Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid:

Feb 012014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Two times on 2/1 the power steering quite working for a few seconds while driving on a mountain freeway. The safe issue occurred two other times in the past few weeks. The power steering is working find and all of a sudden it stops and it's very difficult to get the vehicle to turn. Very scary for my wife is the one that drive this car. Last night when it happened she had two children in the car with her.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 012013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

2009 Ford Escape hybrid. Consumer writes in regards to power steering failure. The consumer stated when his daughter started the vehicle, there was no power steering. After several starts, the power steering would activate. The problem worsened over the next several days, where it would take dozens of attempts for the power steering to activate, after the engine was started. The dealer replaced the steering column at a cost of $ $1700.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Oct 212013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

While traveling down a winding road, the steering locked and I did not have control for a few seconds, then it came back. This has occasionally happened in the past, but thought is was something related to the battery. The battery was replaced a few months ago, and obviously not the issue. Brought to Ford dealer. They said I the steering column replaced to the tune of $1300 plus. They said it was a faulty sensor to the power steering. They confirmed that there is no warning with this and recommended that I not drive the car, even though they did not have the part, nor did they offer me alternative transportation. If they view it as this dangerous, and the part is backordered because it is so common, how on earth is this not a recall covered byford" are they waiting for me to have an accident" I have to drive the car to get to work in order to replace the part. This is outrageous. Perhaps there is legal action to take. Additionally, the dealer wants me to "prepay" for the part. I have never, in my entire life, prepaid for a part from the dealer. My mechanic cannot fix it because Ford has made it impossible for a third party to do this. This is my first Ford and will be my last.

- Ridgefield, CT, USA

Sep 052013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving to work. The powertrain light came on, my car started jerking. It wouldn't accelerate and the steering wheel became difficult to control. I had to pull to the side of the road. I turned off the ignition and restarted it. It was ok. That has happened twice since that first incident.

- Clifton , VA, USA

Feb 032013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Electric power steering failed for 1-2 seconds then returned to normal. This had happened several times in the past. Ford dealer followed technical service bulletin and replaced a connector. Per Ford, the technical service bulletin exists because this has happened on other vehicles. Ford is treating this as a common, out-of-warranty component failure. Electric power steering is required for safe operation of this vehicle. Had this happened at highway speeds it could have had serious consequences. Because of this I believe this issue should be elevated in level.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 022013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

My 2009 Ford escape (Escape hybrid) was being driven into a turn at 35+ miles per hour. The steering locked up as I entered the turn which forced me to hit the brakes and go skidding across full speed oncoming traffic - I narrowly avoided a head on crash, which likely would have resulted in many injuries or worse. The vehicle came to rest after skidding across the traffic lanes in the safety lane area of the far side of the road. After stopping, I found the steering wheel was still 99% locked up - I turned off the car and then after a few minutes to gain my composure, I restarted the car and found that steering had been restored - I drove home (nearby) at a speed of 25 mph. Vehicle was taken to the Ford dealer who confirmed that the torque sensor / steering column / power steering system - had failed causing steering lockup. An entire steering column unit was replaced at my cost of ~$1500. The unexpected failure of this critical component is very likely going to cause accidents, injuries and or fatalities as more Ford escapes enter the mileage at which the steering column / power steering fails and locks up.

- Elizabeth, CO, USA

Aug 272012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Thought I felt something strange in the steering while traveling at over 60mph around a curve on the freeway. 10 minutes down the road and after turning into driveway the steering suddenly failed. I almost hit the entry gate. Steering became very stiff like driving a tank, the eps system completely failed.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Jan 152012

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact was traveling 40 mph when the power steering failed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 59,000. Updated 08/16/12 the consumer stated the power steering failure occurred three times within the three years she has owned the vehicle. She did not take the vehicle to the dealer, but she did talk them and it seemed they would not do anything until, the failure actually occurred while in their possession. Updated 08/21/12

- Lovettsville, VA, USA

Dec 062011

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

The automobile steering became stiff and wouldn't turn. I had to manually turn the car at the corner. It happened within the week 3 times. I took the car to be checked at the dealer who explained that they could not help me because they could not duplicate the incident.my car is under warranty only to 36,000 miles so I am concerned as to the safety of the steering on highway and on surface streets, as it happen periodically.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Jun 062011

Escape Hybrid

First occurrence driving at approx 45 miles per hour made a left turn into a parking lot and lost power steering. Was able to move to parking spot, turn off car then restarted and power steering was restored. Second incident was traveling at approx 50 miles per hour made a left turn, again lost power steering, was not able to stop car safely due to traffic and had to continue without power steering for approx 1 mile until I could safe stop the vehicle. Turned off car and restarted and power steering was restored.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 152009

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving approximately 35 mph the power steering locked. The steering wheel became very difficult to control. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The failure recurred and the vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The failure occurred three times. The contact was in the process of taking the vehicle back to the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact was unable to provide a VIN. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000 and the current mileage was 39,000.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Jun 022010

Escape Hybrid

While driving at about 30 miles per hour, the steering wheel has locked up on two different occasions... once recently, and once about a year ago. In both instances, I tried to turn the wheel to follow a curve but the wheel was locked. I quickly hit the brake to slow the car, and proper steering then resumed. I'm very frightened that steering may not recover in future instances, or that even the short term loss of steering will result in a wreck, accident, injury, or death.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 102009

Escape Hybrid

On Oct 25th 2008 we purchased a 2009 Ford Escape hybrid from encinitas Ford. On April 11, 2009(mge 3809.4)while driving between 40-45 up a small incline and the steering wheel jerked hard to the right and put me into the other lane of traffic beside me. This same instance just happened again on 12/10/09 (6856.0 mge) but I was going between 30-35 under battery and trying to curve to the left when the steering stiffened up again quickly and veered me to the right off of the road. I dropped the car at the dealership on 12/14/09 and they can't find anything wrong to come and get it. I am so upset that they think this is an acceptable solution. If I were going even 5 miles per hour faster, I would hit a very large oak tree. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle, and am very afraid that my chances for an accident to myself or others has just increased 10-fold! I called Ford Motor Company on 12/14/09 at 4:30pm (pac time) and filled out their online complaint form. On 12/16/09 at 9:17am, a rep from Ford called me back and said he is opening a "claim" to investigate the problem. He was headed out of town and asked if he could have until Tuesday, 12/22/09 to return a call to me between 12:00-4:00pm I said that was fine.

- Encinitas, CA, USA