Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

May 152019

Ram 1500

Engine ticking - faulty manifold bolts

- Purvis, MS, USA

Mar 182019

Ram 1500

I own a 2009 Dodge Ram, VIN #1D3hb13T29J525293, that is covered by recall 13V-038. Dodge/fca and it's agent stericycle refuse to comply with the terms of the recall. On March 18, 2019, after calling the recall number for 3 ½ weeks, jasmine Washington with stericycle called to offer me $8,560 for my Dodge Ram 1500. That number is of course not the purchase price I paid but is the only offer jasmine would make. I reluctantly agreed and sent her the information she requested. Unfortunately on March 28th while I was driving to del rio, tx from my home in san angelo, tx the defect occurred and the drive train detached from my rear axle. My truck was stranded in sonora, tx. I immediately informed jasmine of the situation and asked for her guidance. She has refused to respond to my phone calls and emails until May 9th when she emailed me that I would be reimbursed for towing. She refuses to respond to my requests for the process to submit my towing expenses or provide any information on when the buyback will occur. I don¿T know how to make a company comply with a recall. I have had to borrow vehicles to get to work. I have had to rent vehicles for work. I have exhausted my resources. I find it hard to believe that I am the only consumer being harmed by Dodge/fca's refusal to comply.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Jan 312019

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 17V821000 (power train). The vehicle was taken to lone star Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (1309 S pacific St, mineola, tx 75773, 903-569-8600) and the power train was repaired, but the check engine indicator was illuminated. The dealer stated that they could not repair the vehicle and that the ABS modulator failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that they could repair the failure, which should have been completed with the recall repairs. The contact suspected the recall repairs were rushed and not completely properly. The failure mileage was 136,000.

- Hawkins, TX, USA

Aug 252017

Ram 1500

I have attempted to get my truck fixed under recall 7 times since they came out. I have been repeatedly been told the parts are backordered and my vehicle can't be fixed. I contacted fca and they told me there was nothing they could do except make another appointment?

- Nixa, MO, USA

Nov 292018

Ram 1500

Dodge Ram 1500 crew cab, V6 engine. Dial gear shifter goes out of park while stopped and placed in park. Will move forward. I was stopped(stationary), vehicle was in park. On a highway and the vehicle moved forward, the striking vehicle in front. Police report completed, case #18-101657

- Leamington, MI, USA

Dec 072018

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 17V821000 (power train) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The contact received the recall notification in December of 2017. The dealer (dicks country Chrysler Jeep Dodge, 767 sw baseline St, hillsboro, or) stated that the parts for the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer was also contacted and confirmed that parts were unavailable. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Tillamook, OR, USA

Jan 292018

Ram 1500

2009 Dodge Ram 1500. Consumer writes in regards to brake transmission shift interlock safety recall. The consumer stated the parts to repair the vehicle were not yet available.

- Towson, MD, USA

Sep 042018

Ram 1500

I noticed that when breaking at a red light or during high traffic areas, my truck looses complete power. I cannot turn the steering wheel and the engine shuts down. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to worry about not being able to steer away from traffic. I don't know if there is a recall for this issue, but I will certainly will like to get some information about this issue.

- Rosenberg, TX, USA

Dec 252017

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 17V821000 (power train) and stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to repair the vehicle. The dealer (southern Maine motors Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, 824 portland road route 1, saco, Maine 04072) confirmed that parts were not available to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Lyman, ME, USA

Dec 202017

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 17V821000 (power train) and 18V160000 (fuel system, gasoline). The contact called Dodge of burnsville at 952-894-9000 (located at 12101 hwy 35W South, burnsville, mn 55337) and was informed that the parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue and was not able to confirm when the parts were to become available. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Savage, MN, USA

Mar 162018

Ram 1500

While making a right turn into a driveway my front left wheel flange separated from the wheel bearing causing the wheel to come off. The truck is a two wheel drive however Dodge uses the same unit wheel bearing as on a four wheel drive truck. Two wheel drive trucks do not have a cv axle shaft through the bearing and so if the wheel flange separates there is nothing to hold the unit bearing together. To dramatize the issue the same thing happened on my same truck a year previous under near identical circumstances. The first time I think part defect, the second time I think design defect. Ironically I had just exited the freeway onto secondary road and was making slow speed turns when the failure occurred. I want to emphasize the whhel bearing did not fail. The flange with the lug studs for the wheel separated from the bearing. Two times, opposite sides on the same truck.

- Dayton, MN, USA

Mar 192018

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the rear of the vehicle made an abnormal noise. First Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram (280 E Washington St, North attleborough, MA) stated that the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train); therefore, any additional damages would be at the contact's expense. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 130,000.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Feb 032018

Will not go out of 4th gear. Only has 117,000 miles

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Dec 202017

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 17V821000 (power train); however, the parts to do the repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact called richardson Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram at (214) 329-0862 (located on 1321 N central expy, richardson, tx 75080) where it was confirmed that the parts were not available for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was notified and was not able to confirm when the parts were to become available. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Garland, TX, USA

Dec 152017

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to smith haven automotive (827 jericho turnpike, St. James, NY 11780) where it was diagnosed that the pinion bearing needed to be replaced and was unable to determine if the failure was due to the recall. In addition, the pinion nut was loose and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train). The approximate failure mileage was 124,000.

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Sep 012017

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving between 25-75 mph, there was a noise emitting from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to South county Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (7127 S lindbergh blvd, St. Louis, mo 63125, (314) 487-1010) where it was diagnosed that the pinion nut needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 13V038000 (power train); however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was not available.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 292017

Ram 1500

This vehicle rear differential locked up unexpectedly while driving on 8/29/17 breaking the rear differential and driveline. Our shop pulled the cover off to inspect the damage to determine the repairs that would be needed. At that time we discovered that the vehicle had been under a recall or buyback since 2/2013. We were never notified of the recall and neither was the prior owner. The vehicle had been to a Dodge dealer for service in 9/2013 and was not notified of a recall. It was also transferred at ca dmv over 1 year after the recall without any recall notification coming up. I have taken to Dodge dealership who is refusing to fix the vehicle without charging me for the work. They state that they dont know if the recalled item caused the problem. Its very obvious to anyone that the problem of the pinion nut backing off caused this problem

- Reedley, CA, USA

May 162017

Ram 1500 8-cyl

The vehicle was parked in my drive way. I was in the house with the keys in my pocket. I instructed my children to get in the truck. As they climbed in, one child lost her balance and hit the gear shift. The gear shift interlock failed, allowing the vehicle to change gears from park to neutral. The truck then proceeded to roll down my driveway, with two of my kids in the cab, and my third child hanging on the door being drug across the ground. Fortunately, no one was injured, but my truck plowed through my ditch, destroyed my mailbox causing $7,800 damage to the truck. I contacted Chrysler, who performed a special investigation. However, even though they concluded the gear shift interlock did indeed fail, they refused responsibility stating that "maintenance and repairs are the responsibility of the owner." I did not know that the shift interlock was failed. In fact, the engineer that did the investigation stated that it exhibited intermittent failure. So there was no way for me to know it was failed until I experienced a failure. After my truck rolled down the driveway, I realized something had failed. Furthermore, the owner's manual does not specify any recommended maintenance for the shift interlock. At the time of the incident, the vehicle was parked, but the parking brake was not set.....updated 06/21/17

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Jun 072017

Ram 1500

While driving there was an extremely loud grinding noise coming from the rear end. I went to an auto shop and after assessing the issue, it was determined that the pinion was bad and there was a chunk of metal broke off in the rear differential. Repairs cost over 1600$.

- Gobles, MI, USA

May 072017

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving 25 mph, the rear of the vehicle seized without warning. The contact stated that the transfer case and drive line fractured when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the local dealer (butte's mile high Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram Kia 3883 harrison avenue butte, mt 59701) where it was diagnosed that the pinion nut failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that they would repair the vehicle per NHTSA campaign number: 12V474000 (power train). The contact would be responsible for the other damaged parts. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 83,000. The VIN was not available.

- Butte, MT, USA