Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Escape:

Oct 052002

Escape

My 2002 Ford Escape was bought new in March of 2002. The problem with it accelerating at low speeds started about 6-7 months later. Returned to the dealership many times to have it checked but was told every time there was nothing wrong. I've had one accident as a result of this problem. I still own the same Escape and still have the problem with it. I was told that there were no complaints of this nature with these models but have since learned that there have been many. I also as have many people had the problem with the air-bag light on.again many trips to the dealer and was told nothing was wrong about $300 later for labor costs. Finally on one more attempt to find out what was wrong I returned to the dealer again and was told that a sensor in the seat-belt was the problem and it would cost approximately $300-$400 to repair it and that the air bags may or may not be working because of this sensor. I have personally lost all faith in Ford Canada and their products and some of the employees at the dealerships I've dealt with. I am in the process I buying a new car but it's not a Ford. Never again will I buy a Ford

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 302009

Escape

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the air bag light stayed illuminated and would not shut off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they stated that they repaired the vehicle but the light continued to illuminate. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 94,959.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Aug 262005

Escape

Air bag light came on I was told it was several different problems on several different occasions all resulting in the dealer replacing my safety harness which was oh by the way not covered under the electrical wiring extended warranty. They replaced the safety harness and guess what the air bag light is back on. I was told it would happen every time I adjust the seat. ( a defect in design).

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 132008

Escape

Air bag lights go on and off.

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Apr 152008

Escape

I purchased my 2002 Ford Escape in February 2006. Within a few days the airbag light came on and stayed on. I took it to the Ford dealership and they said that the seatbelt pretenser needed to be replaced, but I can not afford to pay almost $500. The dealership says that because I can't have it fixed, my airbags may not deploy in an accident. I have reported this to the Ford company and got no help. So, basically they are saying that I deserve to be hurt or killed in an accident because I can't afford to have the pretenser fixed. I for one do not think that is fair.

- Port St. Joe, FL, USA

Mar 052008

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Air bag light illuminated continuously indicating that the air bags may not work properly in a collision. Ford dealer performed air bag self test and code B1881 was obtained. I had to have wiring revisions to both seats at a cost of $292.86. The dealer representative informed me that the wiring revision was necessary because the original wiring under the seats was incapable of accommodating the full range of normal seat adjustments allowed by the electric seat adjustor. This is obviously a manufacturer defect involving a safety feature of the 2002 Ford Escape. Should not the manufacturer have to pay for correcting this safety defect?

- Williamsburg, PA, USA

Jan 092008

Escape 6-cyl

SRS airbag lamp on on the dashboard, it will blink for 30 seconds when you start the engine. Then it will stay lit. I brought this to the dealer where I bought this SUV and after 1 year it came on again. I had it checked to a dealer and they reset the lamp and it came back again. It worries me because I do not know if the airbags will work during an accident.

- Windsor, CT, USA

Jun 102007

Escape 6-cyl

Air bag light comes on and stays on. Dealer says air bags are disabled when the light is on. He wants about $400 to fix the problem. This problem has been reported frequently on the internet.

- Mountain Center, CA, USA

Aug 042007

Escape

My granddaughter was operating my 2002 Ford XLT Escape and was involved in an accident recently in August 2007. An individual ran a stop sign and she hit his vehicle broadside at 50 miles per hour. The automobile has been classified as totaled at 10K plus damage. The problem is that none of her airbags deployed in the vehicle. She was wearing a seat belt but received injures including a partially collapsed lung, which may have been a direct result of the airbags not stopping her forward motion.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Apr 062007

Escape 6-cyl

In April 2007, I took my 2002 Ford Escape because of constant clicking noise that I heard coming from the left front side of the car for about 3 months. I was told that it was my sway bar end link, but the right side. The left end link had been replaced in April 2006, so I had to pay for the right end link to be replaced. The clicking noise persists. Now, the dealer is saying that it is the right lower control arm that is making the noise and I must have done something to it, even though it is the same noise and started only 2 days after being serviced. Also, the car has stalled twice. The front brake rotors have been replaced twice and needs a third replacement. The transmission has been replaced. The air bag light comes on intermittently and remains on for months at a time; started in 2004. The windows and door locks have been serviced for intermittently not working three times before the problem was resolved.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Nov 032006

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Air bag light came on. It stays on. I was told by the dealer that when this happens the air bags are immediately shut off as there is a error code. This has happened three times before and each time the passenger side pretensioner was replaced. Twice the dealer covered it and the third time the dealer said it was out of warranty and they wouldn't fix it. Seems like if they fixed it right the first time it wouldn't have happened again. Now it has happened again. And once again the dealer said I am on my own. Now I am driving a car with no air bags and I specifically brought it because of the airbags.

- Eldersburg, MD, USA

Apr 012003

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 25 mph, the airbag light illuminated intermittently, then became constant. The vehicle was taken to a service dealer where it was determined that a seat belt assembly pretensioner kit needed to be installed for the driver and passenger sides. The wiring for the airbag was also inspected, and it was determined that the wiring needed to be replaced. The contact stated the problem occurred 4 times. The manufacturer was alerted but denied the claim.

- Dedham, MA, USA

Aug 282006

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

In April 2005 my airbag light came on. Took it to Ford autoland and was told I needed to pay to have some switch or module replaced cost over $400 dollars. Had the repairs completed and now 18 months later same problem and I am told I have to pay another $400 to fix same problem.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jul 202006

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

Since having my 2002 Ford Escape, I have had ongoing problems with my airbag light staying on. On occasion it goes off, but always comes back on again. The problem began within a few months of purchasing my Escape and took 4+ visits to rectify. The problem resurfaced again last year. I was recently quoted $400 to get this fixed. It seems unreasonable to have to pay so much money to get this fixed when there is a clear pattern of it being a problem with Escapes, and is an issue that is not related to driver recklessness or usage patterns.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 032006

Escape

Small impact under 5 miles per hour and my air bags deployed. No damage to my car at all. Was having a problem for a year with my SRS air bag light coming on. Took it to Ford several times and nothing resolved the issue. Seems that the sensor was not working properly and my air bags should not have deployed. Ford will not cover the "high" cost of replacing the air bags under warranty. Dealer was shocked that there was no damage at all to my car and the air bags deployed.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Jan 182006

Escape 6-cyl

Car lost control coming toward me, she went into my lane sideways. I T-boned her on her passenger side of vehicle. Seat belt saved my life, but the airbags were of no use. Why don't the airbags deploy on these vehicles. If I had been traveling at a much faster speed or her, I probably would have been seriously hurt or killed.

- Peru, IN, USA

Feb 202003

Escape 6-cyl

The consumer noticed that the SRS light appeared on the dashboard and remained on. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The mechanic informed the driver that the sensor needed to be replaced. The sensor had already been replaced six times.

- Rancho Mirage, CA, USA

Sep 132004

Escape 6-cyl

Steering column. His vehicle was involved in a front end collision. The air bags deployed and the steering column completely detached from the dash. I am unaware if this caused further injury to the operator. I am a licensed auto damage appraiser and thought this to be very unusual and potentially unsafe.

- Boston, MA, USA

Aug 102004

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle suddenly surged forward. Vehicle is currently at the police garage waiting to be investigated. The consumer was pulling into his driveway, put the vehicle in park and pulled up the emergency brake. The consumer exited the vehicle to retrieve her mail and got back into the vehicle. The consumer put the emergency brake down and proceed to shift the vehicle into drive. When the vehicle was shifted into drive the vehicle accelerated suddenly and could not be stopped, not even by applying the brake. The vehicle went through a garage wall, through a utility room and came out the back of the house and hit a small tree. The air bag did not deploy. The car was totaled.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Apr 222004

Escape

While driving 45 mph vehicle stalled. Consumer was able to start vehicle and drove it home. The next day, vehicle would not start. Consumer had the vehicle towed to the dealer for inspection, and mechanic replaced the battery. Driver informed the mechanic that the air bag light appeared on the dashboard and remained on after the battery was replaced.

- Austin, TX, USA