Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Journey:

Sep 162019

Journey

My car is constantly unable to start im being told due to electrical issues. Ive replaced the starter, battery, & alternator. There are all kinds of forums telling you ways around getting the car to start but no real fixes. Some people spending hundreds and thousands trying to fix this issue by replacing fuse boxes, adding cables, replacing the entire computer system and more to no avail. While others just park the car until its paid off or sell it. Its not fair and its inconvenient. Dodge Journeys 2009+ are all experiencing these issues.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 232019

Journey

Battery goes dead all the time, check enjine light, traction light, loses power going up small hills, won't shift, air bag light stays on, testing says it has a battery drain, cam shat sensor light changed but still says bad, we put a new battery in but doesnt help.

- Hardy, AR, USA

Jun 122018

Journey

Takata recall on my vehicle is possible with my transmission. While I was in motion and in drive my vehicle began to rev and not gain any speed. Takata recall, my cruise control light come on when in park but does not work while I am driving.

- Houma, LA, USA

May 012017

Journey

I bought a 2009 Dodge Journey in April of 2017. A week after having it the problems started. First it was a backing plate...no big deal...then it was the transfer case...then my speedometer quit working and a few lights on the dash board. I was thankful that they tried fixing it over several months. Then they said we will give you 6,000 for it....when I paid a little over 10,000 for it...no way! then September came around for inspection and I told them it sounds loud could you take a look at the exhaust. Well they passed the inspection....I took it back a week later and said it still sounds loud...well you need a whole new exhaust! why did you pass it knowing it needed this" I was told well at least you can still drive it. Here I am a year later for another inspection and it won't pass now because of the exhaust...I asked about the speedometer and their response was we will let that slide because it's been a ongoing problem since you bought it. So is it ok for them to be doing this to me? no speedometer...miles on it are definitely not right because they don't move...I have 3 children I drive around in this car...I have to drive my son to pittsburgh children's hospital every so often. Am I in the wrong or are they" I was never asking for any money back or a brand new car...I was only asking for them to make it right with us and they think they have.

- Bradford, PA, USA

Jun 102018

Journey

Iżve had nothing but problems with my Dodge Journey my RPM ramp up to 4-5 whenever I attempt to go 40-45mph the check engine light is on. I took it to button Dodge and they fixed something that has to do with my transmission. Less then a month later it starts doing it again. So can you give me some advice on why. Also my locks and windows and turn signal donżT work right.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Oct 122017

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving 50 mph, the ESC, ABS, and traction control warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle began to shimmy. The contact turned off and restarted the vehicle, which cleared the warning indicators momentarily; however, the failure recurred. Atlantic Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (2330 us-1, St augustine, fl 32086, (904) 797-4383) informed the contact that the lateral acceleration dynamic sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,736.

- St.Augustine, FL, USA

Aug 252017

Journey

The car power will fluctuate with the RPM going up and down when trying to accelerate. New trhottle body with tps sensor, intake air sensor and gas pedal sensors were replaced and still having the same issue. The engine problem light is on also the electric throttle control system light is on. The vehicle has only 83000 miles. Active codes are P0642, P2138, P0335 & P0113. The car is dangerous to drive due to speed fluctuation.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Jun 232017

Journey

My 2009 Dodge Journey will not shut off when you take the key out. The windows will not go up and down. I brought into a Dodge dealership and had the recall on the ignition switch and the wiring harness in the driver door replaced. My car still will not shut off and windows still don't work but now won't go into gear after dealer repaired. I took it to a second dealer and now after 3 week they are saying I need a tipm for $1700. But they don't know if that will fix the problem" plus now the car will not start. My car is in worse shape then when I brought it into the dealership to repair" I called the corporate office and they are not willing to do anything.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

May 032017

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. While driving various speeds, the instrument panel lighting suddenly flashed off and on and the vehicle's speed decelerated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V528000 (electrical system), although the failures were identical. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jul 062016

Journey

Takata recall. My vehicle electronic thruttle control pad censor is not working right I have to unplug it and them plug it back up before I can crank my vehicle up. If not it will not crank. It there a recall on this.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 042016

Journey

While driving at a speed of 45 mph on a road that is rated for 55 mph, the left driver side tire separated from the car. While trying to control the car by hitting the brakes the car speed began to increased.

- Ville Platte, LA, USA

Jan 102015

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, the vehicles power reduced without warning. In addition, the contact stated that there was an abnormal sound coming from the vehicle when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Canton, MS, USA

Nov 192015

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds and attempting to increase speed, the acceleratator pedal failed without warning which caused the vehicle to decrease in speed. The failure was intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 158,080.

- Canyon Lake, TX, USA

Oct 012014

Journey 6-cyl

The part that is defected is tipm(total integrated power module) which I guess you can say the brain. I was driving on my way to work and all of a sudden my whole dash board goes dark and then that's when things went crazy. The wipers starting going and would not stop, this was a dry day can you imagine. The gauges went haywire such as my thermostat went to zero, signal lights would not work, radio died, gas light came on and no speed odometer. All this to say that I travel about 65 miles or so one way to work. Did not know what to think of this and as I continue driving thank goodness to that. The dash board start again to go dark and things came back on and this happen again before I got to work. Need less to say what a way to start out the morning, I thought there may have been a gremlin in my vehicle or some ghost from pass. Trying to brush this off and said this was a fluke or something. I did finally take it to a dealer and this was what was told to me and the cost is almost $900 just for this part, that is crazy. I did not fix this that day because I said this is ridiculous. Then in reading up on this issue there have been numerous complaints about this situation with auto/dealer and they refuse to recall and take care of this real safety issue. This was one of there first cross over vehicle made so there was room for error and errors should be fix by them. Shame on them not to. I need this to be taken care of by them not me the consumer who still has to pay for this vehicle. I need your help! thanks

- Warrenton, NC, USA

Aug 132014

Journey 4-cyl

While driving along the highway, with cruise control on, the vehicle lost power and decelerated. The etc and traction control lights came on the dash. After pulling to the side of the road the vehicle was restarted. After being restarted the vehicle drove normally. This scenario has happened three times at highway speeds and once during acceleration. Around the same time of onset with the power loss issue the vehicle will not start intermittently. Sometimes it starts after several minutes, sometimes it does not start for several hours.

- Boone, IA, USA

Jul 022013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle failed to accelerate. Also, the contact indicated that the brake pedal had to be pressed multiple times in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 13,000.

- Plantersville, AL, USA

Nov 242013

Journey

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact also mentioned that the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the throttle controller needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 99,000.

- Probo, UT, USA

Dec 032013

Journey 6-cyl

Brakes were not working like they should going down a hill. Tried to slow down and stop and I keep going. Brake light came on!

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Dec 222013

Journey 4-cyl

I was driving down the freeway and the )lighting bolt( symbol came on and my motor shut off completely. This is the electronic throttle control symbol, and I could have been severely injured had I not gotten to the side of the road. I called the Dodge dealer in my area and the customer service line. Dodge says this is my problem not theirs. My car is a 2009 with 102000 miles on it. I feel that this is Dodge's problem, what happened to taking care of issues like this. My family could have died because their electrical part malfunctioned. When I checked on line it stated this happens all the time on many different Dodge models I say Dodge should recall each vehicle with these same components so a family does not die because of their use of inferior parts. Dodge has recalled this part on different vehicles just not my model they state that my vehicle, which has the same parts as the other ones recalled is fine because the model year and options are different. To me this is asinine and we all know Dodge needs to do what is right in this matter and fix my car, at their expense.

- Provo, UT, USA

Sep 182013

Journey 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway, with my daughter in the car, and my truck completely lost power. I was luckily able to pull over and restart the vehicle. It was very scary and my life and my daughter's life were in jeopardy. This happens approximately one every 3 weeks. Today, 11-25-2013, my fiance was driving around a roundabout, the car died and she was hit lightly from behind. Also, the controls on my driver's side door do not work properly. They rarely roll down the windows correctly and right now, the back driver's side window is down. I had to duct tape plastic on the door. I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow to try and fix these problems. I just don't know why this series of 2009 Journeys were not recalled. We are scared to even drive the Journey especially because of the lost power issue and with really no money to have it diagnosed.

- Noblesville, IN, USA