Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Escape:

Nov 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Arrived home, parked vehicle in driveway and shortly after my wife took our puppy outside and saw my car was on fire under the hood, I was able to open the hood and saw flames and sparks coming from the drivers side firewall area, called fire dept after my fire extinguisher failed to fully put out the fire fearing it would catch the house on fire as I was parked less than 10 ft from it.

- Uniontown, OH, USA

Aug 072013

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Escape. The contact stated smoke emitted from under the hood of the vehicle. The vehicle was removed from under the carport and flames surfaced around the drivers side of the engine. The fire department extinguished the fire. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Gladewater, TX, USA

Aug 102012

To start off the idle control valve needed to be replaced because when you push the clutch in it dies and you loose all power, another is the bushing in the control arm slipped out of the arm mount so I had to replace it and another that just happened is the gas tank strap and support pan broke and plastic gas tank hit the ground on one end and the other is grinding on the drive shaft. And the Ford dealership wont fix anything cause it ain't considered powertrain.

- Marion, NC, USA

Jul 012012

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle emitted a burning odor and the vehicle stalled several times without warning. The contact mentioned that sometimes the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection, but the mechanic was unable to locate or duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 156,000 and the current mileage 162,000.

- Buffalo , NY, USA

Nov 192012

Escape 6-cyl

Going between 34-37 mph today, my vehicle completely stalled upon slight deceleration as I was attempting to switch into another lane.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Oct 192012

Escape 6-cyl

Upon pressing the brake, at any speed, the vehicle completely shuts off. This has caused me to be nearly rear-ended on several occasions. It happens without notice, and is becoming more consistent. I took it to the dealership, as there were recalls on my vehicle, but they said while that is a problem for my make and model, it was in fact not one of the recalls to be performed. I had two recalls performed, neither of which helped this problem at all. It leaves me halted in intersections, and makes for abrupt stops, as I have to completely brake to a full and complete stop, throw the truck into park, turn the key off, wait a moment, turn the key back on, and back into drive.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Dec 102011

While driving at normal speeds on ice-glazed winter roads in fairbanks, ak, I approached an intersection and took my foot off the accelerator to prepare to slow down. Instead of dropping to idle speeds, the engine accelerated up to 3500-4000 RPM. I shifted the automatic transmission to neutral and was able to stop the car with the brakes, but the engine continued to race at high-throttle until I shut off the engine. When I restarted the engine it behaved normally for several days; but the problem came back intermittently several times over the next several weeks; and every time, shutting off the engine was the only way to stop it. Ford's database showed my car had undergone a recall in 2005 to fix a similar problem. In January 2012, stanley Ford in kenai, ak 'supposedly' replaced the throttle cable and throttle body assembly for $572, but it didn't solve the problem. The uncontrolled acceleration occurred several more times, as before, until a second repair in February 2012 by seekins Ford in fairbanks, which replaced a PCV and tubing, and did a complete tune-up for $992. Since then, there have been no more issues with the accelerator.

- Kasilof, AK, USA

May 162012

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Focus. The contact was traveling 35 mph when the engine began making a knocking noise. The contact stated that seat valve failed and caused the pistons to fail. The contact stated that the failure caused the vehicle to run poorly and slower than normal. The dealer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that there were no known recalls for the vehicle and that the engine had to be replaced because it was not repairable. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 111,000. The VIN was not available.

- Agusta, GA, USA