Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chrysler Town & Country:

Mar 232013

Town & Country 6-cyl

I bought the minivan used 11/2012 - 3/2013 brakes were acting up grinding metal to metal - had a friend who does shop work look at them - ended up replacing both rear calipers, drums and brakes -June 2013 started doing the same thing - had same friend look at them - pads were gone after only 3 months, he replaced them again - they were smoking, had to have it towed to dealership - they refused to do anything as I had an unlicensed repair done - so I paid again to have them replace the calipers, rotors, drums and brakes in rear - my car is in shop again today for rear calipers, rotors and brakes - it's 4/2014 - this is a huge safety issue for repeat concerns with brakes - dealership is unable to tell me why this keeps repeating -

- Rocky Hill, CT, USA

Jan 142014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving down the road the car turned off. Don't know if my knee hit the key chain to turn off the car or if the car just turned off. I was driving straight and turned the car back on and it was ok. If I would of been on a curve it might have been different. I have since then bought a quick release lock so my keys are not attached to the key for the van. Haven't had any problems as of yet. But I just bought it. Just think the design of the car could be different to have the key placement somewhere else or change how the key fits into the car to avoid this from happening.

- Port Byron, IL, USA

Oct 012009

Town & Country

We bought this brand new and have had to replace both brakes and rotors 2-3 times per year due to shaking/wobbling when applied. The fact that Chrysler extended the warranty for brakes admits liability, brake system should be recalled and fixed, is Chrysler waiting for a class action law suit"?" when I look at these forums it seems all owners are experiencing the same issue, that is a problem!!!! this vehicle is marketed as a family van for goodness sake!! take responsibility Chrysler!!!

- Lehighton, PA, USA

Aug 212010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Just after a yr of driving and 20K miles my brakes were not feeling right. I took my van to the dealer and had the pads replaced. At 35 thousand I took the van back in because I had the same issue again. The dealer wanted to replace all the pads and turn rotors. I was not happy. The problem I was told got fixed in 2008. Not to mention the expense. I had the pads done and only front rotors done. In my experience of all 8 vehicles I've owned. Never had I need to replace the rear rotors. Maybe at 60K on my Dodge Dakota. And I used it for heavy use. The van is driving to pa twice a yr from fl and orlando a lot. It seems to me there is a problem with the brakes on the 2009.

- West Palm Bch, FL, USA

Aug 132009

Town & Country

I read where an investigation has been started with the smoke and fire problem with three Jeep roof liners and checking the latest number of premature brake related failure on 09 Chrysler now numbers forty. It seems there needs to be some sort of review of the inadequate braking system installed on these vehicles. I would hope that the review system considers brakes a somewhat important issue. I too have had these brake issues and filed complaints with this operation. I was never able to find my complaint in the list of complaints. Wondering how many other complaints never make it through the system. This brake failure is a serious problem.

- Musegon, MI, USA

Aug 012011

Town & Country

Brakes vibrating. Took it to dealer and they redid the brakes and charged me and now the van is doing the same thing again. The brakes need to be redone again. Only 20,000 miles on the new brakes. There must be a problem.

- Poway, CA, USA

Nov 092011

Town & Country

November 9, 2011 had to replace rear brakes for the 2nd time in less than 2 years in ownership of vehicle. Tire sensor failed and tire deployed. April 4, 2013 additional tire sensors blow out or failed without any prior notification had to replace 3 tire sensors. Brakes also had to be replaced within a 15 month period. Less than 20,000 miles. There is clearly something wrong with the products/material used to construct this vehicle. 2013 heating unit appears to overheat my driver seat causing leather on seat to began to crack. Chrysler motors was place on written notice of these problems as early as January 18,2012 but failed to respond or do anything to address my concerns.

- Shaker Hts., OH, USA

Mar 152013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the rear brakes wore out with in twenty thousand miles. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer to have the brakes changed. The dealer replaced the rear brakes and did not find a defect within the braking system to cause the rear brakes to wear prematurely. The failure mileage was 21,689. Updated 06/04/13 updated 06/12/2013

- Mentor, OH, USA

Oct 242011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph with the brake pedal depressed, he noticed a vibration in the brake pedal. The failure recurred whenever the brakes were applied over 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Penn Valley, CA, USA

Nov 082012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph the brakes failed, causing the contact to crash into a tree and the vehicle rolled over. The contact was injured and transported to the hospital via ambulance. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic advised the contact that the vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in any recall. The approximate failure and current mileage was 37,000.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Oct 202012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Car starting accelerating on its own. I wasn't able to slow down as the brakes didn't respond (they seamen stuck). This has happen at least twice in a 3 weeks period. I have to push the accelerator harder in order to somehow made the car responsive. The second time this happened, a brake signal came up, once I was able to take control of the car, I parked on side of the road, turned the car off and then turned on again and signal went off. Both times I was driving in the freeway at 65 mph trying to pass another car with my 2 kids under the age of 5!!!. second time I almost hit the car infront of me.

- Fort Lewis, WA, USA

Sep 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Purchased a 2009 T&C 3 weeks ago, 47607miles. First incidence occurred after 1 week. While driving the vehicle lost power steering, (electronics, lights, radio, etc remained active), I realized the engine had stalled/cutoff. I was only going about 20mph, I had to put the car in park and restart the ignition. Car drove fine. Took the car back to dealership where they machined the rear rotors. Week 2, took the car back to the dealership again, they machined the front rotors. Week 3, while driving the same incident occurred, engine cutoff during operation without warning. Luckily I was in a neighborhood and speed was approx 15-25 mph. Electronics remained active. (there were no warnings or error codes when the engine shut down.) had to put the vehicle in park and restart the engine. Took the car back to the dealership for the third time in 3 weeks of ownership where it currently remains as they try to chase this ghost. I am convinced this vehicle is dangerous and not safe to drive since the engine cuts off randomly. I asked first team Honda of chesapeake to take this vehicle back and I would buy a different vehicle. The used car sales manager offered me 75% of what I paid for the car 3 weeks earlier and told me there was nothing wrong with my vehicle. It is under warranty for 90 days so I will continue to send the car back and warn others before they purchase an unsafe vehicle.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Jun 272012

Town & Country

The front rotors and brake pads have replaced twice on the vehicle. The back rotors and pads have been replaced once and resurfaced once. I now have 29000 on the vehicle and will be bringing in the vehicle again because of the same vibration in the brake pedal when the brakes are applied.

- Seaford, NY, USA

Aug 122012

Town & Country

Driving 65 mph after 230 mile trip and started to exit off ramp while slowing down to about 30 mph starting to brake and grinding noise began to be heard and vehicle was unable to stop properly. It seemed that the ABS was releasing on dry payment and vehicle vibrated/pulsated. (new brake pads were put on 2 weeks ago and new tires on 8 months ago.) continued to next stop and go and noise and brake failure occurred once again. Fortunately, speed was only no issue since it was city driving. Continued a few more blocks and turned right and brake failure once again due to a pedestrian bolting out at intersection. There was no incident due to pedestrian stopping before contact. Happen one more time and has not happened in the last two days. The pulsating/noise/vibration on each occurrence was on either side of the front but not the both sides at once. Definitely a safety issue and hopefully is taken care by Chrysler before someone is seriously hurt or killed. Took vehicle in to have diagnostics and there was a code of failure. Code represented a wiring or cluster failure.

- Slinger, WI, USA

Apr 012012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact was driving 35 mph when the skid control warning light illuminated and the anti-braking system engaged. The front passenger side axle then seized, causing the tire to grind and feel as if it was slipping from under the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the front hub assembly. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 142012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Routine brake change after four months brakes were down to metal. Changed brakes again realized calipers must be sticking. While driving down hills in the mountains brakes began to smoke and had difficulty stopping.

- Brownwood, TX, USA

Feb 012010

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town & Country. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph she applied the brakes and the brakes were abnormally rough. In addition, the steering wheel began to shake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, they could not replicate the problem. The manufacturer was notified and they advised the contact to bring the rotors in to be machined down. The vehicle was returned to the dealer for the repairs however there was not enough metal on the rotors to be machined and the contact was given a new set of rotors. Approximately 10,000 miles later the failure recurred and once again there was not enough metal to machine the rotors. The dealer provided a new pair of rotors at no cost however, 12,000 miles later the problem recurred and the contact was very concerned about the safety of the vehicle. The vehicle had not been further repaired. The failure mileage was 7,000 and the current mileage was 34,000.

- Washington, PA, USA

May 152012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 65 mph with the cruise control activated, the contact depressed the brake pedal but the vehicle did not respond. The contact stopped the vehicle and after depressing the brakes numerous times, he was able to get the brakes to release. The contact smelled a burning odor and heard a whistling sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. The failure occurred approximately four times at different speeds. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Faribault, MN, USA

Jun 012009

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have had the front brakes replace by Chrysler 3 time since June 2009 and the rotor once. I am currently experiencing a massive shutter when I apply the brakes at highway speeds (very dangerous). I contacted Chrysler and they told me the rotors are probably warped (again) and that they are no longer covered under warranty. I just had them done before 36K and now I'm at 50K. I purchased new wagner rotor and ceramic brake pads and installed them myself. First time out the shutter is still there. I contacted Chrysler again and told them the new equipment (per their recommendation) did not work. They told me to bring it in and for $95 they will try to figure out what is wrong. Surfing the internet and NHTSA info it sounds like a ton of people are having similar issues and there is no help from Chrysler or no recalls on the braking system. This system is dangerous and someone needs to step up and fix it. I have 2 small kids and I am afraid of drive/stopping this vehicle. The shuttering effects you ability to steer when trying to slow down to take an exit ramp on a highway. Someone out there help!!

- Macomb, MI, USA