Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

Feb 072014

Durango

Rod pierced thru the bottom of engine and locked up (110K miles), family on board and happened while turning at busy intersection.. had to replace engine used( found one with 70K, waiting on this one to do the same) consumes tons of oil. Electrical within driver seat and cd player are faulty/broken. Rust on rear outer wheel wells. (noticed this rust is apparent in every same model make year that I run across)

- Elgin, IL, USA

Nov 012014

Durango

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango 5.7 and it has been having an issue with the battery continuously draining. It started in Nov 2014 when the battery drained and would not hold a charge. I let the vehicle sit until March 2015, when I need an inspection, the shop recommended I purchase a new battery. I did and the battery drained with 3 weeks, so I eventually schedule an appt. With the dealer to have a drain on the battery check, they sent the vehicle back stating there was no drawl on the battery, it sat for months again, because it drained back out. In Nov. 2015 I found out about the G07 instrument panel recall and took it back to the dealer for that. They claimed they repaired a wire in the panel and that fixed the drain, however I still lost power 2 weeks later. I then took it to another dealer to have the recall checked again, because of a dead battery again the headlights and interior dash lights would flicker on and off. 3 days later still nothing they stated they were unable to duplicate failure and they did not find any drain or flickering. The very moment I picked up the vehicle and drove it home with my headlights on they began to flicker on and off. Two days later my battery was dead again. This makes no sense to me that the dealer can not pin point anything, so I began to proceed to fix on my own, I have found that the headlight switch was shorted out causing the lights to go on and off, and I replaced it. I still have a drain somewhere though, battery died within 8 hours of the last start.

- Pittsburgh, PW, USA

Apr 132011

Durango

I purchased the vehicle in 2009, within a 1 years, I noticed while driving during a heavy downpour the car would shake and sometimes stall out. I took it to the dealer in 2011 and they replaced the intake gaskets. I am now realing that this seems to be a common problem and should have had a recall on it.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 132015

Durango

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 07V092000 (electrical system) and 15V313000 (air bags) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 192015

Durango

This complain involve several issues that constantly happens. The first issue is that the interior lights and instrument panel lights illuminated intermittently and I can hear a buzzing sound when it does this. The second is that the battery dies and I have to jump start or charge it manually most days. Third, every day I have to pour coolant into my radiator because there is a leak somewhere either the water pump or radiator. Fourth, when it rains, water gets inside via the door seams. Fifth, then my radio/dvd player stopped working and I had to pull the fuse because it would not turn off. Sixth, my head lights goes very dim and even sometimes shut off. This is very scary in the middle of the night coming home from work. Seventh issue involves the engine stalling on several occasions, mostly when it's pouring down raining.

- Groveland, FL, USA

May 272015

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The consumer stated the vehicle would not start at times, and the only way to get it to start, was to pump the gas. Updated 12/09/15. *

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Jul 012015

Durango

When it rains the vehicle starts to "chug". when I approach an intersection/ stop light or attempt to slow down the vehice will cut off. I then have no power and can not restart the vehicle for several minutes. Last week while going to cross the highway in the rain the vehcle cut off in the middle of the road. I was almost hit by oncoming traffic. I have taken it to 2 mechanics and they can not find the problem. It has happened several times over the years but has gotten much worse. I have just been made aware of this site to file a complaint.

- Machipongo, VA, USA

Jun 012014

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 55 mph, all of the instrument panel lights disengaged. The contact continued to drive and the lights illuminated after approximately four minutes. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be determined. The failure recurred on several occasions. While driving in the rain at 75 mph, the vehicle stalled after the check engine and the battery warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred each time it was driven in the rain as well as when driven through a car wash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be determined. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 232015

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated indicating a malfunctioned. The contact received notifications of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V817000 (air bags) and 14V770000 (air bags); however, the parts were not available within a reasonable timeframe to schedule the recall repairs. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 07V092000 (electrical system), but did not recall receiving a notification letter and was not sure when the dealer would remedy this recall repair. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lindale, GA, USA

Dec 042014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

All alert lights on dash remain on. Windows headlights, speedometer, wipers all not working.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

Apr 152014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

We purchased our pre-owned 2004 5.7 limited edition in January 2007. It had around 40,000 miles. Within a year or so after, the cd changer stopped working, and then the radio would sometimes not work after heavy rain. During a heavy downpour the car would shake and sometimes turn-off, leaving me and 2 small kids stranded on the side of the highway until the rain lightened enough for the car to start again. Whenever we would take the car in to be repaired for this problem, we were always told they couldn't find anything wrong that would cause those types of problems, but we had numerous repairs that we now think were probably related to the water problem, such as a new starter, repairs for a coolant leak, etc. In early 2014 the car began having problems with overheating. A few days after a two or three day period of near constant rain I went to start the car and it sounded like it was flooded or something. Then there was a long bang followed by a terrible noise coming from the engine. Had it towed and looked at by two different mechanics who said there was a hole in the block and the engine would have to be replaced. I just recently decided to search the internet to see if any other people had this problem and have found hundreds of posts by consumers who had this very same thing happen to this model Dodge Durango. It seems appropriate for Dodge to be investigated for this and pay us for thousands of dollars spent on repairs, tows, having to sit dangerously on the side of highways when the car would turn of in the heavy rain, and the fact that we ended up just having to junk our car for a few hundred bucks and will now have to purchase a brand new car we cannot afford when we had just paid this one off two years prior. They should be held accountable for basically selling cars with defective components to unsuspecting buyers for tens of thousands of dollars!!!

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Sep 022014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The horn started going off on my 2004 Dodge Durango. We pulled the fuse for the horn and replaced it that did not fix the problem. We then took it in to griffin hub Dodge and Chrysler dealership. I was told at one point that the relay for the airbags was bad. Then the second time that I called I was told the wiring for the air bake was bad. I will be taking it to a different dealership to see if I get the same answer. However if the wiring to the airbag is bad that is a safety issue not a wear and tear issue and should be covered under a recall.

- Milwaukee , WI, USA

Aug 152014

Durango

What can I say... Dodge clearly has a design flaw in which water from rain, ect... leaks onto engine and electrical components slowly causing the death of vehicle with a dying motor and electrical problems. Water pours onto engine right down from the windshield. Who designs this crap!!!! I used the best oils and now this is what I have as a rewards from Dodge for my maintenance.

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Aug 082014

Durango 8-cyl

My 2004 Dodge Durango limited with the hemi 5.7 has an erratic idle at stops whenever it rains. Later in the week I went on the highway at 45 mph the engine stalled during a rain storm. I only have 125,000 miles on the vehicle. I researched this online and found it was most likely the plastic wiper cowl below the windshield allowing water to flow over the top of the engine, which collects on the intake manifold and might slowly make it's way in to the block and hydrolock the engine. Seriously I thought. I went out the next day and opened the hood and placed the garden hose over the center of the windshield with the wipers on and ran the water on low, and also in the off position. Sure enough a lot of water flows in to the driver side wiper hole where it rotates and spreads out over the back two cylinders of the center of the engine. I found there is possibly an upgrade wiper cowl that may prevent some of the water flow buy not all of it. So now I am concerned with this circumstanced even after I get the new cowl that water will still be damaging or destroying my engine one day from water flowing through the cowl over the top of the engine once again. This would cost me $5000-$6000 for engine replacement, just because of a poor design, and no recall or solution from Dodge to take care of this water issue.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Apr 142009

Durango 8-cyl

My truck all of a sudden stop working with no warning. It only has 119,000 miles on it and it wont start. I would like to know if its apart of the recall.

- Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Jul 012012

Durango 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango slt, 2-wheel drive, 8 cylinder, hemi magnum. My problem is that whenever it rains or I go through a car wash or it snows, my car acts like it wants to cut off when I come to a stop. It gasps for air. Sometimes it does cut off, but it quickly starts back again. Once it stops raining, my car acts normal again. I've taken it to a Dodge dealership three times for the same problem, and every time the technician cannot find anything wrong with it. He even drove it in the rain. The answer seems so simple, but no one can seem to find anything wrong with my vehicle. Now I'm afraid to drive it when it rains.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

May 152013

Durango 8-cyl

2004 Dodge Durango limited, 5.7L hemi, purchased on 5/15/13. Extended warranty purchased with vehicle at time of sale. Vehicle has been returned for service five times to date for same root issue. In under one year, only approximately 2600 miles have been driven due to lack of reliability and service related problems. In this case, the root problem is known to the service department and is not unique to this specific vehicle, but rather a known issue with this year, make and model. Chrysler is unable to provide direction or any technical support to assist the service department with solving the issue. It has been clearly acknowledged by the dealership service department, as well as Chrysler directly, that this matter involves a manufacturing defect that has not been corrected and was never issued as a recall. Most recently, I was notified that engine damage had been repaired and the vehicle was ready to be picked up. In the same conversation, however, I was advised that the cause of the damage, being the defect that allows water to enter the engine compartment during heavy rain or car washes, was not rectified. This issue is clearly unresolved and the safety of my family and other motorists could be in jeopardy if catastrophic engine failure were to occur. Chrysler has opted to ignore this frequently reported issue and simply push those who complain away.

- Maple Shade, NJ, USA

Mar 032014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I bought my 04 Durango from a dealer and im outside of warranty I'm a little irritated with my wife calling me complaining she is stranded! I paid big money for this truck and don't think I should be responsible for paying a mechanic to play guess and check. I have my truck randomly shifting in and out of 4lock mostly while driving slow but has happened on the expressway im worried for damage to my transfercase from this I cant afford to replace a transfercase let alone the truck its self I see alot of others with the same issue and I think it should be a recall before someone is hurt by this common problem.

- Washington Twp, MI, USA

Oct 152013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Truck was parked in the driveway and it was raining and without warning the lights turned on and smoke was seen from the hood, the key was not in the ignition or no one was near the truck at the time the fire department was called in and the battery was disconnected. The truck was taken to the dealer for repairs and $1000 was spent on repairs and when the truck was taken for a car wash the same thing happened again the Dodge dealer does not know what causes the water to go in to the engine I was told to change the spark plug wires and cables another $600 but I was told that as water keeps going in the same problem may occur. Tests were done in the Dodge dealer shop and they confirmed that water is going in to the engine but cannot explain why and how to resolve it. If driving and it rains this may cause an accident if the truck turns off while driving.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Apr 012005

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall without warning whenever being driven in rainy weather. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who was not able to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The vehicle continued to stall without warning each time it would rain. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who was not able to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure continued to recur sporadically. The manufacturer was notified of the failure on multiple occasions. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Belford, NJ, USA