Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Dodge Neon:

Apr 041999

Neon

These vehicles need to be recalled now, the head gaskets are defective and they know it, I'm tired of oil flowing out of the back of the engine, all over the exhaust manifold which will cause a fire, , please help.

- Clinton Twp., MI, USA

Oct 011999

Neon

The head gasket on my Dodge Neon needed to be replaced a second time at only 76,000 miles.(conveniently out of warranty). I know several other people that have had this same problem. Dodge has been contacted but no reply has been given.

- Hammond, LA, USA

Feb 292000

Neon

The head gasket leaked oil, so had to be replaced. What I am angry about is Chrysler knew that the orginal part was faulty, hence they re-designed the placement part. However, they are making their customers pay for their mistake, which I think is wrong. I have recently seen where Ford is reimbursing their customers for the same problem (faulty head gasket). Why wouldn't Chrysler do the same thing to keep their customers happy?

- Vienna, WV, USA

Mar 182000

Neon

I own a 1996 Dodge Neon and recently my engine check light came on. My husband checked my oil and anti-freeze and noticed there was oil in the radiator. He knew right away that the head gasket was gone. We went to the dealer to purchase a head gasket and the salesman told us that Neon's were known for this problem that the original head gasket that were installed at the plant weren't think enough. My husband asked him why we should replace this and not the dealer. Our area part stores can't keep up with stocking head gaskets for these cars. Why should we pay for this?

- Fort Ann, NY, USA

Mar 182000

Neon

I own a 1996 Dodge Neon and recently my service engine light came on. My husband checked my oil and anti-freeze and noticed there was oil in the radiator. He knew right away that the head gasket was gone. We went to the dealer to purchase a head gasket and the salesman told us that Neon's were known for this problem that the original head gasket that were installed at the plant weren't think enough. My husband asked him why we should replace this and not the dealer. Our area part stores can't keep up with stocking head gaskets for these cars. Why should we pay for this?

- Fort Ann, NY, USA

Mar 172000

Neon

Head gasket has failed twice, causing massive oil leaks!

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Mar 172000

Neon

Consumer noticed large amount of oil leaking from vehicle. Dealer has been notified, and engine head gasket was replaced.

- Ramsey, NJ, USA

Mar 152000

Neon

An oil leakage due to head gasket failure which causes damage to engine. Manufacturer is aware of defect, but will not provide assistance.

- Concord, CA, USA

Oct 101999

Neon

Had to replace the head gasket at about 60,000 miles. I see lots of other people are having the same complaint. When will there be a recall? this same engine is used in a number of Chrysler cars and the problem is happening to those owners also. Help us out.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Feb 012000

Neon

Head gasket failing second time - leaking oil badly - have lost approximately 2 gallons of oil into the environment through leakage for each failure - when will an environmental recall be issued for these cars - Dodge claims no record of first repair but I have receipts, do not trust Dodge's reporting of the extent of this problem - www.Neons.org shows up to 1/3 of these vehicles are having head gasket failures. This would indicate that 600,000 gallons of oil have already been leaked into the environment - when will something be done to end it.

- New Bloomfield, PA, USA

Feb 012000

- New Bloomfield, PA, USA

May 051999

Neon

Ongoing oil leakage; vehicle taken to an independent repair shop, and was informed there was a blown head gasket. Dealer repaired the vehicle.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Feb 152000

Neon

The head gasket was defective which in the process it ruined the short block, cylinder three, and the radiator

- Wamego, KS, USA

Feb 152000

- Wamego, KS, USA

Mar 092000

Neon

Engine head gasket leaks oil.

- Turtle Creek, PA, USA

Mar 062000

Neon

Had an oil leak, mechanic said I had to replace the head gasket. It is obvious there should be a recall.

- Woodlawn, NY, USA

Dec 121999

Neon

Consumer noticed oil leaking from underneath the car. The head gasket blew out more than on one occasion. Chrysler had known of problems with head gaskets in Neons, and agreed to pay for parts only.

- Montague, MI, USA

Jan 152000

Neon

Twice the head gasket on this car has blown. The first time the car was at 35,000 miles, just short of the warranty so it was replaced at no cost. The second time the head gasket blew was just 1 1/2 years later and I was quoted between $800-$1,500 to have it repaired again. Chrystler corporation is fully aware that this is a common problem with this make and model. I called a number of dealers when trying to get this car fixed and every dealer said this is a very common problem. More than half the dealers recommended I call chrystler corporation to get assistance with the cost. After raising enough hell with chrystler and the dealership, I was able to get it repaired. I do not want to go through this every year and a half. And I should not have to...this is a major, expensive repair and that company should have enough confidence in their product to warranty it.

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Feb 172000

Neon

Head gasket was first replaced about 2 years ago, I am having it replaced for the 2nd time now.

- Weston, FL, USA

Feb 072000

Neon

Vehicle was taken to a mechanic because of oil leakage. It was determined that the engine head gasket was leaking oil. The head gasket has been replaced. The original engine head gasket was replaced at 8, 000 miles. Chrysler confirmed that there was a problem with the head gasket. But it was not under recall. Ak.et.

- Hialeah, FL, USA