Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Journey:

Jun 202019

Journey

Altinater shorted out fried reset and battery while driving lost all power luckily we were coming out of a parking lot but got locked in the car got one door to unlock

- Lake City, FL, USA

Jun 142019

Journey

Mil illuminates indicating cam shaft position senor and multiple other codes at start up or highway speeds. This also cuts off the stability control and puts the car in, imp mode. The car will also stall without warning at highway speeds creating an unsafe condition. Dealership currently evaluating issue for cam shaft phaser failure. This occurs at least once a week however the most recent incidence on 6/14/2019 resulted in the car stalling while turning resulting in loss of power steering and braking. The code always resets after a driving cycle is completed but comes back in a day or so. It is my understanding that early 3.6 L engines for 2011 had an issue with cam shaft phaser but no recall has been issued for my vehicle.

- Waterloo, SC, USA

Jan 012015

Journey

Takata recall airbag light has gone off numerous times and I've reset it numerous times, this problem started about 6 months ago for the airbag light also the climate control power button and the touch screen for the car interior fan will turn on with nobody touching it, I will turn it off and it will turn back on automatically I keep turning it off and it keeps turning on I don't know what's going on with this but it's been going on since I got the car need help finding out what's going on getting tired of these problems.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jan 222019

Journey

The car feels likes it's pulling and sometimes it won't accelerate.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Jan 012018

Journey

I believe that maybe the location of the battery has caused overheating problems that have caused the vehicle not to start. The whole car will turn on (ac, lights, radio) except for the engine and it has left myself and my children stranded in extreme weather conditions. The car intermittently turns on and this has been occurring for one year now. It can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours before the car turns back on.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Jun 042018

Journey

"takata recall": local Dodge dealer, inspected the vehicle and replaced the defective part(s), then told my wife the 'actual steering wheel airbag' wasn't working and diagnosed the issue as the electrical connector. They said they would not repair, replace or fix unless we paid the cost for a new airbag, why isn't the airbag part of the recall? we haven't had any accidents in this vehicle nor anything that would, could damage the airbag.. since the dealer is stating the problem is electrical, in the safety system, should this be classed as a 'safety' issue and repaired by the dealer..

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 022018

Journey

I bought it on October 2011 at the South of Florida, since then I had keeping and driving the car at the same location, never tried drive in low temperatures. But, in June 2016 I moved to region where the weather is between 20F or -7C during winter. Then the tail light on the lift stopped working, but it was not burned and no problem with the fuses the battery was dying frequently. This winter the rear wiper stopped working too. Now it was time to discover what's going on. Thus, I found broken wires in the sleeve between body and lift gate, where the wires need be flexible. I can confirm and concluding: The wires installed at the car do not support temperatures bellow 20F or -7C, in these condition the wires crack and broke and causing short-circuit. There are defective wires installed in this make car causing lost of power, short-circuit and letting the car instable. My concern is the others doors may have same defective wires. And it's happenig in any situation, stationary, in motion, on a city street or a highway, turning, sincerely

- Greenhithe, AE, USA

Nov 012016

Journey

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Journey. While attempting to start the vehicle, the battery indicator illuminated. The contact stated that the failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 63,000.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Mar 012018

Journey

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that there was an electrical failure. The functions on the steering wheel failed to intermittently operate properly. The uconnect function had also been affecting the ability to turn on the radio and the function controls on the display panel. In addition, the display screen near the radio was black with no visibility of the time and other functions each time the failure occurred. The dealer (hendrick Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, 1624 montgomery hwy, hoover, al 35216, (205) 545-8074) was notified and stated that the vehicle needed to be diagnosed to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was not available.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Feb 012018

Journey

Horn honks while driving windows roll down doors lock and will not unlock seat moves dash lights all come on happens while parked and can¿T stop horn will not let into car replaced many batteries and have no answer from dealers

- Columbus, IN, USA

Mar 022018

Journey

Horn honks while driving, electric seat moves, lights flash, and windows roll down all doors lock and will not unlock, will also do while parked and you can¿T unlock to get into car. Happens daily since 2-1-18

- Columbus, IN, USA

Jan 162018

Journey

While driving down the interstate at approximetely 65mph my Dodge Journey shut off and then restarted again. Luckily I was on a straight away at the time. While researching I found out that other Journey's from 2009-2010 have had the same issue.

- St. Johnsbury, VT, USA

Mar 142017

Journey

Electric:my lights keep going out since purchase under 1yr..,replace fuses 4times in 6mths..my truck locked up with ignition start key remote in car an almost locked my son 6yr. Old in car...had to call aaa for lockout service safety concern and Dodge did safety check an stated no concerns...,also stockton Nissan purchased all 4new tires an did brakes an drums under warranty of safety from purchase an both went bad under 5mths of work order history an they refuse to do any checks on this vehicle, ..my passenger tire split, and right now when I drive there's a loud, squeaky noise with vibration when hitting brakes while driving...stockton Dodge wanted to charge me 480$ just to diagnose recommend I take back to purchase dealer(stockton Nissan) and they should send it to Dodge but lisa, and amanda mathews would not take the vehicle at Nissan...stated gary bishop says do not take this vehicle for any reason...I don't understand why if I pay for extended warranty coverage over $3000 to stockton Nissan and they were the ones who supposedly did the work that's unsatisfactory an cause defects an safety issues an concerns...I also called Nissan Corp/lithia and was told about lithia/Nissan&first extended warranty coverage policies in middle of a big change so it limited my vehicle being repaired over 130"?"miles of home range an I'm a partial paraplegic..also stockton sold me this vehicle an extended warranty knowing my disability an safety concerns for myself an 5young kids.. this is unacceptable an unsafe for any dealership with purchase of a vehicle and in complaint of safety concerns repeatedly an for the customer to be prolonged stating they can trade it back but wanna do it as another purchase with more $$ down, credit check again, an same process as new purchase..stockton Nissan with held information viable from the extended warranty purchase contract due to changes..

- Stockton, CA, USA

May 022017

Journey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Journey. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle began to lose power and various indicators illuminated. The vehicle was driven to an independent mechanic who charged the battery and the vehicle resumed normal operation. The manufacturer was called and advised the contact to take the vehicle to be diagnosed. The vehicle was diagnosed and repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 64,600. Updated 06/21/17

- Orange, VA, USA

Jan 222016

Journey

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Journey. While driving 65 mph, the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the check engine light illuminated due to a low battery. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. In addition, while driving 25 mph, there where a squeaking noise coming from the brakes. When the vehicle was in reverse, it made a knocking/kicking noise and failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer a second time where it was diagnosed that the transmission and a faulty cylinder head failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Muskogee, OK, USA

Mar 292016

Journey

Recurring safety issue with no concrete resolution. While driving at 55mph on a parkway vehicle engine stalled. I could not accelerate and the brakes and steering wheel locked. Radio, power windows, etc. All worked and I couldn't shut off the vehicle via the push button start/stop. When I pressed it to try and turn it off it made a noise like it was trying to start but couldn't. while waiting for the tow truck all of the check engine lights started flashing. Had it towed to the dealership, they replaced the alternator ($$) though diagnostics revealed no problems and they were able to start the car fine once it got there. One week later I was on the highway and the exact same thing happened. It was so scary. I could barely get to the shoulder of the road because the steering had locked. My speed was declining rapidly with cars rushing past at 65+ mph. Once on the shoulder, even though my speed had declined to 0, I was on a slight hill so I just kept rolling bc I had no ability to break. Journey was towed to dealership again and, as before, nothing comes up as the source of the problem via the diagnostics test. The one thing that diagnostics did reveal was that it was detecting a key fob in the car with a low battery- both of the keys are at home with me with no car to drive. Additional problems and repair costs incurred have included malfunction of all steering wheel control buttons and horn, tire sensors needing to be replaced (they all showed 0 pressure when the tires were fine), and key fob detection. I have seen many complaints of this scary engine stall experience with no clear resolution as to why it is happening. It seems the mechanics and star techs are stumped.my car only has 75K miles on it and I am terrified to drive it especially with my child in the car. Please investigate this issue before someone gets injured.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jan 172016

Journey 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the rear locking mechanism failed to unlock. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the technician could not find the failure to unlock the mechanism. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 04/07/16

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Nov 022015

Journey 4-cyl

2011 Dodge Journey. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle wiring harness and cruise control switch problems. The consumer stated the wiring harness shorted out internally and caused the cruise control switch to short out, as well.

- Lyndhurst, OH, USA

Sep 212015

Journey

My vehicle has been in the shop twice in 2 weeks. It started with a transmission issue. I was driving to work last Monday when the car would not shift into gear. The engine continued to idle, but it would not go into the next gear. After having it towed to carmax where it was purchased. They sent it to the transmission shop who later confirmed my torque convertor was faulty. So it was replaced. My truck was in the shop from 9/21-9/25. I was finally able to pick it up on Monday 9/28. Well, I picked it up and it was driving fine. Then all of a sudden yesterday 9/30, I go outside on my lunch break and it will not start at all. The lights, clock, radio, seats...etc all work fine. But, the vehicle will not start. No clicking noises or anything. It is not trying to turn over at all. I took it back to the transmission shop who last worked on it and they can not figure out what is wrong. They say the diagnostic machine is not picking up on anything! I have to wait until the morning to call the Dodge dealership to see if they can now take a look at it. This is very frustrating!!!! I will update again once I know what the problem is.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 242015

Journey

Today 8-24-15 my 2011 Dodge Journey shut off as I was driving down a road. There was no prior indication the car all of the sudden would not steer, brake or do anything. The electric was still on but the car completely shut off. I had to use all my strength to maneuver it off the road and wait for it to slow down. My child was in the car. This is the second incident this has happened - 1st being in March 2015. Both have been reported to Chrysler. Both times I have brought to my local mechanic and it was set up for computerized diagnostic testing and both time threw no error codes. My mechanic believes it is an issue with the win module or something that is making the car ignition faulty and turning to accessory mode. It is unsafe to drive and I have contacted Chrysler because they need to stand behind their product. They are unwilling to make it a priority and have not offered a resolution. Just a note, the 2009 and 2010 version of this vehicle have been recalled for same issue. I have set up appt to have it diagnosed by Chrysler service center as they have indicated -however, the only time they could fit me in was a full week away. So now I wait because they feel that my car is safe " and haven't even offered a rental "!

- Cornish , ME, USA