May 312013

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced however, the dealer stated that the part was not available because it was being re-manufactured. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 07/23/13

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Nov 152012

Escape

While driving on a busy highway my car stalls out and shuts off forcing me to pull over and turn the key to off position, waiting several minutes before allowing me to turn the car back on and having to rev the engine for it to turn completely over. A couple miles down the road while coming to a stop or slowing to a stop the car does this again. This will happen about 4 times a day while driving and will happen for about 2-3 days, then will run like it should without incident. About 4-5 months later it will start up again, while driving the car will stall out and this happens several times a day while driving, for a few days. I've taken the car to autoshops to try and figure out the issue and no one seems to be able to detect the problem. This not only is scary, but extremely dangerous.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

May 302013

Escape

We had seen some issues with power when accelerating, but was minor until May 30th, 2013. We were driving in stop and go traffic and when I accelerated the engine "bogged down" and didn't accelerate. The car wouldn't move forward. We had just filled up and originally believed it was bad gas. It happened about 4 more times as we got home (engine light was on and little wrench icon shows up on bottom left of dash when the problem occurs). It did this about 5 more times on our drive home. I took it to the local Ford dealer which informed me that the throttle body was bad and needed replaced. I then googled: Throttle 2009. The first thing that appeared was the Ford Escape and the articles described what I was dealing with too. From what I can tell today, Ford is releasing a (new engineered designed) throttle body that should be available June 6th and I have to wait for so that I don't get another bad part. I find it ridiculous that they are basically admitting to producing a defective part, but I have to pay $400 to fix my car...while waiting a week for the new part to come in.

- Gladstone, MO, USA

May 152013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on a busy freeway in houston my car jerked, the wrench light lit up, then would no longer accelerate. I was able to get over the shoulder of the freeway, but the car would not move after that. It stayed on, but was bouncing up and down. I had to have my car towed off the freeway. Once towed, we turned the car off and back on and it ran fine. I took it to a local mechanic the next day and was told everything looked fine, I drove it the following day. On the freeway, it happened again. I immediately took it to the Ford dealership, where I was told the throttle body needs to be replaced, but this part is on national back order with no delivery date in sight. Ford has been giving me the run around since last week regarding the part and rental assistance. My husband and I were advised by a Ford service manager that the car is still "drivable, " however, the problem will happen again. He told us when it does, to simply turn the car off and back on and it should run fine for a short time. I expressed serious concern regarding this advice as houston streets and highways are extremely busy. To date, I have received no assistance and no more information on when this part will be available.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 282012

Escape

First incident occurred end of November, car stalled while traveling on rte 7 in ct. Brought the car to Ford where I was told the diagnostic box registered the issue was with the fuel sensors. The fuel sensors were replaced and the car had no issue until April. In April, car stalled again. I brought it to the dealer and the box did not register anything. Last week (May 21st), I left my office to go on lunch break and the car stalled 4X. I drove (?) the car straight to the dealer which is less than a mile away. The car registered that it was the throttle body issue. Since this is a well known issue with these cars, the part is back ordered with an unknown completion date. The dealer then cleaned out my current throttle body and told me that this was a temporary 3 mos fix. This morning 5/29, the car died again 4X on I-95. 2 of the 4X it stalled, I was in near accidents. This is a widely documented issue with Ford and it's incredible to me that there hasn't been a recall on these cars. This is a very serious safety issue.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

May 282013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle suddenly lost power, wrench icon and check engine light came on. Car lost all mobility and use of gas peddle. Luckily was on a street and not a highway. After turning the car on and off the car appeared to be working normally. Several minutes later the condition repeated itself, and then once again several minutes later after turning the car off and on again. Took car to get error code and returned a P2112 error code referencing the throttle body. This is an extremely dangerous defect, and could easily have caused a serious wreck if at high speed. Or intersection. Car is currently at the dealer.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 282013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving along when my vehicle began to sputter and stop. I was able to crank the vehicle up and drive a few feet before it started back up again, this time with the check engine light on. I was able to make it to an advanced auto parts store where they pulled the check engine error code and it indicated that it was an issue with the throttle body. I am able to drive it currently, but I am concerned that the throttle will stick just as I'm attempting to cross a busy intersection.

- Fairhope, AL, USA

May 262013

Escape 6-cyl

I drive a 2009 Ford Escape automatic with a V6 engine. On Sunday, May 26, 2013 at approximately 1:00 am, I was driving at 70 mph on interstate 10 West. Suddenly, I heard a single click sound. The wrench was illuminated on my dash board and the accelerator pedal stopped working. No matter what I did, nothing happened. I was terrified that I would be rear ended by the cars behind me for slowing down suddenly, so I put on my hazard lights and moved to the interstate median. I turned my truck off for a few minutes and then restarted it. I was able to proceed home with no further issue. This whole incident came with absolutely no warning. If a light indicating that service was needed, I could have avoided this nightmare. I am now learning that there is a defect with this vehicle.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 122013

Escape 4-cyl

Truck failed to accelerate from a red light, with pedal completely engaged. Had continued loss power/thrust when I push the gas. This happens so often now, I am not comfortable driving in heavy traffic as I never know if I'll be able to accelerate. Sunday after finally getting home, I was unable to get it to stay cranked when I depress the gas pedal to reverse. This loss of power was exuberated by having the A/C running. First the timing cover leaks at 22, 761, then a pulley falls off the engine at 40,149 spraying oil all over my interior via the A/C. after the pulley was replaced the car would idle high and then started jerking as if it wanted to stall, took to Ford dealership and was told there were no codes, finally had the tech drive with me and he felt the jerking. After three visits for this, in November 2012 at 50,000 I was am told the coil pack needs to be replaced, now at 55, 063 miles I am told it is the throttle body that needs to be replaced" I think I was sold a lemon and in the state of Florida that's illegal. What if I am rear ended due to the horrible craftsmanship of your product"

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 012013

Escape 4-cyl

Entering interstate, car would not accelerate above 40 mph. Code reader says throttle control stuck open?

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Mar 152013

Escape 6-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph the vehicle stalled. Additionally, the vehicle surged suddenly while driving under 30 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the throttle body would had to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

May 112013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle there is frequent surging and stalling with eventual result in a nonresponsive gas pedal. The check wrench service light and the engine light were illuminated and the vehicle would become responsive again if the engine was turned off then back on. After restarting the vehicle would soon begin to surge and stall again.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Aug 312011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Fall of 2011, I noticed that my gas pedal was not always responsive. Coming off a stop or low speeds, the gas pedal would not respond until after I had pumped it and pressed it nearly to the floor, then my Escape would take off, squealing tires and all. I noticed it a couple times on the highway as well, slowing for a curve and then unable to promptly accelerate coming out of the curve. Then one day I was on the highway and the gas pedal was completely unresponsive, and my car just completely shut off. This was really bothering me because there were multiple times I felt like I was going to get hit when I couldn't accelerate out of an intersection. I took the vehicle back to hastings Ford, and after multiple appointments and keeping my vehicle for several days, they were unable to confirm or repair anything. I kept driving it for a while, the same issues still happening, and then after the second time the car shut off on the highway, and after consulting a relative who is a former Ford mechanic, I brought it to another dealership. They kept the car the max number of days they were allowed to without repairing anything, and found on the last day that it was a faulty throttle body. The replaced the throttle body but the issue still lingers. And I also feel a short vibration in the pedal nearly every time I accelerate from a slow or stop. I still do not feel the issue is fully resolved. I still consider my throttle body to be defective.

- Lexington, MN, USA

May 042013

Escape 6-cyl

Stopped at light, went to acceclerate to go on green light and had no acceleration. Turned vehicle off and it restarted, went immediately to Ford.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 232013

Escape 6-cyl

I was stopped at a red light and when the light turned green I pressed the accelerator but the engine seemed to have stalled. I did have slight forward momentum that was jerky and I was able to pull off to the side of the road. I turned the car off, sat for a few minutes, then tried to restart the car. The car did start and no warning lights were on the dashboard. I was able to drive to my subdivision without incident but once I turned into my neighborhood the car stalled again. The car was then towed to my Ford dealership where I was told the throttle needed to be replaced. Since the throttle is considered an electrical component it was not covered under the powertrain warranty. The bill was approximately $670. I was not told this was a common incident in my model and year of car.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Feb 112013

Escape

Vehicle stalled when attempting to accelerate after stopping at a light. Vehicle would move approximately 3 mph. Wrench symbol and engine symbol lit up in the display area. Drove (very slowly) vehicle into a parking lot. Shut off vehicle, restarted it, and did not get engine "rev" when depressing gas pedal. Approximately 30 minutes later, the vehicle started and operated normally. Had vehicle towed to repair shop (didn't trust it to drive it). Shop inspected the vehicle in a number of ways the next day and could not reproduce or identify the problem. They said that the on-board event recorder did not record an event. That was the first incident. The 2nd and 3rd incidents occurred today, April 24 2013. Vehicle again stalled while attempting to accelerate at an intersection. Wrench symbol and engine symbol lit up in display area. Pulled into a parking lot, shut off vehicle, and then it started again and ran. About 2 minutes later, the vehicle stalled while driving approximately 40 mph. Again pulled off the main road and restarted the vehicle. Was able to drive it the remaining 3-5 minutes to get home.

- Murphy, TX, USA

Apr 282010

Escape

While driving down the highway, 45mph zone, I noticed the accelerator was having no effect, however the tach was still showing the engine running. I coasted off the road and while the engine was running it was not connected to the transmission. As I do with my computer, I turned off the car waited a short while and turned it back on......everything seemed to work fine, but of course I took it to Ford as soon as possible. It was diagnosed as a throttle body assemble malfunction and was repaired under warranty. It has happened twice since then, the last one being out of warranty and costing me 1000 dollars. Three throttle body assembles in a car not 4 yrs old with still less than 30000 miles on it.

- Naples, FL, USA

Apr 182012

Escape 6-cyl

Pulled out onto a very busy secondary roadway...applied pressure to the accelerator and it just sat there while oncoming traffic closed in on me. This was the first of many hesitations that nearly got me killed. To make it worse...when power comes back it comes back so fast it throws you back in the seat...actually burning rubber. After a year of intermittent problems with this I took it into Ford dealership and they diagnosed a faulty throttle body....trouble code P2112. Since this is a safety issue and had nothing to do with routine maintenance I expected Ford to take care of it. They want to charge me $400 dollars to fix a problem they created with substandard parts.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Dec 102012

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated the vehicle accelerated several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on several occasions and they were unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated and slowed down rapidly on several occasions, but never stalled. The failure mileage was 68,000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Car stalled while moving forward after backing out of parking space. Car had operated for 15 minutes before pulling into space, then immediately backing out without stopping engine. For approximately a year and one half yellow service engine light intermittently comes on then goes off after few driving cycles. Car also hesitates and jerks during acceleration randomly and frequently. Service dept of used car dealer where purchased car has detected no defects and has not replicated problem when car left at shop.

- Vestavia Hills, AL, USA