2.2

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

Apr 262016

Ram 1500

2009 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7 hemi, 74000 miles. Developed ticking in the engine at idle and acceleration. Within a couple days engine light came on with shuddering under small load (up hill highway). Took to the local dealership that day. They discovered that the roller lifter failed (seized) and ground the cam lobe flat causing the misfire in one of the cylinders. $4300 repair bill! this is very common in the 5.7 hemi and not just the Ram, so common in fact that the dealership called and said the repair is on hold because the lifters are on backorder! google "failed 5.7 hemi lifters"... some vehicles don't make it 25000 miles before this happens. Chrysler has since changed the part number of the lifter because they know there was a defect or design flaw. But when you ask for assistance with the repairs they don't acknowledge there is a problem. This issue needs to be investigated, there are too many of them out there.

- Oak Grove, MO, USA

Apr 302016

Ram 1500

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 hemi, my issue is concerning "the hemi tick" which is actually broken exhaust manifold head bolts. Seems like everybody that has this year model has the exact same problem. I have 2 broke bolts on the passenger side. The bolts happen to be the same bolts holding on the exhaust manifold shield in the rear of the motor. The cost to fix the issue is moderately expensive and if not addressed could easily cause more serious issues. The exhaust leak can be identified by the ticking sound (usually at start up until motor warms up and seals the leak) and should be replaced with stronger bolts that allow for the temperature changes.

- Dayton, TX, USA

Apr 292016

Ram 1500

For the past month now my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi has stalled out on me 4 times. It has happened both while shifting from reverse to drive, slowing down to stop at a stop sign, and just sitting in drive in a parking garage lot. Truck has 142000 miles on it but this stalling issue has happened before around 30K. I can put the truck back in neutral or park and start it back up but there's a knock every time now. It is starting to worry me that the truck may stall out on the freeway. I do notice that it occurs whenever the RPM get low around 500-700 RPM. The truck then bogs down and stalls whenever I shift from reverse to drive on the few occasions that it happened. When I was pulling into a parking spot or slowing down to stop at a stop sign I also noticed the RPM drop to stall the truck.

- Denair, CA, USA

Mar 302016

Ram 1500

Failed timing chain..... causing catastrophic failure to engine.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Mar 022016

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. When the vehicle was started, a ticking noise was heard from the exhaust manifold. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that both sides of the engine block hinges were fractured and needed replacement. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 022016

Ram 1500

Right side manifold leak bolts are broke and need to be replace because of weak bolts used to secure the manifold. This happened when traveling on the highway nearly causing a accident.

- Madison, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that the engine block manifold bolts fractured. When the vehicle was started, the engine made an abnormal noise. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the engine block manifold screws fractured due to the heat. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was repaired. The contact replaced the engine manifold bolts. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 092015

Ram 1500

Ticking nose from passenger side of truck under the hood near the wheel. Got underneath truck and found two bolts had broken off manifold. After looking on the internet found there are alot of other owners of this same truck with same issue, Ram/Dodge needs to fix this problem, I think issue is from to much heat. The sound is at its best when truck is started the first time of the day / cold out.

- Kings Mountain, NC, USA

Oct 092015

Ram 1500

At 12K -13K miles I experienced an engine stall in the early morning. The instrument cluster remained lit and I was able to engage the emergency flasher. I was on a back road and luckily I was able to coast into a driveway. After numerous turns of the key fob, the engine started. This incident was reported to the dealership, but they seemed to shrug it off. Fast forward to 10/9/15. I had trouble again starting the truck. I proceeded to the store and was on a main thoroughfare when I started to turn across traffic into a parking lot.the engine died and luckily my momentum carried me off the street out of traffic and into the lot. Cars had to go around me as I tried to get the vehicle started. The next Monday 10/12/15 I had trouble starting again and I was able to proceed to work. At the end of my shift, it took a couple dozen turns of the key fob to get the truck started and I made it home. The truck now sits in the driveway waiting for a service appointment on 10/30/15. If it does not start, it will have to be towed. When I inquired online about this problem I was aghast at how many others were having the same issue as me and Chrysler was doing very little to make it right. The stall of an engine in traffic is a very dangerous safety problem. The truck has a battery less than 2 years old and has only 35200 miles on it. I am not getting any check engine lights. It is serviced routinely by the Chrysler dealer.

- Everett, WA, USA

Sep 192009

Ram 1500

Truck has left me stranded multiple times by completely losing power electrical and engine. Dealer claims to have "replaced" computer but Chrysler Corp confirms dealer just "reflashed" computer. Multiple recalls have occurred and truck was brought into dealer but I know the old parts remain in place! I cannot trust this dealer to do anything they claim to do, proven by comparing the written work order with the records at chysler corporate. We are afraid to drive this vehicle, my wife will not step foot on it and as I am an amputee every time I get stranded(3 times so far) I cannot walk to get help. So I am at the mercy of available cell phone signal or just pray. The dealer had continually stalled us on repairing these problems up until the warranty ran out and then all of a sudden they figured out the "actual" problem and could now fix it for a few thousand!! dollars. Please help us- we have been fighting for some kind of justice for 6 years! truck has only 24000 total, actual scary miles on it. Paid cash of approx $50,000 and are so hurt and disgusted with our purchase but most outraged by the treatment and lack of normal human concern for our safety or our lives for that matter. Last remark from dealer owner to us: "not my problem tough S..T" this vehicle should become chryslet corps problem and we want the timely return of our money asap please please please. This is a nightmare and has caused us both serious health issues

- Staugustine, FL, USA

Jul 152015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the vehicle was making a loud ticking and knocking noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the driver side manifold bolt was fractured. The vehicle was repaired under a manufacturers recall related to the failure however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Sep 012015

Ram 1500

Bolts on exhaust manifold broke, allowing exhaust gases to vent to atmosphere bypassing the exhaust system.

- Harrodsburg, KY, USA

May 012015

Ram 1500

When slowly accelerating from a stop I could hear a rattling/vibration sound coming from the passenger side of vehicle. This progressively got worse until I found the heat shield on the passenger side exhaust manifold was loose due to broken stud bolts. I did not repair immediately as I thought the break was superficial (outside the manifold). Over the next month a slight exhaust leak could be heard, which has gotten very loud now. There is clearly at least one broken exhaust manifold bolt on passenger side. I am second owner (purchased at 19,000 miles), so lifetime warranty is no longer valid. I fear this leak could cause poisonous carbon monoxide gas to fill the cabin of my truck while driving with my wife and children. With the number of complaints regarding this exact same issue that I have heard, I cannot believe this has not reached recall status.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Jul 062015

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving at approximately 10 to 15 mph approching a traffic light, the brakes were engaged and the vehicle suddenly accelerated independently without warning. The contact was able to regain control of the vehicle and continue driving; however, the vehicle stalled shortly afterwards. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 89,000.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Jul 012012

Ram 1500

Purchased the truck used. Engine began making a tapping sound several months after purchase. Dealer informed me that both exhaust manifolds were leaking due to broken bolts. The dealer stated a recall was established to remedy this issue but my vehicle was not included. On 07/01/2014 I had the manifold bolts and gaskets replaced by a local auto repair shop. On 01/01/2015 the tapping started again.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 312014

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

It got cold on this morning went out to start truck. Started fine like always drove my wife to work soon as I put truck in reverse my ABS light traction control and emergency brake lights all flashed on at once. Took into get brakes checked they said they were fine. Also have four exhaust manifold bolts broke flush off on the block kinda been reading a lot of people have too. Is this going to be a recall?

- Pocatello, ID, USA

Sep 062012

Ram 1500

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. While driving approximately 40 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart and resumed normal operation. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Hinesville, GA, USA

Oct 272010

Ram 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled intermittently without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The technician was not able to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 62,500. Updated 10/23/14 updated 7/8/2015

- Santa Claus, IN, USA

Jun 232014

Ram 1500 8-cyl

Transmission sticks in 4th gear have to pull over, turn off truck for 5 seconds and restart. Motor uses number of quarts of oil a day with no sign of leak.

- Perryton, TX, USA

Apr 132014

Ram 1500

Upon start-up of the vehicle a ticking noise is heard (possible exhaust leak). The sound becomes less noticeable as the engine warms to normal operating temperature. Similar cases have been seen in 2009 models caused by broken or loose exhaust manifold bolts for cylinders 7 and 8. contacted the dealer but they stated my vehicle was not affected by that recall even though it is the same year and engine type.

- Wichita, KS, USA