7.8

$1,993.00

Most common solutions:

2. replace shift solenoid (56 reports)
  3. rebuild transmission (55 reports)
  4. replace transmission (53 reports)
  5. replace shift solenoid and bands (9 reports)
  6. replaced transmission twice (2 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Explorer Eddie Bauer

After I heard from my neighbor about their Explorer having shifting problems, I decided to do a search and found out that 2000-2004 Explorers have a LOT of Transmission problems :(

- , Mansfield, TX, USA

Apr 282012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

It would have cost more to fix but I got a deal from an independent mechanic. This followed the classic symptons described by others in this forum i.e. slips between gears, rough shift, flashing O/D light. Ford should recall and reimburse for repair costs

- , Moore, OK, USA

Apr 212012

Explorer XLT

Well it seems I'm the next person in a long line of people who is having transmission issues with the 2004 Explorer and Ford still does not accept any fault for this. Out of the blue the service engine soon light comes on and turns out to be a transmission sensor code. The truck only has 62,000 miles on it. I take it to a transmission specialist and they tell me its about to fail - sensors, slipping, and skipping gears? To correct they would need to rebuild and it would only cost me $2,500. WTF!

- , Carle Place, NY, USA

Mar 092012

Explorer XL 4.0L

2004 Ford Exlorer.... Transmission appears to be slipping or skipping first and second gears and going directly to third gear. Tach revs to 4+ and the vehicle is hardly moving. Will come down to 2 on Tach after getting off the gas peddle.

- , Charlton, MA, USA

Jul 012011

Explorer 4.0L V6

My Ford Explorer been stuck in the lower gears and would lunge to shift to the next gear. During reverse, I have to wait for it to "catch" with a hard thump. Sometimes as long as 3 seconds. Worry it might fail on me soon.

- , Garden Grove, CA, USA

Mar 062012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L

This transmission is junk and its time for ford to man up and recall this car. oh yeah the rear end is junk too!

- , West Terre Haute, IN, USA

Jan 232012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

We were the original owners of a 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V6. We were overall happy with the car, for the exception of the transmission. The first rebuild (due to total failure) was at 75,000 miles in October 2010 and cost us $2,700. The transmission shop gave us a 2 year 25,000 mile warranty (which would take us to 100,000). I was driving the other day and it started slipping gears and revving the engine. It makes loud bangs and thuds when shifting , especially out of reverse. I cannot get out of 1st gear sometimes so I am forced to release the gas pedal and let it shift. It is a major inconvenience and has deterred me from buying a Ford car again.

- , Morris Plains, New Jersey, USA

Feb 042012

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

About 3 weeks ago i noticed that it was shifting extremely hard between gears and there was a 4-5 second delay when i'd put it in reverse. This morning when i left for work when it would shift into 3rd gear it would make a weird noise. Coming home from work when shifting into 3rd it missed the gear completely, maxed out the revs and felt like it was in neutral. O/D light started flashing and the check transmission light came on. Car won't go above second gear and also there is no reverse.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 092012

Explorer XLT V6

I started having the problem at about 80k miles and they tell me that it has to be rebuilt at a cost of approx $2000. I understand that ford is aware of the problem and have been for some time. i feel that ford should, at least, bear part of the cost for repair since that a it a design problem. if they don't i will never again buy a ford product and tell everyone i can that ford will not fix their problems.

- , Columbus, IN, USA

Apr 172009

Explorer LXT V6

When going in drive or reverse, there is a hesitation before the transmission engages. If you are driving on the highway and let up on the gas, when you accelerate again there is a pause and then it bangs in and goes forward. This was fixed the day before my extended waranty expired. When it started happening again, i am told i have to pay because i am no longer covered and i found several people had the same problem, so like them, i am waiting for a recall.

- , Belleville, New Jersey, USA

Feb 052012

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

We purchased this vehicle on friday evening 2/03/12 and the transmission began to act up on sunday 2/15/12. Is there a recall on this? I called around and they said this was common amongst these vehicles. If this is a common occurrence why is there not a recall?

- , Macungie, PA, USA

Jan 012012

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Took our 2004 for to mechanic due to transmission slipping. He checked it out and said we could try replacing the solenoid and if that didn't fix it that we would have to replace the entire transmission. He told us he just had another ford explorer owner in this week with the exact same problem. Cant believe this is happening at on 100,000 miles. Need this car to last.

- , Hendersonville, NC, USA

Sep 012011

Explorer V6

Transmission slips out of 2nd and 3rd gears, and/or cannot 'find' those gears when it tries to shift up into them. That results in a long coast in something resembling Neutral until the transmission 'finds' the gear again, causing the vehicle to lurch hard and make some bad sounding noises. I had the solenoid pack replaced a year ago when it did this before, but now the problem is back. A transmission service has looked at it again and now tells me that they would have to rebuild the transmission case to fix the problem.

The service techs told me that the problem is that the inserts where the control rods enter the transmission casing from the solenoid pack are made of steel, while the transmission case they thread into is made of aluminum. Pretty bad design to put a steel insert into an aluminum receiver if you ask me, since A) steel is stronger than aluminum, and B) they are dissimilar metals (meaning they corrode when put in contact). They tell me that they would need to drill out the casing, put in brass inserts, and then thread the steel rods into the brass inserts. About $2000 of work. Recall this thing and fix it like a responsible car company.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Aug 012011

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

Just had my transmission rebuilt since the OD planetary gear washers broke off and got caught in 2nd & 3rd gears. Had to tear down tranny and rebuild, including solenoid assy. Had about 59K miles when gears wouldn't shift correctly, and would shift hard. Final straw is when OD light wouldn't stop blinking and couldn't even get into 2nd or 3rd gear, at all.

- , Vancouver, WA, USA

Nov 232011

Explorer XLT V6

I just bought this truck in June. I'm a teacher and do not have a lot of money to spend on junk. I needed a reliable car and that is what Fords promise is so I got one. Ever since I have had to deal with this transmission, my back gate cracked, and the abs light stays on all of the time. WHAT A LEMON!!!!!! Now I'm screwed on 3 years of payments for a car that DOES NOT work. Thanks ford for screwing me.

- , Olney, MD, USA

Explorer 6.0L

We bought the vehicle used and found in car fax that transmission was rebuilt almost a year ago. The dealer doesn't want to honor the warranty on the transmission because we weren't the owners of the vehicle at the time. It almost appears that the transmission wasn't rebuilt properly. It is showing the classic problems of a bad transmission.

- , Ramsey, NJ, USA

Jan 102011

Explorer

My truck kept jerking every time I would shift gears which became extremely annoying. I took it to Aamco to get a diagnostic test and they told me that I would have to replace the engine and also have the transmission rebuilt! They told me that something must have happened with the transmission before I purchased it and who ever had the truck at the time did not repair it but put a temporary seal to keep it going for about 4 years. (i.e. I purchased it about 4 years ago so I personally feel that it was the dealership that screwed me over). Overall the total is $3,000 +! I was told not to drive the truck until I get it fixed but I have no choice. I just wish I would've known about this rip off!

- , West Orange, NJ, USA

Jan 132010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

First time the trans would not want to go into reverse unless throttle was applied then it would slam into gear and make all kinds of noises and then would do the same going into first or drive however u want to look at it so took it to the dealer and they told me that it was unusual for that to happen like they didnt know about it but they were able to fix it in a quick manner so that told me they were lieing to me and it had happened more then once before because i used to work in a dealer in the parts department and dealers do not keep parts in stock for something that was unusual. So they told me they replaced the solinoid and bands i was ok with that it was fixed and i was on my way but now 30,000 miles later the trans is all the way gone and now i have to foot the bill of 2400 to 3000 grand for a rebuild not happy at all

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Explorer

bullshit! 3000 to fix a transmission! A transmission shouldnt "go" at 80,000 miles...never buying ford again

- , South Boston, MA, USA

Nov 212011

Explorer

I just paid $8,000 for this car used. There's no way I should have to spend another $3000-$4000 fixing the transmission when it's only got 98,000 miles on it. Ford needs to have a recall and fix this problem!

- , Jefferson, LA, LA, USA