Nov 082009

Explorer

Following the NHTSA campaign #04V442000 recall replacement of the hinge on the rear hatchback of my 2002 Ford Explorer, cracks in the body have appeared in the paneling around the rear tailgate window. These cracks appear to be stressed induced and may pose a hazard to the rear window if the framing around the window continues to degrade and crack.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jul 142009

Explorer

Driving on highway, no debris, and our sunroof exploded. As the screen was closed no injuries, but potential for cut and eye injuries by razor sharp glass. No one behind us affected. Huge noise very startling.

- Vancouver, 00, USA

Mar 012008

Explorer

I took a trip from home in ok to canton, tx on return heard loud noise when I stopped to have the vehicle inspected I found out the front drive shaft was coming out. In March of 2008 I noticed a noise coming from the rear of the Explorer. When I had it inspected I was told the rear end needed to be replaced. This cost me over $2000. My transmission is now slipping and after reading other complaints I fear the worse if I have my transmission checked. Who do we contact to have a lawsuit started? my truck now has approximately 110,000 miles. I have replaced the front drive shaft, rear end assembly. My air bag light stays on and the rear panel below the back window has cracked. I have all the complaints listed except for the gear shifter breaking off in my hand.

- Blackwell, OK, USA

Mar 172008

Explorer

2002 Ford Explorer with cracked rear tailgate applique. Have seen many more on the road. Ford says there is no defect. They want $350 to fix.

- Eastport, NY, USA

Nov 152008

Explorer

2002 Ford Explorer developed a crack below the rear hatch window extending down and to the right of the Ford emblem. Since then I have observed these on dozens of Explorer. My vehicle was not involved in an accident, nor was the hatch being used when this occurred. I feel it is a safety issue since the glass could fall out on the highway. Ford in no way acknowledges the issue that has hundreds of complaints on message board.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Mar 212009

Explorer

The rear panel below the rear window of my 2002 Ford Explorer cracked. While in the car wash, two thirds of the rear panel fell off the back of the vehicle. I have found out that this is an expensive replacement and that Ford has been made aware of the problem. My concern is if it fell off in a car wash what would happen if it fell off while I was driving 55-65 mph on the highway? also, I am not thrilled about the idea of having to spend $500 to fix a piece of my vehicle that should remain intact.

- Amherst, NH, USA

Dec 012006

Explorer

2 cracks in the hatchback above the logo.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Feb 042009

Explorer

Crack in hatchback directly below window.

- Berryville, VA, USA

Feb 062009

Explorer

Noticed what appeared to be a small scratch just below the glass on the plastic portion of 200 Explorer liftgate. On Friday Feb 6, 2009 there was a split from top to bottom. Ford is doing nothing about this problem even though it seems to possibly be related to the liftgate hinge recall already issued by the NHTSA.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Dec 122008

Explorer

When I saw a crack on the Ford applique, I went to my local Ford dealer to see who I should contact about this problem. I've never had any problems with my Explorer; took excellent care of it; no dents, dings, accidents. The dealer told me I must have slammed the trunk too hard in cold weather. If that were the case, I should have cracks in all four doors (and the hood). They wanted to give me the name of a body shop to have it repaired. I said, no, this should be Ford's responsibility. I contacted Ford's corporate office, they replied that there's no recall nor is it under warranty and that I would have to pay for the repair. I will not! this was not something that I did! this is poor workmanship! I have had numerous Ford Taurus station wagons before this Explorer, and have had no problems with them... I placed this complaint on "auto beef". my complaint was #304, there are now 315 complaints on the same problem. I'm afraid this could fall of while driving.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Dec 122008

Explorer

When I saw a crack on the Ford applique, I went to my local Ford dealer to see who I should contact about this problem. I've never had any problems with my Explorer; took excellent care of it; no dents, dings, accidents. The dealer told me I must have slammed the trunk too hard in cold weather. If that were the case, I should have cracks in all four doors (and the hood). They wanted to give me the name of a body shop to have it repaired. I said, no, this should be Ford's responsibility. I contacted Ford's corporate office, they replied that there's no recall nor is it under warranty and that I would have to pay for the repair. I will not! this was not something that I did! this is poor workmanship! I have had numerous Ford Taurus station wagons before this Explorer, and have had no problems with them... I placed this complaint on "auto beef". my complaint was #304, there are now 315 complaints on the same problem. I'm afraid this could fall off while driving.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Jan 012007

Explorer

My 2002 Ford Explorer has 2 cracks from top to bottom in the back rear panel. I noticed the first on around January 2007 and the second one January 2009.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 152008

Explorer

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and all of a sudden the O/D light started flashing I have read other peoples experiences and this has led me to file a complaint about this and now that I realize that im not the only one well I hope you can help I was expecting for this vehicle to last longer than my 1994 Dodge Ram. And another thing the side of the windows started pealing off my back door is cracked because it would not close right and none of my three of my windows have stopped working at one time. This car is full of malfunctions and I thing that there should be something done about it I bought it brand new and paid 25,000 for this piece of junk.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 162009

Explorer

Approximately a year ago the top panel of the back tailgate began cracking on the right side of the "Ford" symbol. Yesterday morning I came out to find another crack in the panel in the exact same spot except on the left side of the "Ford" symbol. The first crack is about 1/8" wide and split approximately halfway down the back panel. The second crack spans from the top of the panel to the bottom and is approximately 1/4-1/2" wide. I did not hit anything and there is no structural damage to the car otherwise. The panel has not been corrected or fixed yet.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Apr 012008

Explorer

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and the panel below the back window hatch has multiple cracks. I found on the internet that this seems to be a common problem for the 2002 Ford Explorer. I contacted Ford and Ford said that because it's out of warranty that they won't cover the repair. This seems to be the common answer that Ford is giving to everyone that is experiencing this problem too.

- Shoreham, NY, USA

Jan 062007

Explorer

Unexplained crack in the rear hatch lid.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Dec 152008

Explorer

The liftgate cracked in 3 places. It started a year ago with one crack, then another crack appeared 6 months later. A few weeks ago a 3 crack appeared. The Ford dealer refused to help and a call to Ford was not returned.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Jun 142004

Explorer

Cracked panel on below window on 2002 Explorer.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Oct 312007

Explorer

Cracked tailgate applique (under rear glass). Dealer won't replace, car under extended warranty. Was never hit or abused.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jan 012009

Explorer

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and the panel below the back window hatch has cracked for seemingly no reason. I found on the internet that this seems to be a common problem for the 2002-2004 block of Ford Explorer. I have just over 100K miles on my vehicle and Ford said that because it's out of warranty that they won't cover the repair. This seems to be the common answer that Ford is giving to everyone that is experiencing this problem too.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA