Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Dodge Neon:

Mar 181996

Neon

Ongoing problem with a 2.0L engine head gasket failure. From March of 1996 to present, vehicle has experienced replacement of 2 head gaskets, egr valve with eet, oil pressure sensor/switch, and transmission.

- Garnerville, NY, USA

Feb 032000

Neon

The dealership told me they were aware of the problem with the head gasket. At the time mine was being repaired there were 2 other Neons in the shop with the same problem. This was stated by the service manager mark mendez. He also stated that this was a common problem with Neons that were produced before 1999. My car needed work done after my 3 year/36000 mile warranty expired.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 101998

Neon

Would like to add my (now) 2 experiences to the mix of many, in regards to head gasket problems with the 1996 Dodge Neon line of vehicles. This seems to be a very common problem, and Chrysler has done nothing to ease the costs of this problem for hundreds of thousands of customers. I have replaced the head gasket (under extended warranty) twice now. The first time the blown head gasket caused enough damage that the entire engine head had to be replaced the first time. As I was writing this, I received a call from the 5-star Chrysler dealership/service shop who is doing the work for a second time now (the car was also purchased there), and found out I will be without the car for another week because this time the damage is requiring replacement of the entire engine due to warping. Even though this is covered by extended warranty, I have to pay $100 about every 20,000 miles to have this problem fixed. I am told Chrysler is on their 6th revision of this gasket, but no recall or consumer warning has been made public. Searching through the internet, it is staggeringly easy to find many others who are having this same problem. This costs me money and the inconvenience of being without one of my vehicles for a known problem.

- Aloha, OR, USA

Jan 262000

Neon

Sudden complete loss of oil due to head gasket failure.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Jan 222000

Neon

I have had multiple problems on a 96 Neon. I think around 35,000 miles (10/29/98) that the head gasket blew. I took it to be fixed at a cost of $100 covered under warranty. Again at 50,000 + miles (4/29/99) we had to take it in again for a blown head gasket. In addition, I think this was the time that we had to replace some kind of front oil seal. We also had them try to fix the speed gauge that had started acting strange. When the speed gauge acted up so did all the other lights on the dash come on for no reason. They replaced the cable but we soon found out that it didn't help. This was at a cost of $114.58 covered under warranty. At 75,000 (12/3/99) back again for some oil seal around the spark plugs and the changing spark plugs etc. Mostly under warranty at a total cost to me of $134.41. This did not fix the problem so I took it back for more charges of $197.43. I was also told that I needed to replace something in the dash to keep the warranty good so that the tachometer would still work. I told them to get the parts ordered because they told me it would be more than five days to get this done and my warranty only covers a rental for 5 days. I have not heard back from them. Two days ago, I changed the oil and it was leaking from the front seal (or it seems to me). Yesterday the service eng. Light comes on. I will be contacting bob allen Chrysler in danville Monday to see what they will do. My point is that Chrysler needs to help all of us that have problems with the head gasket. One of the service workers told me that they worked on way to many of the Neons for head gaskets. I have also had the electrical problems with the dash and the car seat does not lock into place very well when you adjust it.

- Crab Orchard, KY, USA

Jan 051999

Neon

Problem with a blown engine head gasket causing oil leakages. Dealer notified and informed repairs was not under a mfr. Recall.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jan 071999

Neon

Engine head gasket has failed, leaking large amounts of oil into the posterior part of the engine. Through research have found this is a common problem with the Neon, and at times has resulted in engine fires. This poses a significant safety risk and I am wondering why there has not been a recall. I also feel that Chrysler should be held accountable for this failure and needs to pay for the cost of the repair.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Oct 011999

Neon

We would like to know if there has been any recall problems with the 1996 Dodge Neon due to head gasket problems.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Jan 032000

Neon

I have heard recently that engine head gasket failure is very common with the Dodge Neons as well as other Chrysler cars. I noticed my car was leaking last week sometime, and didn't realize it was coming from teh head gasket. It does not make sense to me that so many of teh Dodge Neons are having this problem if Dodge made a good product. If they know that all of these cars are having this problem and there is rumor of a secret warranty out there if you raise enough fuss, doesn't it seem fair, and lawful that Chrysler should issue a recall on the cars and fix teh head gaskets on their products before further trouble is caused. If I was oblivious to teh leak couldn't I have caused further damage that could have been prevented had Chrysler not cut corners and made a cheap gasket to begin with? is it my fault that when I purchased the car I was not informed that eventually I would have to spend close to a thousand dollars to fix my car because Chrysler didn't feel like making a strong head gasket, and wanted to save a little money. I feel as if I am being screwed here, and I feel that I should be reimbursed. How many people must complain before Chrysler issuses a recall. A recall that is obviously necessary.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Dec 011999

Neon

Engin ehead gasket blew out every 6-8 months/ brake caliper collapsed, and instrument panel dead; no assistance from Dodge.

- Switzerland, FL, USA

Dec 201999

Neon

Defective design of the engine head gasket caused coolant to leak through the valve cover which could spray into the engine compartment, and start a fire. Dealer said head gasket and valve cover needed to be replaced.

- Middleboro, MA, USA

Dec 201999

- Middleboro, MA, USA

Dec 231999

Neon

The following are a list of problems we have had with this car: Air flow knob failed, valve cover gaskets 3X's, head gasket, squeaking brakes, camshaft sensor seal failure, spark plug O-ring, spark plugs and wires, rear suspension came loose, loud exhaust. Show us you can do the people who need your help some good. Get us some answers!!!!!!

- Monrovia, IN, USA

Dec 231999

- Monrovia, IN, USA

Dec 031999

Neon

Premature failure of engine head gasket.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 251999

Neon

After a search on the internet, I found several cars with the same problem... someone suggest a repair under the secret extended warranty from Chrysler... I'm gonna try it... price to replace head gasket: 700 dlls and up.

- Chico, CA, USA

Nov 281999

Neon

Oil is leaking bad from the head gasket... I see that you already got quite some complaints... what about a recall"?" oil leaking is close to the manifold... could cause some fire... recall...

- Chico, CA, USA

Head gasket continually fails causing leakage. Mjs

- Nevada Cit, CA, USA

Oct 021999

Neon

Noticed oil leak due to a blowen out engine head gasket due to poor design. Contacted dealer.

- South Hampton, MA, USA