9.2

$2,627.00

Most common solutions:

1. replace/rebuild transmission (55 reports)
  3. belt/clutch repair (2 reports)
  4. rebuild / replace transmission (2 reports)
  5. rebuild transmission (1 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Apr 182011

Explorer 4.0L V6 Flex Fuel

The transmission did not fail per se, but it certainly has a problem although it works flawlessly. I took it in to a transmission shop for a fluid exchange as it is a closed system which usually requires that the pan is dropped. The owner (who is a 33 yr. Ford transmission veteran) found large shavings of metal in the bottom, and a ΒΌ inch piece of what looked like a snap ring. He wanted to immediately pull the thing apart and rebuild it better for a cost of not less than 10 days and $2,400 -$3,400. I think for those prices, I ought to let the thing fail completely since it still works fine. In other news I just completed installing new front bearings because the old ones caused vibration and noise, and expect the rear bearings to go along with the differential which leaks around the seal. I also have the paint bubbling up at the hood and the crack in the rear door latch cover.

I was told that the 4.0 liter engines are excellent, but Ford makes their transmissions with a life expectancy of 100,000 miles, at which point they hope the owner will trade in the vehicle and buy another new car. Such is life.

- , Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Apr 012011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

So my 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer has been very well maintained. First it loses complete power on a mountain pass, then stopped altogether. Local mechanics claim exhaust went back up into engine...I had the y pipe exhaust, catalytic converters and ball joints replaced. Months later, I drove a few miles, parked, left 20 minutes later and the gear shifter moved fine, but the suv didn't ! Now I learn after doing research online that this is a very common problem for especially 2002-2005 Explorers-the trannys go out at 100k miles. I still owe 4k on the darned thing and now hear the replacement or rebuild of the transmission will cost over 3k...I mean COME ON!! I am not a rich person, and expected my vehicle to last me a lot longer than this!

- , Roslyn, WA, USA

Jul 252008

Explorer LS 3.0L V6

The truck was about five years old when this happened. I'd expect it on a ten year old truck. I called Ford-no recalls. I had to pull out my retirement fund to get this fixed. After the rear wheel falling off, I was ready to shoot and salute...however, I still owe on the truck, I'm hoping it does not happen again. My hopes are not that high though.

- , Clare, MI, USA

Feb 092011

Explorer Edie Bauer 4.0L V6

It's been 25 years since I owned an American manufactured car. I finally purchase a Ford, and what did I get? A failed transmission at just over 100,000 miles. These days, with a Honda or Toyota, both of which I've owned, this is unheard of. Unless Ford makes good on this repair, I won't ever purchase one again.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 042010

Explorer XLT V8

Ford should step up to the problem of the known transmission problems in the Ford explorers. The OD light came on and then Check engine light. Now $3000 latter and paying for rental car while the car is getting fixed is not a good economcial situation.

- , Springbrook Twp, PA, USA

Feb 262011

Explorer LX V6

WHEN I LOOK UP THE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS W/THE FORD EXPLORERS, AND HAVED TALKED TO MECHANICS, THEY SAID THIS IS A NORMAL PROBLEM, FOR FORD TO RECOGNIZE IT AS A DEFECT AND NOT FIX IT, IS WRONG. I DEPEND ON THIS CAR AND NOW HAVE NO CAR SINCE I CAN NOT AFFORD TO FIX IT.

- , Fairfield, CA, USA

Jan 012011

Explorer XLT

my 2003 explorer only has 70,000k and the transmission should not be in this condition. this vehicle should be recalled obviously for this problem. we should be given a goodwill repair by our dealership of purchase. this is crazy that i'm making payments for a car thats sitting in my parking lot. everyone with these model year trucks should complain to our local news reporter and bring the cameras to the dealership after they refuse the goodwill repair on a vehicle they new would be problematic!!!!

- , Fresh Meadows, NY, USA

Feb 162011

Explorer

THAT ALL FORDS IN MODEL YEAR 2003 WILL BE LED TO A TRANSMISSION FAILURE DUE TO THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO TRANSMISSION DIPSTICK IN MOST OF THE MODELS SO YOU HAVE NO IDEA AND ALSO IF ITS FROM A USED CAR DEALER, THEY WILL NOT TELL YOU! IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHEN TO FILL THE TRANSMISSION FLUID, ITS A SETUP FOR A POORLY DESIGNED VEHICLE! THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY KNOWS AND WANTS YOU TO KNOW THAT IT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU IF IT BREAKS DOWN WITHOUT GIVING UP YOUR FIRSTBORN TO REPAIR IT! FORD MOTOR COMPANY YOU SHOULD RECALL AND REPLACE ALL OF THESE VEHICLES WITH THE FAULTY TRANSMISSIONS!!!!!!!

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 042011

Explorer XLT V6

This is what makes people switch to driving japanese cars. who engineered this transmission should be looking for a different job

- , castle hayne, NC - North Carolina, USA

Jun 162010

Explorer 6.0L

WELL I PURCHASED THIS VEHICLE IN FLORIDA TO BRING BACK TO ONTARIO AS I HAD GOOD LUCK WITH EXPLORERS IN THE PAST. NOT THIS ONE. AT 72,000 MILES IT STARTED SLIPPING THE TRANSMISSION AND LOUD CLUNKING NOISES WHEN TAKING OFF AND STOPPING. MY MECHANIC SAID THAT FORD MADE THE TRANSMISSIONS SLOPPY IN THESE VEHICLES. WELL HERE WE ARE AT 102,000 AND THE VEHICLE CAN NOT BE DRIVIN AS IT NEEDS A TRANSMISSION. THANKS FOR FOR THE SH*T YOU ARE PUTTING OUT NOW.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE. 3000.00 TO REPAIR IT.

- , Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Jul 142010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

About the same problem except not yet had engine light come on. Took it to local Ford Dealer, cost 94.95 and said would need torque converter and Valve body replaced. Received diag code P0741 or TCC system malfunction, Write up said trans has internal issues and other known internal concerns as well as age and trans will need replacing.. They offered a trans for 2250.00 plus labor. Total 3400.00. Checking other transmission shop prices.

- , Chatt Hills, GA, USA

Nov 152010

Explorer Limited V8

This truck is only 8 years old and I'm now putting in my third transmission. This is ridiculous!

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 232009

Explorer V6

transmission always was hard clunking into reverse or park,bought brand new took it to dealership,they said nothing wrong.then it went out with 90,000 miles on it.had to have fixed $3700.00 later!paid 30 grand new for this,what a rip off.

- , Plymouth, IN, USA

Sep 272010

Explorer XLT 4.0L

in the middle of driving all of the sudden this light comes on and I don't what to do. I go to some mechanic he says "sensors". but this is not true because I have an other problem, to report later, the transmission does not shift gears smoothly, My mechanic, after hooking the computer to the car, "the transmission has problems with gear # 2 and #5. We need to open and examine, he also said that the worst case scenario it will cost me ambout $1500, if we put a used transmission in.

Update from Nov 2, 2010: I had it repaired by a specialized mechanic workshop. They had it rebuilt and warranted the transmission for two years. it cost $1,500 flat. now the truck drives smoothly and beautifully.

- , Livonia, MI, USA

Jul 262010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

THIS TRUCK IS ONLY 7YRS.OLD AND IM ALREADY PAYING FOR A TRANSMISSION TO BE REBUILT! AND TO MY SURPRISE,IT ALREADY HAD A FORD MANUFATURED REBUILT TRANSMITION IT! I HAD TO KICK OUT 2000 DOLLARS BECAUSE FORD WOULD NOT HONOR THE WARRENTY THAT THE TRANSMISION WAS STILL UNDER BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE THE RECEIPT !THE SERIAL NUMBER DID IDENTIFY WHEN THE REBUILT ONE WAS BROUGHT,AND THE MILES THAT WERE RECORDED AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE,BUT FORD WOULDNT EVEN GIVE ME A GOOD WILL REPAIR BECAUSE THEY SAID NO PROOF WITHOUT RECEIPT!T

HIS IS A BUNCH OF BS WHEN IM STILL PAYING FOR THIS TRUCK AND ITS TRANSMITTION HAS ALREADY BEEN REBUILT TWICE!THE MILES I PUT ON IT IS LESS THAN NOTHING BECAUSE I ONLY DRIVE FROM POINT A TO POINT B!WHEN I SPOKE WITH FORD THEY STATED THAT IF I BRING THE TRUCK INPLEASE PEOPLE WE REALLY NEED A CLASS ACTION LAW SUITE ABOUT THIS!NO RECALLS HAS BEEN MADE THUS FAR AND ITS A CRYING SHAME WHEN YOU TRY TO PURSCHASE A SAFE VEHICLE THAT U CAN AFFORD TO CARGO YOU AND YOUR CHILDREN!I WANT MY MONEY BACK AND I PROMISE YOU I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD AND I WILL DISCOURAGE ANYBODY ELSE WHO WILL

- , Fairless Hills, PA, USA

Aug 152010

Explorer XLT V8

Along with transmission failure, the same 2003 ford explored V8 has problem with Door ajar light coming on & going off when all doors are shut tight

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 162009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

My transmission died prematurely and had to be completely rebuilt for copious $$. This is very aggravating considering that it happed ~20K BEFORE the first maintenance was due! This should never happen to a well maintained vehicle. The mechanic showed me the part that failed due to metal fatigue. I replaced this vehicle with an Infiniti and will now confine its use to teaching my kids how to drive (go ahead Billy, bounce it off the curb!). Ford sucks and I'll never buy another one.

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Apr 272009

Explorer V6

P.O.C.!!! No really, this would be an awesome vehicle if it weren't for this problem. Shortly after buying it started leaking fluid so took it to Ford place & they said that it was overfull. ok it's a sealed transmission so I didn't put it in it. So the tool that sold it to me knew that the tranny was about to go out so I think that he doctored it. N E wayFord really needs to do something about this before they lose a lot of long time customers

- , Alto, GA, USA

Dec 312008

Explorer EB 4.0L V6

The 03 Explorer had the 02 tranny which is known for failure. First auto that I had to replace a tranny....grew up driving muscle cars that I drove hard.. but the ford is just weak and they know it.

- , Cumberland, Maine, USA

Nov 132009

Explorer V8

DON'T EVER BUY A FORD! They do not stand behind their cars at all. I have had this car for less than 6 years and the transmission has completely failed. Ford refuses to cover it or even help me with a "Goodwill repair" as I have seen others suggest. The car is not even paid off yet, so why should I have to pay $4000 to repair it? What kind of company doesn't stand behind their product and then screws the customer when it breaks??

- , Thornton, CO, USA