Most common solutions:

1. Ford should recall (221 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (139 reports)
  4. replace the panel (26 reports)
  5. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (13 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Jun 112005

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

I have seen the crack under the rear window on many Explorers and have talked to the dealerships about it and their response is that Ford is unwilling to fix the problem.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Jun 012012

Explorer XLT 3.0L V6

Whenever since my back cracked panel underneath my window has been broken, I can't set my alarm on my SUV because it won't quit going off, so therefore I can't lock my SUV. I want this problem fixed.

- , Piketon, OH, USA

Oct 082009

Explorer XL 4.0L

This problem is annoying and should be fixed at Ford's expense.

- , broken bow, OK - Oklahoma, USA

Jun 152014

Explorer Exployer V6

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Nov 272013

Explorer V6

Ford needs to fix the problem, like how my transmission went at 85000 miles and they know of the problem but ate not doing anyhting about this is is a joke.

- , New Britain, CT, USA

Jan 152013

Explorer V8

Ford needs to do a recall since there are so many cars with the same problem.

- , Santee, CA, USA

Apr 052008

Explorer ES 3.2L V6

I have seen several Ford Explorer's with the crack on the rear panel. This should be a defect and Ford should recall. Mine has been cracked for several years. I was trying to figure out what I did to make it crack and then I started seeing more cracked rear panels on Ford Explorer's than I could count. And I live in a remote area.

- , Red River, NM, USA

May 012005

Explorer LX 4.0L V6

cracked panel below the rear window

As much as Ford is proud of their name, you would think a crack on pretty much every Explorer on the road, right next to their logo, would get their attention. They should be ashamed! I will never buy another Ford if they don't recall it and I've always bought Fords!

- , Plant City, FL, USA

Dec 082009

Explorer XLT 6 cyl

Every time I see an Explorer, I see the same crack.

- , Bedford Hills, NY, USA

Nov 082014

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

They need to recall and fix the cracked back door panels. I have no heat and a cracked back door panel because they were trying to save money and used plastic instead of metal. I wonder if Ford Executives would drive around with no heat, cracked back door panels, paint peeling off hood? Oh, but they would not be able to drive the 2003 Ford Explorer until they bought a new motor and rebuilt the transmission because they blew up also before hitting the 100,000!!!!!!!

- , Freeland, PA, USA

Jan 012006

Explorer XLT

I found out long ago that I was not the only one having this issue of the rear tailgate up panel having a crack in the plastic. I took it to Ford and they looked at me like I had two heads, and said you were the first complaint with this problem. I had the car for several years when I took it in with this problem. Hmmmm, no recalls no mention. How weird, I'm the only one in the world with this problem?

I asked further and they said $300 for a new panel plus paint and labor to finish it. $500 to $600.

Ya, ok, I'll get right on top of that. I bought some narrow stick on plastic molding and created my own "cover up"

Why do dealerships lie to our faces, yet when we go to buy our new cars or trucks, they agree with everything we say and the BS continues. Do dealership sales and service people grow up to be politicians?

- , Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Mar 242010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

When I talked to a Ford service person, he said he'd seen numerous cracked back panels, but Ford would not pay to fix them. Not acceptable!

- , Burgin, KY, USA

Nov 202010

Explorer Eddie Bauer

The cracks in the rear panel are bad and getting worse. The large crack is separating and I'm afraid the window is going to come out. The rear panel rattles when I'm driving. I can't understand why Ford will not fix this problem. If you walk through a parking lot you can see all the Explorer's that have cracked rear panels. I would think Ford would be embarrassed by this problem. After all, Ford used to be proud of their products.

- , Rio Vista, CA, USA

Oct 172014

Explorer Limited V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I am very unhappy that Ford has decided not to institute a fix for this well-know issue.

- , Anaheim, CA, USA

Jul 142004

Explorer XLT 4.6L

It's ugly to look at, it's annoying and every other one other I see has the same problem. Are the Ford people stupid or what? Maybe they just don't give a sh*t!!!

- , Box Elder, SD, USA

Nov 012012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

3 cracks on the lift gate below the window, haven't seen a 2003 Ford Explorer without this problem yet.

- , Lompoc, CA, USA

Aug 082009

Explorer XLT V8

Shows how much Ford cares about their product after it leaves the dealership. Should be a warning to all potential Ford buyers.

- , St. Augustine, FL, USA

Feb 012008

Explorer NBX 4.0L, V6

I just thought I would add my cracked window panel to the list.

I bought my Explorer NBX new in October 2002.

In February 2008 driving to Denver on a very cold day, we all heard a loud crack that you could feel too. As there was no debris on the freeway, I thought it was not a rock, but maybe someone has shot the car. I pulled over a few miles later, and taa daa, there was a 1/4 inch crack in the rear window panel.

I talked to the dealer. No help. I wrote to Ford. No help.

As it does not leak, I have not had it fixed to date. I consider it free advertising for Ford Quality.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 032013

Explorer V6

I have always tried to take pride and care in my Explorer. The area below the back window cracked last year. It is an eye sore. I have noticed several other Ford Explorer's on the road and in the area that I live with the same defect. Ford should take care of this problem because all of the defects that I have noticed are in the same location as mine. The crack is to the right of the Ford emblem and it goes from the top to the bottom of the panel section.

- , Ringgold, GA, USA

Oct 012010

Explorer XLS Sport 4.0L V6

cracked panel below the rear window

this is such a common and fairly expensive issue, i find it insulting and annoying that ford has let this continue without any action.it gets worse and worse without any fault of my own. I strongly believe there has to be a resolution to this ridiculous problem. Ford needs to hold some accountability and do something quick.

- , Boise, ID, USA