8.0

Most common solutions:

1. replace window motor (27 reports)
  3. replaced faulty regulator and faulty switch (10 reports)
  4. replace master switch (9 reports)
  5. I won't buy Ford again (7 reports)
  6. find break in red power wire at door hinge and add jumper (2 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Aug 032014

Explorer E V8

All four window motors went out... had two replaced . Ford should make their cars a little more durable!

- , Marshall, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

It was the rear driver's side motor went out. Cost $45.00 for new motor. Thank goodness I have a husband who knows how to fix all this stuff gone wrong with this vehicle. I have only had this thing for 3 months and I can't believe the money I have put into it. Stay away from this vehicle and the company who manufactured this garbage. They won't repair any problems.

- , West Valley City, UT, USA

Dec 312013

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

Door switch stopped working and I couldn't even roll the window back up. It went down but would not go back up. My husband rigged it up until I was able to purchase a new one and he replaced it. Another 62.00 dollars.

Gee, thanks Ford for manufacturing a POS vehicle and selling it to people who work their asses off every day.

- , West Valley City, UT, USA

Jul 052013

Explorer Limited V6

Back in July 2013 my front passenger window stopped working, also my rear driver's side window stopped working. I paid $260 to get them fixed. In December they stopped working again, I did not have them fixed. The man who looked at them said there is a default in them somewhere that they won't keep working. I want them fixed right.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 242014

Explorer Limited V6

last friday the coldest day of the year here in ohio, I put my window down to adjust the mirror and it would not come back up. when you push the button it went deeper down and stopped working all together.I had to drive home with the window open with a wind chill of -8. I was really pissed off.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

May 012012

Explorer XLT V6

I have really loved this SUV - up until this past year. One of the back power windows a few months ago suddenly fell down a couple of inches and stayed there. Nothing happened when I pressed the switch. What a pain! We taped plastic up to keep the elements out, which is really attractive, until I got it fixed . . . $350.00 later. A couple of months later the same thing happened on the other side! I couldn't leave anything in the car as it could be easily entered, my kids were getting rained on and embarrassed to be seen riding with plastic & duct tape on a window again. So I had to spend money on a repair again! One time they told me it was the switch, the other window they told me it was the motor. Yesterday, one of the windows I already had fixed dropped down a couple of inches!! I can't keep doing these $300+ repairs every couple of months for the same thing! We pulled the window up & put a little wedge of wood on the inside to keep it from falling again. Now I've got kids complaining that they can't lower the windows cause I'm afraid they will get stuck down again. I was parked by a guy in a shopping center who had the same exact car as me. I asked him if he ever had any problem with the windows & he said YES he's had to have them fixed THREE TIMES! Why isn't this a recall?

- , Independence, OH, USA

Jul 052012

Explorer 4.0L V6

The left rear window will not work. It was already repaired in 2004. I am not having it fixed again.

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Mar 312004

Explorer 4.0L V6

The left rear window would not operate. Upon inspection they said it needed a new window switch.

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Apr 112012

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I own two Ford trucks, one being an 2002 explorer. 3 out of the 8 power windows between the two have gone bad. That by itself is annoying and inexcusable to be honest.

But after hearing people spending anywhere from $300 to $600 per window to get them fixed i decided to do one myself. The replacement piece comes as one unit - regulator, motor, cable and all brackets. All assembled. In a four door explorer, there is a different part number for each door - front and rear, right and left sides.

I bought the two rear units (which had both failed) from en Ebay seller for $90 each which included shipping. They come with NO instructions so be prepared to search online for help. Especially look at YouTube where there is always something useless for damn near everything.

Each one took about 2 hours. and i saved conceivably $400-$1000.

BTW - the failure? It was a small plastic piece on the end of the cables that simply broke off. Amazing that Ford thought this would actually hold up more than a few years if that long.

- , Olney, MD, USA

Aug 142010

Explorer

While on vacation I rolled the window rear passenger window down, when I arrived at the hotel the window would not roll up. I had to pay a gas station attendant to take the door panel off and get the window up. I cannot to this day open the rear passenger door from the inside. October 2010 I rolled the rear driver window down and it would not roll back up. I paid someone to get the window up until I could get it repaired, but in the meantime I'm having to use cardboard to hold the window up.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Jul 222010

Explorer V6

Drivers side window automatically goes down - will not go back up. I have replaced master power window switch 4 times (approx $35 each time) I now plug one into to put windows up, and swap it to put the window back up. From reading other issues - I believe the wiring harness needs replaced. I am sure this will be a dealer item and cost a fortune. Any assistance on where to purchase the wiring harness or details on how to fix ourselves would be greatly appreciated! If I can get that fixed, the switch is still under warranty and will be replaced for free!!

- , Ashtabula, OH, USA

Feb 212012

Explorer 4.0L Litre Sohc

I just bought this P.O.S on Saturday. Put it in the garage to change rear diff fluid, and rolled the window driver's window down. I changed the fluid (which didn't help), and started the car to back up. I hit the window switch, and nothing, I tried the other windows, nothing. W.T.F. I will be getting rid of this P.O.S.,as soon as I can. I'll probably take a loss on this thing ,but I don't care . It is unsafe to drive, with windows that don't operate. In an emergency you could be trapped in the vehicle. Now I know why people buy foreign vehicles! This is the last FORD that I will ever own.

- , Joliet, IL, USA

Dec 082011

Explorer

Problem that is so annoying, have to pull window up, and it won't stay there. Now got duct tape on in for the winter, that looks cool! I never had this problem before with any other vehicles. Will get fixed sometime when I get the extra money.

- , Concord, MI, USA

Feb 202010

Explorer XL 4.0L

The windows have a mind of their own-work off and on.

C'mon Ford!

- , Granby, CO, USA

May 142011

Explorer

OK SO I JUST GOT MY CAR BACK ON WEDNESDAY AND HERE IT IS SATURDAY AND THE DRIVERS SIDE WINDOW IS DOWN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WILL BE THE 7TH TIME THAT THE SWITCH HAS HAD TO BE REPLACED IN THIS VEHICLE SINCE I BOUGHT IT 8 MONTHS AGO!!!!!!!! THIS IS BEYOND RIDICULOUS AND IS DANGEROUS!!! FORD REFUSE TO RECOGNIZE THIS AS A DANGEROUS ISSUE BUT WHEN WE HAVE TO JUMP THE WINDOW BACK UP AND LEAVE THE SWITCH DISCONNECTED THAT IS DANGEROUS!!!!! YOUR WINDOWS NEED TO BE ABLE TO COME DOWN IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT!!! SO WHO ARE THESE IDIOTS THAT SAY THIS IS NOT DANGEROUS?! THEY ARE SOME OVERPAID JERKS WHO PROBABLY DRIVE LEXUS, MERCEDES, OR JAGUARS AND CONSIDER US THE LITTLE PEOPLE!! WELL GUESS WHAT!! WE LITTLE PEOPLE PAY YOUR BILLS AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT THIS LOYAL FORD CUSTOMER IS NO LONGER LOYAL AND WILL BE BUYING ANOTHER MAKE AND MODEL OF VEHICLE!!!!!!!! ANYONE CONSIDERING BUYING A FORD EXPLORER, ESPECIALLY A 2002 DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND JUST DON'T!!!!!!!

May 092011

Explorer

I bought this vehicle just 8 months ago and this is the 6th time I have had to have this problem repaired!!!!!! This is absolutely ridiculous!! And to be honest FORD can go to h*!!!! I will NEVER again purchase a FORD!!!!!! The thing that I don't understand is that FORD refuses to recall this issue because they say that it is not dangerous!!! Ok...leave me run a scenario by the FORD idiots that say this is NOT dangerous...I am involved in an accident, I am unconscious, the only way for my 4 children in the back of my Explorer to get out is to wind down their windows....BUT THEY CAN'T CAUSE I HAVE THE PLUG DISCONNECTED BECAUSE MY WINDOWS WILL NOT STOP GOING DOWN ON THEIR OWN!!!!! So say my Explorer is on fire and now my kids cannot get out because of your so called intelligent people that make this oh so great decision that this is NOT a danger to anyone (guess we should just keep forking out $100 to $300 to fix it every month or more) and now my husband and the father of my kids is now going to sue the h* out of FORD because we all died just because our windows wouldn't go down!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY I GET THAT THIS IS A LITTLE FAR FETCHED BUT THIS IS REALITY AND CAN POTENTIALLY KILL SOMEONE!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 222011

Explorer

This is the second time my driver window has refused to work. It is in the repair shop now getting a new motor and track. This has cost me $1100.00 canadian for the 2 replacements.

- , Drayton Valley, Alberta, canada

Apr 042011

Explorer

I WOULD NEVER BY A FORD AGAIN. POWER WINDOWS WORK WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE WORKING. HAD TO REPLACE THE ENGINE AT 147000 MILES.

- , Athens, GA, USA

Feb 092011

Explorer

This was the 3rd time since I bought this vehicle in September of 2010 that this problem has occurred! The window went down and would not go back up. Yet again the switch was replaced and fixed the problem...or so I thought...AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! This is absolutely ridiculous! I mean seriously?! Why is this such a problem!?

Sep 202010

Explorer

This was the 1st time that this problem occurred. I replaced the switch and it fixed it...or so I thought!