8.5

Most common solutions:

1. Dodge should issue a recall (362 reports)
  2. replace dash (104 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. order a fitted plastic cover from 1aauto.com for $89 (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

Dec 012013

Ram 1500 360

One owner, garage kept with a little less than 70,000 miles. The dash had a small crack that appeared early last fall. Now it is actually falling apart. Truck is in excellent shape other than this and I have never had any issues. But this is a defect in the material the dash is made of. I probably be looking at Ford/Chevy for my next truck unless Dodge fixes this. Very disappointed.

- , Mt Juliet, TN, USA

Aug 302013

Ram 1500

Fix my dash, it is dangerous. Plastic pieces are sharp and it looks bad.

- , Norristown, PA, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9L Diesel 6

I did not know this was a widespread issue and Dodge should replace the dashboards at no cost to the owners. This is clearly a manufacturing defect.

- , Murrieta, CA, USA

Nov 112008

Ram 1500 Larime 5.9L V8

It’s embarrassing and really takes away from an otherwise nice looking truck. I would be happy if they sold me the dash at their cost and I’ll install it. They wouldn’t even do that. Over $500 to fix what seems to be a material defect. That’s ridiculous.

- , Arden, NC, USA

Aug 102011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

I have owned this truck since new ,always taking care to wash and wax on regular basis. After a visit to dealer for A/C issue I noticed a crack in dash board I went back to dealer and they said they had nothing to do with that . They said all Ram truck dashes from that year are known to do that. I said if its a known issue why doesn't Dodge fix this through warranty ( which I bought Extended Max Care Plus) Their reply was it was a cosmetic issue and interior pieces are not covered. I have a giant hole in my dash board that a Hero sandwich could fall through. THANKS DODGE!!!

- , East Islip, NY, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 V8

Every Dodge Ram I've seen from around this year has a cracked dash. Dodge is aware its an issue but wont do anything about it, SHAME ON YOU DODGE! We've never abused our truck, no off roading either. I believe its a safety issue as well.

- , Eugene, OR, USA

Nov 142012

Ram 1500 Ram 5.9L

Electric seat has never worked. Dash is turning to trash. Never had this problem with any other truck and I have owned over a hundred cars or trucks.

- , King City, OR,, USA

Dec 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.0L V8

The NHSTA needs to recognize this as a safety issue. The cracked debris is sharp and I feel my kids and myself are at risk of flying debris.

- , Columbia, TN, USA

May 292007

Ram 1500 LS 5.9L

dash has totally collapsed in big chucks flying out hitting passengers and driver when hitting bumps or driving with windows down. plus looks like crap.

- , Marshfield, MO, USA

Apr 012005

Ram 1500

The truck still only has 80000 miles on it(original).I bought the truck (used) in 2005 and noticed small cracks starting to appear throughout the dash surface..It has since really gone to absolute ruin.

- , Lebanon, TN, USA

Mar 022007

Ram 1500 5.2L

Turned the fan on and tiny piece of plastic flew into my eye causing me to crash into a parked flatbed truck,bouncing off and over embankment down hill into a tree almost taking out a family of 4 that were having a picnic celebrating their 3 yr olds birthday(now that would of been some wake up call to dodge huh?Stupid SOBs...oops sorry i get angry every time i re-live it) which resulted into lost time at work,stitches in left eye,and over $4000 in damages to my truck.Flatbed unharmed with exception of some grey paint left on rear bumper.

- , Petaluma, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Ram 1500 Laramie 3.7L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

The dashboard was covered for a very long time, but that did not stop the disintegration. This occurred within a few weeks of the initial crack, and followed by a month the dash panel plastic was completely caving in. I had to clean the plastic out. Dodge wants to sell me a new unit at their outrageous prices in several different pieces to replace the one area. This was a defect from factory with the plastic manufacturer, and dodge approving their product should be responsible for replacing it or improving it.

- , Key Largo, FL, USA

Jul 182011

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

Owned the truck, from new, for 10 years without any issues with the dash. However, within a month of noticing the first crack, two chucks have broken off and the dash is littered with cracks.

- , Leola, PA, USA

Jun 012012

Ram 1500

HAVE THIS CRACKED DASH AND CHRYSLER WONT PAY TO FIX IT...

- , Swannanoa, NC, USA

May 152013

Ram 1500 V8

I keep my vehicles clean and in original condition. If is very unsightly to see a big crack in my dashboard. I will do something about it but not sure what at this point. Wife says sell the truck and buy a Ford...

My truck has low mileage ( 54900 ) and has been kept out of the sun most of the time. The damage is not related to being left out in the sun.

- , Vanceboro, NC, USA

Dec 022010

Ram 1500 5.2L

After finding out that the dash plastic crap thing cost $350 for a new part, I took the old one out and fiberglassed it back together. Why they didn't make these things out of fiberglass instead of plastic is anyone's guess. It probably saved the company two bucks on the construction of each one.

- , Glendale, AZ, USA

Jul 072007

Ram 1500 EX 3.2L

Dodge should be sued by the entire population that owns a dodge truck, this should be fixed at no charge to consumers, you can't even get a decent trade in price because of this, sorry company, Obama should step in and demand this be corrected for every dodge truck owner

- , Whitewright, TX, USA

Oct 102009

Ram 1500 3.2L

I tried glueing dash but the glue dripped through the cracks. The cracks keep increasing as time goes on. I did not realize this was such a problem until I started seeing so many other complaints. There really should be a recall by Chrysler as this is potentially a safety issue. I don't think covering the dash with a cover is going to help as the dash keeps deteriorating, and the weight of the cover may contribute to further damage.

Update from Jun 22, 2013: I have had more cracks appear since my original complaint. I glued all cracks again, but this time using Seal-All. It seems to be holding and no new cracks have appeared in the past two months. However, all the glue crisscrossing the dash looks like hell. I have purchased an Ulti-mat cover that I plan on glueing to the dash with rubber cement hoping it'll stabilize the dash and prevent further cracking in addition to improving the appearance a bit. Very frustrating that when I try to sell the pickup, the dash is the first thing a possible buyer will see.

I've been a Mopar guy for decades. I take pride in the appearance of my vehicles. This issue is pure BS! I may not be buying another Dodge/Ram in the future as a result.

- , Victoria, BC, canada

Jan 012001

Ram 1500 V8

NEVER BUY A DODGE AGAIN, GOT !!!!! ONE TIME, NEVER AGAIN, I BOUGHT THIS TRUCK NEW, WILL NEVER BUY A DODGE AGAIN, I WILL NEVER GO THIS DEALER AGAIN...

- , Peoria, AS, USA

Apr 162010

Ram 1500 Sport 1500 Quad Cab 5.2L

Total piece of crap. The whole dash and front part that houses gauges is all cracked and broken into pieces....And as isual like the death wobbleDODGE DOES NOTHING!!!!

- , N.Haben, CT, USA