Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

Jan 182016

Ram 1500

On 1/18/16 at 1330 hrs, while driving to work I heard a faint whistle upon deceleration. When I was driving home at 0030 hrs, the faint whistle grew louder and louder. All of a sudden, there was a loud bang and the rear of my truck locked up. I was only traveling 35mph and lucky enough to maintain minimal control enough to pull off mostly on the shoulder of the road. The local pd called for their duty tow to tow my vehicle as the drive-shaft was sitting on the road hanging from the transmission. Called the dealership after speaking with Chrysler, who took my the info on my situation, and they stated that they could not "get my vehicle in for 2days at least." After explaining again to the local Chrysler dealership that the driveshaft was on the ground between the rear tires- which are locked up, he stated "so you don't think you can drive the vehicle in-will it have to be towed?" luckly, I was traveling on a straight stretch of road and only going 35mph!!! had this happened on another part of the road and the outcome would have been my children visiting in the hospital - or worse!

- Warminster, PA, USA

Nov 142015

Ram 1500

This vehicle is listed in the buyback program due to rear axle pinion nut defect. Was offered blackbook value to trade and low blue book trade value for buyback. Vehicle exceeds all condition requirements. Chrysler has demanded to know my debt value before appraisal. Fca is stalling and trying to capitalize a profit margin on my truck. Dealer used pressure tactics for process, stated process would take extended period of time and I should trade it in or let them repair. Have received 2 trade offers for wholesale value, from 2 different fca dealers. The rear axle has now locked up once while backing out of a parking space at my workplace, 1800 North fruitridge ave, terre haute, ind. I was able to get unseized and home. Unable to drive due to safety issue. Fca stated they required 3rd party appraisal but will not proceed until I release my debt value and account number to them. This is an outrage! I expect they will de-value my truck as to be less than I owe, thereby making a buyback impossible and forcing me to let them repair half of the issues with this truck! I will be losing about $8K from retail value. $ which they are trying to profit from selling a defective product. Is this what you are allowing" I don't think so. In addition to rear axle, there was a blend door actuator recall which they claim is resolved. It is not! the truck's heating system does not work. The buyback offer given was for $19025 plus $1903 for 10% repurchase, for a total of $20928, but pending appraisal with debt value release. This corporation is manipulating the process to increase their profits while releasing them of liability. What are you, as the overseeing governmental Agency going to do about this" I want my $ returned fairly. I will lose $10K even with a retail buyback. I cannot lose $18K for a manipulated, scam of a deal!! this a follow up to a previous complaint.

- Reelsville, IN, USA

Apr 212015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that vehicle was placed into neutral and the vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be duplicated. The failure occurred intermittently. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000. The VIN was not available.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Oct 202015

Ram 1500

I took my truck to get serviced at burns motors Dodge dealership in mcallen, tx and told them about the recall due to faulty rear axle pinion nut (N08/NHTSA). They told me it had already been fixed. I said by who cause I never took the truck to anyone and I've had it for 5 years. They said a business named kelley Dodge fixed it. I never took it to anyone to fix the problem so why are they saying it was fixed. Is someone trying to cover up something or charging for work that was never done? so burns motors didn't fix the recall problem either.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Oct 272015

Ram 1500

Vehicle was part of the pinion recall and was repaired 11/15/2013. Recently the driving of the truck caused noise and obvious differential issue. The entire gear kit and differntial need to be replaced due to it being stripped. Out of pocked $3000. Recall stated since the pinion was replaced it is up to us to fix. The differential recall "did not impact" this vehicle yet I suspect it should. The Dodge hotline states that at this time there is no recall on this specific VIN number thus it is nothing they will act on. I suspect the are linked thus expect there will be another recall for these within this lot number. Too coincidential that only some and not all are part of this recall.

- Helotes, TX, USA

Oct 012015

Ram 1500

Fca only offering trade in value on there byback program even though I was assured I would get minimum fair market value.I have got nothing but a run around since I sent all documents they requested on Oct.1.now they have closed my claim because I wont accect their foolish offer.the dealers are completely stupid as what to do and either lie or act as if they know nothing about the buyback. I have owned 4 Ram 1500 trucks and this is a slap in the face to all consumers. At what point will these manufactures be held responsiable? we spend rediculis money on vehicles only to find they are worthless after we buy them. Got to stop soon..... david thomson thomsondft@aol.com......................

- Hill, NH, USA

Oct 172015

Ram 1500

When exiting off the freeway in mesa AZ on a short comute from work at a speed of <40mph, the truck made a werring noise coasting and a heavy vibration comming from the rear end. We stopped immediatly to investigate and there was gear oil dripping from the rear differential. After a tow and inspection from sunland auto in mesa, they said something came loose inside the rear differential housing causing damage to the ring & pinion as well as the housing. After an exhausting search for a replacement, they said Dodge had discontinued the assembly and they had to find a used one. This cost us $3000 in parts and labor on a beautiful truck that never even pulled a trailer. Unfortunatly it had just rolled over 1000000 miles so Dodge would not warranty the failure.

- Gold Canyon, AZ, USA

Oct 092015

Ram 1500

At 12K -13K miles I experienced an engine stall in the early morning. The instrument cluster remained lit and I was able to engage the emergency flasher. I was on a back road and luckily I was able to coast into a driveway. After numerous turns of the key fob, the engine started. This incident was reported to the dealership, but they seemed to shrug it off. Fast forward to 10/9/15. I had trouble again starting the truck. I proceeded to the store and was on a main thoroughfare when I started to turn across traffic into a parking lot.the engine died and luckily my momentum carried me off the street out of traffic and into the lot. Cars had to go around me as I tried to get the vehicle started. The next Monday 10/12/15 I had trouble starting again and I was able to proceed to work. At the end of my shift, it took a couple dozen turns of the key fob to get the truck started and I made it home. The truck now sits in the driveway waiting for a service appointment on 10/30/15. If it does not start, it will have to be towed. When I inquired online about this problem I was aghast at how many others were having the same issue as me and Chrysler was doing very little to make it right. The stall of an engine in traffic is a very dangerous safety problem. The truck has a battery less than 2 years old and has only 35200 miles on it. I am not getting any check engine lights. It is serviced routinely by the Chrysler dealer.

- Everett, WA, USA

Sep 192009

Ram 1500

Truck has left me stranded multiple times by completely losing power electrical and engine. Dealer claims to have "replaced" computer but Chrysler Corp confirms dealer just "reflashed" computer. Multiple recalls have occurred and truck was brought into dealer but I know the old parts remain in place! I cannot trust this dealer to do anything they claim to do, proven by comparing the written work order with the records at chysler corporate. We are afraid to drive this vehicle, my wife will not step foot on it and as I am an amputee every time I get stranded(3 times so far) I cannot walk to get help. So I am at the mercy of available cell phone signal or just pray. The dealer had continually stalled us on repairing these problems up until the warranty ran out and then all of a sudden they figured out the "actual" problem and could now fix it for a few thousand!! dollars. Please help us- we have been fighting for some kind of justice for 6 years! truck has only 24000 total, actual scary miles on it. Paid cash of approx $50,000 and are so hurt and disgusted with our purchase but most outraged by the treatment and lack of normal human concern for our safety or our lives for that matter. Last remark from dealer owner to us: "not my problem tough S..T" this vehicle should become chryslet corps problem and we want the timely return of our money asap please please please. This is a nightmare and has caused us both serious health issues

- Staugustine, FL, USA

Jun 132015

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle was purchased in mid June of 2015. The dealer indicated that there were no safety recalls on the vehicle that needed to be repaired. The contact called the manufacturer who stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train) since April 1, 2013. The dealer and the manufacturer did not specify if the parts and the remedy were available. The contact did not receive notification of the safety recall. The contact was unable to determine when the recall repair would be completed. The manufacturer was notified of the recall repair, which was not completed within a reasonable time frame before the vehicle was sold to the contact. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 03/09/16. Consumer states to date (2/26/16) the vehicle has shut down at least 6 more times. Updated 5/18/18

- Nanticoke, PA, USA

Aug 042015

Ram 1500

On August 4 2015 I was driving to work doing about 20-25 mph on a clear sunny day when my truck started shaking causing me to lose control. As a result my truck was hit on the back right rear. After looking at the car at the body shop I was notified that the axel snapped in half. The vehicle is a 2010 Dodge Ram pickup 1500

- Millwood, NY, USA

Apr 012013

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Opelika, AL, USA

Jun 012015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. When shifting into reverse, the vehicle would abnormally jerk and skip. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a routine oil change. The contact later discovered that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train). The contact called the dealer and was informed that the recall repair had already been performed during the oil change service. The contact never received notification of the recall and was not aware that a defect ever existed in the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted intermittently. The failure mileage was 200.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 252015

Ram 1500

As I was leaving from a stop sign, I heard a loud noise then lost power and control of my truck. I was stranded in the middle of a busy intersection for 1 1/2 hours. The rear pinion broke and my rear drive shaft broke. A piece was sheared off and my rear end gears are shot. There was recall work done on the pinion seal but that apparently didn't fix the problem. The rear end was completely siezed up. I'm positive when I call the dealership they are gonna tell me this is not a result of the recall and I will have to pay for the repairs. I've had nothing but problems with this truck for the last 3 1/2 years I've had the thing. I will never again own a Dodge product. My kids we're in the truck with me when this happened. I thank god I wasn't on a highway when this happened. It could've been a lot worse. I certainly hope Dodge looks into this and fixes the problem before someone is killed.

- Kane, PA, USA

Feb 022015

Ram 1500

My gear shift will come out of park with out using the brake and when the vehicle is not running it will come out of gear my local Dodge dealership said it was the gear shifter interlock which several people has been having issues with.

- Beverly, WV, USA

Sep 022015

Ram 1500

I have a recall #12V-474 on my 2009 Dodge Ram that states, " the rear axle pinion nut may have been built without an adhesive patch on the pinion nut threads. The lack of this adhesive patch could allow the rear axle pinion nut to loosen and/or the rear driveshaft to separate from the rear axle. A loose pinion nut could cause the rear axle to seize and a separated driveshaft could cause a loss of motive power. Either situation could cause a crash without warning". the Chrysler recall assistance center told me that I do not qualify for the buyback program because my recall number does not match any listed in the consent order issued by the NHTSA. However, there is a recall # 13V-038 on the consent order that states, "Chrysler announced a recall of 278,229 vehicles on February 6, 2013, to correct a defect that may cause the axle to lock. As a result, the driver may lose steering power and crash." My complaint is that these are two recalls on the same deficiency. One is listed in the consent order and the other (conveniently for them) is not. I believe that I should qualify for the buyback program. The company is simply trying to dismiss my recall to avoid adding my vehicle to the countless thousands of other claims of which they are obligated to buy back.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Nov 222012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train). The recall repair was performed; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Gurnee, IL, USA

May 012015

Ram 1500

When slowly accelerating from a stop I could hear a rattling/vibration sound coming from the passenger side of vehicle. This progressively got worse until I found the heat shield on the passenger side exhaust manifold was loose due to broken stud bolts. I did not repair immediately as I thought the break was superficial (outside the manifold). Over the next month a slight exhaust leak could be heard, which has gotten very loud now. There is clearly at least one broken exhaust manifold bolt on passenger side. I am second owner (purchased at 19,000 miles), so lifetime warranty is no longer valid. I fear this leak could cause poisonous carbon monoxide gas to fill the cabin of my truck while driving with my wife and children. With the number of complaints regarding this exact same issue that I have heard, I cannot believe this has not reached recall status.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Feb 062013

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 09V158000 (equipment) and 13V038000 (power train); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 11/04/15

- Ulster, PA, USA

Apr 012014

Ram 1500

The rear axle pinion nut on my truck is recalled causing major safety issue. Chrysler is refusing to do anything other than telling people to wait and they are ok to continue to drive the vehicle until it breaks. This is my only vehicle, and I need a safe vehicle for my family and me to be in. You're putting our lives, and everyone elses at risk is 100%irresponsible of me and Chrysler. Please help us consumers. My light came on service 4 wheel drive, esp traction control, I purchased an extended warranty which is what saved me, I am having electrical problems with the headlights, first the drivers side and now the passager side. I have called Dodge dealer several times to schedule the service for the replacement. They do not have the part or don't know when the part will be there.

- Cleveland, OH, USA