Jul 012015

Liftgate glass hinge and ball bracket is broken/disengaged. It is no longer working properly. It can fall, brake and/or cause injury. This part has been replaced during a recall. It did not fix the problem.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Liftgate glass hinge and ball stud bracket is coming apart. The bracket has disengaged. Glass is potentially going to fall, brake and/or cause injury. It is no longer working properly. This part has been replaced during a recall but did not fix the issue.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Feb 112017

The rear liftgate mount broke off and window fell on my daughters head and bent the other mount and broke left strut off. Can't line it up to get it to close and latch shut. Can't drive the car or liftgate will fall off. Going to get some rope and try to tie it on. It was in front of house with the whole hatch open to get groceries out

- Mishawaka, IN, USA

May 152009

Back tailgate window is crooked, air pressure thing fell off on right side causing a lack of support on that side and hinges are starting to bend to the left also. Who knows when this window will fall off or how much longer it will be supported without the support on the right. It's just scary, we don't use this tailgate window at all so it may be fine? it is like this while stationary, in motion, on a city street or highway, turning etc.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Sep 262016

After loading my luggage I closed my trunk and the whole back window completely shattered the struts broke and the little black thing that holds the window up top broke too. I got a cut on my hand, glass went everywhere. So stressed..

- Bowie, MD, USA

Apr 022016

My 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6L is having major transmission problems at only 110K miles. It hesitates shifting gears and slips while driving. The vehicle also stalls when stopping at a red light or stop sign. It has the infamous crack down the back hatch. Both are problems thousands of customers have complained about yet Ford does nothing. The transmission problem is a very expensive cost to repair and it shouldn't be the customers responsibility when Ford knew there was a problem.

- Hyden, KY, USA

Feb 112016

I was driving my Ford on the highway and the next thing I know my feet were really hot and black smoke started coming up. Then the black smoke started coming from the engine and I nearly crashed trying to get to the edge of the highway before the fire took over the whole front of the car. Luckily the fire department was right there for another accident. It was incredibly disturbing experience. Luckily my 3 small children were not in the car.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jan 052016

Column gear shifter broke off when putting in gear. Could not remove key or put in park

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Dec 162015

Car stalled on busy street, then was restarted and lost power. Then fire in engine compartment. Cause is unknown. Car was well maintained. Total loss was not covered by insurance

- Lakeville, MA, USA

Nov 092015

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. While entering the vehicle, the interior lighting remained illuminated and leaked water into the vehicle. The contact noticed water stains by the visors. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 133,748.

- Belcamp, MD, USA

Jun 262015

Vehicle leaks transmission fluid from what a appears tobe the trans bell housing and was told by experts after taking vehicle to investigate, main seal tranny damaged and trans needs tobe pulled, costing hundreds to fix.was in first accident in 30yrs because tranny would not engage, shift to proper torque for speed when needed.causing sluggish late shift to almost stop, and causing crash. Can you help".................anyone" thankyou!

- Nampa, ID, USA

Jul 012011

Rear panel has crack 2 times. We paid 600.00$ for first repair. 3 months later the rear panel cracked again. No crash or accident.

- Oneida, KY, USA

May 082015

Vehicle parked in stall when gear selecter was shifted from drive to park with foot on brake said vehicle experienced wide open throttle surged forward knocking down light pole only coming to stop ontop of fire hydrant or vehicle would of kept going as wheels were still spinning!

- Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Apr 182015

The rear window shuttered into 100 pieces during the driving. The rear panel has cracked.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Nov 162004

Explorer 6-cyl

Huge crack on back panel below window!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Oct 092014

Explorer 6-cyl

My daughter went to open my rear hatch and the window fell. The hinge completely detached from the car. I went to Ford to have them look at it they stated that it was a recall item but that it had already been fixed in 2005. I asked if it had been fixed why would the same problem occur. They couldn't give me an answer. All they said was that they only pay for the first occurrence not and subsequent occurrences. My issue is that if an item continues to break that is no longer and issue with that item its and issue with the design of the item. This is a safety concern. What if the glass fell on my daughter or shattered on her. I don't see why I have to replace a faulty Ford issue.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 202014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Paint job on engine hood is bubbling up. SUV has been regularly washed and waxed; so one would not expect problems with the paint job. Based upon internet research, Ford has paint job issues with vehicles sold from 2000-2005.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Aug 012013

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Rear lift gate plastic panel cracked, allowing water to enter. I have noticed many Ford Explorer with the same issue. Why has Ford ignored this defect, I see many complants on-line with the same flaw by other Explorer owners..

- Fair Lawn, NJ, USA

Jun 042012

Explorer 6-cyl

The rear hatch is splitting down the middle near the windshield wipers. The metal is coming apart and may fly off during high rates of speed causing an accident. This email is to prevent an accident which may occur. I am aware of a pending lawsuit regarding cosmetic defects but would like you to know the possibility of an accident occurring once the metal separates at high rates of speed on the interstate. This is also a paper trail in case I am the truck the causes the accident.

- Lakeland, TN, USA

May 172014

Shortly after purchasing my Ford Explorer from the dealership I noticed a small crack in the rear hatch around the Ford emblem. This part of the hatch is also connected to the rear glass window that lifts open. I took my vehicle back to the dealership and they told me it was a manufacturers defect and will be recalled eventually so I should keep checking back. The recall never happened and after 10 plus years the crack got larger letting moisture in and rusting. Meanwhile I was noticing the majority of Ford Explorer from that year had the same crack on the rear hatch in the same place! about 2 weeks ago I went to simply open the rear hatch and the glass window buckled and shattered with an exploding sound similar to a gunshot. Glass was everywhere! the piece with the crack literally broke in half. Thankfully no one got hurt, but if my kids were in the car or my face was any closer it could have been a disaster. I truly believe Ford needs to take responsibility for their defective rear hatches in these models to prevent injuries.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA