Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Dodge Neon:

Nov 151998

Neon

Engine head gasket is leaking oil. Consumer contacted dealer.

- Queens Village, NY, USA

Dec 181998

Neon

ABS brakes would make squealing noises first thing in moring, but later squealing noises would disappear. Brake pads are worn down. Passenger's window would be whistling; has no weather stripping. The spark plugs keeps blowing out. Also, engine head gaskets are not working properly. Whenever the spark plugs are blown, the vehicle would just stop running.

- Suisun, CA, USA

Nov 141998

Neon

Oil leaks from the engine head gaskets every eight months. Dealer contacted and did repairs. Problem still exisits. Also, car stalls while driving, due to a problem with the computer.

- Queens Village, NY, USA

Jun 151999

Neon

My 1996 Dodge Neon has a blown head gasket. This could cause a fire by allowing the oil to make contact with the exhaust manifold. I have done some research to find that there are many cases of this happening to other Neons. It is a design defect and should be recalled by Chrysler.

- River Falls, WI, USA

Jul 071999

Neon

Engine head gasket oil leak. Multiple garagemen indicate majority of Neons have same problem.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 121999

Neon

Vehicle has had to have a new transmission, head gasket, spark plugs and wires, and the fuel gauge stopped functioning. All before 60,000 miles.

- Nerstrand, MN, USA

Jul 031999

Neon

Head gasket failed and damaged engine block. Needs new engine. According to your records, this is a very common problem with the Neon. Please.recall.

- Rialto, CA, USA

Jun 241999

Neon

In January 1998 while my car was still under warranty I took it back to the dealer because I had an oil leak. My receipt states they fixed the front engine seal. Now in June 1999 I need a new front engine seal and my car is no longer under warranty.

- Lauderhill, FL, USA

Aug 011998

Neon

We have replaced head gasket twice and one was w/ there redesigned head gasket. Now it is starting to go out for a third time. At 500 dollars a repair this is highway robbery. I do regualarly scheduled maintence and services and most of my miles are highway miles. Alot of people are expeirencing head gasket failures on the Neons and for someone who gets a loan (that he can barly afford) for a Neon, shouldn't be worried about multiple head gasket repairs. It is obviously a manufactures default. The dealer ship that repaired my head gasket (both of them, they replaced them twice) has acknowledged that the Neons do have this problem. He has replaced several head gaskets. I'm really getting tired of this. I'm mean really, what kind of new car needs three head gaskets replaced in two years. I'll never by another Neon again, and I'm not recommending them to anyone either. Thanks... jeremy

- Nampa, ID, USA

May 011997

Neon

Engine seals malfunctioned in rear gasket twice, and in head gasket twice which caused an oil leak and could have started a fire. Dealer could not determine problem.

- Des Monies, IA, USA

Jan 061998

Neon

The Neons' head gasket was replaced a little over a year ago, while under warranty, now needs to be replaced again and is not under warranty. I have talked to other Neon owners and most have replaced a head gasket also. Also, while under warranty, I have a printed bill from the dealer that stated the job total was $436. Now the same dealer same car same problem is telling me it will be over $1000 and the car is not under warranty"???"

- Glen Lyon, PA, USA

Apr 271999

Neon

Vehicle has had four head gasket replacements that have resulted in leakage. Mjs

- Somerset, WI, USA

Apr 271999

Neon

Head gasket failed resulting in leakage. Mjs

- Somerset, WI, USA

May 051999

Neon

Engine head gasket is leaking an excessive amount of oil.

- La Grange, KY, USA

Mar 131999

Neon

This is the same problem alot of other people are having. The car is excessively leaking oil and when it is checked it turned out to be the cylinder head gasket. My mechanic said it would be $610.70 to fix. He was kind enough to even check for recalls for me. I cannot believe with the amoint of complaints, that there has not been a recall. My mechanic even made me a copy of an advertisement in motorage magazine for fel-pro that mentions the "troublesome and expensive problem on their '95-'97 2.0L engines. Conventional head gasket designs cannot withstand the stress at the oil pressure hole, causing oil to leak" if this quote was a lie I think Chrysler would have pulled the ad and filed a lawsuit. Obviously it is true, and the consumers are paying. This was my first and last Chrysler. I am going back to Chevy.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Mar 171999

Neon

Vehicle started leaking a large amount of oil. Also. Heard a knocking in the engine. Dealer contacted, and could remedy problem. Repairwork was done at owner's expense. Problem still exists. Provide further information.

- Newburn, NC, USA

Apr 031999

Neon

Noticed oil leaking on driveway. We took it to the dealer who informed us that the head gasket needed replacement. Contacted Dodge they said we had to get inspected which is $120. Then if it is the head gasket they will only pay a percentage of the cost and they would not tell us what percentage I just want to know what steps to take to get this taken care off. Thank you.

- Lorain, OH, USA

May 131996

Neon

In may my steering column was replaced. It was again looked at in November of 1996. Now, my steering column has once again failed. It takes 10 turns of my wheel to turn from one extreme to the other. Also, my head gasket, at 45000 miles started to leak. This shouldn't happen to a car 3 years old.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 221999

Neon

Head gasket failure. Also caused damage to engine head.Chrysler corporate offered no assistance. Nor return phone calls.

- Holland, MI, USA

Oct 261998

Neon

Engine gaskets and seals and rack and pinion steering failed.

- Lafayette, LA, USA