Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Escape:

Aug 022016

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 50 mph, the shock absorber entered the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the shock mount needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Clyde, OH, USA

Jul 012016

Escape

Had a recall from Ford shortly after buyiny car in 2014 about subframe rust.Ford said they fixed problem.about a year later the subframe broke complexly making frone wheel wobble and pull to right I went off the road into some brush before I got control of car!!I made it home and saw the (fix)a piece of flat steel holding left frame to right not a repair at need to replace complete sub frame.Ford blamed it on dealer.dealer will not speak to me about it.I also had promlem with right rear shock coming up through floor no recall on that.lucky no injury or death.

- Centerville, MA, USA

Jun 012016

Escape

The right rear suspension system disintegrated requiring $1,300 for body shop repair. This apparently occurs regularly on this type of vehicle.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 292016

Escape

Vehicle steering has become unstable and wobbly. Took it to the shop to check on the alignment, and was told the entire subframe has corroded. I found a recall for this issue, but apparently my VIN was not included in the recall, even though it has the same issue.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Mar 112016

Escape

Right rear wheel well is totally rusted through, left side slightly started rusting, causing shocks to break free from frame

- Appleton, WI, USA

Mar 112016

Escape

The wheel well on the right rear side of car completely rusted out causing my shock to be free in my car. Ford will not fix it and it is a serious issue. A quick search will reveal at least 96 other complaints of the exact same issue in the exact same area of the vehicle

- Kalispell, MT, USA

Feb 162016

Escape

My rear shock mount tower is rusted out and baning it is ready to come up through the interior.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Jan 012016

Escape

The frame around the rear suspension is rusted out (through) the rear shock is not connected to anything. Is there a recall on this ? I know the vehicle is old but I have never heard of this on even older vehicles.

- Evans City, PA, USA

Feb 102016

Escape

Engine cradle, part of the frame is under recall, is broke. Dealer applied "band-aid" manufacturer declines to replace broken cross-member, even though it is under recall. Recall #14V165000

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 292016

Escape

I just purchased a used 2004 Ford Escape XLT with only 45,000 miles on it (12 years old, 45,000¿what I thought was a diamond in the rough). It had undercoating to protect from rust when it was new. Very well taken care of, like new inside! so imagine my surprise after driving it 2 months when the passenger side rear wheel well started falling apart (wasn't like that when I bought it). Within a 3 week span it was almost completely destroyed. Again it was protected with undercoating and still rusted out all those years in a garage being barely driven!!! I asked about getting both sides done while it's in the shop and mechanic said the driver side rear well was fine and in good shape, almost no rust at all. Ford stocks only the passenger wheel well, not the driver side. This is obviously a known manufacturing failure/substandard part that Ford doesn't want to own beyond selling you the replacement part. I'm losing appreciation for "american made" values. This one is especially upsetting because it's a brand I previously held in high regard. This easily could have been dangerous at high speeds on my trips.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Nov 232015

Escape

Right rear fender well rusted away showing inside of trunk liner and making loud banging noises

- Lisbon, IA, USA

Dec 022015

Escape

Shock frame support on right rear side completely rusted out making vehicle unsafe to drive along with entire area rusting out prematurely. I can see the outside thru my speaker grill. How could this not be a safety recall when it is clearly a Ford defect? repair quotes in the $2000- $2500 range.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 122015

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. While driving at an unknown speed over a bump in the road, the vehicle emitted a clucking noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, which indicated that the front suspension bar was fractured. The front suspension bar was replaced. The contact also stated that the brake lines also failed due to corrosion. The brake lines were replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 125,715...updated 02/01/16

- Sears, MI, USA

Sep 012015

Escape

Right side rear shock absorber tower rusted out

- Hanover Park, IL, USA

Aug 122015

Escape

Right rear wheel well rusted through and the shock and spring punched through the body of the car. Highly dangerous, as our children and my wife drive the car, but the only indication that this occurred was an occasional loud noise (mimicking a shock absorber bottoming out). Until I inspected the vehicle, nothing else, such as handling or other factors warned of the dire situation. For instance, my wife travels back and fourth to her parents via a busy highway covering about 50-60 miles multiple times a week and this could have caused a fatal crash. My guess if we have been driving on this based on the occasional noise for 2 months.

- Pepper Pike, OH, USA

Sep 052015

Escape

Ford's 14S02 recall was to deal with excessive rust on a subframe unit. If the recall inspection of the subframe did not result in characteristics warranting replacement, Ford instructed dealers to install a cross brace. Approximately 13 months after our 2004 Ford Escape had the cross brace installed the subframe unit failed while we were driving. The car violently jerked to the side and if there had been another car or any obstacle on that side of our vehicle we would have hit it. I contacted Ford several times and on each occasion was told Ford would not cover the cost of the repairs because they had already installed the cross brace - which was not the part that failed and was not the part for which the recall was initiated. The repair cost over $800. At the time of the incident the Escape had fewer than 60,000 miles. During each on my calls to Ford, and after being told Ford would not cover the repair costs, I asked to speak with a supervisor. Each time I was told they could have a supervisor call me 1 business day later, but they would not give me a time when I could expect the call so I had to be available at any time throughout the day. To summarize, the band-aid Ford put on to deal with the subframe problem (the cross brace) did not fail. The part for which the recall was initiated did fail even with the cross brace. Ford is denying coverage for the repair costs.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Aug 122015

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact noticed that the front passenger side subframe was separated from the lower control arm. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the failure listed in NHTSA campaign number: 14V165000 (structure); however, the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Warsdw, NY, USA

Aug 052015

Escape

I was driving down the road and the shock and wheel detached due to the corrosion of the back of the frame.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Aug 072015

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear passenger side shock tower completely rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 111,200.

- Taylor, MI, USA