8.6

Most common solutions:

2. replace fuel sensor (2 reports)
  3. replaced coolant bypass valve (2 reports)
  4. wiring harness repair (2 reports)
  5. repaired main wiring harness (1 reports)
  6. replace electronic throttle body (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Oct 142016

Escape SEL

I had the car for only two months. While driving on the highway to a weekend getaway in my same state, the engine light came on, warnings came on, the engine cut out. Right on the highway. I pulled over, letting the vehicle cool off. I started it again after about an hour and continued to my friends. We popped the hood and looked at the coolant overflow bucket. It was a hair under the minimum amount. I mean literally, a hair. We tried to put coolant in, but the fixed bonnet over the engine was a pain in the ASS! We had to remove the clips, then realized we still couldn't remove it, we needed the right size ratchet to remove the bolts. NOT A FUN DAY. Finally after my friend called AAA they were able to fill the coolant. I thought the dealership would have topped off the coolant??? I mean two months after buying it I had to top it off. It seemed to be fine after that and I guess the shut down is to prevent warping heads and blowing the engine. Still very upsetting. It happened again almost exactly a year later. I had just had the coolant checked the week before at a station. They said I was good to go. It must have not been under the minimum then. Same exact thing happened. I will be putting in another complaint.

- , Brimfield, US

Aug 082017

Escape LX 3.2L

Own a 2013 Ford Escape and have trouble starting the car after getting a full tank of gas. That issue has been going on since day 1 of owning the vehicle. In the past 8-12 months there is a low groaning noise that occurs randomly - the noise repeats a few times lasting for 5-6 seconds . . . stops . . . . and then repeats again . . . THEN - the engine just shuts off in the middle of driving ???

I have read about this on a few other posts on a few other websites " . . . Ford designed the main wiring harness route to clip to the transmission pan. To open the air box this wiring harness needs to be removed. If the mechanic is not careful to return the harness into the connector clips or if the plastic connector clips get broken (PLASTIC clips) the wiring harness can be ripped open causing the car to quit and your life put at risk . . . "

This is quite scary as my 17 year old drives this car and a stalled engine in the middle of traffic or the highway can be very dangerous . . . you can shift into neutral and start the engine while continuing to roll . . . however that is difficult for even an experienced driver to do in the middle of traffic. I am concerned that this is going to cause a serious issue, accident and/or injury, if it has not already.

Any feedback on issues with this would be appreciated . . . .

- , Longwood, US

May 092017

Escape SE 1.6L Eco Boost

Vehicle was driven away from a mechanics shop for a fly wheel repair. After approx. ½ mile of driving, the temperature warning light illuminated without the gauge showing a high temperature. I stopped at a red light. When the light turned green, no matter how I pressed on the accelerator the car would not accelerate over 5 miles an hour. It drove for less than 50 ft and the engine completely shut off. I had to navigate across 3 lanes of traffic to get into a parking lot where I had to push the car into the lot as the forward momentum had been used up. Mechanics came, looked over the car then it started normally. They drove it back to the shop and hooked it to a computer but no codes were thrown. We could not recreate the issue. Mechanic said it must have been a fluke. After reading all the blogs about this issue I am now concerned that it can happen and result in an injury. I am afraid to drive the car now.

- , Asheville, NC, US

Mar 152017

Escape SE

DEALER REPLACED TRANSMISSION AND NOW THE TURBO HAS A PROBLEM AND THE COOLANT BYPASS VALVE IS BAD. ALL HAPPENED JUST 9000 MILES OUT OF WARRANTY. FORD REFUSED TO HELP WITH ANYTHING ON IT AND NOW WE ARE OUT MORE THAN $6000. HATE THIS VEHICLE WITH ALL I AM RIGHT NOW.

- , Spring, TX, US

Apr 072017

Escape SE

LOCAL DEALER REPLACED THE TRANSMISSION AND THEN WE HAD TO TAKE THE CAR BACK TO THEM 3 DAYS LATER. THE EMISSION SYSTEM HAD A PROBLEM AND THEN JUST TWO WEEKS LATER THE CAR BROKE DOWN AGAIN. THIS TIME THE COOLANT BYPASS VALVE WENT OUT. THE DEALER REFUSED TO COMBINE THE ISSUE WITH THE OTHER PROBLEMS THAT WERE HAPPENING.

- , Spring, TX, US

Mar 062017

Escape

Vehicle stalls out when accelerating after starting. Pulling out of driveway or parking lot, car loses gas pedal functionality, starts to shake then stalls. This is very dangerous because it happens when first starting car and pulling into traffic. Have to shut off and restart. This is a hard problem to fix because it doesn't happen every time. Only about 1/4 the time. Took it to ford and they put in a new fuel sensor.

- , Sioux Falls, US

Jan 042017

Escape SEL 1.6L

Having the same problem as many that I've seen on this sight. Drive the Escape - get to destination - go to leave, Escape starts right up. Put it gear and drive about 20 yards and the vehicle stalls. Starts right back up and runs like nothing is wrong. It's been in an independent shop for 5 days now. The mechanic was able to re-create the problem but no diagnostic code shows when this happens. Seems to be the same symptoms of the 2.0 wiring harness issue, but mine is a 1.6L. I'm at my wits end. It's only a matter of time before I get rear ended or the car leaves me stranded somewhere. HELP!

Update from Mar 20, 2017: Took the vehicle from the independent shop to a Ford dealership. First the service guy tells us that he's never heard of this issue. Really? Do you live in a cave? Than they were unable to re-create the problem, but did complete 2 additional recalls that were outstanding. They re-programmed the computer(?) and said that might help the stalling. It did not! the car stalled 6 times in 2 days. Returned to the dealership today and dealt with the service manager. He acted as if he knew what we were talking about when we described the issue. They replaced a fuel sensor that was bad and some other sensor that was leaking (I will let you know what sensor that was as soon as I get the car picked up and look at the paperwork). Because of the extended warranty our cost is $100 deductible. I hope this resolves our issue. I will most definitely let everyone know. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Update from Mar 29, 2017: ok - so took the Escape back to the dealer because the problem of stalling was still there, if not worse. They replaced the line to the fuel sensor and a leaking E-vap valve and (fingers crossed) it seems to have fixed the problem. Luckily, we have an extended warranty on the Escape so we only had to pay a $100.00 deductible. I'm not sure of the cost without the warranty. I will surely keep everyone posted -but I hope that everyone who is having this problem reads this and gets some resolution.

- , Baltimore, MD, US

Oct 142016

Escape SEL 1.6L

So like many other Ford Escape owners on here and all over the internet, this has happened to me countless times. The car will run fine but once we stop at a store or whatever when we go to leave and are pulling out of the parking lot the car will start to spit and sputter then just die. Sometimes it starts right back up and is like nothing happened, other times I can start it 5 times and it will die as soon as I put it in gear and give it gas. When it's not doing this the car drives like it is brand new. I will not take the car more that 10 miles from my house now. I shouldn't have to worry about a car with less than 100,000 miles on it making it more than 10 miles away from my house. Not to mention the numerous recalls this car has had. It goes in the shop on 2/27/2017 I am having them replace the wiring harness to see if that stops the stall and dying I will keep you informed.

P.S. I will never buy another Ford that is newer than a 1978

- , Vevay, IN, US

Jan 132017

Escape

My 2013 Ford Escape stalled again while driving through a parking lot. The engine loses power and stalls. Red oil lamp and battery sign come on. No System Check message shows. Dealer replaced engine and after picking it up from there it still loses power all of a sudden. The dealer hooked it up to computer and no codes were showing but there is clearly something wrong.

- , Palmdale, CA, USA

Apr 042016

Escape SE 1.6

Since Nov 2015 I've taken my Ford Escape to the service dept at the dealer 7 times and this will make 8. The dealer has replaced everything from the water pump to the coolant valve and my suv has malfunctioned again today. The Ford tech contacted my dealers service dept in an effort to help resolve the problem but what I've determined is this issue is not resolvable. How is it that the manufacturer cannot determine an issue that multiple Escape owners are having and have reported. Iam keeping all of my service records emails correspondence etc so that if something deadly happens my family can sue. I've had 4 SUVs and this Ford Escape is the worst purchase ever and I will NEVER buy Ford again

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Sep 052016

Escape SE 1.7L 4 cyl

Let my roommate drive my 2013 Ford Escape SE, since his 2012 Ford Focus SE broke down and was in the shop at the dealer for two weeks while they replaced a broken clutch for the second time under warranty. He barely got 5 minutes away from our home and the vehicle went into limp home mode and shut off. Ironically, the vehicle stalled out in front of the Ford dealer. They inspected it and found the Coolant Bypass Valve went bad. The part is only $50, but with labor and everything else it came out to be a $400 repair. It was at the dealer for two days. I was not given a loaner vehicle, which they are not required to provide one since my vehicle is outside of warranty. However, there is a recall out for this part, but it is not applicable for my VIN even though I had the exact issue covered under the recall. Contacted Ford Corporate and they documented my concerns. I'd love to get my money back for this known defective issue. I was hesitant about buying a Ford, and most likely about to trade it for a Chevy.

- , Clarksville, TN, USA

Nov 012016

Escape SE 2

Hello,

has anyone got an answer as to what the problem is with this issue, 2013 Ford escape, stalling, loosing power dash lighting up while driving, wont start again?. This has happened a couple times now over the last year and its my family car. Pretty scary.

The usual ford dealer response is we can't replicate the issue or find anything wrong with car, nothing showing up on computer fault codes. Im not very happy with that response. I have escalated this to ford head office and got a case number but who knows if it will actually go anywhere.

cheers, G.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Jun 132016

Escape SE 2.0L

It first happen January 2016. I was approaching the traffic light and I brake, when the light turns green my engine stall when I step on the gas. It happen again after a week the same place. after a week again it happen while I was turning right, the engine died. I went to the dealer but they can solved the problem. I happen again February twice, then March then June 13 and the last time june 21. this time it says Engine fault. I almost got in to accident. I went to the dealer again, they kept my escape for 3 days and couldn't find the problem.

- , Burnaby, BC, Canada

Jan 182016

Escape SEL 1.6L

Since January (it is now May 16) my car has been towed to two separate dealerships for stalling issues on SIX different occasions. This last issue, the car stalled and seems to have short circuited. After waiting 3 1/2 hours waiting for roadside assistance to tow, the battery died when the back hatch wouldn't close, I am responsible for paying for the battery.

I am so tired of hearing "unable to replicate", paying for non-Ford rentals, because no Ford rentals are available, and continuing to pay my car payment when I have hardly had my car this year. Customer service has been a joke, calling every few days at 4:55 pm just to let me know that they have not forgotten about me. It is such a shame the Ford cannot keep a car running when it doesn't even have 50,000 miles on it.

- , Beverly Hills, MI, USA

Jan 152016

Escape SE 1.6L

My Escape stalled while driving at low speed in a parking lot. It has done it once last year and I thought that I had done something to cause it, so ignored that one.

This time it happened twice while in the parking lot trying to leave. Engine started at the third try. Went to take it to Ford dealer immediately but was freaking out that it would stop in the middle of the road.

They checked it out and couldnt find any problem. Said one time they drove someone's car for 6 months until they found the problem. They asked me if I wanted to hand over the car to them to drive until they find the problem. They offered a loner car. But, I didn't buy the car to give to someone else to drive around. They said to not start the car after it stalls again and they will tow it to the shop to check. What fun, I am not happy with this Ford even though I had a great Ford Explorer before this.

Mar 172016

Escape SE Ecoboost

Purchased a used 2013 Ford Escape Ecoboost 45 days ago. My daughter is the driver of this car, and since purchase it has cut off while driving at least 7 times, 2 of the times in a major traffic, practically causing an accident. Car has been taken back to dealer only for them to advice they can't find anything due to no code being identified on car and inability to replicate the problem.

It is simple to see this a LARGE issue with multiple people just by googling the issue, however, FORD will only pay attention to technical service bulletins of which there are none identifying this problem. Dealer has asked we bring the car back and "lets try some things" but quite honestly a college student doesn't have the funds to "try things" why aren't there fixes for this.

I come from a general motors family, and this is my first FORD purchase, so far I am not pleased. We don't have a service bulletin is not an answer.

If anyone has had this issue and gotten it fixed, please share what your resolution was.

Thanks..

FRUSTRATED CONSUMER

- , Dacula, GA, USA

Jan 312016

Escape SE 1.6L

My 2013 Ford Escape stalled again while driving out of a parking lot. Barely started then stalled. Barely started then stalled again. Then started barely and made it home. Red oil lamp and battery sign came on.

Mar 222016

Escape SE 1.6L

My 2013 Ford Escape stalled again while driving through a parking lot. The engine looses power and stalls. Red oil lamp and battery sign come on. No System Check message shows. Started again after I waited 2 minutes. No problems with driving after that on that day. Next time it stalls, I will have it towed to the dealer to get checked.

Feb 102016

Escape 1.6L

I am trying to contact the most appropriate consumer advocate to obtain assistance is rectifying a crash risk situation surrounding a Ford vehicle. I have contacted the Ford national Customer Relationship Center as well as brought the vehicle to 2 separate Ford dealerships in RI (Tasca and Flood) only to be told that their computer diagnostic tests cannot identify the problem. I have driven in the vehicle with my wife and it stalls or will not accelerate even after pressing on the accelerator pedal while traveling on city and highway roadways. We have researched this situation via Goggle and it is well-documented with numerous reports, which Ford is aware of according to my discussion with the representative that I spoke with at their national customer relationship center. We are desperate in seeking a means to obtain a resolution to this situation to avoid serious injury and/or death because of this crash risk. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

P.S. Listed below is the reference to my correspondence with the Ford Customer Relationship Center. I have also included several links to complaints and reports surrounding this vehicle stalling problem that a number of consumers have reported encountering similar negative experiences with Ford dealers addressing this similar situation.

Ford Motor Company is dedicated to improving customer satisfaction. This brief survey has been developed to gather feedback regarding your recent interaction with the Ford Customer Relationship Center, regarding case number CAS-8916920-C5N5D6 opened on 2/29/2016 6:05:45 PM. Though you may have already participated in a similar phone survey, your additional feedback is appreciated. The survey should take less than 2 minutes to complete and your responses will be used for Ford internal purposes only. This survey will be available for the next seven days. Thank you very much for your time.

- , Cranston, RI, USA

Feb 242016

Escape

Motor stalled when turning into a turn lane fortunately there wasn't a car behind me or I could have been in an accident. This was not the first time. Have an appointment with the local dealer next week

- , Bemidji, MN, USA