9.5

$2,965.00

Most common solutions:

1. rebuild transmission (24 reports)
  2. new transmission (17 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Explorer:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Dec 012014

Explorer XLT 6 cyl

Bought My 2005 FORD Explorer a few years ago, I loved this SUV.. Had 80k miles on it when i bought it and Shifted fine, Few months later it started winding out from first to second and then going into OD.. Had the tranny flushed out New Filter and fluid $110 No help .. Called tranny shop and the guy said, You need a rebuilt Transmission.. I was shocked he was so adamant about it.. He said he's done many in those Explorers and keeps 2 rebuilds on the shelf ready to swap.. $2300 was the price, didn't have $2300 to just drop on a tranny so i figured I'd drive it just be gentle with her.

Over the course of a few more months the tranny got worse to the point of being unsafe, I only drove it when i had to and that was scary, it would randomly pop out of gear.. OD light would start flashing and computer displayed check Transmission.. If I pulled over shut her off then start up it reset and off I'd go.. Did this for a few weeks only when my girl friend needed the 2012 Ford Focus (also having major tranny problems Now) When the Explorer would pop out of gear the engine would redline.. I didn't want to damage the engine..

After doing hours and hours of research and talking to countless Transmission experts, I came to the conclusion I do like the SUV and so does my girlfriend we dished out $2300 for Tranny.. So far so good but I feel with all these complaints it was obviously a Ford flaw and not a isolated issue do to improper usage or lack of maintenance, the SUV was and is very well taking care of fresh oil, Trans fluid ect..

Ford should Reimburse there customers for at least partial payment for the repair.. Sad thing here is we bought a 2012 Ford Focus and the Tranny is Junk.. Ford is giving us a run around about getting it fixed.. Just sad.. Me n my Women have decided.. Our next vehicle will NOT be a Ford (unless its a 96 -05 Mustang Cobra) lol gotta love the Mustang, even if Ford s*u*$

- , Burlington, MA, USA

Nov 072014

Explorer LS V8

Purchased this lemon from a dealer. The car had issues right after I left the lot. Turned it right around and took it back. They refused to take it, saying they would "look at it". Took it to the transmission shop, they said it had issues, gave me a BS warranty stating that if anything "Physically broke" on the tranny in 6 months, they'd replace it, but would NOT let me return the car. A year later, the Transmission Physically broke. Bands snapped, pieces laying in the transmission pan. I had to pay for it out of pocket. It has literally fallen apart on me everywhere else also.

- , Springfield, OH, USA

Apr 182007

Explorer XLT V6

I bought it back to the dealership. BOGUS! and yes they are BOGUS! they said I had to pay for a new transmission. WTF! $6000 @#$%^&&^%$#@#$%^& I only Had my SUV for less then two years. I had to pay for a rebuilt $3000 elsewhere. Dealerships are a rip-off!!!!

- , McAllen, TX, USA

May 122013

Explorer Eddie V6

Really upset. Lucky we had a warranty the first time the transmission went out. Well two years after the transmission went out again. This time its $1750 to repair. Also the rear differential is bad. This is all my fault I should of done my research on ford vehicles. Its seems they have common issues with transmissions and the rear differential. It funny when I took the vehicle to the transmission techs. Honestly I'm not lying when I say that there were only ford vehicles needing transmission repairs. I'll never buy a Ford again nor recommend one to any of my family or friends. Like they say FORD STANDS FOR "FIX OR REPAIR DAILY"

- , Roswell, GA, USA

May 202010

Explorer V6

They sold us on the Ford Explorer. Drove like a caddy. However, they never told us what was to come!

We have had many cars and trucks since my wife and I began driving 36 years ago at the age of 16. However, we have never, ever, in our wildest dreams been duped like this. This 2005 Ford Explorer doesn't even have a dipstick to check the transmission. I really could not believe that, but it's true. It sat in our garage and we never noticed a leak, that was a good thing. The problem lies in the plastic that is used in the transmission. We call it that for you should have seen what come out of our transmission;One of the main parts was so worn..I have no words.

The problem began on our way to see the doctor;the truck just out of the blue began shifting, grinding, jumping and we simply pulled off the road. After 3200.00 later we had our FORD back. We changed oil every 3,000.00 miles just as we do with all of our vehicles. When they recorded the mileage after the rebuild of the transmission the paperwork stated 101,526. After paying off the 2005 Ford Explorer in 2014, we paid additional 3200.00 more to keep it going. Now, our 2005 Ford Explorer has a DIPSTICK, and that would be me. More to come see brake bearings...See Rear end problems... SEE and Read and understand why I am the DIPSTICK!

- , Hamilton, AL, USA

Mar 012013

Explorer

We bought this vehicle less than 2 yrs ago, only to have to purchase a new transmission which when I looked the problem up everyone was complaining and begging for a recall, how did they get away with this it was a major malfunction inside the tranny faulty bushings which Ford new about, Oh did I mention we are on SSD and this was to be our final vehicle drained the acct 10k for it and 3k for the tranny after purchase had to ask for my title to get that.

NOW THE MOON ROOF IS LEAKING THE TUBES ARE NOT CLOGGED IT IS THE PIECE ITSELF IS CRACKED AROUND THE EDGE LEAKING UNDER THE ROOF LINER AND TRY TO FIX THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR THIS UNBELIEVABLE!!! YOU SELL FAULTY VEHICLES AND THEN REFUSE TO COVER YOUR LESS THAN DESCRIBED PARTS

EARLY IN 2014 AGAIN WE PAID TO FIX A LEAK COMING FROM THE ROOF INSIDE TURNED OUT TO BE CLOGGED DRAIN WELL NOW THEIR FINE BUT THE WHOLE SUN/MOON ROOF NEEDS REPLACED SEE IT IS MOLDED TO THE FRAME AND NOTHING YOU CAN DO AND IF THEY FIX THE CRACK THEN WHAT i AM SO SICK I CANNOT IMAGINE A DEALERSHIP SELLING A VEHICLE LIKE THIS WITH NO OUTLET FOR THE BUYER TO HELP AND ON TOP OF IT ALL WE LOVE OUR EXPLORER, BUT CANNOT AFFORD THIS WE HAD A BOOT FIXED AND THE LEAK ASSESSED TODAY 500 DOLLARS AND HAD TO PT THE ROOF OFF FOR A COUPE MONTHS THERE'S NO MONEY SHAME ON YOU BEANS FORD.

THE STEERING WHEEL STICKS TO OFF AND ON.

- , Warminster, PA, USA

Mar 112013

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

Was driving on the highway when my transmission light came on. Suddenly, the vehicle started losing power, and the engine would "scream" when I tried to accelerate. I was able to pull onto the shoulder. The vehicle would not run, and I had to have it towed! The transmission was rebuilt at a cost of $3,000!

- , Rivervale, NJ, USA

Aug 082014

Explorer LXT 4L V6

Vehicle Transmission would not go into gear (forward or reverse) immediately. Had to wait several seconds for transmission to engage. Transmission would shift hard, sort of slap shift very rough, sometimes making a banging sound and feel. Transmission would slip between gears when shifting and sometimes made clunking and grinding noises. Transmission made a loud clunk when downshifting to come to a stop and sometimes made a grinding noise and vibration when slowing down to come to a stop.

Brought the vehicle to two transmission shops to be checked. The first shop (AAMCO) said the transmission is shot and would have to be replaced with a new transmission, at a cost of $4200.00. With a 3 year warranty. The second transmission shop (Gibraltar Transmissions) said they could rebuild the transmission and fix everything with it for $3400.00. With a 50,000 mile 4 year warranty. I chose to have it rebuilt to try and save money. The vehicle transmission was rebuilt at a cost of $3400.00 and it seams to operate very well. The transmission shop that did the work said that the transmission they rebuilt will most likely outlast the rest of the vehicle. I love my Explorer and have no other complaints about it.

- , Sayreville, NJ, USA

Oct 062005

Explorer XL V6

I repeatedly took my car and have documents of multiple times asking Town and Country Ford to fix my transmission and all they would say is can't duplicate customer's concern. Each time they said it never does this problem with us! They continued this pattern until my warranty was out then they could find it when I could pay for it!!

I drove the vehicle with transmission lunging like I would hit a tree in reverse on many occasions. And multiple roaring hubs replaced!!! Now the rear end still roars and was told that has been needing replacement for years! Ford should have a class action on transmissions!!!

- , Henderson, KY, USA

Aug 012014

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

click to see larger images

transmission failure

Transmission should not fail before 100k miles. Ford has mad horrible transmissions and they should be recalled.

- , Allendale, NJ, USA

Jul 242013

Explorer V8

Had to have transmission rebuilt at 170,000. Noticed intermittent instances of not being able to shift to reverse when on a slight incline.

- , Milford, OH, USA

Nov 032013

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

We went to the mountains of NC on Friday 11/1, going up there the transmission started slipping. Coming home the transmission started slipping and then it started smoking. We made it to the Ford place, about 2 1/2 hours from home. Cost me $4175 to get it fixed. The issue here is why would a transmission go out at 140,000 miles. I have a Mercury Grand Marquis with 245,000 miles never had a new motor or transmission. Leads me to believe Ford intentionally puts crappy stuff on a vehicle to make money off of you. I will never buy another Ford product as long as I live, I am done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Zebulon, NC, USA

May 232012

Explorer 4.0L

So I've only had my Explorer for 3 months. And yes, I understand used vehicles have glitches, but this is no glitch. 2 weeks after I bought my Explorer the transmission went out. I called the dealership I got it from and they fixed it for free, no problem no complaints. I figured I was good to go for a few years.

WRONG, yesterday my transmission went out again and it's the same problem, they solenoid, or how ever you spell it. So needless to say I'm pretty pissed and will never own another Ford again. Since the transmission was fixed last time it only had 3- 4,000 miles on it. It shouldn't have broke again this soon. Ford needs to recall these transmissions.

I'm so angry b/c now I'm stuck with a car payment and I can't even drive my truck b/c every time I turn around it's in the shop. Ford YOU S***.

- , Pace, FL, USA

Nov 302011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

This vehicle started to downshift with a THUNK!. The thunk got so severe that you felt it could knock dentures out of your mouth! Took it to two transmission shops. They tried replacing a sensor but that didn't work. Had to have the transmission completely redone. It's now 18 months later and we're starting to get an occasional thunk when it downshifts. Also, it has started to flash the O/D Off warning light and message "Check Transmission." The transmission shop has been unable to determine what the problem is because those lights don't stay on for longer than 5 minutes.

- , Caldwell, ID, USA

Feb 102013

Explorer ES C8

I can not believe I needed a new transmission at less than 89000 miles. This should be covered under warranty when you make a substandard product.

- , Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Feb 072013

Explorer Xlt 4x4 4.0L

have a 2005 ford explorer 4x4 has easy 71,000 miles on it . I ALREADY HAD TO PAY FOR A NEW STEERING COLUMN FOR THAT COST $1700 AND NOW A TRANSMISSION. THAT'S BULLSHIT. FORD BUILDS ITS AUTOMOBILE'S TO RIP PEOPLE OFF. WHO CAN AFFORD TO BUY A NEW TRANSMISSION BECOZ A REBUILT TRANSMISSION WONT LAST. FORD IS A RIP OFF.

- , Lemon Grove, CA, USA

Mar 192013

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Ford is a POS company that has again lost another customer. transmissions should not go out at 100k. they know their stuff is junk and do nothing to fix it. luckily i was able to replace it myself and picked up a rebuild for 1100. but i shouldn't of even had to do that.

- , Vandalia, OH, USA

Mar 152011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

This generation is notorious for tranny issues. This is precisely why I purchased an extended service contract at time of purchase.

- , Groveport, OH, USA

Apr 262013

Explorer XLT V6

On my way to work today,"CHECK TRANSMISSION" pops up on the digital display. Lucky for me I was less than a mile from a ford dealership. I checked into service and waited for what I hoped would be good news. NOT THE CASE!!! The service tech takes a seat next to me on a recliner and says "Its gone from bad to worse." At least she was comfortable. To make a long story short I am now looking at a $3000.00+ job. The more I read complaint after complaint I had to write one of my own. THE TRANSMISSIONS IN YOUR EXPLORERS ARE CRAP!!!! I have never bought into the whole "Found On Road Dead" comments,or the "Fix Or Repair Daily"s. I just expect a safe,reliable vehicle. I am now in the position of paying the overpriced estimate so I don't lose my job or riding public transit the 2hr route it takes to get me to my shop. The people are not made of money. When manufactures knowingly allow garbage to hit the streets it puts our pocketbooks,livelihoods and even our safety at risk. ACCOUNTABILITY!!!!

- , Houston, TX, USA

Feb 062013

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

my 2005 ford explorer for the most part has been a good car except for the transmission. The transmissions in the explorer are terrible. Ford motor company knows this but refuses to address the issues. the dealership has given me two options rebuild or replace. Why would i want to swap one crappy transmission for another crappy transmission and at the 3,400 price tag. The thanks we get for bailing them out.

- , El Paso, TX, USA