7.9

Most common solutions:

2. installed new door latch (10 reports)
  3. repair door latch, sensor (9 reports)
  4. clean door sensor (5 reports)
  5. replace entire door latch assembly (4 reports)
  6. replaced door latch switch (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Oct 152017

Edge SEL

This is the SECOND time I've needed this door ajar issue addressed. The first time was in 2015 when they just cleaned the sensor. Now two years later the same problem is BACK and Ford dealership says the entire latch needs to be replaced! Why couldn't they do this the first time around (my theory is that they get two services out of one problem, more $$$!) Luckily my extended warranty will cover the issue but it will still cost me $100. Getting it repaired this weekend.

Here's what's happening: Interior lights are remaining on, even when the door is securely closed. Door Ajar alert stays on while driving, even though the door is closed. Interior lights do go off when driving, but when stopping and then taking foot off the brake, the chime will sound again saying door is ajar. Doors do not lock when car is in motion (Safety issue!)

- , Nashua, NH, US

Dec 032017

Edge Limited 2.0L

I just want Ford to do what they should have already done and issue a recall for this problem.

- , Skiatook, OK, US

Jun 012016

Edge LX 3.2L

I have a defective door latch on a 3 year old vehicle in which I have had to get a new battery for because the lights stayed on in my car. There is no way to turn off the lights even if the door is closed and locked. When driving at night the dome lights stay on and cause blindness. you have to try to shut the door sometimes 20 times for it to finally shut off the lights. I was told it will cost over $400 for something that I had nothing to do with concerning wear and tear of the vehicle. There is no current recall on it despite numerous complaints and the dangers it could cause.

- , Hanford, US

Feb 012016

Edge SEL 3.5L

I took the vehicle to my Ford dealer in Feb, 2016 to have the problem fixed as we were leaving in March for Florida. The "authorized" Ford solution to the problem was to remove the switch and clean the contacts. I asked "if you are going to remove the switch why not just replace it". I was told they had to follow the authorized Ford 'fix". The technician told me that he had repaired several of these with no returns. We had no additional problems for around a year and a half. It is now Oct. 2017 and the problem has gotten worse over the last few weeks. My extended warranty is still in effect until Mar. 2019 but I am hearing that for will not warranty the repair a second time. I have also seen costs of up to $400 for this repair. I have not contacted my dealer about the issue yet but will be doing so next week. If they tell me it is no longer covered under my "bumper to bumper" extended warranty I will be very upset. I own three Fords now and have driven Ford trucks since 1983. Ford need to recall this item for its obvious safety issues let alone dealing with dead batteries.

Update from Oct 26, 2017: Took back to the dealer on Oct. 16th. They replaced the entire latch assembly this time instead of just cleaning the contacts. Item was covered under my extended protection plan.

- , Bellefontaine, US

Aug 012017

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

The passenger door ajar alert comes on almost every time I get in the car or when I get out. It's troublesome because the interior lights stay on and I'm concerned about draining the battery.

- , Albuquerque, US

Sep 012017

Edge Limited Fwd

This has been happening for over a week now, didn't realize it at first and suffered a dead battery that made me late for work. I haven't taken it to Ford yet because my work schedule has been hectic lately. Checking online it doesn't appear to be something I can just fix or clean off myself so I've got to take it in. Pretty annoying to see how many others have the same exact problem. There should be a law that if the problem affects a certain amount of customers that the dealer should be required to cover the expenses. I'm going to get it fixed this week and update my rant when I do. For now it looks like I have tourette syndrome as I slam my door over and over and over again until I get the light to shut off, or I just ignore the chime and look like an idiot with my light on.

Update from Oct 3, 2017: Although my extended warranty covered the $439.95 repair, I had a $200 deductible. They charged 115.95 for the latch and $324 for labor.

- , Sarasota, US

Sep 252017

Edge

Driver's side door is ajar warning was intermittent. I could slam the door over and over and it would go out. Now, it stays ON all the time. When the ajar warning is active and the key is in the ignition, I cannot lock my doors. This is a safety issue for the driver and all passengers when the doors CANNOT be locked. Each time I stop, the Driver Door is Ajar warning sounds and another warning tells me to shift to park. The dome light stays on for several minutes. At night, the dome lights stay on for several minutes because the car thinks the driver's door is open. This is also a safety hazard because it is hard to drive at night with the dome lights on. When the car is parked, the dome lights stay on for several minutes, running down the battery and allowing people to see inside my car when it is parked because the dome lights are on.

- , Wichita, US

Aug 012017

Edge Limited 3.6L

Rear left door ajar light comes on even while driving. Sucks battery and and had to change battery. Spend 15 to 20 minutes wiggling around trying to get light to come off.

- , La Crescenta, US

May 102017

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

Car drives fine, the damn light comes on more frequently. wont even know the issue is there until I either put the key in or try and lock the door getting out. So annoying and frustrating. This needs to be recalled or at least have an extended customer satisfaction opened on it just like the Brake booster!

- , Greensboro, NC, US

Aug 082015

Edge V6

Like everyone else, the door ajar light stays on even when the door is securely closed. Drains battery. Light stays on while driving. Three "warning dings" every time the brake is released.

I have had to replace the battery so many times because of this issue.

It's annoying and should not be an issue in the first place. Why put a door sensor on a door if it doesn't work?

- , Santee, US

Jul 012017

Edge Limited 3.5L

The "Door Ajar" light is extremely annoying. It will ultimately drain the battery.

- , Alexandria, US

Jul 122015

Edge SL 3.2L

The fix worked about year and half, then started again. Runs battery down because interior lights stay on and can't lock doors. Had to buy new battery.

- , Celina, Pacific Islands (US)

May 012017

Edge

Basic safety expectations but of course Ford is not sticking by their product. POS. Would not buy another Ford, will keep trying to get Ford to live up to their product.

- , Ipswich, MA, US

Apr 102017

Edge 3.7L V6

This is extremely dangerous as I have a three year old son and this issue does not allow me to lock my doors. I have researched this issue and over 2000 owners have reported the same issue. Not even that was enough to put a recall in effect. I think that someone would literally have to be badly injured or killed for this to be taken seriously enough for the dealer to have to take responsibility. That is sad. Your doors closing is just as important as you having a windshield without holes in it. This should not be ignored. I have also done my research and learned that even after some owners fix the issue it has returned within the next year. The Ford dealer says that it could be anywhere from $300-$500+ to fix. Who just has that money to throw away? I am seriously considering pushing this car off of a cliff. This is bull sh*t!

- , Cleveland, OH, US

Jul 012017

Edge SEL V6

Driver door ajar light is on when the door is closed 3-4 times a day. It's to the point, where I don't even try to close the door harder.

- , Minneapolis, MN, US

Jun 012017

Edge SEL 2.0L Ecoboost

With as many complaints that have been filed of this same problem, Ford should do the right thing and offer to pay for this problem on their own, without a recall.

- , Chattanooga, TN, US

Feb 072017

Edge SEL

Door ajar light stays on while driving. This issue cause that the dome light stays on for a while.

- , Chambly, QC, Canada

Oct 192016

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

I have 92K on my vehicle and I began to experience an issue with this around 75K. When it first became a problem, it usually took a few extra times to shut my door and it would latch. That doesn't work anymore. Yesterday morning I was stranded because my battery died unexpectedly. Come to find out form my neighbor later in the day that my car alarm and flashers were going off throughout the entire night. Please investigate this matter. Draining the battery at such an unexpected rate is a severe safety concern. The ajar warning light is also very distracting and upsetting when driving.

- , Hudson, US

Nov 012014

Edge LX V6

The sensor was fixed and then 1 year later it happened again, and this time they said it was the door latch and out of warranty, so I had to pay for it.

- , Littleton, CO, US

Jan 012016

Edge

With this door sensor not working correctly it causes the interior lights to stay on longer than they should making it dangerous to drive at night! This issue I believe should be recalled!

- , Maricopa, US