Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Escape:

Jun 152015

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. While driving at 15 mph, the vehicle independently veered to the right. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that the front passenger tire leaned outwards. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the subframe fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V165000 (structure). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Jun 122015

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V165000 (structure). The contact brought the vehicle to dealer for the recall remedy. The mechanic stated that the vehicle was unsafe to operate because the subframe was extremely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 143,000.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Jun 052015

Escape

The right rear passenger wheel well rusted out, causing the sudden dislocation/breaking of the shock mount which in turned caused damage to my tire, and wore through the interior of the car. The damage is extensive and upon researching the issue, it appears that this exact thing has happened (only on the right rear side of the vehicle) to thousands of 2004/2005/2006 Escapes. This has been a known issue since at least 20011/2012 and is a dangerous defect that is usually not cost effective to fix, based on the mileage of the cars at the time of the problem. Because the left rear does not experience this issue, it must be a defect in manufacturing and Ford really needs to step up and offer a recall to fix it as well as reimbursing owners who've experienced the problem and chosen to do repairs to a vehicle in otherwise great running order.

- Taylor, MI, USA

May 012015

Escape

Right rear wheel well completely rusted out and shock mount which was bolted to it fell and is hanging next to and on the wheel along with a ball of sharp twisted metal from the wheel well. Heard noises from back of car past month or so but thought it was something in the cargo compartment. Then went over pothole and loud bang like the exhaust pipe fell and was dragging. Then a burning rubber smell. The metal piece is about to pierce the tire and the shock itself is hanging and banging against tire. Car is undrivable and may be unfixable in that the fix would be worth more than the car. I of course can not get another car right now due to financial reasons so without a car now because of this. The other wheel wells seem fine, no rust. Though there is a few rust spots on the bottom of the running boards and one of the doors (which there should not be in this day and age any rust) to have this immense amount of rust only in one well tells me something is wrong with the design or the paint job at the factory. If a tire blows out it could kill someone traveling at highway speeds in an SUV. This is a defect, not aging. Needs to be a recall. Though the car is 11 I have less than 90,000 on it. I should not have to trash the car due to body rot at 90,000. If this was due to aging or weather all the wheel wells would be like this.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

May 152015

Escape

Rear passenger wheel well where the shock mounts to the body is completely rusted out and detached from the upper body of the vehicle. I was traveling on the interstate at about 65mph when this piece broke loose from the rest of the body. This is very dangerous, and almost caused me a serious accident on a busy highway. There are hundreds of other complaints filed just in this database alone with the same exact issue, rust/corrosion of the rear passenger wheel well where the shock mounts to the body. The Ford dealership that I had my vehicle towed to told us that they have recently seen 4 or 5 other Escapes that have the same exact issue. Please investigate, this is a serious safety concern.

- Milan, IN, USA

Mar 182015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving and the rear end of the truck sounded like it was falling apart. When I stopped and looked the passenger side rear wheel well was completely rotted out and the metal plate that holds the shock in place was hanging and banging around. The left side is completely intact. I took it to causeway collision to look at it and they said its a defect and probably not fixable. The truck has high mileage but runs great.

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Jan 062015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. While driving at approximately 40 mph, there was a loud noise emerging from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the rear passenger strap mount was rusted and the rear passenger wheel well needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 121,000. Updated 6/8/15 the consumer stated the rear passenger side wheel well rusted and created a big hole, which caused the top stress mount to fall down. Updated 06/11/15

- Jones, MI, USA

Apr 102015

Escape 6-cyl

Had been noticing noises when I drove over bumps and rough surfaces coming from the back right side of the vehicle. I hit an unavoidable hole in the road today and heard a loud thump from the rear right side of the vehicle. I proceeded to my sister's house where my brother in-law checked the vehicle and found that the strut/shock had broke through the horribly rusted wheel well and was hitting the underside of the plastic wheel well cover. This could have been a disaster had it happened a few days ago while I was on the freeway. I have an appointment to take the vehicle in to see if it can be fixed. In the mean time I have no vehicle to drive as it is not drivable. I see from numerous complaints that this is a continuing problem with this vehicle. Why is Ford not being held accountable for this issue? I may have to get another vehicle that I am not prepared to do. This is a safety issue that I feel should be addressed.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Mar 282015

Escape

Passenger (right) rear wheel well rusted through, causing the strut to detach.

- Ridley Park, PA, USA

Mar 012006

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. While driving at 30 mph, the contact heard a noise coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that the air bag and seat belts warning lights illuminated and the front driver side seat belt failed to retract. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the rear passenger inner fender well corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was also taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the seat belt pretensioner connectors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,000.

Mar 012010

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Air bag light is continually on for many years - feel a safety issue I haven't received a recall notice on the airbags no crash rear inner fender wells rust through on 2004 Ford Escape models according to dealership- manufacturer issue - would like replaced - safety issue my entire family owns Ford vehicles. My father retired from Ford, canton, Ohio we have always been proud to be Ford owners.

Mar 162015

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel turned independently with a loud abnormal noise. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who stated that the passenger side control arm separated and the entire frame would need to be replaced. The failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V165000 (structure). The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Mar 102015

Escape

While driving on a rough road I noticed a rattling in the rear compartment that I had never heard before. When I investigated I found the right rear wheel well had disintegrated from rust damage and the shock is now floating basically freely which is causing the noise. I am concerned for the safety and handling of the vehicle at this point. This seems to be a very common issue with Escapes and always the right rear wheel well. Why has Ford not issued a recall? this is clearly a systematic failure.

Mar 132015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The car started to ride rough over small bumps and a thumping sound could be heard from the right rear wheel well. Thinking I needed new shocks I inspected the wheel well and was horrified to see that the wheel well holding the shock was completely rusted away. There is a hole where the steel used to be. This is only on the right rear wheel well as far as I can see. A local auto body shop will not fix it because of the safety liability and warned me not to drive the car. The car is unsafe and I am at a loss as to what to do with it. After doing some searching I have found many Ford Escapes with the same exact problem. Apparently this is a design defect that Ford knows about and should be responsible for. Had I driven the car a little longer I could have been in a catastrophic crash! Ford needs to fix this or replace my car.

- Matawan, NJ, USA

Feb 072015

Escape

I purchased a 2004 Escape a little over a year ago. My cousin had the same car. We both had to take a few thousand loss and sell these vehicles due to severe, unsafe wheel well rust.not to mention catalytic converters on both cars were bad. Two on each Escape. I was ready to do repairs, until a friend with the same Escape had just repaired the body in his for the same issue. So we all took loss. Who is responsible for this?? I had family that worked, and retired from Ford. I had several Ford's over the years. This has put me in a hole..bought it for 6,000. Just gave it away for 1,000. Help.

- Richfield, OH, USA

Feb 092015

Escape

2nd Escape I've owned that has had the rear right wheel well rust out, shock breaks loose. Ford saying it has never heard of it, and yet every dealer and body shop I've talked to knows all about it. This should be a recall, faulty part.

- Highland, MI, USA

Dec 172014

Escape

While driving to my home went over a small dip in road and SUV made a very load clunking noise in right rear section of vehicle and started handling poorly got it to my parents home which is only few minutes from incident, father looked at and found right rear strut mount and wheel tub rusted out under a thick layer of sound deadening material applied at factory making it nearly impossible to see until it breaks free, father has been a mechanic all his life and tried to get pieces at local salvage yards to repair but found all in a 50 mile radius at salvage yards from years 2001-2007 to be in as bad or worse condition and is currently looking for parts on line out of the rustbelt, I believe if it had happened on a twisty road it could have been a bigger problem fortunately it was a fairly level straight road I can only assume there isn't an investigation on these is that most people don't now where to go to file a complaint I only new to go here because my father told me too, as he believes it to be a major design flaw that may or could lead to injuries

- Frewsburg, NY, USA

Dec 302013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

When driving home on 12/30/14, I heard a loud rattle coming from the right rear of the vehicle. I looked in the rear passenger wheel well and noticed that there was a lot of rust. I did not drive it again until I took it to my mechanic to have it inspected on 1/6/15. He informed me that the wheel well was rusted and the strut could break loose. He also informed me that he had never seen a vehicle do this. I was also informed that it is a safety issue and I should not drive the vehicle until it is fixed. He also checked to see if anyone in the area would be able to fix it since he is not equipped to do so. No luck with that. After seeing how many people are having this same issue with their Ford Escape, I would expect that the Ford company would do the right thing, take responsibility for the defect and make it right. I am prepared to follow through to have this matter taken care of, even if I have to take it to lansing and Washington.

- Jones, MI, USA

Dec 302014

Escape 6-cyl

Another case of a 2004 Ford Escape with extensive right rear wheel well rust putting the strut in danger of coming through the body. I'm currently trying to figure out how and where to get it repaired. This seems to be a flaw in the design of the product. While one would hope Ford would step up I'm not seeing anything on their part so far.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 262014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle when I started hearing a loud thumping noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. Upon inspection I discovered there was rust inside the rear passenger wheel well and that the shock mount was unattached from the vehicle.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA