7.9

Most common solutions:

1. enough complaints to dodge will get a recall-1-800-992-1997 (225 reports)
  2. replace dashboard (124 reports)
  4. replace dash (15 reports)
  5. band together class action suit- imply fit/merchantability (13 reports)
  6. call 1-866-726-4636 (Dodge) & 1-888-327-4236 (NHTSA) (13 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Ram 1500:

May 262017

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

I just bought my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4. It is in descent shape for it's age. It has some Bondo over the rear wheels. The 2 issues I have with the truck are these...the dash is cracked in several places. I spoke to one used car dealer and he said it is an ongoing issue with the Dodge trucks because they designed the cabs to be so tight that when the dash expands and contracts it cracks. There is a used car lot in French Lick, IN (French Lick Auto) that keeps these in stock because they are such an issue. I will probably get one in the near future. The second issue I have is the day after I bought the truck, there came a ticking noise from the motor. One person said it is not the lifters because it is in the lower part of the motor instead of the top. Any clue as to what this could be?

- , French Lick, US

Jul 062015

Ram 1500 LT V8

Dodge should issue an official Recall for the defective plastic in the dashboard - hundreds of complaints regarding this issue.

- , Hilham, TN, US

Mar 242009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

The dash board is cracked in different places & the vent holes are broke out.

- , Warfordsburg, US

May 052011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Little to add to this terrible problem that Dodge has left us with. No reason for them to back away from an obvious material defect.

- , Montgomery, US

May 012017

Ram 1500 XLT 5.7L

I liked dodge rams until I started having problem with mine. First, this May I got a crack in my dash near the windshield and then a few weeks later another crack right over the flat part off the dash near the glove compartment. Dodge should have a recall but they don't care. I will never buy another dodge ram ever again. Total junk!

- , Hamden, US

Jul 012014

Ram 1500

Typical big company honoring their commitment to the customer.

- , New Port Richey, FL, US

Aug 072008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

The dash, made out of thin, UV absorbing, dime-thin black plastic, cracked within the first 2 years of me owning the vehicle. I meticulously cleaned and applied UV protectant on the dash but during the summer, the heat and persistent sun cracked the dash while the vehicle was parked in my driveway. It has been cracked ever since and has decayed over the years to the point where plastic parts have fallen down into my air vents. Now I have rattling and crackling when I turn on my AC. I find pieces almost monthly that crack into diamond or triangle shapes that could easily injure a person in a wreck. Please fix this problem with a proper recall of the product because it is the only humane fix for the problem.

- , Killeen, US

Mar 272017

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This problem has been going on for some time. First it started to crack and then small pieces began to break off. I bought a dashboard cover to hide the cracks and holes, all the while thinking the problem was the sun. Recently the air-conditioning stopped working and I took it to my mechanic. He called me and said the problem was the evaporator core which is under the dash and would be about $1,100.00 to repair. I told him

ok. Later that same day he called me and said there was a problem, when they began to take off the dash, it broke apart and looks like a jig-saw puzzle. I said it didn't matter, I had the dash cover. He said the problem was that the passenger air bag is supported by the dash that had broken up. He said he would try to come up with something to support this air bag. He finally called me a week later and said they were able to get the air bag supported and I could pick up the vehicle. It cost me an extra $400.00 dollars. When I was checking on-line for a new dash I came across the info that this problem is not the sun as I had thought but inferior plastics and/or workmanship in the original assembly. The info also stated that the NTSB considers this a cosmetic problem and not a danger. I guess the NTSB does not know that the passenger air bag is supported by the dash and if the dash crumbles the air bag is out of it's original position and might not operate properly in an accident. I consider this dangerous not cosmetic.

- , Wilmington, US

Feb 092012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

My dashboard has been cracking for years now and keep using black silicon to hold it together...already replaced the back vent piece twice and now looks like I will soon have to replace the front half. This is crap and looks like it is going to be a royal pain in the ass to do. This shouldn't be happening to something you're spending over 30,000.00 TO BUY

- , York, SC, USA

Oct 062014

cracked dashboard

This is such a easy fix for the manufacture ,own up to your blunder fix the problem maybe you will have repeat costumer . No response to me would move on to a competitor. Your move.

- , Bristol, VA, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500

A simple case of inferior non UV resistant plastic material used to manufacture this part. I have a plastic soft water conditioner salt bin that has sat in the sun now for over 45 years and STILL has not cracked. The technology and chemicals have existed for that long to allow plastic to hold up in the sun. It just cost a fewpennies more per pound to make plastic UV resistant..Chrysler or the supplier that made the dash for Chrysler cheaped out on the raw materials to make the dash and now 10's of thousands of Dodge customers pay the the price for Chrysler not making sure the product was designed and produced properly. Over all the truck has been a good truck but this is BS, it is clear it is not an isolated problem and they should own up to it and at least off a skin replacement.

- , COVINA, CA, USA

May 092014

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This is a problem that all dodge customers have and dodge will not help us. Mine is cracked all around the passenger side air bag and i have recall on it now.

- , N. Richland Hills, TX, USA

Jan 012012

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7

The dashboard has begun cracking apart since about 2012.

- , Blue River, OR, USA

Mar 242005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L Hemi

As much as a new vehicle costs these days (of which this one was) it is really sad that the workmanship is this poor on them.

- , Rocky Face, GA, USA

Aug 152015

Ram 1500 SLT 5.8L Hemi

The dashboard has single crack in it. I received a recall to replace the air bag. the dealer will not replace the air bag without fixing the dashboard. This is no longer a "COSMETIC" issue.

- , Jackson, NJ, USA

Nov 182013

Ram 1500 3.7L

I feel that the material used for the dash is substandard. should be replaced by the manufacturer. This is unacceptable.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Apr 132010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Am needing to replace the evaporator core in my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. To do so I will need to remove my entire dash, which is in shambles. Afraid that should I remove the dash to replace the evaporator core my dash will shatter into a million pieces and I'm left with an instrument cluster duct taped to my steering column. So, am going t have to live without A/C...in South Florida...thanks Dodge!!!!

- , Naples, FL, USA

Jan 152014

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8 Hemi

cracked dashboard

I am the 2nd owner of this 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. It has been a wonderful vehicle for me over the past 10 years with very minimal problems. In January 2014, I drove over a speed bump and while doing so, I heard a "pop" sound from the dash area. I didn't think anything of it at the time. The next day, I noticed a crack in the main dash area that extended from the front to the seam (3/4 back to the windshield). Over the past 2 years, as you see in the photos, the cracking has continued and become worse to the point large sections broke off and fallen down into the dash. One piece had jammed an a/c blending door actuator, which I was able to pry out and fix the door. My concern is, if I am unfortunate enough to be involved in a collision, where are those razor sharp shards of plastic going to hit when the passenger airbag deploys? I no longer allow my grandchild to ride in this vehicle due to the dash cracks. If an area of the dash is pressed on, a large section just breaks off as if the plastic is the consistency of a cracker. Dodge created this dash and has put my safety and the safety of all other owner at risk. This should be on a priority list for a recall. I've owned vehicles from other makers older than this one and have never had an issue with plastic dash boards cracking.

- , Marana, AZ, USA

Jun 012005

Ram 1500 SLT

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Bought this vehicle brand new after retirement from US Army with expectations of keeping the truck for long term. Within a couple of years I noticed a small stress fracture which over time has produced a cracked dash board that rattles when you drive and sore for the eyes to look at. I am very disappointed in Dodge and hope that Dodge will do the right thing for the consumers who have experienced the same problem. Replace dashboard at no cost to consumer NOW! At this time I would not buy another dodge product or recommend to my friends to buy one. Dodge, stand by your product and change my feelings.

- , Lincolnton, GA, USA

Jan 012007

Ram 1500 4.8L

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Looking terrible is the lease of my problems;

I'm having Electrical issues with my turning signals and Brake lights going out a few times per years also i keep getting a dash indicator showing "light out "then goes away. I'm worry because i gave the truck to my youngest son years ago and i'm always having to remind him to be careful. If i could afford a new truck i would buy it for him but, it WON'T ever be a DODGE or Ram vehicle.

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA