1.6

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Ram 1500:

Dec 142014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Ram 1500. The contact stated that while attempting to refuel, the fuel failed to properly dispense into the tank. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000. Updated 3/13/15 updated 9/18/2017

- Barberton , OH, USA

Dec 292014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Just like everyone else who owns a Dodge, I went to fuel up the truck and it went all over the ground rather than in the tank...took it to the dealer...check valve bad...need new tank....never buy Dodge again..

- Levittown, PA, USA

Nov 142014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

While filling tank fuel kicks back shutting off pump handle. Apparent orvr valve problem requiring entire fuel tank replacement. Seems to be fairly common problem on Dodge trucks.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Sep 132007

Ram 1500 8-cyl

After filling gas tank full, engine dies when braking and turning a corner (losing steering) and coming to a stop. Starts back up fine, but stalls again on next low speed braking or turning a corner. Very similar to other accounts that I have read. I've had new plugs and O2 sensors costing mucho for zero result. When this occurs slowing down to make a slow turn, I have to throw it up to neutral to restart. Once I threw it in park going slowly, but it was dangerous to screech to a halt with a car behind me almost rear ended me. I've been told the same crap by dealers about this and I know they are playing dumb. The only remedy that I use for this is similar to others which is just don't fill it all the way up unless you are getting right out on the highway to run those speeds and not be stopping. I can't let others drive my truck unless I make sure that the tank is below three quarters of a tank. I can't believe that there's not a quick and dirty fix for this. Seems like you should disable emissions devices in the interest of safety.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Ram 1500

I have two issues which I believe are related. The anti rollover valve in the fuel tank is sticking preventing fuel from entering the tank properly and bubbling back up the filler tube. This happens whenever you attempt to put in fuel and has resulted in multiple fuel spills. The second issue is after a fill up the truck may stall 4-5 times while at idle at stop lights or even while rolling resulting in loss of power steering, power brakes and no advanced warning. Both issues have multiple occurrences. I repaired my fuel tank by adding an auxiliary anti-rollover valve and plumbing it into the existing evap connections. This after the dealer refused to warranty the tank even though some models have been recalled and this does have a bulletin published.

- Portage, IN, USA

Mar 272013

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while refueling, the shut-off valve engaged before the fuel tank was filled to capacity. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the fuel tank would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Ames, IA, USA

Mar 202013

Ram 1500

Dodge 1500 stalls at slowing down. Same problem as reported in multiple postings here. Very dangerous situation.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Oct 262012

Ram 1500

While driving my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 while turning at approx 5 miles per hour the car stalled out this has now happened on various occasions. There is no code and several repair shops don T have a clue what to fix and just want to start replacing parts.

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Dec 292012

Ram 1500

Attempted to fill my gas tank. The fuel kept overflowing. I was only able to get $15 in gas as I had to slowly pump, wait for the overflow of gas to stop, then slowly attempt to add more gasoline. This took almost 15 minutes. The only reason I kept trying to get more gas in was the truck was on empty. In reviewing other similar complaints online, regarding this issue and with this vehicle, the symptoms are that of a faulty onboard refueling recovery valve. This problem creates many hazards with fuel and vapors not being contained.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Apr 062012

Ram 1500

I bought an 04 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi that had around 80K miles on it when I bought it in Oct 2010. It was awesome the first and a half I had it, only minor repairs I.e battery, idler pulley, ignition switch. I did regular maintenance on it as well as oil changes. In late March 2012 I went to put gas in my truck and it would not let me put more than 10 or 15 cents in before it would "back fill" I was trying to figure out what the problem could be with that, then in early April 2012 I was driving home after running some errands, the truck had run great all day just like normal, but about 8 miles from house I hear this "thunk" and I have no power and I had this awful shaking and rattling noise. There were not even any warning lights telling we that there was something wrong, I called someone to tow it home that night. I did thankfully have another car to drive. In the months since I have been slowly tearing the engine apart with my dad, this week we finally pulled the heads and discovered that my # 6 piston was completely disintegrated and had punched a hole in my block! my original thought was that this was just a random fluke and it was just mine, but after reading on some Dodge forums I see that it was not just mine! this is ridiculous for an engine that has no more miles than this and had been properly maintained. My parents have a 1999 Ford F150 that has almost 300K on it and has not been maintained nearly as well... as my dad puts it "it has been run hard and put up wet" this engine has run like a champ! it even still has the original battery in it! there are many more reports of this happening to this engine both in the durango with that year hemi as well as the Ram on this forum townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F1dd4B2/270.

- Drexel, MO, USA

Oct 012011

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a strong fuel odor. The contact replaced the spark plugs and noticed that the vehicle fuel tank leaked fuel when it was full. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The failure and current mileage was 40,000.

- Laquinta , CA, USA