Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

Aug 222018

Escape

This is the 5th time this has happened. Once I was on the freeway and it just stopped. Each time I have taken it to the dealer that I bought the car from and each time they assure me that mine is an isolated incident and that Ford is unaware of anyone else with this issue. Without warning you are driving along and the warning comes on for overheated engine and then the shut off happens. I want Ford to acknowledge the problem and come up with a solution. Today the service writer looked at all of the previous times and said "we may have a problem"! Duh!!!!!

Update from Sep 12, 2018: I misspoke in your initial complain it was really the 6th time this has happened. Today the dealership replaced the sensor. They do not have any idea if that will help but they are out of ideas. I turned to Ford to do a a buy back but was informed that the Lemon Law did not apply because it was over the 1 year mark (even though it happened twice during the first year). I have no confidence in this as solution.

- Amy M., Saint George, UT, US

Jul 012017

Escape S 1.6L Ecoboost

false overheat & safety engine shut-down

Ford really needs to fix this frequent issue of the Cylinder Head Temp Sensor (CHT) thinking that the vehicle is overheating and then it throws a code & kicks into "safety shut down" mode which abruptly shuts the engine down with no warning! It is VERY dangerous because if it happens when you are on highway or in heavy traffic you have little or no control or ability to accelerate to a safe area. This can happen randomly. I have had my vehicle in cool garage over night, then driven only 1 mile then it can happen. Or be driving at steady speed for 10 miles & it can happen. UGGHHHH!!!!! I brought to FORD Dealer & they said they bled coolant system as maybe it was air in system causing false read. Car was fine for couple months, then BAM it happened again. Coolant levels are always where they should be when this happens. I have read SEVERAL complaints/posts of many people having the same issues. Major defect in this design. This was my 1s Ford vehicle and will probably be my LAST! If this doesn't get resolved I may seriously look into a class action suit as clearly it is a widespread issue.

- Jayne B., Bristol, CT, US