6.9

Most common solutions:

2. remove & reinsert the 20 amp iod fuse (53 reports)
  3. disconnected battery for 1 minute (11 reports)
  4. remove and reinsert BCM #1 fuse (7 reports)
  5. update firmware in body control module (BCM) (7 reports)
  6. dealer charged me to reflash the computer (4 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Dodge dealer.

Nov 172009

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

Like everyone else who owns a 2005 Dodge Grand Carvan, I too have the infamous power door lock failure. I have come to the conclusion that they all do it eventually and outside of a gallon of gas and a lit match… there is not cure. You can pull the 20 amp fuse to reset the firmware and even have the Dodge dealer re-flash the body control manager, but the problem seems to return eventually. This is a safety concern and the vehicle should be a recall. Dodge should be accountable for this and made to correct the problem. This is only one of the many problems that I have had with van since ownership. It is by far, the most problematic vehicle I have ever owned. A word to the wise… do not buy one!

- , Wallingford, CT, USA

Mar 312011

Grand Caravan

well we bought the van from my uncle in Ardmore, OK and noticed the problem there, they fixed it by resetting the bcm and it worked fine until we drove all the way back home to Las Vegas, NV and the problem reoccurred. so my husband and i were trying to fix the problem and he read the owners manual, section on locks, andf it seems to work for now, not sure how long it will, but i know eventually we will have to replace the bcm, which im sure will cost a lot, i think my cousin said around $500 but that was back in Ardmore, OK, with free labor, out here in Vegas hmmm, im sure an arm & a leg, well hope this helps some people

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 012011

ANOTHER ANNOYING PROBLEM HAVE TO HAND LOCK DOORS OR PULL AN REINSTALL FUSE

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

Feb 182011

Grand Caravan 6.0L

I just bought this "used" dodge grand caravan and it had this problem already, had a locksmith reprogram the BCM with his computer, it worked for 2 days and it is not working again, the only thing that works is the side sliding doors and the back door,then I noticed that in the car manual the previous owner had highlighted some instructions where you can reprogram the locks by switching the ignition key 4 times ending in the off position and then after 10 seconds turn the door lock on, a chime will sound, it did but locks still do not work, I saw on this site that there are over 100 complains listed, I will be calling the National Highway Traffic Safety administration and put in my complain, read below: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration @ 1-888-327-4236. CALL THIS NUMBER AND FILE A COMPLAINT. IF ENOUGH PEOPLE COMPLAIN AND THEY SEE A PATTERN THEN THEY MAY ISSUE A RECALL PLEASE CALL NOW! TOOK ME LESS THAN MINUTES! Goto DodgeForum for a fix if you have a mechanic you know well. It provides the procedure for the reprogram of the the BCM-Body Control Module

Update from Mar 5, 2011: locksmith reprogramed the system again and it has been working. He originally charged under $100.00, did not charge me again, thank God

- , Miami Lakes, Fl, USA

May 172010

Grand Caravan

well I lock my van as always. its lights flashed and the horn honked, thought all was good. the first few times i thought maybe i didn't lock the van, but then in actuality the doors weren't locking at all.the hatch is still controlled by the clicker though. i did find this website that said the trick with the fuse, tried it worked for 2wks, tried it again lasted about a week, finally bought a new fuse, did trick again lasted a few days, did the trick again lasted 2 CLICKS, 2 FRICKING CLICKS. pissed. contacted the dealer only to find out that the van needs to be "reflashed" at 125.00, that "might" fix the problem. so i say screw it, i park in the garage leave drivers door open and passenger window down, that way if i need to get in its open no back and fourth. then i use my handy dandy umbrella to reach across and lock all doors.......fix 5.00 and extra time. i really love my van and my husband hates it and never wanted to get it so i'll do what i can to keep it even if it means "ghetto locks". i really wish dodge would recall this problem.

- , joliet, IL, USA

Jan 282011

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration @ 1-888-327-4236.

PLEASE CALL NOW! TOOK ME LESS THAN MINUTES!

Goto DodgeForum for a fix if you have a mechanic you know well.

It provides the procedure for the reprogram of the the BCM-Body Control Module

- , Wayne, PA, USA

May 152007

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT and been having trouble with it almost from the day I got it, I've tried all the stuff that's been mentioned in these complaints.One dealer even said that I could remove the door locks one by one and clean the electrical contacts, they said it was pretty simple but time consuming .NO WAY!!! This is something the dealer should fix at their expense. Is Chrysler afraid to admit this is a HUGE problem or is it that they just don't give a darn? Do all the top executives get their car fixed for free ?

- , Snellville, GA, USA

Dec 102010

Grand Caravan SXT 3.3L V6

The owners manual does not indicate which fuse is tied to the power locks so I can check and replace if needed. Anyone know which fuse(s) need to be checked? I want to check the fuse before going to dealer for repairs - not under warranty and my last van payment is in January 2011. Help!!!

- , Cooper City, FL, USA

Aug 222010

Grand Caravan LE 3.8L

The power door locks have been failing intermittently for 2 yrs. I unhooked the BCM fuse or the battery cable momentarily at least 25 times.The door locks would work for a short time - then fail again until I repeated the fuse or battery cable removal procedure. As time went on the fix would last less & less time. At the end the locks would only work for 3 days- then would fail again.Initially the Dodge dealer told me it would cost $700.00 to fix it by replacing the BCM. (I didn't want to spend that much money!!) . I finally read about a possible fix from a consumer that merely involved "updating the BCM". I took it to the Dodge dealer again & asked to have the BCM reprogrammed. They did it for $177.27 last month & its been working fine since.

Luckily they didn't try to sell me a new BCM again as that would have been a lot more money to get it fixed.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 012010

Grand Caravan 3.3L

It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this pain in the butt problem. First, the blower fan stopped working on my 2005 grand caravan, and I went online and found out how to fix, ( little fuse type set up behind glove box-cheap fix!) and that worked, but now my wife tells me that her power locks don't work-not with the button on her keys, but also the actual lock button inside her van doesn't work either. I tried replacing the fuses already, and I'm tight for cash right now, so I can't afford to keep taking it into the dealership for repairs. Yeah, I think most of you guys that wrote in hit it on the head. Dodge sucks, and it will be the last one I ever buy!

- , Appleton, WI, USA

May 152008

Grand Caravan V6

This Dodge Grand Caravan has had every problem possible. EGR sensor failed at 40,000 miles, electric door locks became inoperable at 35,000 miles, sliding door inop at 60,000 miles, brake problems at 50,000 miles. I've never owned such a piece of junk in my life. NEVER AGAIN will I buy a Dodge. They are complete junk.

- , Burke, VA, US

Sep 142010

Grand Caravan V6

I pulled of the fuse and it work for a little while and now i had to replace the battery and it still dosent work.It is a real incovenince.

- , Corona, CA, USA

Sep 282010

Grand Caravan

This is the second electrical problem I have had with my Dodge caravan which I hate because I love the ride and design of the vehicle. I already had a complete electrical failure 2 years ago at the cost of $1000.00 to fix. Now my car doors will not auto lock or open. I have been afraid to lock my car for fear that I will not be able to get into it.This is real bad as I often watch my small nephews and keep car seats in the van and a stroller. I am afraid they are going to get stolen.

I do not understand why the electrical system seems to be a problem with this car. Even the CD Player sometimes goes nuts.

I do not know where the 20amp IOD fuse is located can anyone tell me?

- , Waldorf, MD, USA

Sep 082010

Grand Caravan SXT 3.3L

Have read that this is a malfunctionning BCM and Ddoge has not provided any relief for this ongoing issue. Time to fix the problem-Dodge!

- , Vineyard Haven, MA, USA

Sep 122010

Grand Caravan STX 3.8L

I can see by the posts this is a common issue. What is odd is that the dealer just had ours for a week doing the water pump, alternator, AC including new controls. They also did a flash on the computer and now this just 48 hours after we got it back. We have had this van since '06 and it has been average at best.

- , Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Apr 022010

Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

Thanks to this web site and the participants, I removed the IOD fuse (reset) and solve the problem for 1 to 18 days. Only once did I do the reset twice in one day. The dealer, Sport Dodge in Egg Harbor Twp. was useless. The service thought that I had no clue about the van and insisted that I had to have a complete diagnostic test, about $300. As per the this web site I asked to have the TSB applied. I was told that I had no business asking for a TSB.

Update from Oct 3, 2010: So far this has been a routine experience every couple of days. Today I had to do the reset with the IOD fuse 3 times.

Does anyone know the numbers/ids of the Dodge TSBs that maybe can cure this problem?

- , Glen Rock, NJ, USA

May 122009

Grand Caravan 3.3L V6

Rear driver side door will not lock automatically anymore. I have to manually lock and unlock this door by reaching through the driver side door and pulling on the lock. I have tested the fuses and all are good and I have reseated the connector at the base of the door with no luck. Recently, I was driving through a rain storm and now when I lock the doors or unlock the doors the lights do no flash. The turn signals and brake lights work, but they dont flash anymore when locking or unlocking the door. Van was nice to drive but it just seems to be built very poorly. I also have brake issues.

Wish I could just give this back to dodge for a full refund!

- , Noble, OK, USA

Sep 032010

Grand Caravan SE V6

same as everyone else, power locks dont work, pain in my behind as i'm sure it is in your case. Hope pulling and replacing fuse works! dodge sucks. Thanks for this forum, and thanks for being free, very helpful to everyone without having to pay a fortune for dodge's faults!

- , Brockville, Ontario, Canada

Jun 102009

Grand Caravan SXT

Door locks stopped working in June 09. Figured it was the fuse, couldn't find in the owners manual which fuse it was so I decided to check online. That's when I found out that this is a common problem. We tried the removing the fuse for 10-15 seconds trick and it worked for a few weeks. Then it happened again. Did the fuse trick again, worked for a while. It happened several more times during the summer. During the winter/colder months it maybe happened once or twice. Now I'm wondering if it has something to do with using the AC?

So now fast forward to summer 2010. It started doing it more frequently again. And now sometimes we would do the fuse trick and it would work but by the time we would drive home and then go to lock it, it wasn't working already. For the past three days it stops working, I remove the fuse, put it back in, the locks will work once or twice, and then stop working again. I have pulled that fuse about 12 times in the past 3 days!!!! Called the dodge dealer and explained this to them and how I'm only one of MANY with this problem. They claim to have never heard of this. They asked if the battery had recently been dead. About 10 days ago an interior light was accidentally left on over night. The next morning the van wouldn't start. There was enough power in the battery that the clock was still on and the interior lights came on when I opened the door. But not enough juice to start the van, it just made a clicking sound. So the service guy says because the battery was "dead" the computer lost its memory and needs to be reprogrammed for $85 plus tax.

So apparently every time you need to disconnect your battery, or if it's dead or when you replace it, you're going to have to pay to have it reprogrammed. So...I called another dodge dealer, they two say they have never heard of this. For now I stopped at the hardware store and bought a new fuse, even this one is still technically good, and it worked for about 5 lock/unlocks so far. Lets see what my next trip down the road brings. This is our 5th dodge van and our LAST!!!!!

- , Uncasville, CT, USA

Jul 312010

Grand Caravan 3.3L V6

Noticed as I was pulling into driveway, door locks were up. Thought I might have accidentally hit door lock button instead of window control. Unloaded van, then hit remote door lock. Horn beeped. Was in driveway later and noticed door locks up. Opened passenger door and tried door lock. Nothing. Tried remote, locks still up. Tried drivers door. Nothing. Looked in owners manual for fuse, no help. Decided to try internet, and found this site. Pulled the fuse, cleaned the contacts, and it worked. Will wait and see for how long. A side note to this happening. Was not able to manually lock lift gate. Must need power to engage the lock.

- , Marysville, CA, USA