Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Dodge Journey:

Jul 102019

Journey

While driving my Journey will stall and I lose power steering and brakes with no warning. It also randomly happens when stopping. This has happened while sitting in traffic at a red light and when it turns green my car doesn┐T move. Had to put it in park and restarted with no issues. This happened when stopping at a stop sign. Had to put it in park and restart. This happened when slowing down to turn left. Lost all power steering and brakes. Almost had a head on collision and rear ended with 2 children in the car. After I got the car to stop I had to put it in park and start. Every time this issue happens I have to put it in park and it starts right back up. I have taken to the dealership twice, same issues and they say nothing is wrong because they are not getting an error code.

- 89014, NV, USA

Jun 092019

Journey 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2016 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle completely shut off while driving 25 mph. In addition, the check engine indicator illuminated, the power steering seized, and the brakes stopped working. The contact steered the vehicle to the side of the road and it rolled to a stop. The vehicle was towed to fred martin superstore (3195 barber rd, barberton, oh 44203, (330) 753-4444) where it was diagnosed that the crankshaft position sensor failed. The dealer confirmed that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 42,194. Consumer stated there are recalls on other 2016 Dodge Journeys for problems with the crankshaft sensor. I think they need to include other models.

- Akron, OH, USA

Apr 172019

Journey

The contact owns a 2016 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the vehicle had not experienced a failure until it was repaired by crown Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram greensboro (3710 w wendover ave, greensboro, nc 27407, (336) 790-9850). The dealer indicated that they made a provision of servicing the vehicle for a manufacturer service campaign regarding the suspension, and they replaced the lower control arm. The repair failed to provide a solution; therefore, the dealer stated that the steering boot may be faulty. The contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the front driver side wheel and the suspension was very unstable when driving. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer more than three, but no remedy was provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Yanceyville, NC, USA

Feb 272019

Journey

Vehicle was in drive when the engine cut out. All control of the vehicle was lost. This has happened twice within one week

- Le Mars, IA, USA

Jan 022019

Journey

The car was in motion on a city street the first time the engine just turned off then we where on the highway with big rigs behind and on sides when engine just suddenly shut off it was my husband driving the first time andwe had our kids in the back and a friend also it was a very frightening experience I told my huband dont panic push the starter button to turn off the car because U couldn't give it gas because engine was off but car still on in gear then thankfully the first time we it was not busy at the time we my husband pushed the start button and car was in off mode and then waited a few minutes before turning car back on by pressing the starter button and then we proceeded to enter the highway and about two miles down you feel a pull and the engine turned off again at speed from 75 to quick decrease in speed he veered off to the shoulder with cars and big rigs around us to the shoulder and pushed the ignition button to the off position and waited a few mins prayed and the car started after pushing the ignition button took it to the dealer the next day as that was night and it took a day for the dealership to say the car was fine it might be..exact words the engine crank shaft but it was working fine for the techs so it was at my choice to have it changed or not. It seemed to be working fine. The engine light that had turned on after the engine shut off was off so I decided it was just a glitch and car was ok. Here I am 2 weeks later and the car keeps doing the same thibg on the highway and street it is aweful, I have a all power train warrantee and the dealership says the engine crankshaft is not a part covered by warrantee please help others not get seriously injured or even die from a crash due to this not to detectable defect.

- Barstow, CA, USA

Aug 162018

Journey

While driving on county road I came to sharp curve with an incline. As I entered the curve the power steering stopped working, brakes were very hard to depress and the vehicle came to a stop and would not accelerate, the engine was still running. I was able to shut off the vehicle and turn it back on and it worked as normal.

- Bardwell, KY, USA

Jul 272018

Journey

Little over 30K miles. About 47 mph on a 45 highway and needed to veer right. I had my music turned up and instead of breaking I allowed the car to coast so the speed would drop before my turn I needed to make.. when I dropped to a speed I was happy with, then I start breaking and thats when I realized the car had cut off, the steering wheel locked up, and the brakes became tougher to push. It was a busy highway and a just as busy right turn that I was trying to make. I had to throw the car in neutral to restart while still rolling or I would have been hit.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Apr 092018

Journey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2016 Dodge Journey. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and became extremely difficult to turn in either direction, especially while turning left. The dealer (brown-daub Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram of bath and Dodge truck center, 7720 beth-bath pike bath, pa, (610) 837-9303) was notified of the failure, and indicated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V273000 (steering). The dealer stated that the vehicle would need to be diagnosed to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer confirmed that the vehicle was excluded from the recall and suggested that the dealer diagnose and repair the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Albrightsville, PA, USA

Jan 192018

Journey

Driving my daughter to school this morning, slowed from 25 mph for upcoming stop sign. Lost all power and steering. All electrical components in the vehicle were blank. Seemed a bit difficult to stop but not sure if that was a brake issue. Stored vehicle. Put it in park. Lights on components came back on immediately and button start indicator still lit in run position. Stepped on brakes and pushed the button and the vehicle started fine. No issues on return home. Almost exactly 2 hours later tried to take my son to school. Hit unlock button on keys, no response. Tried multiple tonnes and any/all buttons- no response. Used "valet" key to unlock door. No component lights or indicators came on. Left the drivers door open, opened hood, looked around, no obvious problems. Shook battery cables- all tight. Closed hood hazard lights started flashing. Got in and pressed on the brakes, pushed start button and vehicle started. Did not drive it at that time. Barely 2 hours later I started the vehicle too drive to work. Let it warm up for about 3 minutes, then took city streets. About 1 mile into the drive I stopped for a red light. Vehicle again lost all power, no lights on components, nothing. Had a vehicle coming up behind me so quickly put it in park and restarted the vehicle. Oil indicator light came on. Looked at vehicle info and temps were all within mid-range. Got to work (approximately 1 more mile away) and turned vehicle off. I have started it on each break (every 2-3 hours) and none oil light is on and no other issues have occurred. I bought this vehicle on January 5th, have driven it practically every day, put almost 400 miles on it (now at 14,807) and no issues until today. Scared to drive it now but must get to work to pay for it!

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Dec 152017

Journey

I was driving 65 mph in a middle lane on the freeway when my engine suddenly stalled out. I lost the ability to steer or brake, and my vehicle quickly lost speed. I barely managed to get to the side of the freeway before it completely stopped. I called my husband to come get me, and he managed to restart it and drove it home while I followed in our truck. About 5 miles down the road, the engine stalled out on him. We took it to the Dodge dealership, and the mechanic who took it for a test drive freaked out when the problem happened to him with my husband in the passenger seat. However, they found nothing wrong with the vehicle and refuse replace any of the recalled parts from 2016 Dodge Journey's relating to the engine stalling out because they insist my car was manufactured a couples of weeks before the recall goes into effect. My concern is for my three toddlers who were sitting in the back seat and nearly got killed. I have called Dodge repeatedly about this, but they haven┐T fixed it yet or given me a reason why my one year old car is so dangerous.

- Pacifica, CA, USA

Oct 252017

Journey

Wife was backing out of driveway and engine stopped / stalled as she entered the road and started to turn while backing. Radio and electrical systems were working. Had to push starter button to off so I could start it again. Attempting to start it already in the run position failed with an error I don't remember and did not write it down at the time as she woke me up to tell me what happened and I went out to driveway and check. Unknown reason why and have not contacted dealer yet. Reporting this here as it may seem to be a trend after doing a google search. Has not happened before with this vehicle.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Oct 202017

Journey 4-cyl

The car cut out traveling down the highway with engine light fault and lose of power, brakes and steering. This is a common problem with the crankshaft position sensor (code P0335) and needs Dodge to recall on this and fix this lethal fault of complete lose of control at speed. Yesterday was the 3rd time this has happened and I had my family in the car this time...updated 10/23/17 updated 10/25/17 updated 10/30/2017 updated 11/2/2017

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Aug 262017

Journey

This is the second time my car has lost engine power, along with power steering and breaks. I pulled up to a light and stopped to turn right. I was on a busy surface street. As I tried to turn and accelerate I found the power steering was gone and that the car was rolling. All the car electrical I.e. music, lights were on but the engine was dead. I hit the power button and the car started again. I will take this car into Dodge again but I suspect that they will tell me that they can't find anything wrong with the vehicle and send me home with it. This happened last year also and there has been no resolution.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Aug 252017

Journey

I was driving on the highway, at about 60mph, was slowly the car down because I was going to be making a right turn. Out of nowhere my steering wheel started to lock up, as did the brakes. I had no control of my car. My car came to a stop by itself and I did not have control of it again until I turned it off and restarted it. I was almost in a very serious accident

- Taft, CA, USA

May 102017

Journey

When turning the steering wheel right or left while trying to park it makes a whining noise

- Woolwich Twp, NJ, USA

Nov 262015

Journey 4-cyl

The vehicle was in an accident on November 26, 2015. The steering wheel was shaking uncontrollably. This has been an issue since purchase. The braking was not accurate. The car would lose steering functionality along with braking capacity and has become hazardous while driving. On November, 26th, 2015, an accident occurred due to the malfunction of this vehicle. At this time, the parts to replace the malfunctioned parts were not available. I have received 2 recall notices for my brand new truck. My 2 year old daughter and I were injured in this accident.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 022016

Journey

The contact owns a 2016 Dodge Journey. While approaching a stop light, the steering column locked without warning. In addition, the accelerator pedal was applied and failed to accelerate. The contact had to turn the vehicle off to reset the computer. The dealer test drove the vehicle, but could not duplicate the failure. The dealer cleared a code concerning the power train control module and provided no repair solution. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 6,000.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Aug 132016

Journey

The car stalled out with no warning on the highway. Luckily I was going slow because I was going on an off ramp to get onto the highway. The car siezed up completely I had no control I barely was able to limp it into a parking lot. I was lucky. The car restarted with no problems after that. I took it to the dealer and they spent 3 full days diagnosing the problem. They found nothing. I looked online and there are similiar complaints about this vehicle. And the same thing is said over and over again.........nothing is known about the problem thus nothing can be done about the problem. Meanwhile I am stuck driving a car that could at any time do the same thing again. It is like playing russian roulette. I do not want to drive this car again I do not want this car anymore.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Jul 142016

Journey

I bought this car with 11 miles on it. A couple weeks ago I was going about 30 mph and I stopped at a 4 way stop. I did a complete stop the engine turned off the steering wheel locked and I was stuck in the intersection luckily I didn't get hit. I had to put it back in park and it turned on. Scary situation. Today I attenpted to turn on the ignition and it just turned and turned for 30 seconds and car didn't start. I turned it off and tried again the car started but check engine light is on still don't know what's wrong will take to dealer asap

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 192016

Journey

Vehicle stalls randomly while decellerating, braking, stopped or driving. All electrical components remain operational (A/C. radio, gauges, etc.) but braking and steering become difficult. You must come to a stop, park and restart the vehicle. This has happened three times now, twice to myself and once to my wife. Two dealerships have found no issue so nothing can be done. I am at the end of my options and fear for the safety of my family. Please advise me of my options before one of us is hurt or worse.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA