Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Escape:

Aug 232019

Escape

I have noticed that after applying normal pressure to the brakes, the ABS indicator and the hill assist notice appear. Also another warning light comes on the dash board. Also, the speedometer doesn't work anymore. When this happens the engine will not turn off. This has happened 10 times in the past 2 weeks. Eventually the engine will torn itself off after approximately 20-30 minutes. I noticed that the ABS light comes on after stopping at a light. It may come on at other times while I am driving the vehicle, but I notice the light when stopped at a traffic light or pulling into a parking space.

- John's Island, SC, USA

May 092019

Escape

I was driving on my way to pick child up from daycare and car would not move even when giving gas. It felt as if it wouldn't shift. I took it to car dealership and they are saying that my transmission is going out. This car was bought brand new and as only 60,000 miles if that and now they are telling me my transmission is out and it will cost me $9,500 to $6,000 I find it funny that they called a recall on Focus from that year on issues with transmission and now mine is out and some how it is my fault. If I would have know there was onging problem I wouldn't have bought the car I don't have that kind of money that why I bought new thought I would be getting dependable care for me drive my child around in. This happen in toledo, Ohio while driving I had to have care towed to car lot where is currently sitting because I can not afford to fix something that Ford knows it has issue with. I don't have problem with paying for something that is my fault but this is not it especially since I keep seeing and hearing that people are having issue with Ford Escapes and other Ford products.

Escape

IżM not sure but I feel like there might be an issue with my Ford Escape transmission. I bought the car in not even 2 years ago and now IżM being told that I either need new transmission or to have mine rebuilt and this doesnżT seem rightż.how is that a car that is barley 3 years old, and bought brand new needs a whole new transmission. I am concern because I have a child and I am currently pregnant and my car is slipping in out of gear while driving. I am on fix income this why I bought what I thought was a reliable new car, I donżT have the money to correct Ford's mistake. I hope this mater can be looked into any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not feel like some should have to die before this issue is addressed and corrected.

- Toleodo, OH, USA

- Toleodo, OH, USA

Escape

IżM not sure but I feel like there might be an issue with my Ford Escape transmission. I bought the car in not even 2 years ago and now IżM being told that I either need new transmission or to have mine rebuilt and this doesnżT seem rightż.how is that a car that is barley 3 years old, and bought brand new needs a whole new transmission. I am concern because I have a child and I am currently pregnant and my car is slipping in out of gear while driving on the streets of toledo. I am on fix income this why I bought what I thought was a reliable new car, I donżT have the money to correct Ford's mistake. I hope this mater can be looked into any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 132017

Escape

On December 13, 2017 I was in the process of parking in front of a place of business, the business was in a public parking lot and I was going at most 25 mph before starting to park. I had my foot on the brake and was 1/4-1/2 way in the parking place when the car suddenly accelerated, the car went thru the plate glass window, thankfully no one was hurt! the police were called and as I was the only vehicle I was found at fault, cause 'excessive speed'. the car accelerated so fast I didn't have a chance to react. The tires did not touch the curb and seemed to fly thru the air. My vehicle was totaled due to the damage to the front end and frame. From what I have read it appears to be a throttle issue - stuck open. I do have a police report if needed but it only says I was at fault, excessive speed and that the building was damaged.

- Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Jan 062018

Escape

Driving into parking lot to park and the car accelerated jump 2 curbs and hit a parked vehicle. I would have to have floored the pedal for that to happen. I think something malfunctioned. I did see another similar report dated October of 2017 of the same thing happening and Ford had a recent past of acceleration problems. So IżM wondering if it is a malfunction of the car

- Clovis, NM, USA

Aug 162017

Escape

Safety hazard and serious life threatening situation exists when this problem occurs on the highway and especially in front of a semi tractor trailer truck doing the speed limit. Numerous times, (12 times between 14,000 and 15,363 miles) the 2016 Ford Escape has had complete power loss during acceleration causing vehicle to abruptly begin shaking, lose power, lose steering, lose braking and immediately shudder to a stop. Service engine light comes on, message reads: Engine fault service now. (see attached photo) engine remains running. If one tries to continue driving the vehicle stumble and won't shift from low gear without a very hard torquing sound. This Ford Escape broke down in front of a Ford dealer and the code read by this dealers computer is P0322-PCM. According to an internet search the P0322 code definition: If the PCM (powertrain control module) detects an erratic, interrupted, or otherwise unexpected input signal from the distributor or the crankshaft position sensor, it will store the P0322 code, and the check engine light will be turned on. On this vehicle the code is only active when the fault occurs, and the engine is running. The codes do not store in memory. Ignition can be shut off, the warning message disappears and many times the car is able to be driven again for miles before reoccurring. The leasing dealer states they have a process to follow in order to fix the problem. They have to replicate the problem or they do nothing. Using my printout from another dealer with the code is meaningless to them, even though they know the source of the problem and that the condition is life threatening. They say that if I feel the condition is life threatening then do not drive the car. A formal case has been opened with Ford customer assistance, however they only notify the service manager that there is a problem, which he already knows.

- Clawson, MI, USA

Jun 172017

Escape

Car went to very slow speed from 45 to about 2 mph in a few seconds. On side of road engine would not speed up all. Turned engine off/on twice no help. Turned engine off third time. Car started ok third time and was able to drive home ok. I read error code out. Its P2111 this error is a common error on certain Ford from 2009 on. This problem needs to be addressed soon! when your engine quits with this error you have very poor power steering control, etc. Please research this problem. Car was driving on a highway when this event occurred.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Nov 222016

Escape

I was driving about 60 mph on interstate 95 when the vehicle suddenly shut off while in motion and I ran into the back of a 18 wheeler truck. Thankfully I was not hurt. Ford insists they cannot find anything wrong with the car.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Oct 132016

Escape

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Escape. While attempting to park at 2 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into another vehicle. The failure occurred without warning. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 3,500.

- Washington, MI, USA

Oct 312016

Escape 4-cyl

While driving the Ford Escape on a main road today the vehicle suddenly started to idle very rough, the orange wrench light came on and I could not accelerate. The car decelerated rapidly as I was going up a slight hill. I was able to coast into a parking lot, where I shut the car off for several minutes, then turned it back on and proceeded home. I have called the Ford dealership to bring the car in for service.

- Mineola, NY, USA

Oct 182016

Escape 4-cyl

Driving in detroit traffic and it started to sputter and shudder and would not maintain speed. Did get it off road. Turned off. Restart with same symptoms. Turned off and let sit for five minutes. Restarted and ran ok. Straight to dealership. Diag code: P2111. Replaced throttle body. Runs fine now. Accelerator pedal much less twitchy than before.

- Highland, MI, USA

Sep 012016

Escape

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly reduced speed and a "service engine" message was displayed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 032016

Escape

Lsudden complete loss of power unexpectedly driving at low or high speed. Ruff running without ability to accelerate. Waring message of "hill assit" not activated. Very dangerous senario while on interstate. Occurred 3 (three) times in 2 days. Car was a hertz rental car and I was told, after compaining that requested car was not available, that this car is better and more reliable than my requested Toyota rav 4. thinking back it's as if they knew about the Escape's liability.

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Jul 172016

Escape

Now looking back the warning signs were when put in reverse would roughly kick back. Then one day while driving on a city street going about 50mph, there was a jolt and an "engine fault, service now" message appeared and the service engine light came on. I noticed that I was slowing down and could not go over 30mph. I had it towed to dealership and they said the throttle body needed to be replaced. I see there have been issues with this before affecting years 2008-2013, but no recall was ever made. Very surprised that this issue has not been resolved yet and still occurring in 2016 vehicles.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Jun 172016

Escape

While driving at highway speed, the car shuttered and flashed warning lights, the power was decreased, then shuttered again after I pulled over and turned it off

- Austin, TX, USA