7.5

Most common solutions:

2. replace door latch (5 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

Jun 052017

Edge Limited V6

The Door Ajar light remains on even when the Driver's door is shut, it's annoying as your driving down the road, and the chiming of the bell alerting you the Door is ajar, even when it's not! I tried making an appointment in the beginning of June at Fuller Ford of Chula Vista, but they couldn't take my car because they had just sold out to Penske Ford (Change of ownership), so they weren't providing service. Then I called Perry Ford of National City, they gave me the excuse that their electrical technician was backed up on work, next appointment availability was at least a week out? Ughhh....

So I finally got my car scheduled for an appointment 15 June 2017 at Penske Ford of Chula Vista

- , Chula Vista, CA, US

Edge

I see this with other people as well. All of a sudden the car thinks my driver's side door is ajar despite being closed. The car unlocks the doors, lights stay on and creates generally unsafe an annoying situation. Sorry - 40K miles and a door sensor has problems? Sounds like a defect that deserves a recall/replace.

- , San Mateo, CA, US

Edge SE 3.5L V6

Ford need to recall for this problem. This is really not safe because of the false alarm.

- , Harrison, NJ, US

Jun 012016

Edge ESL V6

I was driving down the road and the interior lights came on. The door light ajar sensor went bad and the car sensed that the door was open. I was completely blinded and couldn't see anything.

- , Troy, US

Edge SEL 3.2L

As with the thousands of other complaints. the door ajar light stays on. In May of 2015 I brought the vehicle into the dealership, while still under warranty. They cleaned the assembly and latch with the "special service tool". (I kid you not it actually says this on my invoice). In June of 2015 I returned with the same problem. This time they attached the "cleaning machine" and cycled the latch 30 or more times. Again covered under warranty.

Two years later the problem has returned, and of course I am no longer under warranty. And now is when the latch needs to be replaced.

I agree with others that this is a safety hazard. My doors don't lock, and the constant chiming, especially when you are reversing is a dangerous distraction.

This was my first Ford I ever owned. If they don't make it right, it will also be my last.

- , ke, BC, Canada

Edge Limited 3.5V6

Very annoying. Car alarm won't engage. Lights stay on after locking. Alarm indicator constantly dinging while driving telling me to stop and close door. Locks won't engage while driving. Took it to Ford and they said they had to do a diagnostic and charge 114.95 + tax which cost me $129.89 dollars, which turns out was unethical as they knew what the problem was in the first place. Quoted me $590.00 to fix, so looking for an alternative currently.

- , Scarborough, ON, Canada

May 302017

Edge SEL

Door ajar warning has started intermittently. very annoying and a safety problem when interior light stays on at night.

- , Brandon, MB, canada

Mar 152017

Edge V6

Vehicle isn't recognizing that the passenger door is closed. Lights are remaining on. It is mostly annoying have to get out and close the door multiple times. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. The biggest issue is when backing out in the dark the lights make it difficult to see what is going on behind the vehicle. Have no screen in the car that allows me to see going in reverse so it is important to be able to see through the windows and rearview mirror when the lights are on it's almost impossible at night to see anything.

- , Bear, US

Feb 152017

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

The driver door ajar alert signal stays on in the car. The quote I got from my mechanic was over $300 (the part alone was about $135). That is insane for a small little part that I shouldn't have to fix. Any day now Ford...

- , Cranford, NJ, US

Apr 072017

Edge

2013 Ford Edge door ajar sensor on. Interior lights do not go off until i open and close the door 15 times. I even have to move the car to another location sometimes to get the lights to go off. I have to open the door while i am driving with my 8 year old sometimes to get the damn beeping to stop and the interior lights to go off.

- , Bensalem, US

Apr 152017

Edge SE V6

This is a very annoying problem since the interior lights stay on with the door ajar light on causing a serious driving obstruction and dangerous condition.

- , Eatontown, NJ, US

Mar 012016

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

This is complete stupidity! Nothing that makes common sense to try and fix this works. The light stays on always, often the dome light won't shut off even while driving which is real sweet (Not). When you arm the vehicle at night the it goes off and won't reset.

- , Fairfield, US

Sep 012016

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

My "Door Ajar" light started coming on about the time my vehicle hit 55,000 miles. All doors are shut, but the light still comes on. It prevents my doors from locking and dings at me all of the time. I'm extremely annoyed that Ford hasn't recalled this problem, as it seems to be very common in this vehicle, at the same mileage point. I'll have to take it in to get it fixed, but I don't feel that I should have to pay for this when it's happening in thousands of vehicles. Is this Ford's ploy to make some money by having all of these cars being fixed in Ford dealerships? If anything, this makes me want to avoid Ford so they can't make another dollar off of me.

- , Chatfield, US

Mar 292017

Edge SEL

This just started a few weeks ago- door ajar light comes on. At first we could slam it a couple times and it went away. Now, starting today, it won't go off and if you're sitting still another light comes on telling you to shift into park. This only has 85k on it- we had planned on using this car like our Honda Odyssey (286,000 miles)- but after trying a US owned vehicle- not sure we will stick with them. As I see online- Ford refuses to pony up and admit there's a problem- even with well over 1500 complaints. Way to go Ford!

- , Grandview, US

Feb 142017

Edge SEL V6

I TOOK MY VEHICLE TO DEARLERSHIP WHERE I BOUGHT IT BECAUSE ON THE DASH BOARD THE LIGHTS CAME ON SAYING DRIVER DOOR AJAR AND SHIFT TO PARK. SO THAT KEPT THE INSIDE LIGHTS ON AND WOULD NOT LOCK MY DOORS. AND IT DRAINED MY BATTERY SO I HAD TO TAKE OFF THE BATTERY CABLES SO IT WOULD NOT DRAIN BATTERY ANYMORE. I HAD TO EVERYDAY PUT CABLES BACK ON AND TAKE OFF WHEN I HAD TO GO SOMEWHERE OR STOP VEHICLE. THIS WENT ON THRU THE WEEKEND UNTIL DEALERSHIP WAS OPEN . THE DEALERSHIP TOLD ME IT WAS COVERED UNDER MY STANDARD WARRANTY , BUT THEN THEY CAME BACK AND SAID IT WASNT AT THE LAST MINUTE. I ASKED THEM WHY AND THEY SAID BECAUSE ITS NOT ELECTRICIAL ITS MANUEL-ELECTRIAL WHAT EVER THEY HECK THAT MEANS. SO I WAS STUFF PAYING FOR SOMETHING I SHOULD OF NOT HAD TO. IT WAS MY DOOR LATCH GOT FIXED AND I WAS ALSO AT THAT TIME RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RENTAL TOO THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE COVED UNDER MY STANDARD WARRENTY BUT WASNT SINCE THE PART WASNT.

- , San Antonio, US

Mar 272017

Edge

Last year we had a door ajar light issue with the front driver side door. No matter how many times you shut the door it would still say it's not closed. Keeping the light inside the on til you start driving and comes on again when you're at a stop and go. Very annoying especially at night then it becomes a real problem cause now you can't see due to the reflection from the light on the windshield.

We took it in to Ford and they cleaned it by putting it on a machine that sends voltage to the sensor. A year later it's doing it again but this time it's the same front and back drivers side door. We can't lock the doors while driving because of this issue. I'm afraid we would accidentally forget to set the child lock and one of the kids would open the door while driving. This needs to be a recall. Ford recognizes the issue and all they can say is bring it in and we will charge you over and over again. It's a scam.

- , Jacksonville, FL, US

Feb 012017

Edge

I have a ford Edge.There is a warning on the front panel that now is on, continuously indicating that the left rear door is ajar, The interior above lights stay on 2-3 minutes. Initially, I would open and then close the door and this would be a temporary fix. However, nothing changes now. Frustrated and annoyed, I brought the car into a Ford a dealership and after explaining the problem ,I was told that there would be a $125.00 diagnosis fee plus tax plus cost of any material used. I was also informed that this was not a common problem and the issue needed to be evaluated. I was called by the service dept. and told that the problem was "the latch " and that the solution would be to replace the latch for $420 plus tax etc. I declined and later did some online investigation that indicated a not so uncommon problem. It seems that Ford has been aware of this problem in other models and has been described over the past 4 years.

It also seems that Ford does not recognize the problem being frequent enough or significant enough to consider the issue a"recall status ". This whole experience thus far is getting to the unreasonable and ridiculous level.

I feel certain that the service man knew what the problem was from the beginning and that I did not need to incur the cost for a diagnosis. I think Ford knows that there is a flaw in manufacturing and there is avoidance of responsibility occurring. The door is not ajar!!! There should be a recall ! There have been reports concerning "safety". Ford has recognized and recalled other models for the same issue. My advice to others ( at this time) would be to not consider purchasing a Ford Edge --or any Ford product. It is time for Ford to stop playing games and do what is right for the customer.

- , Durham, US