Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Dodge Stratus:

Apr 012000

Stratus

Excessive engine oil leakage occurs from head gasket - had to replace with mls gk.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

May 222000

Stratus

I am also told that I have a bad head gasket and I dont know if the recall for it was done on the vehicle. How do I check to make sure I'm not being lied to. The recall I beleive for an oil plug.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

May 222000

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Dec 221999

Stratus

Chrysler refuses to acknowlege their faulty head gasket problem and expects consumer to pay for new engine.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Mar 262000

Stratus

Engine head gaskets had developed a crack & was leaking fluids. Took vehicle to mechanic & the head gasket was removed and replaced. Checked exhaust manifold which was next to firewall. The fumes would enter the vents & the heater. The oil leaking from head gasket blew onto the exhaust pipe, causing fumes. Chrysler contacted & shipped new head gaskets.

- Iuka, IL, USA

Apr 202000

Stratus

Engine head gasket failed causing oil to leak on engine. Leak was severe and could have caused fire. Mechanic said this is not an unusual failure with these engines. Cost to repair is $500+.

- Vestal, NY, USA

Apr 272000

Stratus

Engine head gasket is leaking oil without prior warning.

- Montpelier, VT, USA

Jan 012000

Stratus

While driving noticed oil leaks. Taken to independent repair shop, and was informed of a blown head gasket. Dealer notified.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Oct 011999

Stratus

This engine leaks 2 to 3 quarts of oil a week at head gasket, and has since last October (1999).

- St. Joseph, MO, USA

Oct 021999

Stratus

While driving at 55 mph through lassen county park in California, the head gasket blew internally and I lost all power, ultimately the vehicle seized. The check engine light failed to give me any notice that there was a problem with the vehicle, my first notice was the vechile actually losing all power. During the initial seize up, a full size Chevy pick up was behind me and quickly came up on me as I quickly lost power and slowed down. I attempted to pull the vehicle to the side of the road and the Chevy was inches from hitting my left rear quarter panel. (at this moment I was terrified, I've never had this type of vehicle problem!). after I had the vehicle towed to a mechanic shop, I was told that due to the head gasket blowing interally it caused the rodbearings to spin. I ultimately had to have the rods, rodbearings, headgasket, oil filter, oil pan pickup, timing belts, injection seals, oil pan, air filter, PCV valve, thermostate, egr valve gasket, egr tube, cv shaft, sparkplugs, fuel filter replaced for a total of $925.38. I also had to have machine work done on the bottom end of motor for a total of $1,000. A grand total of almost $2,000!

- Carson City, NV, USA

Apr 062000

Stratus

Had problem with timing belt when first purchased. Now having problem with head gasket leakage and stalling of vehicle in operation. Just paid $790.42 for head gasket repair on April 11, 2000 nad work is still not solving problem. It stalled on me 3 times in traffic and still leaks oil. A recall needs to be placed or vehicle replaced. Im sick to my stomach over this and will never buy another Chrysler or Dodge automobile again.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Apr 062000

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Feb 212000

Stratus

I have only had this car for one year and I cannot believe that for a 1996 Dodge Stratus I have already had a head gasket ($600) and a transmission replaced. Need help with any recalls on these. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

- Leavenworth, KS, USA

Mar 232000

Stratus

Engine head gaskets blew out, causing coolant to leak onto the engine. Dealer has repaired vehicle.

- Milkw, WI, USA

Mar 282000

Stratus

The valve cover gasket has developed a severe leak. My research indicates that a number of other vehicle owners have reported this problem as well.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jan 012000

Stratus

The car was leaking oil so I had it checked out and was told the head gasket was 'pumping oil' and the estimate to fix it was $600. The mechanic told me to check with Chrysler to see if they would do anything for me, even though the car is not under warranty anymore. I decided to search the internet for similar problems and found numerous examples for the same type of car. I feel that Chrysler should be held accountable for this type of mass problems with their automobiles.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Feb 152000

Head gasket problem

- Prescott, WI, USA

Mar 192000

Stratus

Overhead gasket failed again, I was told that this problem and been fixed, but while checking my oil level noticed that the dip stick was bone dry, and that oil had been leaking from the head gasket, this is the second time so I contacted Chrysler and they told me that the problem had been fixed, well I'm here to let you know that the problem still exists.

- Apo, NY, USA

Dec 011999

Stratus

Timing belt tensioner and idler pulley failed.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Feb 151999

Stratus

The engine head gasket has failed twice within 44,000 miles. Leaked oil represented a major fire hazard. Potential fatal hazard if oil/water is gone and the vehicle is traveling at any rate of speed.

- Hampton, VA, USA