Sep 192013

Escape 4-cyl

On Thursday 9/19, my wife was leaving work in our 2009 Ford Escape when after a few minutes it lost all throttle response and stalled on the road. After shutting off the car and restarting, she was able to drive it again for a few miles before the same thing happened. Luckily we were close to a local Ford dealer and were able to guide it there after another couple of stalling incidents. It turns out that the electronic throttle body was stuck open (code P2111) and needed to be replaced at a cost of over $500. The service advisor mentioned that this is a very common problem with the Escapes and that many of the original parts have failed but the newer parts are much more reliable. I found a petition online which alerted me to the fact that this is a widespread problem. www.ncconsumer.org/news%20articles/nccc%20petitions%20nhtsa%20for%20defect%20investigation%20into%20ford%20escape%20vehicles.html

- Durham, NC, USA

Sep 202013

Escape

Several times, driving at high speeds, lost complete control of acceleration. Engine throttle revved but pushing pedal made no difference. One occasion we almost wrecked at high speed. The car remains on, but acceleration pedal does nothing. Turn car off, turn back on and it works fine. Has happened in park, slow speeds and high speeds. Ford won't do anything. Please help!

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Sep 222013

Escape

I was driving at 30 mph while driving the car, the power train light came on and the car stall and loss power. I stepped on the gas pedal and nothing happened. I had to stop, put the car on parking, turn it off then turn it back on and then the car function perfectly. This is not the first time that same thing happens.

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

Sep 212013

Escape

The wrence illuminator came on and then the care stalled.

- Sterling Heights , MI, USA

Sep 222013

Escape

After waiting at a red light, my vehicle travelled about 100 yards. The engine shuttered, accelerator pedal was unresponsive, and the engine rpms dropped to 900. I pulled to the side of the road and turned off the car then restarted it. Everything was fine, except for my confidence, for the next 6 miles. While driving 45 mph, the engine shuttered, wrench light and check engine light illuminated, and rpms immediately dropped. Same unresponsive accelerator pedal. I then put the car in neutral and coasted to a side road. I turned the car off and waited a couple of minutes, enough time to call my wife and let her know to be ready to come pick me up if my car wouldn't make it home. I restarted the car and 7 miles later I was home with no problems. I have not been to a mechanic or called Ford or anything of that nature as this has just occurred within the last couple of hours.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

Sep 192013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was driving on the highway when the vehicle abruptly shut down in a high traffic metro area as an orange wrench light appeared on the dash. After resting on the shoulder for a minute and speaking with me (her husband), I asked her to try and start the vehicle again. It started back up as normal with the orange wrench light now not showing. The car ran as normal for about 10 minutes and then it happened again. She was able to get the car home safely. The next day I took a look at the car, did some research, and drove it around for awhile. The car ran fine for about 15 minutes until it occurred again. Apparently the orange wrench light means there is an issue with either the power train or the throttle box. The vehicle shifts gears as normal so I am left to believe there is an issue with the throttle box (as I have read many complaints regarding this exact same issue with the 2009 Ford Escape).

- Hudson, WI, USA

Sep 092013

Escape 6-cyl

The above affected parts field will not let me choose a part. We were driving on the freeway and suddenly the vehicle lost power - we had to go to the side of the road. The power was still on in the car but the accelerator would not work. We turned off the car and then started it again and was able to drive again. This happened on three separate occasions. The wrench light came on in the car and the book said throttle/drive train problems. We consulted a couple of dealerships and we since found out that indeed these vehicles are having throttle/accelerator problems. Parts are hard to find on a waiting list. There should be a recall on this to fix it. We are now going to fix the problem and save the receipt. We feel we should get our money back. This is a very serious, potential safety issue. Thank you.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Sep 142012

Escape 6-cyl

We have had this vehicle in for service many times to try and find out why it often will hesitate to accelerate. Recently it has begun to stall while driving. This has happened numerous times and without warning and at various speeds. Luckily we have been able to avoid an accident. Tonight when it happened the car stalled and the power train throttle control light came on. After the stall we put the car in park, then restarted it. We were able to drive to safety but the car was not driving smoothly.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Sep 112013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving at 40 mph and the throttle control/powertrain light came on. There was some jerking, a loss of power and I coasted to the curve. I turned the car off, restarted and drove maybe 2 miles, the light came back on and there was a loss of power again. This happen 4 times and I was able to make it back home. I just had a complete fuel system cleaning that was supposed to clean the throttle on August 14, 2013. I thought I was having maintenance done to prevent my car from malfunctioning. This is the 1st time the throttle light has come on. This is dangerous and I see that other drivers with the Ford Escape are have the same type of problems. Please make Ford motors address this problem.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

May 112013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the highway to our vacation, my car felt like it was surging and the engine light came on. I took my car to the local Ford dealership and the diagnoses code was P0012 and P0022. Both vct solenoids were replaced. My 4 yr old car was still under warranty at the time. 2nd incident took place Sunday, 09/08/2013. Was driving at 45 mph and my car cut off!!! no lights came on until the engine stopped, and at that time the oil & battery lights came on. I was barely able to coast into the median. My local Ford dealership could not see me until this Thursday, 09/12/2013. So the problem has not been diagnosed at this time. I have been told by 2 Ford dealerships that it sounds like the full throttle body. Very scary & very, very dangerous!!! I am not driving my car. Mileage is 34,791. This needs to be recalled before someone gets killed. I sent an email to Ford customer complaints &have not heard back. My car is 4 yrs old & has had 2 major incidents that could have caused major accidents.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Jun 042013

Escape 6-cyl

Intermittently..sometimes a week apart and then got worse..the car quit moving due to the throttle body code P2111. The engine had to be turned off and car restarted after coasting to a safe spot. I was told at the dealership that they could not get the part as over 5000 were back ordered nationally. Eventually in September I got the part and car fixed. It is interesting to note that the part has been redesigned and costs less now. I have read and heard many similar stories about this part..the dealership says there will surely be a recall as they are small dealership and they are even seeing quite a bit of this. I hope someone does not have to be killed before something is done. Thanks for accepting input.

- Pendleton, IN, USA

Aug 202013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway when suddenly my Ford Escape began shaking and felt as if something fell out from under it (speed at this time was 55 mph). I lost gas pedal responsiveness. I coasted into a parking lot. The check engine light was on. It was spitting and sputtering. I sat there a few minutes, put it in gear, and pressed the gas pedal. It was as if the gas pedal was not being applied at all. I called my husband who suggested I put it in park, turn off the switch, and he would tell me when to restart the engine. When I started it back up the check engine light was on but it drove like nothing had happened. I had a diagnostic test ran (not at a Ford co.). no problems were detected and the light went off later. I had no more problems until 8/20/2013. The powertrain warning light came on. I was on the way to the local Ford service center. I had to coast to the side of the road multiple times, stop, put the vehicle in park, turn it off, and restart the engine. I had to do this at least 35-40 times enroute to the service center which was only 3 miles from my starting point (speed was 5 mph-45 mph). I got to the service center, parked the vehicle, and walked in. Service tech asked if he could help me. I said, "I'm having problems with my car shaking and loosing power. It's like it's in neutral. The check engine light is on and the powertrain light came on. I coast to the side of the road, put it in park, turn it off, and restart it. Then I can go again." The service tech said, "your vehicle is either a Ford Explorer or a Ford Escape." I said, "that tells me this happens a lot. It's an Escape. Is there a recall on it"" he said, "no." I said, "I have an extended warranty on my vehicle check to see if the problem is covered"" he checked and said, "you have coverage (warranty is 72/100,000 cpo powertraincare wty w/roadside) but it doesn't cover the problem."

- Morehead City, NC, USA

Sep 092013

Escape 6-cyl

I drove at a constant speed (approx 30-35 mph) and all of a sudden wrench light came on and I could not accelerate. Rpms did weird things, gas pedal didn't do anything, putting it in neutral in a drift down speed did nothing, park did nothing. Engine never stopped, ac and radio worked...just couldn't accelerate. I finally made it to the side of the road, put it in park and shut off the engine. Started it again (started right up), light was gone and vehicle ran fine the rest of the way home. Was very dangerous because I lost power in an intersection. Scary because my 7 year old was with me.

- Hillsboro, MO, USA

Aug 212013

Escape 4-cyl

Since I purchased my 2009 Ford Escape in November 2011, my car would occasionally just as I began to move after a stop sign or make a turn after stopping. About a year ago, my car had stalled in the middle of a street with the electricity out. This August, the car completely stalled (the electricity was still on) an onramp to interstate 81. I was able to restart it and attempt to go home, but when I turned left after stopping at a light, the car stalled again. The local Ford dealership said, " verified concern, pulled code P2112 throttle body stuck closed, performed all of the pinpoint tests and the throttle body failed the functionality test, removed air tube and found the throttle is very slow to respond to commands."

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Sep 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Randomly the orange wrench light will come on and the car will lose power and shut off. I have to stop the car and then it restarts. This has happened in the middle of a freeway and was lucky to get to the side pull off. Very random as it once happened twice in a day and then again a week later. This has been a recurring problem in multiple Ford in doing research on line. Why has this not been recalled? problem seems to be the throttle body. Very dangerous. I have car at the dealership now and waiting their response.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Aug 272013

Escape

On August 16 I was driving into work on the highway when all of a sudden my Ford Escape lost gas pedal responsiveness and the power train warning light came on. I coasted to the side of the road and stopped. Restarted and everything was ok. Took it into my mechanic the next day and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Over the next week the same issue happened 5 more times in random places while driving. Each of these times it would make a sudden shake and then the engine light would come on, gas pedal won't work till I stopped and restarted the engine. I was unable to take it back to my mechanic till the end of the following week and was hoping I could survive till then but on August 27 while I was turning left in a busy intersection it happened again. The person behind me rear ended me causing major damage to their car and minor damage to mine. I was luckily able to get out of the intersection by slowly inching across it with everyone honking at me. That was the final straw. I did some research online and figured out that this was actually a known problem with an open investigation (PE13003) and multiple known complaints. My mechanic confirmed that my research was right when he ran a diagnostic check and got error code P2112. He replaced the throttle body for $650. This is a serious issue that caused an accident. Ford needs to issue a recall before someone gets seriously injured or killed.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Sep 052013

Escape

I was driving down the street and stopped at a stop sign. My car began to sputter a bit then lost power - did not shut off completely but the gas pedal would not respond. Wrench light came on. Shut the car off and started it back up again without a problem. About a 1/4 mile down the road, same thing happened and check engine light came on. I was low on gas, so I thought that might be the problem. Filled the tank the next morning and the check engine light went off, drove fine to work. Left work, went to pick my son up, and on the way home (about an hour of driving), the car did the same thing it had done before. This time, I was going a lot faster and in the middle of traffic. Very scary and very dangerous. It took me about 6 times of shutting the car off and starting it up again to get home (which was only about 4 miles away).

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Sep 042013

Escape 6-cyl

On the morning of Sept 4, 2013- I was making a turn at about 20 miles an hour. I had just about completed the turn when I was engaging the gas peddle to continue on, but the car was running and it wasn't going. I was able to coast off the road. I turned the car off. I started the car back up and had power from the peddle again, so I proceeded up the street only to have the same thing happen to me again, as I was turning at the next very busy intersection. I was lucky that there happened to be a gas station on the right side of the road. I pulled in and turned the car off. I contacted the Ford dealership where I purchased my car to have them come tow my vehicle, and verify the reason for the incidents. I was informed that it is the throttle body, and it will need to be replaced. The part is on back order, but I am paying an extra fee to have it expedited. I am very lucky that on both times this happened, another vehicle was not right behind me, because I would have been rear ended and possibly injured.

- Greenwood , IN, USA

Aug 312013

Escape

We were driving along at a steady pace of 60 mph all of sudden there was a shudder felt by everyone in the vehicle and the wrench light came on. The car would not accelerate and dropped speed very quickly, and also making a jerking motion. Luckily, there was no one behind us, we pulled over to the side of the road, and shut off the vehicle. Popped the hood to see what was wrong and could not find anything. We turned the car back on and the wrench light was on and the vehicle ran just fine. Doing research online found that this is a throttle body issue. I just want to say that if this would have happened while someone was behind us, there would have been an accident as we would have been rear ended. Something should be done about this.

- Slayton, MN, USA

Sep 012013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving home with family on Sept 1st, 2013, our 2009 Ford Escape decelerated quite rapidly from 45-50 mph to 0 mph within 10 seconds and wrench warning light came on. We were able to safely pull over and turn off engine. We waited a minute and it started back up again (no wrench warning light was no longer on) and we were able to make it home. It appears to be a faulty throttle body.

- West Linn, OR, USA