Jan 162012

Explorer 6-cyl

The service engine light came on and I was told there might be a transmission problem. After the service the light was off and I was going again. At 107,000 miles the light came back on and back to the service departmant and they said the #5 ring was having problems I could drive it and it would get worse. It was also mentioned this year Explorer had many transmission issues. Now they want a minimum of $3,500 to fix the SUV and the trade-in is only worth $3,500 dollars. I now have 117,500 miles on it and it shifts hard and goes in reveserves slowly. I have talked to Ford to no avail at all. The say sorry but we can't help with fixing it at all. There is no discounted rate for an issue that is well known on the blogs. This seems to be against the fact that Ford says they have the bext trucks on the road if they think 117,000 miles is enough to replace the transmission. I do not understand the fact they think it is okay to charge that amount for a known issue on the 2002 - 2004 model Explorer. I need help as I can't afford to fix it to trade it in and I don't see putting $3,500 plus into some thing that may only last one day to maybe a year.

- Camby, IN, USA

Aug 032012

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving in reverse, the gear shift lever failed. The contact tried to shift the vehicle in park but the gear shift remained stuck. The contact stated the vehicle continued to move and the emergency brake was used to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic for inspection where they stated that the aluminum house that connected the shift lever to the steering column failed and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and have not responded. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Aug 032012

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while attempting to shift from park to drive, the gear shifter lever fractured. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and denied assistance with the repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 64,549.

- Susquehanna, PA, USA

Jul 192012

Explorer 6-cyl

When accelerating on a start, car doesn't shift into 2nd and 3rd gear....unless there is a push or jump into it.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 122012

Explorer 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and the over drive light started flashing and the check engine light is on and the transmission started slipping from 2-3 gear and I found out with my 2yr and 3yr kids in the car if I need to pull out on to a highway with cars coming the SUV don't want to do so and will rev up and might slam into gear when you let off the gas. I love my Explorer great family car but with this problem I will not have my kids in it at all. And not knowing if it will make it or not. Ford do something about this. Im not the only one.

- Casar, NC, USA

Jun 252012

Explorer 6-cyl

While driving car would not shift passed 3rd gear. I had to pull over on a busy highway because I was afraid the engine would explode. I later found out, after researching, that the risk of it shifting into reverse is a common problem with the PO745 error code in 2002 Explorer.

- Pendleton, IN, USA

Feb 052009

Ford is a great company. I love their F-350, mustangs, and vans. But the main problem is the 2002 Ford Explorer transmission. I have seen and researched thousands of complaints the citizens have sent to Ford and through yourselves. And yet to now prevail? what right does a person have to create a vehicle and not own up to its complication. Now I'm not saying their are perfect cars but a Ford Explorer has them. Now I can send you a list of what I want. But I'm not going to rant like some 5 year old in a candy store. But change needs to happen. Hundreds of these innocent people who go through out their day driving this vehicle need a break. Actually they need a fix. A "shift"into the right direction. And hundreds more are filing lawsuit against everyone they can about it. Your cant trade this car because of the problem and who has the money to dish out almost over $3,000 for a headache that could have been prevented from the start. All I need if you. Yes you is to send this message to anybody. Or everybody and help push for a new tomorrow a sunny day. A fixed problem. But I am filing a lawsuit for everything their worth. Or at least a new transmission for all Explorer owners. Regardless of the year or sub model.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Feb 242012

Explorer 6-cyl

I bought my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT and within 1 week the transmission had gone out....have had it repaired and still no good.

- Millington, TN, USA

May 022012

Explorer 6-cyl

The O/D light flickers on and off and there appears to be no third gear, according to three mechanical transmission inspections. Researching websites indicates that this is a known prevalent problem for this vehicle. Need to know: 1. was there a recall? 2. what, if anything, Ford is willing to do to fix or compensate for the considerable expense involved to repair this obvious defect.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Apr 152012

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle transmission has suddenly quit at only 120,000 miles. Because of a code P0775 "pressure control solenoid". shopped the fix (which all repair shops say is very common on early 2000 Ford's) and it will need a $2500 rebuild. Did some online research and found more complaints on this than I can account for. I contacted Ford customer support line and was transferred to my local dealer. Local dealer said I fall outside of any customer appreciation programs and there is nothing they can do than fix it for me for $3200. With the amount of complaints on this issue along with the cracked tailgate that I see on all Ford Explorer I drive by, there should be some sort of forced recall.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Apr 162012

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated the gear shift detached while shifting gears from the park to drive. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 121,000.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Apr 132011

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact was driving 10 mph when the vehicle failed to shift gears properly. The over drive warning light illuminated during the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the first and second gears of the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Berkeley Heights, NJ, USA

Nov 302011

O/D off light flashing and service engine light on constant. Transmission has a hard time shifting from first to second gear. It had approximately 140,000 miles when it first happened. I am not the original owner so I am unsure if this has happened before.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Mar 232012

Out transmission isn't out yet, it's on its way out. When accelerating it stops at 25-35 mph and the RPM rev up to the red limit if you don't take your foot off the gas and it wont switch gears for a minute or so. Sometimes you hear a loud dropping sound and the entire car jerks when it switches gears. This first happened when speeding up on a busy main road near detroit, almost causing us to be rear ended. We took it to a transmission garage and were informed it would be $2,000 or there abouts to fix. Had the other driver not been paying attention or had this happened on a highway myself, my fiance, our four children would have been seriously injured or worse. Apparently the transmission is a recurring problem with this model of vehicle and the manufacturer should be made responsible for this blatantly dangerous defect.

- Portage, MI, USA

Apr 072011

Explorer 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer eb and this car is a piece of crap after I bought the car the tranny is slipping like crazy and its hard to change from park to drive. I have looked it up and there are many people with the same issue and it is a closed tranny so I cant even check the fluid in it but Ford is not doing anything about the issue I will never own a Ford again.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 302012

Explorer 4WD 8-cyl

Been jerky and jumping for 2 years but today the transmission would not upshift when starting out or down-shift when slowing down. The engine went to high RPM with little or no forward progress.all this was preceded by the over-drive light flashing on and off followed next by the check transmission light. Next the check engine light came on. The forums on this vehicle will tell you that this 6 speed automatic transmission on the V-8 engines are just junk. Way to many complaints. Will Ford fix this on an out of warranty vehicle? after pulling.

- Suisun City, CA, USA

Mar 272012

The transmission is having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd, engine light and O/D off lights are on. Local mechanic says that the intermediate band on the transmission is broken. This is a sealed unit with no way to service without a rebuild.

- Effort, PA, USA

Mar 152012

Explorer 6-cyl

My wife started our Explorer and tried to put the vehicle in reverse and the gear shift handle snapped off in her hand. Only to find out that this problem has happened to many other Ford owners! unbelievable! so now I have to have my vehicle towed to a repair shop to have this "Ford problem" fixed! and also shell out over $1000 dollars just so I can get my Explorer back on the road!!! and when I called the local Ford garage to ask about this defect, they acted as if this problem has never happened before! bs!

- Dalton, OH, USA

Aug 152011

Explorer 8-cyl

The transmission is junk. Ford knows this. Rebuilding or replacing the transmission is inevitable...and not just once, because there are known design and manufacturing issues that will only cause the failures to repeat themselves. Unless these failures are dealt with, there are many people on the roads who are at the mercy of luck that the car they are driving or the cars that others are driving near them wont stop dead, stopping them dead. How is this known problem not a public safety issue" have you counted the number of Ford Explorer on the road?" its scary.

- Slippery Rock, PA, USA

Mar 232011

Explorer 6-cyl

2002 Ford Explorer transmission died for the second time after I had the dealership replace it, 75,000 miles ago. I am now sitting at 156000 and it is doing the same things again. This gives me such a bad taste toward Ford, and I have been a die hard Ford guy.

- Arcadia, FM, USA