Jun 032011

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Today I drove my 2002 Ford Explorer out and upon returning home I could not shift it into park. I switched it off thinking that if I crank it up and turn the wheels it would go into park but I couldn't even crank it up because I was not in the park gear. I played with it for 20 minutes and it finally went into park. I let it sit for a couple hours and went back out and cranked it, it went into gear. I drove it around the block came back and parked. Cranked it up about 10 minutes later to go out and it would not come out of park gear. I have no idea what the problem but if it's something serious the dealer can have it back. Something should be done to make Ford repair their malfunctions, we are talking some serious money on these repairs and a lot of people like myself is looking for work now. People we need to start protesting out side these dealerships. They are getting rich and we are suffering at their mishaps.

- Hamlet, NC, USA

Apr 222011

Explorer

Transmission gear shift broke off steering column as the vehicle was put in park. Could have been a major safety issue had I been anywhere other than my home and shifting into any other gear than park. Thought this was an isolated incident only to find information online that this is a common occurrence with the 2002 Explorer (over 100 reported on one website alone). Other issues I've experienced since day 1 of purchasing the vehicle new are transmission lunging, vehicle rocking when put in park, and difficulty shifting into park.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

May 282011

Explorer

This requested recall involves a 2002 Ford Explorer having an automatic transmission. During normal use, the shift lever breaks off at a cast rotating cylinder that transmits the torque from the gear shifter to push and pull the cable that puts the vehicle in park, drive, neutral, and reverse. The vehicle also had a tendency to jump out of park even before the part broke which caused the vehicle to roll back and almost pinned me between another vehicle when the vehicle rolled back and crashed into a vehicle parked downhill. This was a near miss accident. Ford wants to charge $1500 to replace the entire steering column. We elected to junk the vehicle at this time until another solution can be found. Vehicle still drives if you reach your hand and push/pull the transmission cable to shift the automatic transmission into gear. We can send the broke off section of the part if you will return it. On the internet, there are many reports of the same failure for years 2002 through 2005 Ford Explorer.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Mar 162011

Explorer

When putting car into park or reverse, car would sometime still be in drive for seconds after putting car in gear. Several times now, occasionally car will simply shut off. Recently, the car would not go into park and shifter separated from steering column.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Feb 162011

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

While backing up, the gear shift broke on my 2002 Ford Explorer. It was good that I was not in traffic because I could not get the car back in gear and could have gotten hit and or caused an accident. The steering column was replaced and the parts were in my opinion over priced. My fear is that it may happen again because it may have been replaced with the same defective part.

- Bluffton, OH, USA

Mar 202009

Explorer

Ford Explorer transmissions slipping and going out will get U killed if U pull out in traffic and it starts slipping and want go someone may hit U and get U killed.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Mar 082011

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

My 2002 Ford Explorer has a rear end noise it is really loud I've noticed many Explorer have the same problem. I have replace rear axle the whole rear end and the noise comes back I think its ridiculous that I have to pay all this money to fix it when its a wide spread problem for Ford Explorer. Ford should have a solution by now and should fix it for free.the noise is a constant when driving.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Apr 182002

Explorer

Transmission is whining and needs to be replaced.

- Nutley, NJ, USA

Apr 132011

Explorer 6-cyl

Please do something about this !!!! the Explorer gear shifter is defective and unsafe. There is a common thread with gearshift selector breakage on Ford Explorer which indicates that recall is urgently needed. After parking, I tried to move the gear shifter from drive to park to exit the vehicle. To my absolute astonishment the gear shifter broke like a dangling broken arm in the reverse position. The vehicle was rendered useless and me optionless. I work at a secure gov't facility and it was no picnic trying to get a tow truck driver access. I finally got the truck towed to the nearest dealership at $85. The dealer then informed me that the entire steering column would have to be replaced at $1,690. They didn't have the part and needed a day to get the truck back to me. I had to rent a car which was another $102 bucks. Make Ford take care of this safety hazard. I asked for the part and can show you what broke inside which is literally a weak metal housing that the gear shift handle fits in....

- Southaven, MS, USA

Apr 142011

Explorer

My wife was preparing to take our 3 children to school. She put our 2002 Ford Explorer in reverse and backed out of our driveway. After stopping, she attempted to shift into drive. The gear shift lever broke, leaving her with a car stuck in neutral. The keys are locked in the ignition and cannot be removed. After researching this online, I was very surprised to discover this is not a recall item and that Ford Motor Company's recommended fix is changing out the entire steering column. Is this really true?

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 102011

Explorer 6-cyl

Gear shift in my 2002 Ford Explorer broke off while trying to put my car in gear. I have been informed by the local dealer that the part is part of the steering column and it would cost approx. $1200 to replace. The part that broke is made of aluminum and is only about 4-5 inches long. This was a danger to me because my driveway is on a slight incline. In addition if the vehicle went into reverse, I could of had cause property damage and how would I put the vehicle back in park?

- Winterville, NC, USA

Mar 072011

Explorer

Was driving down the highway at 55 mph at my overdrive light started flashing and my information screen showed "check transmission" when I got home, I looked up the problem on the internet and found that my transmission just went bad and will need to be replaced according to what hundreds of complaints say had to be done to fix the same problem.

- Baldwin, KS, USA

Jan 252011

Transmission failure

- Dorr, MI, USA

Sep 012010

Explorer

Air bag warning light came on, pulled plug apart under drivers, seat sprayed cleaner on it put it back together, took care of that problem. Gear shift lever sheared off. Ford says you need to replace steering column. Went online found a man in sweden that made a replacement part, ordered it, put it on, works great. (why couldn't Ford supply one?) the transmission is starting to act up, you shift in to drive it hesitates and leaps forward, quite hard, same in reverse. Ford should recall this before someone gets hurt.

- Fortuna, CA, USA

Dec 292010

Automatic transmission needs replaced

- Tyrone, PA, USA

Jul 232010

Explorer

The transmission in our 2002 Ford Explorer eddie bauer started flashing the od light @94,000 miles took it to Ford they said the valve body and torque converter was bad, Ford replaced the items above for 2600 dollars problem went away for 10, 000 miles problem is back torque converter and valve body needsto be replaced again.

- Brighton, TN, USA

Dec 032010

Explorer

Automatic transmission experienced complete failure of band(s) for gears 3-4. dealer offered repair for about $2000, but not recommended as only receive 12 month / 12K mile warranty for replaced parts and no labor and not transferable. Opted for total replacement with Ford authorized remanufactured complete transmission for $3500 with 36 month / unlimited mileage and fully transferable. Difficult to accept a transmission would experience such drastic failure with so few miles, normal Suburban driving and no trailering.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Nov 262010

Explorer

I was traveling to mt. Washington, ky. From lorain, Ohio, ( approx. 330 miles). We stopped at the rest are at the halfway mark, between Washington ch, oh. & jeffersonvlle, oh. When we came back out, started the car, & it wouldn't go into reverse. Pushed it out of the parking spot & it wouldn't go in drive either. About 30 miles before, it made some clunking noises & it felt like we had a flat tire. I took it out of cruise control & it drove normally until the rest area. I had to have it towed to Washington courthouse & then back home on Monday, Nov., 29th, (at my own expense). Approximate cost of repair to date was $2969. I had my daughter & 6 yr. Old great granddaughter with me & I feel this could have possibly ended with disastrous results. Ford has known about these faulty transmissions probably from day 1. I'm not trying to just blast Ford, happen to be an employee. I feel they need to man up & take care of this problem before it leads to serious consequences.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Nov 252010

Explorer

The gear shift lever fell off the steering column while putting the car into park. It is held on only by the electrical connection.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 102010

Explorer

When driving the O/D light came on and started flashing erratically, then I was unable to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. The only way I can shift from 1st to 2nd gear is if I let the RPM's go up above 3,000 and 4,000. Then I can take my foot off the gas and it will switch into 3rd gear. I have not drove the truck since it started doing this, the only time I have drove it was to go to the mechanic. The mechanic says it is what makes the gears shift that is causing the problem. The only way to fix it is to put a new or rebuilt transmission into my 2002 Ford Explorer. On the way home from the mechanic it started slamming into gears.

- Baltimore , MD, USA