7.8

$350

Most common solutions:

2. installed new door latch (13 reports)
  3. repair door latch, sensor (10 reports)
  4. clean door sensor (7 reports)
  5. replace entire door latch assembly (6 reports)
  6. replaced door latch switch (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Jul 152016

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

Three years ago the door ajar sensor was going off in my 2012 Ford Edge sporadically. There would be times the shirt to park would come on but mainly it would just act like my door was open and the interior lights would come on. I took it into the dealership and they replaced the latch mechanism ($380). Here we are again, 3 years later, with the same thing happening. Seems Ford has known this has been an issue for years now but won't do a recall.

Update from Jul 19, 2019: 11/11/15 the door ajar message kept popping up on my 2012 Edge. There would also be times where it would indicate "shift to park" and unlock all the doors (pretty scary). $420 later the door latch as replaced.

Here I am 3.8 years later with the same issue. Today I picking up the vehicle $520 later as they had to replace the door latch AGAIN and I am out of warranty on the part (it's 2 years btw). I am glad Ford is being sued (more than once) about this as they should have recalled it long ago - TOTAL safety hazard. This stupid issue is making me re-think buying a Ford again.

- Tracy M., OLYMPIA, US

Jul 062018

Edge XLT V6

Parked car in driveway after trip, interior light stayed on, draining battery all night.

Finally got it to turn off the next day after slamming drivers door multiple, multiple times.

- Paul M., Oxford, US

May 012019

Edge

Second time to replace the sensor. Alarm went off a couple of time too.

- Moe A., gilbert, AZ, US

Jul 012017

Edge Limited 2.0L I4

Again another Ford product with the same stupid door latch not working. I can't believe it has affected these newer vehicles, it's truly annoying to me. Ford told me that it can be fixed but it's not a guaranteed fix, they said that it will happen again. What is the point of wasting $1000 on fixing something that will come back in a couple of months, it's just not worth it.

- Bob A., Belen, US

Apr 132019

Edge SEL 3.5L

Called dealer, they didn't acknowledge that this is an issue and said to bring in the car and they would check it out.

- shatto, Powell, US

Dec 062017

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

Sometime in December last 2017, noticed that the door ajar light stayed on even when all the doors were properly shut. Repeated shutting of the doors initially solved the problem. However, after a while, when this stopped working, I had to trace the offending door and found it was the driver side rear passenger door.

Once the door is opened, the indicator light stays on even after it is securely shut, the interior lights stay on, the doors don't automatically lock after driving at the required speed.

Once parked, the car alarm comes on intermittently and the panic button on the remote key would have to be activated to stop the alarm. This has sometimes run down the car battery and is particularly offensive at night as the car alarm would come on intermittently and wake the entire family up.

We have had to stop opening the offending door but my children sometimes forget and open the door and the cycle is repeated!!!

I bought the car brand new from a local Ford dealer and I have not bothered taking it to them as the warranty is up. Just thought to see if there are other Edge owners facing same problem and was amazed the see the number of complaints on the same issue.

It is such a shame that Ford has ignored solving this problem at no cost to owners. More annoying is the fact that I had the choice of buying a Toyota SUV but took a chance on Ford instead.

- seyi, Lagos, Nigeria

Apr 102018

Edge Limited V6

Ford should replace these as there are many people that have watched Youtube videos trying to replace this faulty part because of the $600 part replacement cost.

- James P., CROWLEY, TX, US

Sep 072018

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

The Door Ajar light started coming on at random. To make the light go out I had to constantly open and close the drivers door. This became a real headache. I had the normal problem that were caused by the switch in the drivers door that wasn't always working. The dome light would stay on, couldn't lock the doors, key fob wouldn't lock the door. My Ford dealer knew what the fix was but still insisted on doing a Diagnostic Computer Test Pin Point Test that would validate what the problem was. The Ford dealer ordered the part. I let them keep the car and had it back in 2 days.

- Jerry & Carol M., Grants Pass, OR, US

Jul 162018

Edge ES 3.2L V6

I went online to check on this issue and found out it has been quite a common issue for the 2012 Ford Edge. Not happy that this has not been a recall issued by Ford. It did it a little bit before and now it does it every time I shut the door. The constant ringing of the bell, now is starting to get on my nerves.

- Claire M., Chesapeake, VA, US

Feb 012018

Edge Sport

The left rear door ajar stays on constantly. Dome light stays on a few while driving then shut off. The dome light stayed on all night recently and caused battery to die. This has happened twice. Tried spaying WD-40 inside latch but light didn't go out. This is so annoying especially with light on at night.

Update from Aug 15, 2018: Disabled the piece in rear door latch and light went off day or two with a new battery. Drove it and turned engine off with normal driving time.Today the "rear door ajar" light came back on!! So beyond annoyed and dissatisfied with this Ford Edge!! Now I see there's a recall concerning the air bags on it. Will NEVER buy a Ford again!!

- docwade003, Snow Camp, US

Jun 282018

Edge XLT V6

Most annoying and distracting, dash light comes on telling you door is open. When stopped at a red light/stop sign chimes to tell you to shut door, end up looking like a nut opening and slamming the door to get the sensor to go off, sometimes works, other times not. When parking, interior and aux lights stay on, and if you DON'T catch it, your battery is drained.

- Paul M., Oxford, US

Jul 292018

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

Beyond the annoying beeping and the constant warning light, the doors don't lock at driving speeds, the dome lights stay on after exiting and then drain the battery. That has happened twice and is certainly a pain in the a$$. Sad to pay good money for a vehicle and have it have these little quirks that make it less valuable and almost annoying to own.

- Craig B., Alma, US

Apr 012016

Edge SE 3.5L V6

It is really unsafe when the light is on, as the doors could not be automatically locked when I started driving. Also, it happened several times that the interior lights stayed on due to the door ajar issue, which caused my battery running out and I could not start my car (call Jumper service every time from my insurance company or my friend), really, really inconvenient.

- Xinglin L., New Haven, US

Jan 012018

Edge ES 3.5L

The passenger rear left door open caution light was intermittent but now constantly stays on. This is a huge concern because I don't want my battery to drain since it keeps the dome light on.

- pidolphin, Marietta, US

May 012018

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

"Door Ajar" warning stays on even when door is closed. It keeps lights on inside the vehicle and will drain the battery if I don't sit in the car and close the door multiple (sometimes 10x) times. It also sets off the car alarm, and I cannot lock the vehicle even when it's off because the car thinks the door is still open.

- Christina G., Rockaway, US

Mar 012018

Edge SEL V6

It goes to Gord dealership to get fixed on 5/15/18. I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS SITUATION. I should not have to pay to correct this problem. Should be on a recall. Feel free to reach out to dealership to advise about this issue.

- Sue W., Springville, US

May 012016

Edge SEL FWD 3.5L Ti-Vct-V6

The door ajar light comes on and the interior lights don't shut off. It chimes constantly and runs my battery down. I've had to get a new battery and have my car battery jumped. It's very distracting when trying to drive and very frustrating. Ford needs to make a recall on this.

Update from Sep 13, 2018: The door ajar light comes on all the time it's a huge pain in the ass, my Ford Edge is the biggest piece of crap there ever was.

- Julie L., Mackinaw, IL, US

Oct 232017

Edge

This error has been systemic as I have noticed there have been over 2,000 complaints online and no recall because this is not a dangerous situation, or not enough people have been injured/died to warrant a recall. The error is apparently electrical in nature and can cost $500 to fix at least. I live on a budget and cannot afford the fix, and I am kicking myself for not researching errors with the Ford Edge before I bought the used car.

I will never make that mistake again, and I am certainly not buying a Ford again.

- Robert M., Herndon, US

Mar 312018

Edge LES 3.5L V6

I got this car two days ago, and this is what I get. If I cant have it fixed I don't know what I am going to do about it.

- Emily G., Hoffman Estates, IL, US

Jan 182018

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

Started the car after shopping and there was a "Door ajar light and Alert sound came on... I opened and closed the driver's door several times and the Alert kept coming on... I pressed the OK button on the steering wheel and the sound would go off until I slowed down or stopped at a light. After accelerating, the sound usually stops, but the light does not go out... It should be noted that one cannot lock the doors once the Alert comes on. When I purchased the vehicle I really liked it, but now that this annoying security risk and potential safety issue has reared its ugly head, I don't think I would buy another Ford product... and would warn others looking to purchase. I have two other upscale non-Ford vehicles and there has been no difficulty with anything on either of them... After seeing all the reports of this same problem, it seems as if a recall is in order before a door does open up and someone gets injured or worse, or due to the doors not locking, a security breach puts someone in harms way and or something of important value gets stolen or worse...

- pitahark, FRANKLIN, MA, United States