8.5

Most common solutions:

2. replace turbine speed sensor (2 reports)
  3. replace maf sensor on the air box (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

Feb 012018

Edge SEL V6

delays when shifting from drive to reverse after complete stop. gear slipping at low speeds. shift confusion at moderate speeds under load.

- , Memphis, US

Aug 152017

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

FIRST OF ALL, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF FORD GETS TO SEE THESE COMPLAINTS BECAUSE I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THERE IS NO RECALL FOR THESE ISSUES. I AM SO TIRED OF HAVING TO DRIVE MY 2008 FORD EDGE AROUND WITH FEAR THAT THE TRANSMISSION IS GOING TO JERK AGAIN. SO MANY TIMES, WHEN GOING FROM FIRST TO SECOND GEAR AND THEN ALSO WHEN PUT INTO REVERSE, THE TRANSMISSION WILL GIVE A TERRIBLE HARD CLUCK/JERK/THUD, WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT! THEN, ALSO AT TIMES I PUSH ON THE GAS AND THE CAR WILL REV UP BUT WON'T GO ANY FASTER. I FEEL LIKE I AM ALWAYS DRIVING MY CAR ON EGGSHELLS!!! IT'S A REAL SHAME WHEN YOU HAVE SUCH A BEAUTIFUL CAR THAT YOU LOVE SO MUCH, BUT YOU CAN'T ENJOY DRIVING IT!!! BUT EVEN MORE UPSETTING IS KNOWING THAT FORD DOES NOT AND HAS NOT DONE ANYTHING ABOUT IT. I HAVE BEEN ON SO MANY SITES WITH SO MANY PEOPLE HAVING THE SAME TYPES OF ISSUES AND STILL NO RECALL!! COME ON FORD, DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!

I THINK WE ALL NEED TO SEND THESE SAME POSTS TO FORD!

- , San Antonio, US

Dec 042017

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

I bought the car in Dec 2016, and the first week I had it, it got stuck in low gear and would not kick into drive. On several occasions, it puts itself into low and revs high and won't move. It does not go back into drive unless I stop the vehicle, put it in park and turn off the vehicle. Sometimes I can get it to go back into drive if I coast in neutral for a bit, but it clunks back into gear when this occurs. I was merging into traffic the other day and it put itself in low, almost causing somebody to run into me as the car was almost at a stand still. This is a major safety concern.

There are no warning lights or check engine lights that come on. It is completely random when it decides to do this and happens at least 5 times a month. So far, no mechanic including a ford dealership and transmission shop, have come to a conclusion or resolution as to what the problem may be and their diagnostic tests do not show any errors.

Ford should recall the 2008 Ford Edge as numerous owners are the same unresolved issues. Maybe Ford will acknowledge there is a problem after somebody has a very bad accident, or death, due to this issue.

- , Nanaimo, BC, Canada

Dec 072015

Edge SE

Jerking off and on, klunking noise when speeding up - Covert Ford dealership in Austin Texas could not replicate the problem. It was intermittent, and seemed better for a while. In the last few months (Oct to Dec 2017), the problem is occurring again and getting worse while driving. Driving is a big part of my job, so it's worrisome for car to be jerking and feeling like cruise control kicking in when cruise control is not on. I fear the transmission will go out on the freeway.

- , San Antonio, US

Aug 182017

Edge

Driving at 60 mph, speedometer goes to 0, error codes start flashing, transmission stuck in drive and will not down shift. I have been told by Ford rep that the transmission sensors have to replaced at a cost of $700. I can't believe that transmission error would make the air bag sensor and others to show an error. If I pay the repair bill will I have the real problem show up again? After reading prior complaints it appears I am not alone with this issue. Searching for answers!!!!

- , Cedar Bluff, US

Feb 012010

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

The wrench light and airbag light come on and my odo data error. The car will not move when it comes to a stop. Car needs to be turned off. I turn on the car and I press on the gas pedal what seems to be hesitating to go and the RPMS are going up but car is not moving, finally the transmission goes into the right gear. The odometer starts working again as if everything resets and works normal after that. I have been having this problem since early on before even the warranty went out. Everything would reset and it seemed like nothing was wrong so I figured it was just a computer glitch.

I did some research at the time but the only complaints were of people stating that the dealers would tell them there was nothing wrong with the car. Lately I have been having the issue occur more often than it used to. I am not sure what it is but it is scary when traveling on the expressway and I cannot tell how fast I am going. If traffic comes to a stop I know my car is going to hesitate when pressing on the gas until it goes into gear again. I cannot tell you how many times this has happened but it has been quite frequently. I have looked for recalls but nothing.

I love my 2008 Ford Edge but really hate it when this happens. I get nervous and scared when I am in the middle of heavy traffic.

- , Alamo, US

Jun 212017

Edge Limited

Transmission Clearly not throwing the gears properly. Thuds on some shifts. and even continuously slipped when I went from park to low on a hill. had to shift back and forth to get it to engage. 156,000miles

2008 EDGE. Steer clear. Just bought this car, I'm F*ed / :

- , Pittsburgh, US

Nov 032016

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

Every time I accelerate around 25mph the car clunks and than again around 45mph feels like its stuck in gear. A few times while driving on the highway vehicle made a loud bang and popped up and swerved to the left almost hitting another vehicle. I don't know why there is no recall on this. It's very upsetting to buy a nice looking vehicle thinking its reliable only to be a pretty lemon.

- , Bronx, NY, US

Jul 142016

Edge

Please add my name to the long list of owners who are being systematically taken advantage of, for a faulty sensor design. On other sites I am seeing owners with similar problems and correspondingly high costs for the remedy. Had I done more research, I would have steered away from this model/make, especially the 2008 Edge. I was told, quite cheerfully, that the 90k mile service was going to be north of $700, but they were waiting on confirmation of this transmission shaft sensor fix. Bracing myself I was told that THIS fix was going to cost me and additional $996.16! Like being told that your bad heart valve is going to cost a mint to fix, but meanwhile, you're already on the operating table, bleeding.

The wrench and air bag icon flash on, the odometer cluster zeros out, and the transmission starts to violently shake. Your RPMs drop to 1000 and your stuck in low gear. Fortunately this has happened on residential streets where I could safely pull over and "reboot" my car. I can't imagine what it would be like, if this hit, while I was cruising along at 75 mph on a deserted desert highway?

What choice do you have? It has to be fixed. I balked when I read of another unfortunate soul, being shaken down for an $80 pair of sensors and a $700 "labor" fix. He was the lucky one.

- , BELLEVUE, WA, USA

Jun 222016

Edge Limited

I love this vehicle- its build for travel, accommodates 6'4" individuals in both front and back and I can get 24 to 25 miles per gallon on the highway. I have a 2008 limited edition all wheel drive with the moon and sun roof. It has roughly 97K miles and I have changed the oil every 4 thousand miles; I have also maintained it as per Ford's suggestions. The other day I took it on a trip and the speedometer malfunctioned, the wrench also appeared on the left- everything else looked good so I continued my trip. A mile or so down the road the air bag light went on and that was followed by the tire sensor indicating a failure. I pulled off at the next exit and barely got the car out of the road -- the transmission had no power. Luckily on this stretch of highway there is cell service so I researched the problem on the net. It seems that this is not an isolated event, hundreds of individuals are facing this problem. I did as some suggested --I took the key out, opened the door, closed it and started the car---the alerts were now out but the transmission was still slipping and I had little power. I waited another 25 minutes and tried again - perfect- so I drove to a NAPA store across the road. The vehicle threw a P0720 code. I contact a Ford dealer and they told me it was a transmission code and to drive it.

Ok - so I have read all about changing the sensors and/or the transmission but either of those suggestions are not solutions as individuals that have done exactly that are still experiencing the problem. Bottom line, I have a car I love but am afraid to take it anywhere. I am no longer confident in the performance of this vehicle. Ford needs to review all the complaints and do something before something serious happens. I was at least lucky I could pull out of traffic but frankly a few miles back there was no area in which to do that, I may have been stuck in the middle of the road, on a highway with the traffic going 65 - 80 miles per hour, hoping my transmission code would reset and I could gather some power to move! Scared? You bet I was - in the middle of nowhere, with a vehicle I could not trust, two hours from home. Ford do something! Paula

- , Apalachin, NY, USA

Jun 262016

Edge SEL 302

I noticed the speedometer droped to 0 while traveling on the highway after passing a car. The RPMs were at 2800 and the transmission would not shift (I believe the car was stuck in a passing gear) the mileage was displaying only dashes and I noticed the airbag light and the wrench light were on. While trying to figure out what was going on the tire pressure light turned itself on. We pulled to the side of the road and stopped. I shut the car off and restarted it. After the restart the trouble lights were gone. I put the car in drive and the car acted like it was in a high gear but the speedometer was working (maybe stuck in second gear?). Droped the car into low and it started moving with a hard shift. Would like to know what the fix is for this problem.

- , Palmer, AK, USA

Jun 042016

Edge LTD 3.2L

Waiting on light to turn green on a major hwy. When ready, heard a clunk, engine wines and moves slowly. Pulled over, check manual what lights (wrench & maintenance emergency) Call towing $100 Sat 2 hrs in 90 degree temp. took to mechanic and left car. Monday got call that its a Turbine speed sensor for $700. Car only has 64000 miles on it. Very disappointing.

- , West Palm Beach, FL, US

Apr 092015

Edge Limited

I have a 2008 Ford Edge that has transmission issues odometer goes to zero car wont move and when it does it jerks forward violently had it to dealership told me they could not find a problem so I continued driving car...now I think my tranny is gone.....I feel they should be held responsible for this repair.....they told me my car was fine

- , Ctr. Ossipee N.H., USA

Dec 092013

Edge

Can't believe that since we have had this Edge the problems that we have had with it! And was I surprised to see that everything that we have experienced with this car is listed all over the your web site - transmission slipping, or clunking when you take off, turn sharply - And to think it was insinuated it was because of how I drove? Ha, is that a laugh. Also in 2013, the sensor - of some kind - went bad and that took $1800 to fix. This month I had to take it in because between 40-50 MPH, it is chugging, chugging; so I try to stay above or below that speed. Just a little difficult!! Now this repair is $1000!!!! Something about the bands - not the engine per se - but part of the car that is attached to the engine.

And we needed a car back in 2010, we specifically looked at Fords because they did not take the government's bail out money. But based on this website, it appears that Ford could care less about its' customers!

- , Larkspur, CO, USA

Apr 102015

Edge SE 3.2L V6

Just replaced my MAF sensor on the air box, about a hundred dollars, runs fine now. OH, and disconnected my battery for a few hours, stopped slipping.

- , New Caney, TX, US

Dec 102014

Edge Limited V6

My transmission works fine, then suddenly has problems. It is like it is not working, and when I shift to reverse, drive, or park, there is a loud noise and a hard thud. It will barely go on take-off, and my odometer doesn't work. I get a wrench light on and it just says error where my odometer reading should be.

- , Deland, FL, US