Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Dodge Stratus:

Nov 151999

Stratus

I noticed a leak, thought it was the valve cover, but was tipped off that it would probably be the cam sensor. But found out that it is the head gasket.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jan 102000

Stratus

Oil leaks may start fire. Blown head gaskets common on Stratus and neon models due to defective gasket material used during manufacture of engine.

- Granger, IN, USA

Jan 052000

Stratus

Engine head gasket failed twice in 40K miles. Fear fire may start.

- Park Forest, IL, USA

Jan 032000

Stratus

Engin ehead gasket leaks.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Oct 151999

Stratus

We have had a problem with engine head gasket contacted the dealership they say Chrysler aware of the problem. The neon has been recalled, but not the Stratus althoughthey have the same engine plus the gasket only leaks when cold when car warms up. Also, engine seals are a problem here, and we keep running into dead ends.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Oct 151999

- Newport News, VA, USA

Oct 011999

Stratus

Defective engine head gasket at 58,000 mile, causing engine to ove heat due to water/coolant leakages.

- Keokuk, IA, USA

Dec 151999

Stratus

Engine cylinder head oil galley plug does not seal properly, causing oil to leak. Dealer was notified about the problem. Owner was told that vehicle was not included in recall # 96V006000 Chrysler/engine, and could not be serviced free of charge. Problem has not been corrected.

- Middlebury, CT, USA

Nov 011999

Stratus

Vehicle has undergone every recall, consumer paid cost of failed engine head gasket, engine seized due to improper timing belt installation. Car was being driven at 50mph on interstate, transmission shifted to neutral, pulled off to shoulder, transmission shifted to park transmission blew up and car locked up. Pregnant passsenger suffered wiplash etc. Dodge conducted investigation (# 5804935) stated this was impossible. Note: Incident occured days before notification of shifter recall. Letter sent by Dodge stating they found no problems, refuses to release full report claiming propriatory info. Consumer again had to pay for full cost of repair, new trans. $ 1,700.

- East Arlington, VT, USA

Jun 011999

Stratus

We contacted Chrysler last month regarding the leaking engine head gasket on our 1996 Dodge Stratus with 57003 miles. We were told there were no problems reported about leaking head gaskets. But, take it to a dealership and they may or may not cover the replacement. The dealership told us it would cost $100 or so to just check it out. Even though they knew it was the head gasket. Because of our finanicial status, we chose to apply the $100 to our mechanic to actually fix the problem. It took the mehcanic 3 weeks to get the part because it was on back order. Imagine that, no problems reported and still the part was on back order. It took 3 days to fix. Our mechanic told us that he talked to another mechanic at the Chrysler dealership. He said they were replacing about 2 a week. Also that Chrysler was paying for either all of it or parts. I called Chrysler back and tried to talk with them. I even got more irate than I should have. They told me they would not help us because we chose not to get it fixed at the dealership. This leaky head gasket was not a recall. Were we required to pay an extra $100 just so they could say "yes" it is the head gasket in order for them to then say "no" we are not covering it" understand my position, all I want reembursed for is the head gasket itself which was $136.30. Because it was not a recall, why couldn't I take it to my mechanic? my mechanic charges $24/hr labor compared to the $54/hr the dealership charges. Does it matter who installs it when it is not a recall? also, my mechanic said the replacement part was the same identical one that was taken out. In conclusion, why should I be penalized for saving extra money when it is chrsyler fault for the defected part" all I ask for is the price of the head gasket $136.30. Thank you.

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Nov 011999

- East Arlington, VT, USA

Jun 211999

Stratus

Head gasket failed causing engine oil leakage. Mjs

- Joliet, IL, USA

Aug 301999

Stratus

Engine sends out light smoke due to a light smoke. This smoke has radiator fluid in it, could be dangerous if inhaled too long. Dealer charged consumer to look at engine. Then they said it was a common problem.

Nov 241999

Stratus

The head gasket on lots of Stratus/cirrus/breeze has been leaking. I was told by 4 mechanics that they have had lots of problems with this. I hope by teling you this it will make Chrysler pay for my repair and also others with the same problem. I hope your intent is to make sure people are safe and happy with there major purchases. The second largest investment for most people. Thank you.

- Bringhurst, IN, USA

Nov 111999

Stratus

Parked in garage noticed massive oil leaks. Took vehicle to local mechanic. He diagnosed that there was an engine head gasket problem. Contacted dealer, and dealer stated that the material the gasket was made from warped and it popped the head gasket.

- Litchfield, OH, USA

Nov 051999

Stratus

The vehicle was leaking oil due to a blown out head gasket. Dealer said engine head gasket needs to be replaced.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 011998

Stratus

Dealer was contacted multiple times during warranty of oil usage, even though they were aware of head gasket problem with these 2.4L engines they did not fix the problem. Head gasket is now leaking oil all over the place. This should be covered under a recall with the number of problems they are having including the fire potential and environmental impact.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Apr 121999

Stratus

There is an oil leak coming from the engine head gasket. Also, engine block is leaking onto the ground. When driving the oil is blowing all over the place.

Apr 121999

Jan 011999

Stratus

There was a recall on the timing belt/tensioner, my car was built outside of the build date for recall. Chrysler has changed the parts for the gaskets several times, they know this problem exists, but they will not provide any assistance with it. Sounds like a class action suit is in order!

- Wyoming, MI, USA