6.6

Most common solutions:

1. Ford should recall (221 reports)
  2. repair or replace tailgate (139 reports)
  4. replace the panel (24 reports)
  5. need a redesigned tailgate (22 reports)
  6. ford needs to pay for being fixed (10 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Nov 082014

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

They need to recall and fix the cracked back door panels. I have no heat and a cracked back door panel because they were trying to save money and used plastic instead of metal. I wonder if Ford Executives would drive around with no heat, cracked back door panels, paint peeling off hood? Oh, but they would not be able to drive the 2003 Ford Explorer until they bought a new motor and rebuilt the transmission because they blew up also before hitting the 100,000!!!!!!!

- , Freeland, PA, USA

Jan 012006

Explorer XLT

I found out long ago that I was not the only one having this issue of the rear tailgate up panel having a crack in the plastic. I took it to Ford and they looked at me like I had two heads, and said you were the first complaint with this problem. I had the car for several years when I took it in with this problem. Hmmmm, no recalls no mention. How weird, I'm the only one in the world with this problem?

I asked further and they said $300 for a new panel plus paint and labor to finish it. $500 to $600.

Ya, ok, I'll get right on top of that. I bought some narrow stick on plastic molding and created my own "cover up"

Why do dealerships lie to our faces, yet when we go to buy our new cars or trucks, they agree with everything we say and the BS continues. Do dealership sales and service people grow up to be politicians?

- , Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Mar 242010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

When I talked to a Ford service person, he said he'd seen numerous cracked back panels, but Ford would not pay to fix them. Not acceptable!

- , Burgin, KY, USA

Nov 202010

Explorer Eddie Bauer

The cracks in the rear panel are bad and getting worse. The large crack is separating and I'm afraid the window is going to come out. The rear panel rattles when I'm driving. I can't understand why Ford will not fix this problem. If you walk through a parking lot you can see all the Explorer's that have cracked rear panels. I would think Ford would be embarrassed by this problem. After all, Ford used to be proud of their products.

- , Rio Vista, CA, USA

Oct 172014

Explorer Limited V6

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I am very unhappy that Ford has decided not to institute a fix for this well-know issue.

- , Anaheim, CA, USA

Jul 142004

Explorer XLT 4.6L

It's ugly to look at, it's annoying and every other one other I see has the same problem. Are the Ford people stupid or what? Maybe they just don't give a sh*t!!!

- , Box Elder, SD, USA

Nov 012012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

3 cracks on the lift gate below the window, haven't seen a 2003 Ford Explorer without this problem yet.

- , Lompoc, CA, USA

Aug 082009

Explorer XLT V8

Shows how much Ford cares about their product after it leaves the dealership. Should be a warning to all potential Ford buyers.

- , St. Augustine, FL, USA

Feb 012008

Explorer NBX 4.0L, V6

I just thought I would add my cracked window panel to the list.

I bought my Explorer NBX new in October 2002.

In February 2008 driving to Denver on a very cold day, we all heard a loud crack that you could feel too. As there was no debris on the freeway, I thought it was not a rock, but maybe someone has shot the car. I pulled over a few miles later, and taa daa, there was a 1/4 inch crack in the rear window panel.

I talked to the dealer. No help. I wrote to Ford. No help.

As it does not leak, I have not had it fixed to date. I consider it free advertising for Ford Quality.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 032013

Explorer V6

I have always tried to take pride and care in my Explorer. The area below the back window cracked last year. It is an eye sore. I have noticed several other Ford Explorer's on the road and in the area that I live with the same defect. Ford should take care of this problem because all of the defects that I have noticed are in the same location as mine. The crack is to the right of the Ford emblem and it goes from the top to the bottom of the panel section.

- , Ringgold, GA, USA

Oct 012010

Explorer XLS Sport 4.0L V6

cracked panel below the rear window

this is such a common and fairly expensive issue, i find it insulting and annoying that ford has let this continue without any action.it gets worse and worse without any fault of my own. I strongly believe there has to be a resolution to this ridiculous problem. Ford needs to hold some accountability and do something quick.

- , Boise, Idaho, USA

Sep 012013

Explorer NBX 3.2L V6

This is a design flaw that Ford knew about for 2002-2005 Explorers. A class action suit has been filed, but thousands of Explorer owners are left in the dark. It costs about $450 to have this repaired, Ford knew about the problem but covered it up, and thousands of Explorer owners are left holding the bag with de-valued vehicles and a safety hazard.

- , Alameda, CA, USA

Jan 282010

Explorer XLS V6

This crack is above the Ford logo on my truck, and the court clerk in my city has the same things on ;hers. Its a pain, Ford dealership says no recall and they were not aware of a problem. Just wish Ford would fix it.

- , Sikeston, MO, USA

Nov 142012

Explorer XLT V8

cracked panel below the rear window

One day while driving, I heard a loud crack and felt my 2003 Ford Explorer XLT jolt from the impact of the crack. I stopped to see if someone had hit me with their vehicle. But there was no one else on the road but me. I arrived at home and inspected the vehicle and found that the rear panel under the back window had cracked and split completely. Upon researching, it has come to my attention that this is a known issue with this vehicle. Up to this point, I have no recourse but to fix it myself. This is a widely know problem and should be recalled. This is not normal wear and tear, and my vehicle has never been in an accident.

- , Tecumseh, Ontario, canada

Feb 182014

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

2003 Ford Explorer XLT purchased new in 2003. Car has many flaws. The one which I am going to rant about is the rear lift gate. Rear applique crack formed in February of 2014 as on almost every Explorer Mountaineer and Aviator all have. On April 25th 2014 I opened the glass lift gate to retrieve some items. I then closed the glass lift gate and it shattered into a million pieces. I suffered cuts on my arm but nothing needing medical attention. After researching this problem I see I am not alone on both these issues.

I am joining the class action law suit in hopes to recover some if not all costs to repair. So far cost is about $750.00 for new glass and a new set of hinges because one was bent. I still have to find a body shop to paint the rear applique because this part is not painted to match the vehicle. So I am estimating the total cost to be close to $1000.00.

- , Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jun 152010

Explorer Eddie Bauer

This has been an ongoing conversation with my Ford Dealer. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact month and year I first began having a conversation with the service manager about this problem. It has been several years. During each regular car maintenance, I have been informed that the crack was cosmetic only. I was assured nothing bad could happen as a result of the cracks. Unfortunately, over time the cracks have gotten wider and longer. The change in temperature affects the cracks on a daily basis. I am so sorry I accepted the explanation of the service manager and did not press the issue from the very beginning! We worry about the integrity of the tailgate every time we close it. It seems reasonable to think that at some point, parts are going to fly off and someone is going to get hurt.

My Ford Dealer is still saying this is not a problem and will not affect the resale value of the car. He gave a quote of $700 to replace the panel. That has since been reduced to $450. He tells me that because of the age of the car, it is not worth spending the money to fix the tailgate panel. In fact he recommended I consider trading the car in for a new Ford. The car has about 50,000 miles on it. It has had regular maintenance and runs well. It looks great, unless you are looking at the back end!

Observation confirms that this is a problem with a huge percentage of Explorers, Mountaineers and Aviators. It is very difficult to find one that DOES NOT have at least one crack. Most have two or three cracks.

We have loved our Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer since the day we bought it. We have sung the praises of the car for many years. Unfortunately, any conversation about our vehicle these days reflects negatively on Ford, and the Ford dealer. As anyone who has discussed the issue with Ford knows, they have not been able to offer a reasonable explanation for not accepting responsibility and offering customer support to address the cracked tailgate problem.

- , Evanston, IL, USA

Aug 012012

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

First, I never use the tailgate, just use passenger doors for stores and stuff. Months later, my wife started to use the tailgate and so did I. Less than a month after I used it the first time I notice a small crack in the tailgate plastic panel over the logo. 6 months of driving later, and its nearly completely through the entire panel. 2 years into it, I now have two cracks!

SERIOUSLY!

THIS IS THE REASON THERE WAS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR CRACKED TAILGATES! EVERY EXPLORER OF THIS MODEL HAS THE SAME PROBLEM AND FORD KNEW ABOUT IT AND DID NOTHING!

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Dec 042013

Explorer XLS 4.0L Flex Fuel

Metal panel looks ugly with crack. Also, plastic panel below metal crack where rear tailgate release is has cracked. This should have been a metal piece to begin with. Over the years, it has cracked due to people reaching for release handle.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 172010

Explorer LX V6

I think even though it isnt a safety issue, Ford should pay to repair.

- , Medina, NY, USA

Oct 082006

Explorer XLT V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

Ford COME ON!!! MY CRACKED REAR PANEL IS EMBARRASSING! Please fix it.

Update from Nov 12, 2014: Since the first complaint, I have been experiencing electrical, transmission, water damage underneath. The padding is eroded. The wiper doesn't work any longer. Im really upset at ford for not believing this consisted problem. I love my truck, and this is out of control. Please help me!

Update from Nov 12, 2014: