8.5

Most common solutions:

1. Dodge should issue a recall (363 reports)
  2. replace dash (105 reports)
  4. bought a dash cover (7 reports)
  5. glue it back together (5 reports)
  6. order a fitted plastic cover from 1aauto.com for $89 (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Ram 1500:

Aug 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A CARPET DASH COVER OM MY DASH TO PREVENT DIRECT SUN DAMAGE. THE VEHICLE WAS KEPT GARAGED MOST OF THE TIME WHEN NOT IN USE. THE DASH WENT UNNOTICED UNTIL IT COMPLETELY FELL IN. IT HAS CAUSED SEVERAL ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS ie POWER MIRRORS, DOME LIGHT, GLOVE BOX LIGHT, RADIO NO LONGER WORK. FUSES ALL HAVE BEEN CHECKED AND THERE IS POWER TO THE FUSES. I ALSO GET SEVERAL CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS THAT I HAVE TO RESET. I AM VERY CONCERNED AS TO WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THE AIRBAG IS DEPLOYED WHILE DRIVING DUE TO A SHORT OR IN AN ACCIDENT. I'M SURE THAT THE REMAINING PLASTIC WILL SHATTER. DODGE WILL SELL ME ANOTHER DASH MADE OF THE SAME PLASTIC (nos).

- , Browns Valley, CA, USA

Jan 012004

Ram 1500 LX 5.2V8

My 2001 Dodge truck interior is completely falling part. In my opinion it is due to the inferior material that Dodge employs in manufacturing the product. The dash is falling apart in pieces, and getting worse by the day. Dodge has not accepted responsibility for this defect and refuses to make good on its products. You can expect this problem on all Dodge products - BAD INTERIOR

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jul 072005

Ram 1500 4.2L

This dashboard is has been manufactured wrong. It is all plastic , no quality. I trying to bought one used but all trucks have the same problem.

- , Cudhay, CA, USA

Dec 012013

Ram 1500 360

One owner, garage kept with a little less than 70,000 miles. The dash had a small crack that appeared early last fall. Now it is actually falling apart. Truck is in excellent shape other than this and I have never had any issues. But this is a defect in the material the dash is made of. I probably be looking at Ford/Chevy for my next truck unless Dodge fixes this. Very disappointed.

- , Mt Juliet, TN, USA

Aug 302013

Ram 1500

Fix my dash, it is dangerous. Plastic pieces are sharp and it looks bad.

- , Norristown, PA, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9L Diesel 6

I did not know this was a widespread issue and Dodge should replace the dashboards at no cost to the owners. This is clearly a manufacturing defect.

- , Murrieta, CA, USA

Nov 112008

Ram 1500 Larime 5.9L V8

It’s embarrassing and really takes away from an otherwise nice looking truck. I would be happy if they sold me the dash at their cost and I’ll install it. They wouldn’t even do that. Over $500 to fix what seems to be a material defect. That’s ridiculous.

- , Arden, NC, USA

Aug 102011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Cummins

I have owned this truck since new ,always taking care to wash and wax on regular basis. After a visit to dealer for A/C issue I noticed a crack in dash board I went back to dealer and they said they had nothing to do with that . They said all Ram truck dashes from that year are known to do that. I said if its a known issue why doesn't Dodge fix this through warranty ( which I bought Extended Max Care Plus) Their reply was it was a cosmetic issue and interior pieces are not covered. I have a giant hole in my dash board that a Hero sandwich could fall through. THANKS DODGE!!!

- , East Islip, NY, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 V8

Every Dodge Ram I've seen from around this year has a cracked dash. Dodge is aware its an issue but wont do anything about it, SHAME ON YOU DODGE! We've never abused our truck, no off roading either. I believe its a safety issue as well.

- , Eugene, OR, USA

Nov 142012

Ram 1500 Ram 5.9L

Electric seat has never worked. Dash is turning to trash. Never had this problem with any other truck and I have owned over a hundred cars or trucks.

- , King City, OR,, USA

Dec 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.0L V8

The NHSTA needs to recognize this as a safety issue. The cracked debris is sharp and I feel my kids and myself are at risk of flying debris.

- , Columbia, TN, USA

May 292007

Ram 1500 LS 5.9L

dash has totally collapsed in big chucks flying out hitting passengers and driver when hitting bumps or driving with windows down. plus looks like crap.

- , Marshfield, MO, USA

Apr 012005

Ram 1500

The truck still only has 80000 miles on it(original).I bought the truck (used) in 2005 and noticed small cracks starting to appear throughout the dash surface..It has since really gone to absolute ruin.

- , Lebanon, TN, USA

Mar 022007

Ram 1500 5.2L

Turned the fan on and tiny piece of plastic flew into my eye causing me to crash into a parked flatbed truck,bouncing off and over embankment down hill into a tree almost taking out a family of 4 that were having a picnic celebrating their 3 yr olds birthday(now that would of been some wake up call to dodge huh?Stupid SOBs...oops sorry i get angry every time i re-live it) which resulted into lost time at work,stitches in left eye,and over $4000 in damages to my truck.Flatbed unharmed with exception of some grey paint left on rear bumper.

- , Petaluma, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Ram 1500 Laramie 3.7L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

The dashboard was covered for a very long time, but that did not stop the disintegration. This occurred within a few weeks of the initial crack, and followed by a month the dash panel plastic was completely caving in. I had to clean the plastic out. Dodge wants to sell me a new unit at their outrageous prices in several different pieces to replace the one area. This was a defect from factory with the plastic manufacturer, and dodge approving their product should be responsible for replacing it or improving it.

- , Key Largo, FL, USA

Jul 182011

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

Owned the truck, from new, for 10 years without any issues with the dash. However, within a month of noticing the first crack, two chucks have broken off and the dash is littered with cracks.

- , Leola, PA, USA

Jun 012012

Ram 1500

HAVE THIS CRACKED DASH AND CHRYSLER WONT PAY TO FIX IT...

- , Swannanoa, NC, USA

May 152013

Ram 1500 V8

I keep my vehicles clean and in original condition. If is very unsightly to see a big crack in my dashboard. I will do something about it but not sure what at this point. Wife says sell the truck and buy a Ford...

My truck has low mileage ( 54900 ) and has been kept out of the sun most of the time. The damage is not related to being left out in the sun.

- , Vanceboro, NC, USA

Dec 022010

Ram 1500 5.2L

After finding out that the dash plastic crap thing cost $350 for a new part, I took the old one out and fiberglassed it back together. Why they didn't make these things out of fiberglass instead of plastic is anyone's guess. It probably saved the company two bucks on the construction of each one.

- , Glendale, AZ, USA

Jul 072007

Ram 1500 EX 3.2L

Dodge should be sued by the entire population that owns a dodge truck, this should be fixed at no charge to consumers, you can't even get a decent trade in price because of this, sorry company, Obama should step in and demand this be corrected for every dodge truck owner

- , Whitewright, TX, USA