Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Escape:

Dec 102003

Escape

Within one month of purchasing the vehicle (2002 Ford Escape) the vehicle experienced problems with the brakes. (see ODI #10051805 for information regarding 1998 Ford Ranger complaint). The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer three times for the same vibration problem, but the dealer continued to state there was no problem, after about a year they finally noticed that the tires were cupping on the rear, it was finally determined that the problem was due to the to the alignment of the front and rear which caused the vehicle to need new tires. Also the air bag light illuminated on the dashboard.

- Portland, TX, USA

Nov 072003

Escape

The airbag light illuminated and stayed on. Took vehicle to dealer, and they replaced something on the passenger side. Air bag light went off, but months later it was on again.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 122003

Escape

When consumer's vehicle was hit in the front center of vehicle air bags did not deploy, causing minor injuries to consumer. Dealer notified.

- Bloomsburg, PA, USA

Jun 072003

Escape

My air bag light keeps coming on. Informed by the dealer today that this is a known defect. It is due to "rain water getting on a sensor". the entire drivers side front quarter panel will have to be removed to fix the problem. The part will be ordered and I'll take the car back for repairs.

- Raymond, MS, USA

Nov 232002

Escape

On my new Ford Escape 2002 bought 8-2002. My gas pedal stuck, my brakes were leaking fluid my ignition has broke. My passanger side rear door will not open or close properly and has opened while the vehicle is in motion. There is a vibration in my left front end and my air bag warning light stays on at times my driver side saftey restraint has sheared and had to be replaced

- Chehalis, WA, USA

Sep 272002

Escape

On 9/27/02 I was involved in a collision where I ran a stop sign and "T-boned" a passing car that was traveling through the intersection. My 2002 Escape was totaled - the front end completely collapsed. Every officer, paramedic, and fireman was amazed that the air bag failed to deploy. They all instructed me to contact the manufacturer regarding this matter. As this is my second Escape (the first one sucked a valve within the first week of ownership), I will no longer trust Ford to provide a safe mode of transportation for myself or my family members.

- Upland, CA, USA

Feb 012002

Escape

After new sensor installed for airbag, another electrical component had an error.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 112001

Escape

Engine stalled while driving downhill. Was either braking or decelerating by letting up on gas. Check engine, airbag, and possibly oil lights came on. Power steering and brakes failed. Was able to pull off the road and stop vehicle with hand brake. Shifted vehicle into park and restarted. Had been driving for approx. 1/2 hour (15 miles). Weather was cool and clear.

- San Diego, CA, USA