019

Traverse

Seatbelts and the electrical system need to get fixed.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 012017

Traverse

I have been battling my check engine light all 2018 and now 2019. Not to mention the stabiliztrak and hard to turn steering wheel. I have been getting a misfire in all my coils. This issue has caused the vehicle to stutter, drink high volumes of gas and almost sent me broke. I have changed every coil, every plug, changed the stabilizer, tentioner, bearings, swaybar links and much more. I am completely done with Chevy. They know this make and midel is horrible and we as customers need to do a class action lawsuit. This vehicle sounds like a tin can when it starts. It rattles and stutters while driving and it shakes when stationary.

- District Heights, MD, USA

Jan 082019

Traverse

I was driving on a highway at speed of60miles the car just stopped running in the middle of the highway would not start had to be towed home going straight on the highway no warning whatsoever I could have been killed from the car behind

- Connersville, IN, USA

Oct 012018

Traverse

The rear hatch would open and shut on you. I opened it and had it come down on me and it closed on my legs. The recall # 257343 was done for this but was doing it again. I would think since it's doing the same thing it would be covered again....it wasn't. I paid to have fixed.

- Longview, WA, USA

Oct 162018

Traverse

Stabilitrak light keeps coming on along with brake warning system, car power keeps cutting out, this will reset when I restart the vehicle, while vehicle is moving

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Oct 102018

Traverse

Very dangerous situation driving my traverser 2009 on free way at 70 miles the engine lost power and drop to 35 miles per hr, I did put my emergency light and move out quickly to avoid any crash or accident this is a very unsafe and not stable vehicle unfortunate since I bought the vehicle I have been on many situations unfortunate I don't have options and I have to use some times but honestly Chevy traverser 2009 is a hi risk and unsafe vehicle where you don't know what issue you will get during a use day, Chevy dealer doesn't fix any issue I report it only charge me for inspections and recommend change all kind of parts and after I fix it the problems that they recommend the problem persist unfortunate I had spend over $2500 already my biggest concern is that I can't drive this vehicle with my kids and is very expensive vehicle but un safe for the family, I hope some layer or attorney see our claims and sue Chevy for bring this kind of vehicles on the road,

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 012018

Traverse

While driving to work my Traverse completely shut down. I had to coast to the edge of the road and then push it into a parking lot. While driving the lights seemed to go dim and the vehicle shut off!. the vehicle was towed to a mechanic who said the timing chain went and when it did it basically blew the engine. A new engine cost more then what I owe on the car. After calling around I found out that mechanics do not like to replace the engine in the Traverse because the timing chain issue. My mileage is about 140,000. I called the manufacturer and filed a complaint. I was told they do have a 'special warranty on the timing chain however it's only up to 120,000 miles and I am 20,000 over the special warranty. If engine dies completely at 70mph on freeway a bad wreck can happen this is unsafe and Chevrolet should replace these engines.

- Garrettsville, OH, USA

Nov 052017

Traverse

The hydralics on the liftgate are failing

- Shepherdsvill, KY, USA

Nov 282017

Traverse

I rent my car thru hyrecar and renter didn't return and now we find after background check hyre car do it's useless renter used stolen data to run a background and rent a car ipas was in car I have blocked now seen it pass elgin toll and O'hare toll elgin he enter in night and leave elgine toll in morning mean destination maybe somewhere in elgin

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Sep 162017

Traverse

Took our car for ride park w hills having problem w our 2009 Traverse transmission down sift out of cruse, down sift on its own, then no reversing then not going into drive then over heating had let cool down 2X it only has71,000 miles

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jun 202016

Traverse

Takata recall...when im driving my steering wheel seems to lock up...and it also cause a bad shaking.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 162016

Traverse

I bought the car for my family and the first month there where no issues now the engine light stays on and it jerks and hesitates on a frequent basis. I bought the cat thinking it was a safe choice for my family I'm now rethinking that because even with the engine light on the problem can't be diagnosed.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Oct 042015

Traverse

Car was parked on a very minor grade, transmission was in park, keys removed and the car was locked. The car then begin rolling backwards until it was stopped by another car in the parking lot. This occurred in a church parking lot and several people observed afterwards that the car was indeed locked and the transmission was in park. No one was in either vehicle. I don't have any photos or a police report, only witnesses.

- Pennsville, NJ, USA

Jul 172014

Traverse

We have had multiple issues with the 09 Chevy Traverse. The check engine light came on so we ran test on it. The test came back that there were 4 sensors that went out. We went and purchased those 4 sensors and reset the computer and within an hour the check engine light was back on for those sensors. We then went and replaced the sensors once again and the same thing happened. The next thing that happened was the headlights went out while driving down the road. Changed both headlights and a month later they went out again. Only way to help this issue was to turn off daytime lights. About 2 months ago the ac unit just stopped working while driving down the highway. Thought the ac might need recharged so we recharged it and it worked again for about an hour. Now it will not even allow you to turn the ac on at all. Just a couple of days ago I was driving down the interstate when the check engine light flashed and the car stated check engine soon then the traction control light came on and the car read that stabilitrak was off. All of these issues have occurred over the last year and I have only owned this car for 2 years and it only has about 128000 miles on it. I could expect theses issues if the car was a lot older but I do not feel safe driving this car because of all the issues that keep occurring. Very disappointed in the Traverse because I know I am not the only one with these issues but there is nothing that the dealerships will do to help except charge me a lot to fix the issues again only for them to keep messing up.

- Hubbard, TX, USA

Sep 102015

Traverse

While driving the check engine light came on and warning messages for traction control off, service stabletrak and reduced engine power flashed. Suddenly the car slowed to 20 mph and would not go faster. I felt lucky to get the car out of the heavy traffic safely. The maximum speed reduced to about 5 mph. After a couple of hours I was able to drive it normally to be serviced. They replaced the throttle body and it seems normal now.

- Jackson, TN, USA

May 032015

Traverse

After opening the lift gate my wife was hit in the head when the lift gate came down and hit her. I ordered new struts thinking this was the problem. After replacing the struts, the lift gate still falls without warning, and has hit her and I on 4-6 occasions.received a letter from GM about the problem, but as of 09-08-2015 there is no solution to the problem. How many more times must we be hit ? the rear storage area cannot be used unless someone holds lift gate incase it falls.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Apr 012015

Traverse

I received a letter in the mail "advising" me that this vehicle has a "known" issue with cracking transmission plates - but - they weren't going to recall the vehicles; just offer a 1 year extension on the warranty. I called my local dealership to ask what the warning signs would be they they answered perfectly. They said "you won't get any warning signs. Your check engine light will come on and the vehicle will be unresponsive." Now how about that to make the consumer feel safe. You see, I grew up in the automotive industry and I also know that with the iso standards provided to the manufacturers; the big money makers know "exactly" which vehicle these faulty plates are in. What I'm seeing is the "extreme cost it will take to remove the transmission from each and every concerned vehicle is "just too much for them to encompass. So if the consumer is in atlanta, ga in 6 lanes of traffic and the 3rd or 5th gear decide that "today is the day to make believers out of the driver" then fatalities can and will occur. How dare GM to try to play charades with the consumer that has placed our trust in them to handle these issues and not try to pacify us with a song and dance to "appease" us. Well, let me advise GM that I have always tried to stand by the "buy american dream." So now I will have no problem "advising" anyone that will listen that these vehicles are just assembled here. Every part I've seen under the hood has "made in china or Korea" written on it. American dream my ass. I'm trading for either a Japanese or german engine. I "might get lucky" and get under their hoods and find that they were created in their own countries. Shame on GM for playing the consumer for schumcks. I won't support them anymore.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jun 032015

Traverse

The service stabilitrak light and traction control light appeared and off. Went on a busy highway traveling at the speed around 55 and it suddenly reduced engine power down to 20mph. I am concerned about others that I have known this happened to as it just did my husband. No warning signs at all. I use this vehicle every day to travel to work school and sports with my 4 children. If anything happens seriously GM will be aware of it! I think it should be a recall I have already read 38 messages about the same thing happening.~ as to that note, I will never own another Traverse or Chevy product at that!!

- Punxsutawney, PA, USA

May 282015

Traverse

On May 28th 2015, after driving my vehicle about 100 miles, I stopped to park my vehicle. I shifted the car into reverse. When I accelerated, the engine just revved up. The vehicle would not move. Luckily, the car was parked in a relatively safe location and I didn't need to move it further. The following day I started the car again, shifted into reverse and moved the car with no issues. The vehicle drove fine, initially. After the car was warm again, I tried to put it in reverse and the same thing happened again, no movement. This went on throughout the weekend. On Monday I contacted the dealer and scheduled an appointment for Tuesday. Tuesday on my way to the dealer the same issue happened, but this time it was when I was accelerating between 30 and 40 miles per hour.

- Spokane, WA, USA