Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

Feb 202019

Durango

I am original owner and love my Durango but since I have owned it I cannot drive in rain. The vehicle sputters and dies and check engine light comes on. I found several places online of people with same complaint and the issue is the original cowl. I looked and mine does not have a taller ridge around the wiper bolts or a ridge to divert the water from running into my engine. I need the 2nd generation cowl that was improved part #55362453ak our family always buys Dodge, my husband has the 1500 truck as well as my daughter. I don't understand why Dodge has not put a recall out on this issues that so many are complaining about. I have taken my Durango several times to the service dept. And they could never find the problem but online after seeing everyone with same issue and how they are repairing I know I need this part. I ran water directly over the windshield and as it went over the existing cowl it did indeed dump into my engine and started sputtering and shut off. I tried to find the part but they are costing $180 with shipping and another $130 to have installed. I need this part like so many other Dodge owners and there should have been a recall for this ongoing issue. It is not safe for us because the vehicles stall in traffic and we have to avoid collisions with other drivers as well as creating traffic jams. I have to keep my vehicle parked under a roof to avoid rain and I cannot drive when it is raining. This has been an ongoing issues since I have owned from 2004 to present.

- Monroe, VA, USA

Jan 092019

Durango

Blew a hole in the side of the engine block with a failed rod/piston on a slow right turn.... always took meticulous care of the engine... 5.7 hemi should have lasted 250K to 300K miles.... it blew at 130K miles.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Jul 102018

Durango

The vehicle would always drive rough whenever it rained and would even die when going through a car wash. If it started raining while in traffic, I had to keep my foot on the brake and the gas when coming to a stop otherwise the vehicle would stall. After raining all night, I came to start my vehicle in the morning and it only made a terrible clunking noise without starting. Luckily, I was not driving in traffic when the vehicle decided to stop running due to rain, something that a vehicle should not irregularly and suddenly shut off over.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Nov 012018

Durango

2004 Dodge Durango 5.7 hemi these vehicles are shutting off without warning no steering, brakes lights, hazards, nothing is operable vehicle doesn't stutter or stall at all no waring lights just shuts right off multiple people are reporting the exact same problem this is a serious defect as there aren't any codes or signs of failure

- Old Forge, PA, USA

Oct 272018

Durango

After a night of raining I started up my vehicle to a terrible knocking sound. Blown motor due to defective cowl allowing water to lay on top of intake. And sucked through intake gaskets.causing a hydraulic and blown motor. Comprehensive insurance said mechanical failure. Internet says enough about this viehicle. Rods through the block upon ignition.

- Claysburg, PA, USA

Sep 022018

Durango

My vehicle stalls in the rain. It stalls at a stop or rolling speeds. It idles rough first and then stalls or shuts off. Sometimes the check engine light will come on, but not always. This only occurs in the rain. I've had several mechanics look at it, and they can't figure out how to solve the problem. I've spent a lot of money trying to get this fixed. Through online research, I've discovered that many other Durango owners are experiencing this same issue.

- Destrehan, LA, USA

Aug 162018

Durango

My 2004 Dodge Durango has the 5.7 hemi. During heavy rains the engine would start to run rough and the electrical system shut down on me three different times in the middle of driving due to the rain. During this electrical shutdown steering was impossible and I would have to stop the vehicle in the middle of traffic. The vehicle did this to me one time in the middle of turning at an intersection. Fortunately no accident occured. I found that the issue was being caused by a faulty seal at the wiper cowl. This leak later blew my engine as the water leak found it's way into the cylinders and blew a piston rod. I was told that this defect has been reported to Chrysler by hundreds of people.

- Covington, KY, USA

May 292018

Durango

2004 Dodge Durango. Consumer writes in regards to engine failure. The consumer stated the engine needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and did not offer any assistance due to the vehicle being out of warranty.

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Apr 122018

Durango

I purchased my '04 Durango in 2014 with 70,000 miles on it and just paid it off last month. I haven't even received the title yet but yet I have a truck that doesn't run anymore. About a week or so ago I went out to start my truck and the engine began to knock very loudly. We had a small rain/snow event the night before and the truck had been sitting outside in the elements. I immediately turned off the truck and went back inside to make some calls and get on the internet. I found out that there has been an ongoing issue with this truck concerning water leaking into the engine causing it to hydrolock the engine causing catastrophic engine failure/ engine replacement. Prior to this, I had issues with the truck concerning idling and/or stalling during the rain or when going through a car wash. I read so many comments from fellow vehicle owners that have experienced this issue and have had to replace the engine. There is no other fix. The estimated fix for this is a new/used engine costing thousands of dollars (I was quoted 7000, I only paid 10,000 for the truck when I bought it). I had a mechanic come look at it and he said the truck dropped a valve, it was cylinder #3. my engine has just over 113,000 miles on it. There is no reason I should have to replace an engine at this mileage. None whatsoever. Delving into the issue it seems as if there is a replacement part (cowl fitting) that needs to be replaced that Dodge/Chrysler never issued a recall for although they knew there was an issue and it was causing its engines to blow rods and suffer irreparable damage. If I had known that this I would never ever have bought it especially from a company that doesn't correct their mistakes even when they know about them. I have never owned a Dodge before and I will never buy another again or recommend them to others. They should stand by their product

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 142017

Durango

Durango slt 5.7L V8 hemi engine hydro locked and threw a rod while the vehicle was parked. The hydro lock issue is widely reported with the 2004 first generation of the hemi engine. However, Dodge does not acknowledge this manufacturing defect and safety issue.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Dec 092016

Durango

It was a raini day and decided to go to the store to get groceries. I was driving my vehicle to get to the store from my home to the whole foods in san francisco ca on freeway I-280 North near the exit on geneva I heard a loud noice coming from the engine compartment, so I decided to get out on the exit to see what was going on, I turn left on geneva av I waited on red light on geneva av and howth St when light turn green I let go the break and started to go so I can park on the street and all of the sudden I heard a loud sound and saw a lot of smoke so I pulled over on 33 geneva av san francisco ca and looked around and found pieces of the engine on the road and near the starter on the vehicle, this is when I knew it was done engine was broken and had to call aaa to get a tow truck. Later I decided to do some research on what just happen and found that a lot of other people had problems on this vehicle just like I did.

- South San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 072017

Durango

Car has a new engine and third water pump. It failed after 5000 miles and engulfed in flames causing the failure of the belt, tensioner, main drive pulley and ac compressor. Today Dodge just recalled these pumps for the very same reason bearing failure and super hot conditions causing fires and failure. I was just redriving along the truck has been running well and showed no signs of issues, no noise, smell, lights or struggle. Car was at normal opperating tempurture and daytime traffic. Stopped for gas stayed for a couple minutes then drive on, within two miles without any warning or noise the car started smoking pulled over and smelled a rubber notices no leaks in the water delivery system oil, trans, or power steering, the belt was red hot and smelled like a house fire car was taken 200 yards to pep boys and repaired at the cost of $1300. Should not happen with 5000 miles on the water pump and 20,0000 on a new engine.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Sep 132017

Durango

Has had problems with engine on Durango 4.7L overheating, I drive 15 minutes to work when its warm outside and its already overheating, ive checked various forums online each one had numerous people complaining about the same issue, with all the people complaining I figured Dodge would find a solution, or figured someone would file a class action suit, but nothing has been done.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Jun 102017

Durango

1. recall failed to repair air bag failure. Currently - airbags are not functional (dash warning light). 2. at approximately 72,000 miles - vehicle began to show signs of rust through at both rear quarter panels and both rocker panels. By 85000 miles - complete body rust through failure was irreparable - vehicle was maintained exceptionally clean. 3. at 100000 miles - noted by way of mechanic that the engine was 'sludged up' to the point that the valve train was starved of lubrication and subsequently - the engine has encountered what appears to be a total catastrophic failure. Valves, lash adjuster, piston rod or bearings may all be destroyed directly due to poor design and low quality components from fca. There are hundreds (thousands) of similar complaints across multiple media regarding this 'familiar' Dodge engine breakdown. Fca - of course - denies culpability citing poor user maintenance. I have records of all oil changes for the subject vehicle at 3000 mile intervals consistently from the date of purchase (5/2004), I say - 'fca? time to own up to this problem and do the right thing.

- Kingsford, MI, USA

Jun 112017

Durango

04 Durango slt 4.7 V8. Rattling/rapping noise on start up that worsened through the day. Noise coming from right side of engine bay. Brought to mechanic and identified valve seat(s) in the aluminum head(s) have 'disintegrated' and/or 'dropped' causing the valves to slap on acceleration and multiple other catastrophic engine issues. Fca (Chrysler/Dodge) has been notified of my complaint and they're fully aware of this fatal engine flaw in their late model V8 engines yet they refuse to acknowledge or even advise owners of repair options. They must be told to go good for this situation. This occurred at 110,000 miles. My options now are: A $2000 engine repair, $4000 engine replacement - or - to 'junk' the vehicle - don't get me started about the damned rust on this thing, either... I feel ripped off from a few different angles here by Chrysler/Dodge and I know there are thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of fca owners out here who will never purchase another piece of sh*t from these thieves.

- Kingsford, MI, USA

Mar 252016

Durango

While driving in the rain all of a sudden there was a loud noise and my engine started knocking loudly. I was able to pull the engine and pull it apart and found there was water in the intake and the number 5 cylinder rod had broke. Luckily the part that broke went down and the oil pan gasket/windage tray slowed it down enough to not go through the block. After further inspection I noticed that the intake gaskets were not sealing properly and allowed water to be sucked into the intake and then hydra locked the number 5 piston. When I put it together I noticed the "seal" on the cowl wasn't even touching the window and that let the rain go directly into the engine compartment and sit on the engine. Put those two problems together with the rain and now I have a motor that is broken. I called Dodge and the lady tried telling me that her "master" mechanic had never heard of this problem and yet when I typed in a search on this model and year that was the first thing that popped up. I know that this is a problem with the 2004 Dodge Durango. I have inserted pictures of their intake gaskets and then I held a ruler up to the intake flat and you can clearly see the light shining through the gasket which means that this was definitely not sealing. Also I put a picture of the cowl seal and showed how cheap it is. Also while we were waiting to get the funds to repair the engine it sat through the winter completely covered and the engine hadn't even been taken apart yet and when we pulled the intake off it was completely "full" of water which in turn filled the heads and the cylinders with water.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Jun 292017

Durango

The windshield wiper cowling allows water to flow right over the entire engine and right into the intake. My Dodge was sitting for 2 weeks during heavy rains and when I tried cranking it up for the first time, the engine hydrolocked.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Mar 312017

Durango

The windshield wiper cowl became defective and let water into the engine compartment, specifically the fuel intake manifold. After about 5 years of random water related stalls (rain, dew, car washes) which could never be replicated by numerous mechanics and therefore not properly diagnosed, water eventually found its way into a piston chamber. While on the freeway in san francisco on March 31,2017, hydrolock ensued and caused the number four piston rod to snap and break through the engine block destroying the engine. I was at the Dodge dealership in colma a few weeks prior for an unrelated airbag recall fix and spoke to the a service supervisor about the water related stalling issue. He basically told me to go somewhere else because they only use oe parts and even if they could figure out the problem (no guarantee), they probably couldn't get original parts. He acted like he was doing me a favor! I feel as the Dodge and the dealership is negligent. I have found out subsequently that this issue is widely know amongst parts suppliers (specifically used and rebuilt engine suppliers) and has a high rate of incidence according to various internet forums. I have lodged a formal notice/complaint with Dodge as have many, many others. I got three quotes for replacing the engine, all were over $6000. The vehicle proved to not be wiorth that cost to fix. I have subsequently donated it to a local charity. This problem definitely deserves a recall, and customers such as myself who have incurred financial losses should be compensated. Thanks

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 012016

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. Whenever it rained or snowed, water leaked into the inside of the vehicle through the hood. The water entered the motor and caused the vehicle to stall and the engine to shut off without warning. The check engine indicator illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the water was leaking into the motor and the pistons, which caused them to fail. As a result, the motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jan 102017

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Driving at 30mph on city road the Durango lost full power. No power steering, brakes or acceleration with gas. Had to put Durango in neutral and turn key off and back on. Afterwards it was normal again. Very dangerous and scared to drive with family in it.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA