Aug 212014

Explorer

I was in a accident on August 21, 2014. Two or more deer's ran out in front of my 2002 Ford Explorer and I ran off the road hitting a pole. It crushed the whole front end and my airbag never deployed. My truck is a total loss and I did have on my seat belt but the airbag should of deployed.

- Georgia, GA, USA

Jun 022014

Explorer 8-cyl

First of all the transmission is starting to slip. When accelerating the car transmission slips when shifting into third gear. Took to dealer and they said they need to repair the transmission. The second problem is that the airbag light came on. I have not been in a accident or anything. It just came on. I read online that if the light is on and I am in an accident the airbags wont deploy. This seems really dangerous and should be cover under warranty.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 122014

Explorer 8-cyl

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and it has not been wrecked and I had the light that come on in my dash and they said that my seat belt pretentioner was gone in my seat belt.

- Staley, NC, USA

Mar 162014

Explorer 6-cyl

While driving in eve. I switch lanes and came onto an icy part of road do to broken leaking hydrant hit chuck hole in the road and lost control of my truck and hit pole and hydrant and the complete front end was crushed and no air bags deployed at all. I hurt my chest back and knee's and have headaches.

- Eastcleveland, OH, USA

Jan 302014

Explorer 6-cyl

I was traveling in stop and go traffic. As soon as space opened between me and the vehicle in front of me, I accelerated. While gaining speed I looked in my right rear view mirror to see if I could change lanes. While looking in my mirror the vehicle in front of me stopped. I hit the back of his vehicle with the front of mine. The problem I have is that my airbag(s) fired but did no deploy. You could clearly smell that they fired and my airbag light is now on. My seat belt did not cinch up and restrain me either. This car had been well maintained and was never in an accident before this one. As I see it, it was a total failure of the SRS.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Sep 292013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, another vehicle crashed into the passenger's side, causing the vehicle to spin and then crash into a wall. The air bags failed to deploy. The rear driver's side passenger sustained whip lash and minor bruising. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 200,000.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Sep 112013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 4 mph, the air bags inadvertently deployed without the vehicle being involved in a crash. A police report was filed of the incident. There were no injuries. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 76,000.

- Dumont, NJ, USA

Apr 012011

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that after shifting into reverse, there was an explosion under the hood. The air bags deployed and the engine caught fire. The fire department was present. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the gears slipping where the transmission was rebuilt but the failure was not corrected. The contact and two passengers suffered injuries but they were unknown. The vehicle failure and current mileage was 291,000.

- Guilford , ME, USA

Jul 232012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the driver of the vehicle was forced off the road by another vehicle, causing the driver to lose control and the vehicle to roll over several times. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact was a passenger in the vehicle and sustained injuries to the head, ankle and ribs. In addition, the contact sustained several lacerations and bruises. The driver of the vehicle was killed and the vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was not diagnosed by a mechanic or an authorized dealer for the air bag failure. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 38,089.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Nov 242012

Explorer 8-cyl

While driving down the road my airbag light comes on. On occasion I am just thankful that my air bag has not gone off yet. Also while driving my door ajar light & dome lights come on.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Sep 052012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, he inadvertently stepped on the accelerator pedal and crashed into a pole. The contact suffered a bruised chest, ribs armpit and wrists. He also sustained injuries to the knee and neck. The vehicle was destroyed. All of the air bags in the vehicle failed to deploy. The failure and current mileage was 250,100.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Jul 062012

Explorer

The contact owns 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact was attempting to park and haphazardly depressed the accelerator pedal as opposed to the brake pedal. The vehicle accelerated rapidly, causing the contact to crash into a building. The air bags did not deploy and the contact sustained injuries as a result. A police report was not available. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and was not inspected for the air bag failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was 56,705.

- Lehigh Acres , FL, USA

Mar 132012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while traveling 25 mph, the passenger attempted to secure their seatbelt when the driver and passenger side air bags deployed erroneously and without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was told that the air bags were no longer covered under warranty and provided no assistance.the contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 00V179000(air bags:side window) but was advised by the manufacturer that the recall was irrelevant to the 2002 model year Explorer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 144,000.

- Hutto, TX, USA

Feb 152011

Explorer

Ford has informed dealers that there is a problems with the air bags on 2002 Ford Explorer. If you move the seat too much it disconnects with the air bag. All Ford dealers are aware of the problem, but Ford is not willing to issue recall. Serious safety issue that should require action. It would be a simple fix of the pretensioner located under the seats.

- Westfield, MA, USA

Jan 172012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact started the ignition and the air bag warning indicator continuously illuminated until the engine was turned off. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Jul 012011

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the air bag warning light was illuminated. The dealer made four attempts to duplicate the failure by replacing the driver and passenger side seat belt pretensioners however, the failure continued to occur. The manufacturer had not been notified. The current mileage was 165,000 and the failure mileage was 70,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 01/10/12

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Sep 182011

Explorer

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that after loosing control of the vehicle and crashing into a pole, none of the air bags deployed. A police report was filed and the driver sustained minor contusions. The passenger suffered a broken arm. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 135,000.

- Cleveland , OH, USA

Sep 012008

Explorer 6-cyl

I bought my 2002 Ford Explorer in 2005. At about 85000 miles I noticed the transmission started to slip and often jerks real hard when shifting into 3rd. I had the transmission fluid changed by an authorized Ford dealer in my area and they told me there are no metal shavings in the fluid, however, they did tell me that the 2002 Ford are well knows for having transmission problems and they see it all the time in this make model and year. I called Ford and they told me there are no recalls on the transmission, however, reading all the problems on the internet about owners who have complained, I feel there should be a recall on this because it is a safety issue!

- Schoenchen, KS, USA

Sep 012010

Explorer

Air bag warning light came on, pulled plug apart under drivers, seat sprayed cleaner on it put it back together, took care of that problem. Gear shift lever sheared off. Ford says you need to replace steering column. Went online found a man in sweden that made a replacement part, ordered it, put it on, works great. (why couldn't Ford supply one?) the transmission is starting to act up, you shift in to drive it hesitates and leaps forward, quite hard, same in reverse. Ford should recall this before someone gets hurt.

- Fortuna, CA, USA

Nov 032010

Explorer 6-cyl

I am so disgusted after reading all the same problems with the 2002 Ford Explorer. I too have the airbag problem, they told me it was the airbag pretentioner and it is $650, now my air bag will not deploy if I get into an accident. I have the extended deluxe warranty that wont cover it. I also have a problem with the rear temp and mode actuators that failed and binding again not covered under warranty that is $510 to repair. I truly think Ford should recall these same problems.

- Coventry, CT, USA