6.6

Most common solutions:

1. Ford should recall (222 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (143 reports)
  4. replace the panel (28 reports)
  5. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (13 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Aug 212007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

It's a running joke. You see them everywhere. Ours happened in the summer years ago. We came out one day and there it was, like we had finally been accepted into the club. So far we only have one, I've seen cars with as many as three. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked how that happened or what caused it. It's fun to respond "Nothing". Once you let people know to look for it, it becomes a game. They will come back to you and tell you they find it on every Ford they see in the years of this model..

There should be a recall/settlement on the transmission as well. Everyone has had to make the choice to get a new one or move on. Owners know it and mechanics know.

The 3 or so years of this model of Ford Explorer will gift you with a bad transmission and a cracked rear door bezel. Ford reliability!

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 012009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Cannot find used back panel. Looks awful and has caused rust in tailgate.

- , Seneca Falls, NY, USA

Feb 162013

Explorer XLT V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I have always taken pride in keeping my Explorer clean. Needless to say I was embarrassed to drive it when it first occurred. Then I started to notice other Explorers that were similar in age having the same problem. These days it's almost impossible to find one without the crack.

I feel that Ford should come up with a fix for the problem and either pay for it or allow you to bring it into a dealer for repair at Ford's expense.

- , Boise, ID, USA

Jun 012005

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

I traded in my 1995 Ford Explorer, which I was very satisfied with, for this 2003 Ford Explorer. During the second year of ownership, the rear window latch became hard to close. Shortly after that, I noticed the crack in the rear panel below the glass. I took it to the dealership for repair, as it was still under warranty. They replaced the latch but refused to fix or replace the cracked panel! I believe the faulty latch is what caused the panel to crack in the first place! I was pissed!

I talked to the manager of the dealership (Greenway Ford, Orlando), he wouldn't help. I wrote letters and left voice messages with Ford Headquarters and got no response. I've owned six Fords in my life and would've continued to buy Fords, but they have lost me forever. I will NEVER buy another Ford! I told my kids, if they ever buy a Ford, I will disown them!

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 152011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Panel under rear window cracked. I talked to ford company they said they would not fix this.My wife and myself count all the explorers we see with cracked panels and we have lost count there are so many.

- , Ooltewah, TN, USA

Jul 312012

Explorer XL 4.0L

Looks bad, have to get it repaired. please continue with the lawsuit so they can pay for the repair.

- , Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Sep 172009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

cracked panel below the rear window

I brought my 03 Explorer to the local Ford Dealer where I live in Southern MD, Service Mgr told me it could on be fixed under warranty even though Ford had a TSB on this issue.They really need to step up to the plate and fix this. Like somebody said in a previous complaint there are more rear cracks on these 2002 - 2005 Explorers then there is at a plumbers' convention.

- , Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Apr 252011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Panel under rear window cracked, which according to Ford, is a common problem. I hate it cause it just looks ugly and makes my truck look cheap.

- , Jacksonville, NC, USA

Mar 192014

Explorer Limited V8

Almost every explorer from 2001-2005 has this problem. It is obviously a manufacturer defect that Ford should address.

- , Brookline, MA, USA

Oct 102007

Explorer XL V8

Worse vehicle I ever owned, continually replacing the wheel bearings along with the cracked panel. I eventually had the panel replaced, because water was going into the back of the vehicle.

- , Evansville, IN, USA

Nov 152013

Explorer XLT V6

My Ford SUV has been my baby since 2003. Tough as nails and very dependable. I used to see all those other Ford SUV's with the crack under the rear window by the emblem and wondered why so many people had an anger management problem. Then I found out why first hand. I took my Ford through the car wash in November. I recall it was very cold out that day. I drove through the wash and the last cycle came on...Heated blowers. Next thing I heard was the crack of a gunshot. I thought the rear window had shattered. When I checked I had the symbolic Ford crack under the rear window like everyone else - I had just joined the p.o. Ford owners club.

- , Sanatoga, PA, USA

Jun 112005

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

I have seen the crack under the rear window on many Explorers and have talked to the dealerships about it and their response is that Ford is unwilling to fix the problem.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Jun 012012

Explorer XLT 3.0L V6

Whenever since my back cracked panel underneath my window has been broken, I can't set my alarm on my SUV because it won't quit going off, so therefore I can't lock my SUV. I want this problem fixed.

- , Piketon, OH, USA

Oct 082009

Explorer XL 4.0L

This problem is annoying and should be fixed at Ford's expense.

- , broken bow, OK - Oklahoma, USA

Jun 152014

Explorer Exployer V6

The panel NEEDS TO BE FIXED TO PREVENT THE PANEL TO CRACK. IF YOU LOOK AT THE HATCHBACK, IT IS NOT SET RIGHT. THE WHOLE DOOR NEEDS FIXING TO PREVENT THIS PANEL TO CRACK.

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Nov 272013

Explorer V6

Ford needs to fix the problem, like how my transmission went at 85000 miles and they know of the problem but ate not doing anyhting about this is is a joke.

- , New Britain, CT, USA

Jan 152013

Explorer V8

Ford needs to do a recall since there are so many cars with the same problem.

- , Santee, CA, USA

Apr 052008

Explorer ES 3.2L V6

I have seen several Ford Explorer's with the crack on the rear panel. This should be a defect and Ford should recall. Mine has been cracked for several years. I was trying to figure out what I did to make it crack and then I started seeing more cracked rear panels on Ford Explorer's than I could count. And I live in a remote area.

- , Red River, NM, USA

May 012005

Explorer LX 4.0L V6

cracked panel below the rear window

As much as Ford is proud of their name, you would think a crack on pretty much every Explorer on the road, right next to their logo, would get their attention. They should be ashamed! I will never buy another Ford if they don't recall it and I've always bought Fords!

- , Plant City, FL, USA

Dec 082009

Explorer XLT 6 cyl

Every time I see an Explorer, I see the same crack.

- , Bedford Hills, NY, USA